Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Rotoworld Community 2013 Mock Draft IYahoo 5x5 format, kicks off Jan. 7th!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
910 replies to this topic

#1 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

List of Current Participants:

1.  brockpapersizer
2.  jsp2014
3. Nick Mitchell
4. jb_power
5. dumherb1
6. Code of Hammurabi
7. phizzics
8. Dirk's Digglers
9. parrothead
10. phoenixbases
11. Young Blood (I get buckets)
12. Chubbles

Bold denotes the user has read and understood the rules, and has committed to the draft. For those that haven't read the rules and confirmed, please do so by January 7th.

Wait-list

1. moneyzonsteroids
2. dzemens
3. mjb03003
4. Izanagi
5. cowbell204
6. supac720
7. squidthunder
8. Zumayaaa
9. Dodger Blue 88
10. Slatykamora
11. dsw83
12. Thespis721

1. qmar
2. mavsfan23
3. nbafan_123
4. Jmadtown

________________________________________________________________________________________

Now that most free agents have signed... it's time!

-Looking for people who are available to check multiple times between the workday Monday through Friday (minus holidays).

-The clock will begin 8 AM Est and end at 6 PM Est. Mon-Fri.  I forget the usual time we give people to draft during on clock hours, but for now let's say 3 hours.  If you won't be around, you should send a list of a couple picks to someone in the draft so they can pick for you.

- First draft will be a standard 5x5 H2H

-There will be a separate thread for picks and discussion. You should be required to discuss picks of your own and others when you can.

-All picks should be made in a uniform way that will be shown (for those that don't know) that will include your whole roster and empty spots left.

I guess first 11 to sign up and then confirm they can abide by these and any other rules.

Rules...From Past Community Mock Drafts....

View PostRotoRaysfan, on 22 February 2011 - 10:08 PM, said:

1.  One Mock Draft at a time, from January to a week before Opening Day.  The Main Forum is not the Forum for league creation, but as a vehicle to help general discussion.

2.   Members who wish to participate in this Mock Draft will first confirm in descending order if the members who gave their names that they can actually be around or reachable on a regular basis for 7-10 days minimum. Once 12 are confirmed, any still left can be wait-listed for dropouts. If you can't do it, let others do it who can.

3.   Two threads will exist for each Mock Draft - a sign-up / discussion thread and a Picks-only thread.  All posters are welcome to comment and constructively critique draft picks - but the 12 Draft members make the picks (or their designate / queue picks), barring delays described below. If you want to comment - do so in the Mock Draft thread - and NOT the Mock Draft Pick Thread.  That thread will be for picks ONLY.

4.   An agreed upon mechanism when delays during peak posting hours should be in place - leaving a pick queue or substitute picker in advance of known absences will go a long way to minimize long delays - but if excessive delays without ETA occur, it's fair for the draft to go with a plan B - which is to allow the league to draft based on need/consensus if an absence of > 3 hours (or by a time designated by the group) prior to the Draft's start. The clock will NOT be applied for overnight / early AM (unless you are all East Coast posters, in which the hours can be modified by unanimous agreement).  If 2 or more absences of 3+ hours without pick lists / designated substitute occurs where there is no notice or advance warning given, an owner may be replaced from the wait-list.  For Greater Clarity - the 3-hour time limit is meant for occasional absences.  It is NOT meant as the rule of law.  If owners cannot meet the ability to draft 3-4x in a draft day regularly, they should NOT register - and may be replaced if they cannot meet this commitment first & foremost.  As context matters (weekends, later rounds, etc.) - the group will discuss & determine the best way to proceed in repeated absences are occurring.

5.  The PM/listing draft picks taken done regularly here really works to keep everyone up to date & promote discussion, so Mock Draft participants also agree to help out with this.  To be clear, this means posting if you want to leave a list with someone because you will be away, and if you are about to pick soon.  Ask if you don't know who to leave a list with.  It also means once you have picked, send a PM to the next owner to let then know they are OTC (on the clock!)

6.  All members can post & discuss picks made in the Draft signup & discussion thread - but we leave the picks to the 12 (or their designates/plan B if they are absent), and the picks in the Picks-only thread.

7.  Format's for the general community, so 5x5 still rules the day.   Formats are chosen to be generalizable to the community at large - so 5x5 standard settings will be used.  FOR GREATER CLARITY:  Given the popularity of Yahoo & ESPN, these are the formats used for the first 2 drafts.  If we get past 2 Mock Drafts, the exact details will be determined prior to each draft, with the 5x5 format remaining to serve the community at large, in keeping with the generalizable theme.

8.  Any poster who is not on the list above can submit their name to be wait-listed - we may get drop-outs, and of course, other Mock Drafts remain a possibility - but again, the present Mock completes first, as the Mock is for the general community as a whole, and not simply as a means for practice for the 12 members (otherwise, it would be in another Forum).

A reminder on some of the practices that help keep the draft running smoothly:

1.  Make sure to click "Follow this Topic" for the Picks-Only thread - and ensure you get e-mail notifications for topics that you follow.  The "Follow This Topic" link is on the upper-right hand side of the 1st post of each page. Your notification settings are in "Your Profile" - look under "Notifications".

