Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Arizona D-Backs 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#1 Baseball Jonze

Baseball Jonze

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Good haul for Indians - Choo for Stubbs and Bauer. I don't know what Az was thinking is Gregorius even a highly thought of prospect?
I don't care who is on your fantasy team.

#2 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Does he still have his rapping business from last year? Also, I don't blame the D-Backs for trading him. He really is arrogant and I like the move because now they don't have to put up with it.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 11 December 2012 - 09:39 PM.

Bring back Ray!

#3 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Good haul for Indians - Choo for Stubbs and Bauer. I don't know what Az was thinking is Gregorius even a highly thought of prospect?

Everyone killed Dayton Moore for the Myers-Shields trade, but this move by Towers is much worse. Didi Gregorius, Tony Sipp, and Lars Andersen? While giving up a potential top of the rotation pitcher. I'd be furious if I were an Arizona fan. Bauer must be incredibly insufferable if Towers was willing to give him away for this package. I think Francona may be able to manage his personality a bit better than a harda** like Gibson.

#4 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Does he still have his rapping business from last year? Also, I don't blame the D-Backs for trading him. He really is arrogant and I like the me because now they don't have to put up with it.

Don't care how insufferable he is, this is an AWFUL deal for them. One of the worst I've seen in years.

#5 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Everyone killed Dayton Moore for the Myers-Shields trade, but this move by Towers is much worse. Didi Gregorius, Tony Sipp, and Lars Andersen? While giving up a potential top of the rotation pitcher. I'd be furious if I were an Arizona fan. Bauer must be incredibly insufferable if Towers was willing to give him away for this package. I think Francona may be able to manage his personality a bit better than a harda** like Gibson.

I'm one of those who can't say a whole lot that's good for KC or Moore in the other trade - and yup, I cannot believe Towers made this one.

I realize they must have some major concerns on Bauer, but the whole take-home message from the TB-KC trade is that pitching is like platinum on the trade market.

Unbelievably poor return, barring a phoenix-like ascension of Gregorius (no way I can see Anderson or Sipp breaking out after this much time - I suppose Anderson's not quite done yet, but at 1B, such limited ceiling anyways, ESPECIALLY with Goldy at 1st..... WOW.) I thought Towers was nuts to consider Asdrubal & a prospect for Bauer - wow, it's like he got shell-gamed by a streetside hustler...

FWIW, Choo in that bandbox and lineup, hitting leadoff, moving to NL (and playing @ home in CIN, @ MIL, @ STL, @Wrigley...). Well, that sound you hear is the Choo hype train taking off. ;)

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#6 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

What do people know about Didi? Is he a major league ready bat or does he still need some seasoning? What are some reasonable projections of what he can do with everyday playing time in AZ?
4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#7 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

There is a difference between the two trades. KC gave up a top hitting prospect AND a top pitching prospect for 2 years of a meh pitcher. Arizona gave up a talented pithcing prospect with huge maturity issues for a solid reliever and 2 solid prospects. This trade is better than the KC one.
Bring back Ray!

#8 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

I don't think I've ever seen two top five prospects traded within the same week.
No Days Off

#9 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

There is a difference between the two trades. KC gave up a top hitting prospect AND a top pitching prospect for 2 years of a meh pitcher. Arizona gave up a talented pithcing prospect with huge maturity issues for a solid reliever and 2 solid prospects. This trade is better than the KC one.

Tony Sipp is a reliever with a huge HR rate, terrible fit in AZ. Lars Anderson isn't a prospect, he's been struggling in AAA the last few years.

Edited by mjk356, 11 December 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#10 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

What do people know about Didi? Is he a major league ready bat or does he still need some seasoning? What are some reasonable projections of what he can do with everyday playing time in AZ?

REALLY solid glove, arm, footwork.

MAYBE solid contact skills.

Very little power, or speed.

And.. he's 23 this year - so hard to see him suddenly becoming a mega-talent offensively.

I mean, half your games in ARI, you could pull a Yuniesky Betancourt, I suppose, or best-case, Yunel Escobar - but that's his ceiling IMO.

As you can tell, I hate this deal the more & more I read about this from the Snakes' perspective.

I'm almost afraid to think what Towers was considering for the J-Up trade rumors. :blink:

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

#11 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Tony Sipp is a reliever with a huge HR rate, terrible fit in AZ. Lars Andersen isn't a prospect, he's been struggling in AAA the last few years.

To further emphasize the point - the reason why TB got a great haul for their pitching is because in real-life, pitching is just way more valuable and scarce on the trade market. For ARI to get this mediocre array of talent for a pitcher with 6 more years of team control and borderine ace ceiling (and SP2 is still a huge ceiling in real-life, even if you don't see him as a future ace), is just terrible. Sorry, I can't really see it any other way. Unless the Snakes know something about Gregorius that we don't, this looks like an awful deal - not because Bauer is a sure thing, but that keeping him and letting him pitch half a season and dominate AAA or in the bigs was more likely to get a MUCH bigger return. Barring a report that his shoulder is hanging by a thread, this is literally the sell-low scenarios we advise all owners to avoid making with their players - only to have Towers pull the move in real-life.

I understand this was likely the best deal out there - but honestly, this was selling Bauer at his absolute lowest value. Sipp & Anderson don't look to be difference makers at all, and Gregorius looks to be a great glove guy with league-average ceiling, barring a huge spike in tools (which at 23, WAY less likely than at 20, for example). Again, much like in the KC deal - Bauer doesn't even have to be an ace to make this a bad deal - because the potential return had they waited (barring an injury that no one sees right now), I don't see it being any lower, and the potential for it to be WAY higher, is, well, staggering.

