Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

* * * - - 4 votes

Ed Davis 2012-2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
373 replies to this topic

#1 mrsmoke

mrsmoke

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Looks like Ed stands to see some starters minutes over the next few games. Bargnani went down with an injury and Amir Johnson is going to be suspended for throwing his mouthpiece at an official.

He's been one of the few bright spots for the Raptors this year, playing with a PER over 20 this year in limited minutes.

16 mins per game, FG% 54, 6.3 pts, 5.3 reb (2.1 oreb), 74% ft, 0.7 blks.

#2 Boom Boom Pau

Boom Boom Pau

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

If we could only get a good update on Bargnani.  If Bargnani is out for a while (2 weeks+), Davis will be a very good pickup.

#3 League Pass

League Pass

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

My huntch is we are going to find out at some point that Bargnani has a broken bone. I get the feeling that in the middle of another road blowout ...in a 4-17 season ... they werent ready to let there fan base know that 1 of there 2 marquee players is going to be out for 4-5 weeks ...... (I say Marquee with a grain of salt too)

#4 rayruuu

rayruuu

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Yea Bargs is out indefinitely, Davis a lot more intriguing now

#5 TheWhiteMamba

TheWhiteMamba

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

I thought this guy was gonna be sooo good after the end to his rookie year. He might put up some solid rebounding numbers but this team is so bad right now its hard to say if he'll be worth owning
12 team roto, 9 cats(NO turnovers, 9th cat is double doubles)
PG: Carter-Williams, Oladipo, Augustin
SG: Korver, Ellis, Leonard
SF: Durant, Leonard, Middleton
PF: Millsap, Bosh,
C: Drummond, Hawes, Gortat

#6 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,736 posts
  • Interests:Sports are awesome.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

If given 30+ minutes (which seems highly likely tonight with the Raptors only have 8 healthy bodies), Davis is a threat for 12 points / 10 boards / 2 blocks.

I'm not sure how much he has progressed since entering the NBA, because I try not to watch Raptor games :lol: , but he has an above average back-to-the-basket game.  Very solid jump hooks, especially with his dominant left hand.  His jumper was incredibly broken at UNC, not sure if that has improved, although I've noticed his FT% has improved dramatically which could be a good sign.  He has always been a great shot blocker through help defense.  There's little doubt in my mind that he'll produce rebounds and blocks in starter minutes (30+).
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#7 the1gq2nvy

the1gq2nvy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

the xrays were negative so im wondering why they would label it as indefinately. Any other injuries to elbows that cant be found by xrays?
14 team Head to Head Money league

PG- D. Will
G- M.Conley
G - D. Lillard
SG- Jr. Smith
SF- Delfino
F- Amir Johnson
F- M. Webster
PF- D. Cousins
C- T. Splitter
C. B.Lopez
Bn: Rubio, Charlie V, M.Barnes, Bogut

#8 etoobama

etoobama

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Who will benefit the most among Jonas,Ed and Amir???

#9 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,751 posts
  • Interests:Stocks, fantasy sports and Real Estate investment....

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Now or never for Ed Davis with this news. I would add him in every league possible if I were a manager
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#10 VTwoK

VTwoK

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Jonas and Ed at first will be the primary beneficiaries, Amir when he comes back will eat into both their minutes so timeshare will be inevitable but all of them will generally see and increase in minutes.

#11 mrsmoke

mrsmoke

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

View PostTarheels_2433, on 12 December 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

If given 30+ minutes (which seems highly likely tonight with the Raptors only have 8 healthy bodies), Davis is a threat for 12 points / 10 boards / 2 blocks.

I'm not sure how much he has progressed since entering the NBA, because I try not to watch Raptor games :lol: , but he has an above average back-to-the-basket game.  Very solid jump hooks, especially with his dominant left hand.  His jumper was incredibly broken at UNC, not sure if that has improved, although I've noticed his FT% has improved dramatically which could be a good sign.  He has always been a great shot blocker through help defense.  There's little doubt in my mind that he'll produce rebounds and blocks in starter minutes (30+).

Being from Toronto, I can tell you that Ed Davis is legit.

I can give you a bit of inside scoop on the Raps, seeing as I have been a diehard fan for the past 20 years. There are politics taking place on the Raptors preventing Davis from taking over. Our GM landed the job and his first task in office was to use the #1 draft pick we won in 2006, which he used on his golden goose, Andrea Bargnani. Time and time again, Bryan Colangelo has defended this pick, and no matter how bad Bargnani plays, he is immune to seeing extended bench time.

The reality is, each year Ed Davis has progressed statistically but had his minutes reduced. It's got to a point where if you visit any popular Raptors forums fans are practically screaming for Ed Davis to start. Now this year, Ed has been floating a PER of 20 with the best TS% on the team.

For us fans from Toronto, the Bargnani injury is a little suspicious. Yeah he fell, but all x-rays and MRIs came back negative, now he's out indefinitely? Apparently there was a closed door meeting with Raptors players and staff after the 30 point loss to Utah. One of the key points that came out of that meeting was that players were calling out Bargnani for his non-chalant attitude.

