Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

* * * * * 2 votes

Giancarlo Stanton 2013 OutlookWill he get out of Miami?

• Please log in to reply
1416 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,494 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Stanton has tremendous upside. He can probably easily hit 50 homers and will probably be a threat for 60 in the next few years. But it seems lilke his value is going to be capped this year with a mediocre and joke of a team around him. When will Stanton request a trade (or has he)? He needs to get out of Miami. I don't think there is any doubt that he will be highly coveted if he becomes available, but when or will it happen?

Edited by baltimore_boy, 11 December 2012 - 04:03 PM.

Bring back Ray!

RotoJunction.com

#2 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 11 December 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Stanton has tremendous upside. He can probably easily hit 50 homers and will probably be a threat for 60 in the next few years. But it seems lilke his value is going to be capped this year with a mediocre and joke of a team around him. When will Stanton request a trade (or has he)? He needs to get out of Miami. I don't think there is any doubt that he will be highly coveted if he becomes available, but when or will it happen?

I'm fairly sure he has voiced his displeasure with the Marlins' decisions, but they want the world for him in trade. Hopefully the Marlins can just put something surprising together (they tried with a bunch of stars that didn't work, maybe a bunch of scrubs will???), either way I doubt his value is shot next year because of the team around him. Lets just hope he breaks his early season/April curse this year.

#3 the_wolfman

the_wolfman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Best young power hitter in the game.  That said, I'll probably avoid him in drafts this year depending on where his ADP ends up.  Miami is probably going to be a trainwreck of a team and they don't have a lot going for them offensively besides Giancarlo.
If you have to finish your sentence with "cool story, I know" it probably wasn't worth saying in the first place.

#4 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

View Postthe_wolfman, on 11 December 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

Best young power hitter in the game.  That said, I'll probably avoid him in drafts this year depending on where his ADP ends up.  Miami is probably going to be a trainwreck of a team and they don't have a lot going for them offensively besides Giancarlo.

I agree and tried to acquire him in an offseason trade before the Marlins salary dump.  As of now I wouldn't want him for the package that I offered as he will probably get walked more than Barry Bonds with the Giants.  Exciting player but having no support will hurt his value.
4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#5 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 11 December 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Fangraphs addressed this very question a couple of weeks ago, and it's well worth the read: http://www.fangraphs...-even-possible/

I won't spoil it by repeating the conclusion, but it does a nice job of considering his future earning potential through his upcoming arbitration years and what that would cost in terms of a return.
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

#6 coleporter

coleporter

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

Would Ellsbury, Salty and 3 top prospects get it done?
C Gomes
1B Goldschmidt
2B Altuve
3B Uribe
SS Villar
OF Puig
OF Myers
Of  Ozuna
UTL Castellanos

Bench:, Abreu Kubel, Brandon Crawford, Schoop
Multi-Position: Castellanos (OF, 3B) Schoop (2B,3B)
SP: Fernandez, Teheran, Cingrani, Alex Wood,Martin Perez. RP: Rosenthal,  Carlos Martinez, Doolittle
DL: Middlebrooks, Calhoun

#7 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,079 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

View Postcoleporter, on 14 December 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

Would Ellsbury, Salty and 3 top prospects get it done?

It's hard to say where Ellsbury is right now.  But if he's anything close to where he was 2 seasons ago then it would easily get it done.

#8 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Just saw a speculative article on Stanton to TEX. Just imagine that guy in TEX.
Hanging ropes are as good as step ladders to those who know how to use them.

#9 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

As a Stanton owner in an NL-only dynasty, I don't want to imagine him in Arlington.
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#10 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

View Posttucker26, on 14 December 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

I believe the article I linked projected his production there as something along the lines of "eleven billion home runs".

Or, many many, many trips around the bases for a long time.
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

#11 coleporter

coleporter

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

The Sox should try. Unfortunately they won't.
C Gomes
1B Goldschmidt
2B Altuve
3B Uribe
SS Villar
OF Puig
OF Myers
Of  Ozuna
UTL Castellanos

Bench:, Abreu Kubel, Brandon Crawford, Schoop
Multi-Position: Castellanos (OF, 3B) Schoop (2B,3B)
SP: Fernandez, Teheran, Cingrani, Alex Wood,Martin Perez. RP: Rosenthal,  Carlos Martinez, Doolittle
DL: Middlebrooks, Calhoun

#12 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

View Postcoleporter, on 14 December 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

Most teams should try....I suspect the Marlins aren't exactly looking to give him away right now
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#13 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,494 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostTheJRod2006, on 15 December 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

Most teams should try....I suspect the Marlins aren't exactly looking to give him away right now

Yeah. Stanton is a top 5 hitter. He has extreme raw power and isn't going to come cheaply. If he is available, I'm sure every team will try. He's someone to buid a team around. Unfortunately, the price is going to be sky high, so it is doubtful he is traded.
Bring back Ray!