I repeat - I worry for what Towers might have been considering in the J-Up talks. :o

#12 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

REALLY solid glove, arm, footwork.

MAYBE solid contact skills.

Very little power, or speed.

And.. he's 23 this year - so hard to see him suddenly becoming a mega-talent offensively.

I mean, half your games in ARI, you could pull a Yuniesky Betancourt, I suppose, or best-case, Yunel Escobar - but that's his ceiling IMO.

As you can tell, I hate this deal the more & more I read about this from the Snakes' perspective.

I'm almost afraid to think what Towers was considering for the J-Up trade rumors. :blink:

Thanks RRF!

Edited by damana, 11 December 2012 - 09:59 PM.

4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#13 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

Tony Sipp is a reliever with a huge HR rate, terrible fit in AZ. Lars Andersen isn't a prospect, he's been struggling in AAA the last few years.

To further emphasize the point - the reason why TB got a great haul for their pitching is because in real-life, pitching is just way more valuable and scarce on the trade market. For ARI to get this mediocre array of talent, is just terrible. Sorry, I can't really see it any other way. Unless the Snakes know something about Gregorius that we don't, this looks like an awful deal - not because Bauer is a sure thing, but that keeping him and letting him pitch half a season and dominate AAA or in the bigs was more likely to get a MUCH bigger return.

I understand this was likely the best deal out there - but honestly, this was selling Bauer at his lowest. Sipp & Anderson don't look to be difference makers at all, and Gregorius looks to be a great glove guy with league-average ceiling, barring a huge spike in tools (which at 23, WAY less likely than at 20, for example).

I repeat - I worry for what Towers might have been considering in the J-Up talks. :o

I agree completely RRF. It's beyond awful. How anyone could defend this deal is beyond me.

#14 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 21,002 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

To further emphasize the point - the reason why TB got a great haul for their pitching is because in real-life, pitching is just way more valuable and scarce on the trade market. For ARI to get this mediocre array of talent, is just terrible. Sorry, I can't really see it any other way. Unless the Snakes know something about Gregorius that we don't, this looks like an awful deal - not because Bauer is a sure thing, but that keeping him and letting him pitch half a season and dominate AAA or in the bigs was more likely to get a MUCH bigger return.

I understand this was likely the best deal out there - but honestly, this was selling Bauer at his lowest. Sipp & Anderson don't look to be difference makers at all, and Gregorius looks to be a great glove guy with league-average ceiling, barring a huge spike in tools (which at 23, WAY less likely than at 20, for example).

I agree completely RRF. It's beyond awful. How anyone could defend this deal is beyond me.

Brutal deal, no matter what type of issues Bauer had, he was worth far more than what they got back. I mean honestly, is the upgrade from Pennington worth losing Bauer over? It sure doesnt seem like it and their bullpen was already in good shape so it seems like bullpen additions were a luxury, not a need at all.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#15 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Brutal deal, no matter what type of issues Bauer had, he was worth far more than what they got back. I mean honestly, is the upgrade from Pennington worth losing Bauer over? It sure doesnt seem like it and their bullpen was already in good shape so it seems like bullpen additions were a luxury, not a need at all.

Don't forget - Anderson is a 1B - and his power ceiling is limited, and he's still in the MILB at age 25, with a SLG. in the 400's (only in 2008 did he hit the .500+ mark, and the other years, it was uggggly).

Plus, they have Goldy at 1B - more power, higher ceiling, same age...

Again, to be clear - Bauer doesn't even need to be an ace or SP2 to make this a horrible deal. The return was so unspectacular, staggering is the word that keeps coming back to me.

I am convinced Walt Jocketty and Chris Antonetti cashed in their incriminating photos of Towers at last week's GM meetings. :blink:

#16 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Calling Shields a Meh pitcher is pretty silly.

#17 Big Tuna

Big Tuna

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

What I find interesting is that Cincy could have gotten Bauer directly but chose Choo.....think he will be awesome with the reds....but would have loved the pitcher

#18 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

What I find interesting is that Cincy could have gotten Bauer directly but chose Choo.....think he will be awesome with the reds....but would have loved the pitcher

With Stubbs gone, CIN looking to be a WS winner now & 2014 - Choo going to CF, and high-contact, OBP, 20/20 guy to replace the high K, low OBP Stubbs (leadoff was a huge weakness for that lineup) - also signed cheaply for 2 more years.

Exact contrast to KC argument - CIN is a clear contender, so they see their window as now - so they don't want to develop Bauer this year & next (because most SP's need 1-2 full years in bigs), but get better right now. And with Cozart and Billy Hamilton (who I think ends up in CF anyways, replacing Choo by 2014/2015 (Ludwick gone after 2014 too), they had zero need for Gregorius, and no need for a 1B/LHP RP. Again, not to derail the thread, but with a known contender, I see this move totally from CIN's perspective (and of course CLE's).

Still waiting for the incriminating-pics-on-Towers angle to gather steam. :lol:

#19 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Here's an article reviewing the trade from a Diamondbacks perspective:

http://hardballtalk....didi-gregorius/

Interesting read, still not sure what Arizona was thinking though.
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#20 BigPapi44

BigPapi44

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

Are the Reds planning on moving Billy Hamilton back to shortstop?