Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

* * * - - 1 votes

Leonys Martin 2013 OutlookIs is time yet?

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 K.Heart

K.Heart

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Leonys Martin showed surprising power in the minors last year smacking 12 HRs.  He has the speed to be a contributor in SBs.  The question is will he get the playing time? Will his minor league success translate to the majors?  I'd be interested to see what he could do with everyday at bats.

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostK.Heart, on 11 December 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

Leonys Martin showed surprising power in the minors last year smacking 12 HRs.  He has the speed to be a contributor in SBs.  The question is will he get the playing time? Will his minor league success translate to the majors?  I'd be interested to see what he could do with everyday at bats.
I considered this guy as my roster addition back in 2011 in early August as potential $1 keeper for 2012, glad I didnt do it as his roll has slowed, but as the pathway seems to clear a bit in Texas, he has to be on radar right, especially if it looks as if he has a pathway to pt.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 Young Blood(I get buckets)

Young Blood(I get buckets)
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

For a player that you will be mostly relying on for his speed. It's scary looking at his lack of success on the base paths.
Rate of SB/CS
2011(Double A/Triple A): 19/10
2012(Triple A/Majors): 12/9

#4 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,739 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostYoung Blood(I get buckets), on 17 December 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

For a player that you will be mostly relying on for his speed. It's scary looking at his lack of success on the base paths.
Rate of SB/CS

High CS numbers are common for a lot of young players, who later iron out the kinks in their base running form.  Look at guys like Starlin Castro, Alcides Escobar, Elvis Andrus (okay all those guys are SSes off the top of my head let me find some OFs).

Alex Rios minor league career SB% 62.7% compared to his 75.2% in the majors.
Denard Span 66.7% in the minors compared to 76.3% in the majors.
Ryan Braun 73.9% in the minors compared to 80.2% in the majors.

Stealing bases is an art that takes time to perfect.  Sure some guys break into the league with it already perfected Revere and Trout, but most players it takes time for them to get solid success rates stealing.

#5 Young Blood(I get buckets)

Young Blood(I get buckets)
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostFouLLine, on 17 December 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

Rate of SB/CS

High CS numbers are common for a lot of young players, who later iron out the kinks in their base running form.  Look at guys like Starlin Castro, Alcides Escobar, Elvis Andrus (okay all those guys are SSes off the top of my head let me find some OFs).

Stealing bases is an art that takes time to perfect.  Sure some guys break into the league with it already perfected Revere and Trout, but most players it takes time for them to get solid success rates stealing.

My comment was for the purpose of his 2013 season. We seen what a high CS rate can do to players(SB #'s) such as Austin Jackson and Dexter Fowler.

#6 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,739 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostYoung Blood(I get buckets), on 17 December 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

View PostFouLLine, on 17 December 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

Rate of SB/CS

My comment was for the purpose of his 2013 season. We seen what a high CS rate can do to players(SB #'s) such as Austin Jackson and Dexter Fowler.
Yeah he may not enter the season with the green light and if he doesn't capitalize on his early opportunities he may get less SB attempts.A potential sign of improvement is he was 3 for 3 in SB attempts in the majors last year.But between his minor and major league career he has played 160 games and stole 32 SBs while getting caught 20 times.So over a full season I would think he should be able to net 20 SBs with upside for somewhere in the 30s.

#7 smk1363

smk1363

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

With a solid spring so far, and news that Washington thinks he could be a full time guy, not just platoon, does anybody buy in on Martin this year?

If so, what could we see from him with 500+ AB's?
EBHD Dynasty $ League - 20 Teams
(R, HR, RBI, BB, SB, AVG)
(W, ERA, WHIP, K, HLD, SV)

C. Joe Mauer  1B. Billy Butler  2B. Dustin Pedroia  3B. David Wright  
SS. Troy Tulowitzki  LF. Matt Holliday  CF. Shane VIctorino  RF. Giancarlo Stanton  UT. David Ortiz
BN.  Domonic Brown, Dexter Fowler

SP. Adam Wainwright, Zack Greinke, CC Sabathia, James Shields, Josh Johnson, Chris Sale, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, Francisco Liriano, Bud Norris
RP. Koji Uehara, Bobby Parnell