I think there are major changes afoot in Toronto. Coinciding with this news are quotes from Toronto's head coach stating now is the time for Ed Davis to prove himself. Our core players (Derozan, Lowry and Ross) are all tight friends with Ed Davis, they hang out regularly here in Toronto and I feel have better chemistry on and off the court. I think the team is fed up with Bargnani and its very likely we have seen the last game for him in a Raptors uniform. Also, dont be surprised if our GM is fired shortly after.

Edited by mrsmoke, 12 December 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#12 TheWhiteMamba

TheWhiteMamba

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

You really think Bargs is done in TO? Would they just sit him down the rest of the season or reduce his role? He seems almost to be as about untradeable as it gets to me unless the Lakers really get desperate
12 team roto, 9 cats(NO turnovers, 9th cat is double doubles)
PG: Carter-Williams, Oladipo, Augustin
SG: Korver, Ellis, Leonard
SF: Durant, Leonard, Middleton
PF: Millsap, Bosh,
C: Drummond, Hawes, Gortat

#13 Gumbo_Ghost

Gumbo_Ghost

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Bargnani owner, just dropped Ben Gordon for him in a 12 teamed.
Need the boards and possible blocks.

I'll take 12 Points, 10 Boards...

#14 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,751 posts
  • Interests:Stocks, fantasy sports and Real Estate investment....

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Very good and useful insight. thanks for taking the time to post

View Postmrsmoke, on 12 December 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostTarheels_2433, on 12 December 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Being from Toronto, I can tell you that Ed Davis is legit.

I can give you a bit of inside scoop on the Raps, seeing as I have been a diehard fan for the past 20 years. There are politics taking place on the Raptors preventing Davis from taking over. Our GM landed the job and his first task in office was to use the #1 draft pick we won in 2006, which he used on his golden goose, Andrea Bargnani. Time and time again, Bryan Colangelo has defended this pick, and no matter how bad Bargnani plays, he is immune to seeing extended bench time.

The reality is, each year Ed Davis has progressed statistically but had his minutes reduced. It's got to a point where if you visit any popular Raptors forums fans are practically screaming for Ed Davis to start. Now this year, Ed has been floating a PER of 20 with the best TS% on the team.

For us fans from Toronto, the Bargnani injury is a little suspicious. Yeah he fell, but all x-rays and MRIs came back negative, now he's out indefinitely? Apparently there was a closed door meeting with Raptors players and staff after the 30 point loss to Utah. One of the key points that came out of that meeting was that players were calling out Bargnani for his non-chalant attitude.

I think there are major changes afoot in Toronto. Coinciding with this news are quotes from Toronto's head coach stating now is the time for Ed Davis to prove himself. Our core players (Derozan, Lowry and Ross) are all tight friends with Ed Davis, they hang out regularly here in Toronto and I feel have better chemistry on and off the court. I think the team is fed up with Bargnani and its very likely we have seen the last game for him in a Raptors uniform. Also, dont be surprised if our GM is fired shortly after.

EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#15 TxBoy85

TxBoy85

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

So Ed Davis is a must add? I'm not at familiar with him or Toronto's situation.

#16 Sonny_D

Sonny_D

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostTxBoy85, on 12 December 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Add now ask questions later.

#17 mrsmoke

mrsmoke

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostTxBoy85, on 12 December 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

I'd say yes, considering Ed is the Raptors team leading rebounder playing only 15 minutes a night.

Not only that, he is a career 57% shooter and is a double double machine when given 30+ minutes.

He gives you FG%, OREB, DREB, BLKs, STL low turnovers.

#18 lacit1707

lacit1707

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

No offense or anything....but that "insider" knowledge being from Toronto is pure speculation at this point. I honestly find it a little far fetched they will just sit Bargnani for no reason.

That being said, i picked up Ed Davis lol....trying to get in before someone else scoops him but i hope your "insider" info is correct
10 Team 9-Cat H2H (PTS,FG%,FT%,3's,REB,AST,STL,BLK,TO)

PG - M. Conley, R. Westbrook, J. Farmar

SG - M. Ellis, T. Evans, T. Allen

SF - L. James, C. Parsons, K. Singler, M. Barnes

PF - T. Gibson

C - R. Hibbert, J. Valanciunas, S. Hawes, A. Ajinca

#19 rayruuu

rayruuu

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

I remember Knicks boards clamouring for Lin before Linsanity, so I feel like the fan bases know best

#20 mrsmoke

mrsmoke

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

View Postlacit1707, on 12 December 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

No offense or anything....but that "insider" knowledge being from Toronto is pure speculation at this point. I honestly find it a little far fetched they will just sit Bargnani for no reason.

That being said, i picked up Ed Davis lol....trying to get in before someone else scoops him but i hope your "insider" info is correct

Bargs Team Meeting Criticism:
http://sports.nation...her-crossroads/

Bargs Injury Speculation:
http://forums.realgm...eca60c335bf7076

Not trying to speculate. Just adding some info for those who most likely dont follow my sad-sack team.

Edited by mrsmoke, 12 December 2012 - 03:43 PM.