Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Jerry Sands 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 theosox

theosox

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Could Jerry Sands be the answer for the Red Sox? Power, some speed and a good arm. Can play 1B And LF. He could be the unexpected bonus from the Mega Trade with the Dodgers. Yes he does have a high strikeout rate but he does have potential. Most importantly he comes cheap and cost controlled.

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Now that Victorino is there, pathway to OF PT is somewhat limited...but he could be in that mix at 1B if they dont do anything further.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,732 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Sands could be a really nice sleeper this year.  Boston went out on a limb making the trade that was essentially centered around Sands (even though he was the PTBNL).

When a team puts that kind of faith in a player it can take their offseason workouts into over drive.

#4 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Always seems like he is destined to be a 4th outfielder. Would be nice to see him put together a good year against righties and lefties and display that power. Like someone else said he will probably be between 1b and OF.

#5 Homerj24

Homerj24

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

He has some good plate discipline, but a lot of his MiLB numbers are PCL driven. He's a nice late round flyer though.

#6 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

View PostFouLLine, on 17 December 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

Sands could be a really nice sleeper this year.  Boston went out on a limb making the trade that was essentially centered around Sands (even though he was the PTBNL).

When a team puts that kind of faith in a player it can take their offseason workouts into over drive.

What? They didn't go out on a limb for him. It was a clear salary dump. The Dodgers were stupid enough to throw in a few prospects who could actually play ball. The again, they just signed a 4 billion dollar tv deal, so I highly doubt the owners care.

As for Sands, if Napoli eventually gets signed, there won't be a ton of at bats for him, but he could pose as a multi-position (outfield and first) utility player. He does have intriguing power and I hope he has a solid spring and makes the team out of camp because I would like to see him as a bench bat.

#7 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,732 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostRed Sox Nation, on 19 December 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

View PostFouLLine, on 17 December 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

What? They didn't go out on a limb for him. It was a clear salary dump. The Dodgers were stupid enough to throw in a few prospects who could actually play ball. The again, they just signed a 4 billion dollar tv deal, so I highly doubt the owners care.

As for Sands, if Napoli eventually gets signed, there won't be a ton of at bats for him, but he could pose as a multi-position (outfield and first) utility player. He does have intriguing power and I hope he has a solid spring and makes the team out of camp because I would like to see him as a bench bat.

A salary dump indeed.  But that wasn't the going out on the limb part.  The going out on a limb was the fact that Boston was willing to (this early into those contracts) man up and say oh no we made a mistake.  Not only basically admit that but go all out on a crazed team makeover to try and rebuild.

That is your definition of going out on a limb.  They easily could have said damn these guys are just having bad years and will bounce back, the head coach shuffle hasn't helped, they are just adjusting to the new environment or whatever they wanted to say about the situation to justify it.  Which honestly all of those are decent answers to explain why their big signees of recent years were struggling.

Boston could have easily sat back and hoped for the best and no one would have blamed them.  But no they didn't they got super active and pulled in a bunch of not top prospects.  But high upside and MLB ready prospects.

So here's why this was risky for Boston.  If (and probably when) Beckett, AGon, and Crawford, all turn it around they could look like fools and get huge ridicule from a very passionate and tough baseball fanbase.  If they sit back and ride out the contracts it's just damn another bad contract. Every team has them some more than others, other contracts worse than others.  But bad contracts are a part of baseball, things you have to deal with.  It's not the end of the world if you pay a player elite money and they only produce at a semi elite performance.  Was Adrian Gonzalez that bad last year?... Not at all.

So needless to say Boston wasn't just going to trade them away for nothing.  Yeah Boston was trading away bad contracts hence them not hauling top prospects in return.  But Jerry Sands was the center piece.  He was the first name mentioned in the rumors yet he ended up being the PTBNL which to me says that LA was going to try anything to see if they could hold onto Sands.  But who knows with everything that goes on behind the scenes of a trade.

#8 TrueShoe

TrueShoe

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Sands could be a nice sleeper.  He's got potential.  A lot of PCL talk.  There's plenty of guys who have produced out of the PCL.  Braun, Kemp, etc... If you hit you hit.  It's one thing if he was 28 killing PCL pitching.  But the guy is 25 this year.
Gearing up for baseball.