MiLB Roster:
IF. Rafael Devers, Mitch Nay, Stetson Allie, Rio Ruiz, Franchy Cordero
OF. Manuel Margot, Harold Ramirez, Victor Roache, Tyrone Taylor, BJ Boyd, Matt Szczur, Darin Ruf, Gustavo Cabrera
P. Sean Manaea, Cody Martin, Rubby de la Rosa, Michael Fulmer, Carter Capps

#8 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

I like him this year and am targeting him as the first OF on my bench with the potential to start for me when he gets going...I think Gentry will play some but Martin has the higher potential IMO
16 Team 10 Player Keeper  (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters:  Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Hill, Grandal, Josh hamilton, Morneau

Pitchers:  Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Lincecum, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#9 k.k.

k.k.

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostChubbles, on 07 March 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

I like him this year and am targeting him as the first OF on my bench with the potential to start for me when he gets going...I think Gentry will play some but Martin has the higher potential IMO

That's my take as well, and my plan for Martin on one of my teams this year. The way his spring has gone, I think he's going to get decent playing time quickly.

#10 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,017 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

View Postk.k., on 22 March 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

That's my take as well, and my plan for Martin on one of my teams this year. The way his spring has gone, I think he's going to get decent playing time quickly.

He's in a platoon in CF with Gentry but he's on the right side of the platoon.  Just ensure that you understand that even though he may play 60% of the time, some starts he'll be lifted if there is a lefty called in.  Offensively, he certainly holds a higher ceiling than Gentry and both players have had nice springs.  An injury, suspension or if he absolutely kills it and Gentry sucks may get him a more full-time gig, but realize the opposite is true as well.....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#11 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 22 March 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

He's in a platoon in CF with Gentry but he's on the right side of the platoon.  Just ensure that you understand that even though he may play 60% of the time, some starts he'll be lifted if there is a lefty called in.  Offensively, he certainly holds a higher ceiling than Gentry and both players have had nice springs.  An injury, suspension or if he absolutely kills it and Gentry sucks may get him a more full-time gig, but realize the opposite is true as well.....

Good thoughts here - and I agree he'll start out in a platoon with Gentry.  Should be pointed out though that Murphy's spent his career as a platoon OF as well, and may end up getting platooned instead of Martin (If Martin comes out hitting and Murphy struggles against LHP).

Should also be mentioned that Gentry's been on the trading block...

#12 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,017 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostJFS171, on 23 March 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

Good thoughts here - and I agree he'll start out in a platoon with Gentry.  Should be pointed out though that Murphy's spent his career as a platoon OF as well, and may end up getting platooned instead of Martin (If Martin comes out hitting and Murphy struggles against LHP).

Hard to see Martin gaining a ton more ABs than Murphy considering 1. they're both lefties and 2. Wash's fascination with older, gritty veterans.  If he wasn't going to sit Young last year, then he'll give the vets a ton of rope.  Martin would need to kill it with both Gentry and Murph struggling.....

We'll see.  As I said, both players have had nice ST's so no real news to report on at this time.....If Cruz gets popped for roids then there could be some time, but they also could move Moreland out to RF, call up Olt and have Berks and Olt share 1b.  I don't really understand what Daniels is trying to do this year (not sure he does either) so there are tons of questions and possibilities everywhere....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#13 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 23 March 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

View PostJFS171, on 23 March 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

Hard to see Martin gaining a ton more ABs than Murphy considering 1. they're both lefties and 2. Wash's fascination with older, gritty veterans.  If he wasn't going to sit Young last year, then he'll give the vets a ton of rope.  Martin would need to kill it with both Gentry and Murph struggling.....

We'll see.  As I said, both players have had nice ST's so no real news to report on at this time.....If Cruz gets popped for roids then there could be some time, but they also could move Moreland out to RF, call up Olt and have Berks and Olt share 1b.  I don't really understand what Daniels is trying to do this year (not sure he does either) so there are tons of questions and possibilities everywhere....

