Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Jurickson Profar 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
964 replies to this topic

#1 GreenGold74

GreenGold74

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Its encouraging that the Rangers value the prized prospect they have in rebutting him in all the major trade discussions to this point. At the same time there is still no open spot for the much hyped SS too. Will the Rangers be desperate in their need to fill their ace SP void offer Profar or Andrus to the Mets for Dickey??? I forsee alot of angst in what his value in the early drafts are if we go into spring training with Kinsler and Andrus still on the roster. Alot of time before ST for the dust to settle but this could be one of the more volatile prerankings coming into the season. Some will buy into the hype and tremendous long term value. Others will argue he will be a waste of roster spot early in the season and not want to pay a high price on draft day.

What are everyone's expectations and projections for how everything will fall for Profar in '13?

#2 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,616 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm committed to him in a keeper league where we have to keep 6 people, but I'm not expecting a great 2013 fantasy season or anything.

It does appear there is a good chance he starts the season as their opening day 2b, and in 2013 might have dual MI eligibility. I think for a full season in the bigs at 20 or whatever he has a good shot at hitting double digit homers and SBs.... which if he carries a 275 BA or higher with, is pretty useful albeit not elite. Put me down for 12-270-15. Wont guess on the Runs or RBIs without having a good idea of where he bats.

Went ahead and looked up fangraphs and..

I guess Bill James currently has him down for 16-264-20

Overall his ADP might be a little high this year if he gets a lot of hype due to Mike Trout and Bryce Harper's season last year.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#3 AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Well they just said Kinsler could see some time at 1B. Profar could play some 2b then

#4 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,838 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

I think there's still more than smoke to the J-Up trade rumors, FWIW. Just a gut feeling, sadly, for now...

(Which if it's not clear, has to involve 1 of the 2 SS's, which would then free up Profar one way or the other)

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#5 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Better real life player than fantasy player.

#6 GreenGold74

GreenGold74

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

There are many possibilities that can still come to pass. Rangers management could feel pressure to make some kind of impactful move after losing out on Shields and Greinke and make a play for Upton and Dickey. I think in both those situations the path for a starting position could be as simple as Olt being dealt and Kinsler moving to first to make room. If they deal for Upton the D-Backs assuredly will want a SS in return and won't budge on that demand which would mean they'd trade either Andrus or Profar. Profar as a D-Back or Ranger doesn't kill his value or upside in the least and might actually increase since he'd have a better opportunity to hit higher up the batting order on a rebuilding team.

Even if Olt is moved and they clear up a position at 2B this season I am not sure his fantasy value will be anything special. For one I feel like they'd leave Andrus and Kinsler atop the order so you'd be looking at him getting his feet wet hitting 8th or 9th. So his runs would be depressed and possibly some of his SB's. If they don't deal Olt and plan on playing him at 1B significantly then Profar's playing time this season will be limited to the point they may actually consider starting him in AAA to preserve some of his service time and give him more AB's to develop rather than platoon him 3 or 4 games a week. Ultimately I feel like Bill James projections are the realistic output we can expect as a floor which in the big picture given the weakening offensive output of the SS position isn't all that bad for a 20 year old. But he is clearly going to likely to receive some of the Matt Moore type hype going into early drafts and someone is going to have to overpay for him if they want him.

#7 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,616 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

There are many possibilities that can still come to pass. Rangers management could feel pressure to make some kind of impactful move after losing out on Shields and Greinke and make a play for Upton and Dickey. I think in both those situations the path for a starting position could be as simple as Olt being dealt and Kinsler moving to first to make room. If they deal for Upton the D-Backs assuredly will want a SS in return and won't budge on that demand which would mean they'd trade either Andrus or Profar. Profar as a D-Back or Ranger doesn't kill his value or upside in the least and might actually increase since he'd have a better opportunity to hit higher up the batting order on a rebuilding team.

