247 replies to this topic

#1 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,870 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Well, Detroit probably held claim to best lineup in the AL (or Majors for that matter) before today. Now that LAA has signed Hamilton its like a fantasy team lineup:

CF Trout 3B Callaspo 1B Pujols RF Hamilton LF Trumbo 2B Kendrick DH Morales C Iannetta SS Aybar

power, average, balance all throughout lineup.

The win now window is clearly open for LAA and they are making their strong push to take advantage. As has been pointed out, about a 3 year span before Pujols/Hamilton likely become albatross contracts for the team.

Anaheim insists from what sources report on Twitter that Trumbo is not being traded which opens up a package deal for pitching likely centered on Bourjos as the likely option. One would assume the addition of pitching by trade is a when, not an if and when that occurs look out!
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#2 foeplay

foeplay

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

RA Dickey?

#3 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

I don't agree with Hamilton as a first rounder even in Texas, but he was arguably one. Pretty crazy to have THREE first round fantasy players on a real life team. The Dodgers should have 4 in the first 2 rounds.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#4 Mcova23

Mcova23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Question is Who is batting Third?

Edited by Mcova23, 13 December 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#5 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

wrote this in the Hamilton thread but no one where Callaspo 2nd is coming from. Aybar makes a lot more sense to me.

it will never ever ever happen but Iannetta probably projects to have the best OBP of the rest and would make more sense hitting in front of Ham/Pujols.

but wow everyone aside from the big 3 really have a low OBP. they need some guys getting on base to turn the lineup over. even their 2nd tier guys, Morales and Trumbo, can't take a walk.

Edited by jsp2014, 13 December 2012 - 03:32 PM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#6 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,433 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

but wow everyone aside from the big 3 really have a low OBP. they need some guys getting on base to turn the lineup over. even their 2nd tier guys, Morales and Trumbo, can't take a walk.

Same problem for them last year. They have a bunch of hackers (Howie, Aybar, Trumbo, etc) out there but you have to figure too much power in the lineup for them not to put up some serious runs....

Torii wasn't happy.....Ha, ha, ha....Should have told him he's too old.

RT @toriihunter48: I was told money was tight but I guess Arte had money hidden under a Mattress. Business is business but don't lie.

"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#7 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,870 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Same problem for them last year. They have a bunch of hackers (Howie, Aybar, Trumbo, etc) out there but you have to figure too much power in the lineup for them not to put up some serious runs....

Torii wasn't happy.....Ha, ha, ha....Should have told him he's too old.

RT @toriihunter48: I was told money was tight but I guess Arte had money hidden under a Mattress. Business is business but don't lie.

Torii got a great deal considering the market wasnt hot for him, Detroit as usual outbid themselves. Money is usually tight for 37yr old OF's who are coming of a career BABIP driven year. Shouldnt be mad, its just reality.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#8 valensi24

valensi24

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hamilton is the perfect left handed power hitter the angels sorely needed. Now they can roll with:

Trout ®
Aybar (S)
Pujols ®
Hamilton (L)
Trumbo ®
Morales (S)
Kendrick ®
Callaspo (S)
Ianetta ®

You can't get more balanced then that. Along with a solid $21 Million pinch hitter in Vernon Wells. I'm hoping Bourjos gets traded for a good Starting Pitcher in return. Weaver/Wilson/Hanson is great. but i'm not too confident in Blanton/Richards/Williams being the #4 and #5 starters. I'm ecstatic about the revamped bullpen though. Downs/Frieri/Burnett/Jepsen with Madson closing. No more giving up 3-4 run leads in the 7th/8th/9th innings every game.
  • foeplay likes this

#9 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Big FU to Tori and Texas.

Feel bad for bourjos he's for sure getting traded unless they want a stud pinch runner.

Edited by Theoneupper, 13 December 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#10 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,619 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Feel bad for bourjos he's for sure getting traded unless they want a stud pinch runner.

Really, though, I don't think anyone would fault the Halos for taking Hamilton at the same price as Torii & Haren (given Haren's back issues). As much as Torii is upset because the FO told him "money's tight" (that's the circulating story), no one would fault a GM for taking the route with Hamilton.

The real risk is of course the 5 years, but that's for later - clearly the win-at-all-costs mentality is being pushed through, and really, their window is right now, so it's hard to argue against (realizing age/injuries could bite them hard in 2015+).

FBB-wise, the interesting question (besides the justified concern about health) will be how much ANA's home park suppresses Hamilton's power - I don't know about 2012, but the prior 3 years, it was even tougher than PETCO or Safeco in suppressing LH power (the hardest park for LH HR's). Hamilton's power is of course through the roof, so I don't see a huge downgrade in HR's - but instead of 40+, he might be a 30-35 HR guy. But, the lineup should give him tons of R/RBI opps.