Ill echo these thoughts.  0% chance Murphy gets platooned over Martin, atleast for the first few months of the season.  There should be no false hope when you draft Martin.  You are getting a platoon player, you just have to hope he can break that rather quickly by playing well and earning everyday at bats, while Gentry struggles in his turns against LHP.

Edited by Cmilne23, 23 March 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#14 scoh123

scoh123

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

"Rangers manager Ron Washington said that Leonys Martin and Craig Gentry will see a fair amount of playing time this season. Washington would not commit to specific roles, saying “both guys will play, but I am not announcing a platoon.” He added that he will find a way to get both players into the lineup."

Ok, so does this mean that they'll both probably see 400+ at bats this year as long as they are producing?
AL keeper 12 team 5x5 w/OBP cap

C-Mauer $22
C Gomes $3
1B Encarnacion $25
2B-Cano $24
SS-A.Escobar $10
3B- Longoria $33
MI- Villar $3
CI- Moss $20
Of-Markakis $21, Mastrioanni $1, Jones $28, Gardner $20, R.Davis $11
DH-Rasmus $6
Pitchers: Kuroda $21, Sanchez $17, Pettitte $13, Norris $6, Duffy $2, Kazmir $1, Frieri $21, Benoit $5, Jannsen $11

#15 capattack

capattack

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

I think at some point Martin has the job for keeps. I like Gentry, he's a decent player but he doesn't have the upside that Martin has.
12 team keeper. 10x10 scoring.

C- Rosario
1b- Goldschmidt
2b- Hill
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
OF- McCutchen
OF-CarGo
OF- A. Jones
UTL- N. Cruz
UTL- Zobrist
BN- Abreu, Profar, Miller, Moose, Eaton, Craword, Revere, Headley, Wieters

Minors- Taveras

SP- King, Scherzer, Hamels, Lynn, Lincecum, Gray, Gallardo, Ventura
RP- None

Minors-Bradley

#16 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Potentially 5-cat player now given the green light to run whenever he wants. He runs the risk of playing like last year and being sent to the minors, but has big time upside as well. For leagues that don't give negative points to caught stealing, this guy could be a late round steal.

#17 cowbell204

cowbell204

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Having drafted Borbon year after year thinking he could do something (anything), I'll be happy if he gives me the numbers I expected Julio to produce every year.

#18 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,464 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

If he's got the green light, could be a huge 10-15 HR/30+ SB guy.  BUT, the big if is if he keeps the green light - his CS% is really unacceptable.   I have zero idea if he worked on this or not in the offseason - he'd have to be at least 75% successful to keep a green light.

As someone who took a complete flier on him in a 5-OF league, I'm hoping it works out - but this is all predicated on getting the AB's, and keeping the green light.   The upside is huge on a TEX team that will need to be more aggressive this year, and the nice part is it's pretty much late-round or endgame risk - which means be hopeful, but realize unless he got a LOT of coaching on his running game, well, I hope he's even faster than advertised.
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#19 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,514 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostRotoRaysfan, on 31 March 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

If he's got the green light, could be a huge 10-15 HR/30+ SB guy.  BUT, the big if is if he keeps the green light - his CS% is really unacceptable.   I have zero idea if he worked on this or not in the offseason - he'd have to be at least 75% successful to keep a green light.

As someone who took a complete flier on him in a 5-OF league, I'm hoping it works out - but this is all predicated on getting the AB's, and keeping the green light.   The upside is huge on a TEX team that will need to be more aggressive this year, and the nice part is it's pretty much late-round or endgame risk - which means be hopeful, but realize unless he got a LOT of coaching on his running game, well, I hope he's even faster than advertised.

This is like Borbon II. Grandiose announcements made about "green light" etc and then a couple CS's later nothing.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#20 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Who writes the rotoworld updates?

Craig Gentry will start in center field Tuesday against the Astros.
Leonys Martin started in center field against the right-hander Bud Norris on Sunday, but Gentry will get the call Tuesday with southpaw Lucas Harrell on the mound for Houston. It looks like Rangers manager Ron Washington will go with a strict platoon for now, but Martin should still get enough at-bats to have value in deeper mixed leagues.

Harrell is a RHP......

Martin is not even drawing starts against all RHP?  This situation is going to be an absolute mess........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users