Even if Olt is moved and they clear up a position at 2B this season I am not sure his fantasy value will be anything special. For one I feel like they'd leave Andrus and Kinsler atop the order so you'd be looking at him getting his feet wet hitting 8th or 9th. So his runs would be depressed and possibly some of his SB's. If they don't deal Olt and plan on playing him at 1B significantly then Profar's playing time this season will be limited to the point they may actually consider starting him in AAA to preserve some of his service time and give him more AB's to develop rather than platoon him 3 or 4 games a week. Ultimately I feel like Bill James projections are the realistic output we can expect as a floor which in the big picture given the weakening offensive output of the SS position isn't all that bad for a 20 year old. But he is clearly going to likely to receive some of the Matt Moore type hype going into early drafts and someone is going to have to overpay for him if they want him.

I thought they were more optimistic than a floor. Those numbers would be great for a 20 year old MI.

#8 GreenGold74

GreenGold74

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

Everyone touts him as some generational quality SS so the numbers may seem optimistic but in line with what talent of that elite level could put up. Especally given the offensive support he'd be surrounded by and pitchers not focussing on getting him out as much. Those numbers seem to assume Kinsler will play alot of 1B and Profar would get 450 or so AB's at least. I just think if things stay status quo its going to be a hard sell to draft him as high as you might actually have to in redraft leagues because as of now his PT is very uncertain. Personally I am of the belief in wanting to see what the prospect does in the big leagues first before I invest a keeper slot or high pick. You might miss out on some but better than giving up a sure thing in the hopes you have the next Hanley.

#9 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,616 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

As of this second, I'm penciling Profar in to be the every day 2b and batting in the latter half of the lineup. I just don't see how he doesn't crack the starting lineup even with Hamilton back. Kinsler at 1st. Moreland/Olt as DH/subs.

#10 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

So is he projected to be in their starting lineup this coming year?

#11 pduce242424

pduce242424

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

Kinsler to the OF, Profar at 2nd has been my prediction since last season and I'm sticking to it...if he has a nice spring he'll stay up, and if he stays he will play. The Rangers have 2 OF spots up in the air right now...LF/CF. David Murphy probably deserves a spot. Not sure why Kinsler would move to first with Olt and Moreland as options. One thing for sure is the Rangers will have lots of flexibility in terms of guys playing multiple positions, which should keep the team fresh.

#12 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

I'd think ot to be highly unlikely he cracks the team out of spring. But I'm sure he will get a mid season look.

#13 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I'd think ot to be highly unlikely he cracks the team out of spring. But I'm sure he will get a mid season look.

He could make the team out of spring. But I wouldn't expect him too. He was very solid at AA, but really there's no reason The Rangers rush him to the show as they have Elvis Andrus and Ian Kinsler.

I'm thinking he starts in AAA and gets his first look when Kinsler goes down as day-to-day for 2 weeks+. Very surprised to see Kinsler break 155 games two years in a row.

#14 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

why were they so reluctant to move Andrus for Upton with Profar in the fold?

#15 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

why were they so reluctant to move Andrus for Upton with Profar in the fold?

Kinsler will be moved off of 2B for Profar eventually, possibly as soon as this year.

Edited by jsp2014, 02 January 2013 - 02:11 PM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#16 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,998 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Olt and Profar won't be on the opening day roster unless there is an injury....

Jeff Wilson ‏@JeffWilson_FWST
Jon Daniels says Jurickson Profar and Mike Olt won't make #Rangers roster if there isn't regular playing time for them.

"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#17 BigPapi44

BigPapi44

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Well apparently the Rangers continue to pursue J-Up and would think either Andrus or Profar would be part of that package.

#18 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Well apparently the Rangers continue to pursue J-Up and would think either Andrus or Profar would be part of that package.

I don't see how they could get upton without Andrus or Profar... I don't think Olt and Perez would be enough unless the D Backs get desperate.
No Days Off

#19 archibjd

archibjd

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

UP

I don't see how they could get upton without Andrus or Profar... I don't think Olt and Perez would be enough unless the D Backs get desperate.

Not sure about the years remaining on the JUP contract but I would think trading at least Andrus would be a no-brainer to get JUP. There's no point in having two light hitting SS's and Kinsler's value is at 2nd.

#20 hard1

hard1

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

I agree why aren't the rangers trading a ss for Upton? Seems silly not to trade depth for a legit starter in their outfield.