I suspect they'll hang on to Bourjos until midseason if no great offers come along, then look to deal him for a SP that becomes available to upgrade them (because the price for pitching right now is astronomical...unless you're Trevor Bauer).
Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, Gerhart, C-Michael, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#11 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Acccording to rotoworld, looks like Trumbo will stay with the Angels:

"According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Angels are telling teams that Mark Trumbo is not available."

"The Angels signed outfielder Josh Hamilton to a five-year, $125 million free agent contract on Thursday afternoon and would seem to have too many everyday-caliber players on their 25-man roster. But Trumbo has exceptional raw power and Anaheim doesn't want to give that up. Peter Bourjos could be traded away instead."

Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#12 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Really, though, I don't think anyone would fault the Halos for taking Hamilton at the same price as Torii & Haren (given Haren's back issues). As much as Torii is upset because the FO told him "money's tight" (that's the circulating story), no one would fault a GM for taking the route with Hamilton.

The real risk is of course the 5 years, but that's for later - clearly the win-at-all-costs mentality is being pushed through, and really, their window is right now, so it's hard to argue against (realizing age/injuries could bite them hard in 2015+).

FBB-wise, the interesting question (besides the justified concern about health) will be how much ANA's home park suppresses Hamilton's power - I don't know about 2012, but the prior 3 years, it was even tougher than PETCO or Safeco in suppressing LH power (the hardest park for LH HR's). Hamilton's power is of course through the roof, so I don't see a huge downgrade in HR's - but instead of 40+, he might be a 30-35 HR guy. But, the lineup should give him tons of R/RBI opps.

I suspect they'll hang on to Bourjos until midseason if no great offers come along, then look to deal him for a SP that becomes available to upgrade them (because the price for pitching right now is astronomical...unless you're Trevor Bauer).

I sure wouldn't fault them. I like this contract better than the Pujols one though(10 year 240 Mill). Just the way it was done, since the Angels came out of nowhere again seems weird to me. I would still take Hamilton any day of the week and that lineup is stacked.

#13 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

I hope the reports are true that the Halos are looking to move Morales and Wells rather than Trumbo/Bourjos. Wells won't get them anything in return but Morales + a prospect or 2 might be able to net them a mid rotation starter who is due to hit FA

Morales is a FA after the season, whereas Trumbo and Bourjos are cheap and under team control for a few more years. Makes more sense long term to move Morales and shift Trumbo to DH and plug Bourjos in as the everyday CF. I hope this is what ends up happening, but obviously they need another SP and as far as value goes, Trumbo and Bourjos>Morales, so they may need to move one of those 2 in the end. Hoping it's not the case though
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B, 3B)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Corey Dickerson (Col - LF, CF)
RF - George Springer (Hou - CF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF), Jake Lamb (ARI - 3B), Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B, LF)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Joe Smith, Shae Simmons
Farm System:  Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#14 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

With a little luck you guys might finish 2nd this year.

:ph34r:
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#15 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

The Orioles stole all of the luck, unfortunately
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B, 3B)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Corey Dickerson (Col - LF, CF)
RF - George Springer (Hou - CF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF), Jake Lamb (ARI - 3B), Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B, LF)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Joe Smith, Shae Simmons
Farm System:  Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#16 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Coming from an Angel fan, for all the hoopla about how an improved offense is what will likely get the Angels over the hump they had last season, I just don't get it.

Offense wasn't their issue last year. Sure, Pujols sucked, Trumbo hit a massive wall after the ASB, and the back end of the lineup is terrible OBP-wise. Regardless, they were still 1st in team AVG, 4th in overall runs, and 5th in OBP.

Pitching was where their weakness stood. They were in the bottom half of team ERA, and the bullpen imploded more times than I could count. This year, they did an excellent job shoring up their bullpen with Madson and Burnett, but now their starting rotation leaves much to be desired. Weaver is a bona fide stud, and while I'm not a big fan of his signing last offseason, Wilson is a pretty solid 2nd starter. After that, it's a wreck. If Hanson returns to form, he'd be a solid 3rd starter, but that's a big if. Blanton is nothing more than an innings eater, The 5th spot isn't even a lock yet. Do you rush Richards into the role? Stick with Jerome Williams?

I definitely hope that the rumors swirling around Wells/Morales results in a solid starting pitcher in return.

#17 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,619 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

Coming from an Angel fan, for all the hoopla about how an improved offense is what will likely get the Angels over the hump they had last season, I just don't get it.