RotoJunction.com

#14 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostTimmah!, on 14 December 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

View Posttucker26, on 14 December 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

I believe the article I linked projected his production there as something along the lines of "eleven billion home runs".

Or, many many, many trips around the bases for a long time.

He probably would get tired of going around the bases in Texas.
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#15 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 15 December 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

Yeah. Stanton is a top 5 hitter. He has extreme raw power and isn't going to come cheaply. If he is available, I'm sure every team will try. He's someone to buid a team around. Unfortunately, the price is going to be sky high, so it is doubtful he is traded.

Hopefully by the time he is available (which I'm guessing, via trade, is 2015), the Yankees prospects are close to ML ready
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

#16 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Right. But Tex has the dudes to pull it off now. Not likely, but they could offer something crazy.
Hanging ropes are as good as step ladders to those who know how to use them.

#17 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

View Posttucker26, on 15 December 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

Right. But Tex has the dudes to pull it off now. Not likely, but they could offer something crazy.

I dont think Miami would trade him, barring receiving immediate impact MLB talent and top level prospects.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#18 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

where do you think he'll end up going in drafts? i was ready to consider him as a back of the first round guy. but now when you factor in his team, against his ballpark and injury past, isn't it possible the sentiment becomes really negative and he falls to late second? possible he could fall to the third? I would love him in round 2. round 3 i'd be goin nuts.

edit: just saw that espn has him ranked 16 overall, ahead of the likes of Longoria (20), Strasburg (17), Hamilton (26!) Kershaw (19), Tulo (37), Ellsbury (38), Hanley (34), Pedroia (29), Beltre (30)

Edited by LyondellBasell, 16 December 2012 - 07:43 AM.

12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Mesoraco
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Encarnacion
CI/ Belt
2B/ J Lowrie
SS/ Everth
MI/ Hardy
4 OF/ Rios, Bautista, Cespedes, Leonys
Utl/ Dunn
SP/ Felix, Sale, Teheran, Bailey, Lohse
Eovaldi, Peralta, M Perez
RP/ Ross, Richards, Hawkins
BN/ Sandoval, BJ Upton
DL/Latos

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#19 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Looking back at his home/road splits, they're not as bad as I thought they might be in terms of the power numbers....and that's factoring in that he missed time as well. He's still only 23, so I gotta think that he hasn't even scratched the surface yet on his potential. LoMo isn't great, but he should be good enough to somewhat protect Stanton in the lineup. I'm still high on Stanton even with the Marlins firesale.

#20 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

We make it sound like he had the worlds greatest protection around him last year. The only cog protecting him in the lineup that I see gone is Hanley ramirez's corpse- not exactly someone I'm terrified of pitching to. Stantons done fine with limited protection before. The lineup on the whole got a lot worse, but protection wise immediately before and after his spot in the order I don't see earth shattering downgrades.

View PostTheJRod2006, on 16 December 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

Looking back at his home/road splits, they're not as bad as I thought they might be in terms of the power numbers....and that's factoring in that he missed time as well. He's still only 23, so I gotta think that he hasn't even scratched the surface yet on his potential. LoMo isn't great, but he should be good enough to somewhat protect Stanton in the lineup. I'm still high on Stanton even with the Marlins firesale.

SIG UPDATED TO INCLUDE FOOTBALL!

Purple Breesus   1st place place in points/standings

12 Team PPR

QB Brees
WR1 Dez Bryant
WR2 Demaryius Thomas
WR3 Jordy Nelson
RB1 Adrian Peterson
RB2 Darren Sproles
TE Rob Gronkowski
FLEX Kendall Wright OR Pierre Thomas OR Bobby Rainey

K Crosby
DEF Saints, Jets (playing weekly matchups)

BENCH: Mike Tolbert, Mario Manningham, Miles Austin, Cordarrelle Patterson, Chris Ogbonnaya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users