Offense wasn't their issue last year. Sure, Pujols sucked, Trumbo hit a massive wall after the ASB, and the back end of the lineup is terrible OBP-wise. Regardless, they were still 1st in team AVG, 4th in overall runs, and 5th in OBP.

Pitching was where their weakness stood. They were in the bottom half of team ERA, and the bullpen imploded more times than I could count. This year, they did an excellent job shoring up their bullpen with Madson and Burnett, but now their starting rotation leaves much to be desired. Weaver is a bona fide stud, and while I'm not a big fan of his signing last offseason, Wilson is a pretty solid 2nd starter. After that, it's a wreck. If Hanson returns to form, he'd be a solid 3rd starter, but that's a big if. Blanton is nothing more than an innings eater, The 5th spot isn't even a lock yet. Do you rush Richards into the role? Stick with Jerome Williams?

I definitely hope that the rumors swirling around Wells/Morales results in a solid starting pitcher in return.

Right now, the price for SP (if you're not Kevin Towers or in dump mode with MIA) is insanely high. So, the Angels decided to upgrade their O - and bide their time until the price comes down. More importantly, this was as much about hurting an intra-division opponent, too. Because Hamilton was the last big bat on the FA market, his appeal to the Halos probably shot up 300 percent (less so if say, J-Up was traded to the Rangers, or was still in play). Not only does ANA take the late 2000's NYY approach of the Murderer's Row (and try & upgrade pitching later), but it hurts the Rangers in a big way, and forces TEX's hand in the remaining FA market (or trade market).

You're right in that they still could use one more big arm, but once Greinke signed with LAD, I agree that if you're going to spend $, pitching wasn't where the value is at (looking at the Shields/Dickey proposed trade, the price is sky high in the trade market, too).

I wouldn't get my hopes up of getting anything more than rotation depth with V-dub given his contract, or Morales given he's in his last year and plays 1B/DH (the easiest position to fill for most teams), but Bourjos would likely get them an interesting piece. However, given the market is totally weighed towards the sellers for SP's (ARI's trade being the notable exception), ANA also has no hurry for now - over a 162-game season, their O should carry them - it's for the 2H & playoff run that an upgrade is needed (but the market should offer a lot more choices as the season starts as always).
Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, Gerhart, C-Michael, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#18 RNiner

RNiner

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

With guys like Laroche and Swisher (who can play 1B) still on the market, or even a gamble in Berkman, there's really no reason to trade the Angels anything for Morales. And lol at Wells getting them anything of value in return. (They really should just cut him imo, like they did Abreu last year)

Angels SP really isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Their best bet is to see what they have in Hanson/Richards/Williams this year before panicking too much. They could need anywhere from 3 SP's to 0 depending on how those 3 come out of the gate. Blanton was a head scratcher, but he'll eat innings as the #5 I guess.
There's just always SP guys on the FA market come June/July. Heck, they could probably grab Shields themselves around then if KC isn't what KC is hoping they'll be. And you know they'd be willing to add a high-salaried SP who maybe isn't worth his contract, but who is being moved in a rebuild... (Philly anyone?)

I actually would've preferred to see them hang on to their Blanton money and wait for a good trade opportunity in the summer...

Edited by RNiner, 18 December 2012 - 01:45 AM.

20 Team Roto Keeper League, 5x5 (OBP replaces AVG)
9 Keepers*

C Mauer*
1B Goldschmidt*
2B Utley*
3B
SS
OF Trout*, Cargo*, Billy Hamilton*
Util
Bench

SP
RP Kimbrel*, Jansen*, Robertson*
Prospects - Dylan Bundy, Carlos Martinez

#19 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

agree with the above. if they try to force a trade they're not going to get max value now.

if they can even get a team to take on 5 mill for the rest of Wells' contract that would be great for them. if not, then I think they're better off just holding him if he doesn't get disgruntled about being a 5th OF. he's bad but I think the perception is that he's even worse than he is in reality, given his contract.

Bourjos can be really useful to them. he can enable them to let Hamilton rest when need be, spell Trumbo when he's slumping, play the OF and have one of their starters rest at DH (specifically vs. LHP), and he's insurance in case of either injury or if Trumbo's 2nd half 2012 continues into 2013. it is rare to have a player back up 4 positions but Bourjos is doing just that.

the other advantage is this will help recover his trade value in case they decide they really need a SP.

the bottom line is there are 2 ways to improve: score more runs, or allow fewer runs. getting Hamilton helped them score more runs. I don't see this urgency to balance out their team by overpaying for a SP (like RRF said, the going rate for SP is sky high).

Edited by jsp2014, 18 December 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#20 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

lol at the Marlins pushing for Trumbo for Nolasco.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users