2.  Copy/pasting the draft order with recent picks and updating your pick is FAR BETTER than posting your team in the Picks-Only thread.   Posting your team roster is helpful in the discussion thread - but in the Picks Only thread, it's far more effective to have a draft board updated by round, not by team.   If you are on a mobile and can't post the whole list - let others know why it's only 1 player.   Whenever you can, post the draft board - because it helps keep everyone's list up-to-date.  Also, when you have posted your pick - make sure to PM the owner behind you - a simple "Mock Draft OTC Round X" in title is all that's needed.

3.   If you are going to be OTC soon (1-2 picks away) but you know you will be away, leave a pick queue or target list with another drafting member who can't snipe you.   If you don't know who to leave this list with - post on the Discussion thread your need to leave a list.   This a practice that members in ALL online "slow" drafts do to keep drafts going. It's also the way to get 3-4 rounds in a day done - by not delaying a draft simply because you are OTC, know your target list, but aren't around the Forums when your turn comes up.

4.   Remember, it is just a mock draft - but there are 11 other members who agreed to the above - and they expect the 12 will do their best to get the draft done in the 7-10 day timeframe.   It's simply what is fair to the other 11 members - and since you are agreeing to the principles above, you've agreed to respect the timeframes.  These timeframes were put in place not to optimize draft results - but to respect the other's time spent for this draft.   So, again - if you can't meet the requirements - let someone else do it, and enjoy watching it from the sidelines.

One final note - the above is meant to ensure the Mock Drafts run as smoothly as possible, and also to benefit the community at large.  The most successful drafts have used these principles, but more importantly, when community as a whole (the 12 members drafting) have taken the Draft and run with it.   In other words - the Draft rules are what help standardize the drafts for the Community at large - but only the Community Draft members can make the Draft succeed.   As such, if the 12 members can agree to modifications on timeframes, weekends, etc. - in the end, the group has to make the draft work, so it's more important the group figure this out, and then commit to running it together (the only unchangeables are the 5x5 format (generalizable) and 1 draft at a time (the Forum's not a draft room).  

To be clear - the above principles are meant to help the draft group get organized, get started, and to move the draft along, and to resolve any outstanding issues - but other than the basics being preserved (1 draft at a time, 12 teams, 5x5 format, separate threads for picks & discussion) - the GROUP works out the issues, using the framework above to help them make these calls!  In other words - for each group - get together, get agreement, and get going! Best of luck!

I think it's fair to let people sign up for a New Year's ETA - Monday, January 7th.   Again, anyone who signs up - realize 3 things:

1.  These drafts rarely go shorter than 7-10 days.   You are committing to checking in, or leaving a list/queue.
2.  First draft is 5x5 H2H, because it's for the community at large, so most generic settings.   It's not going to be specific settings for some members - because the function of Main Forum threads are for the benefit of the community at large.
3.  If you cannot pick, leave a queue, or have a substitute.  Prolonged absence will lead to replacements (thus the waiting list) - but in reality, those drafts work less well, since it's not one owner going from start to finish in that spot.

Hope that helps,
-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

Football 2012: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: CHAMPION!!!!!
Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#2 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Whoa. It's early, but I'd definitely like to take part in this when it gets going.

#3 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

I'm in but obviously a busy time of year so might be slow at times.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#4 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,999 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Id be interested to sign on, I work M-F 8-430, so shouldnt be an issue to be available, unless work all of a sudden blocks the Forums. In which case I will be in an utter panic.
"Everyone's gotta price.  Everyone's gonna pay!"

#5 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

View Postjsp2014, on 13 December 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

I'm in but obviously a busy time of year so might be slow at times.

Agreed...can we wait until after the holidays, or are we really trying to do this in mid-December?

#6 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 19,999 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

After the holidays would be nice. Not like we are hurting for time...
"Everyone's gotta price.  Everyone's gonna pay!"

#7 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm pretty bored and there's no holidays all of next week. Could do the first round or 2 with a longer clock and then have no clock the following week and until Jan 2.

Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#8 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

I think you guys would be better off waiting for a while. While most free agents have signed, a couple of key things are still missing:

- Rankings: I realize that these are nowhere close to gospel, but it does give the community an idea on how to proceed.

- Forum activity: we're still in the heart of the NFL season, which is one of the reasons this forum isn't currently as active. As we get closer and closer to Spring Training, you'll start seeing more and more members, old and new. This directly relates to the level of commitment to this draft -- while there are obviously a few die-hards that wouldn't mind starting now (and I can't blame you), finding 12 people to work together cohesively during the holiday season, with many conflicting interests in the mix, might prove to be a formidable hurdle.

Of course, you are free to start this up if you think it'll prove to be more than an exercise in futility, but it would be wise to give it at least another few weeks to ensure the success of the first mock draft.

#9 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,141 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Since the drafts have never gone less than 2 weeks, good idea to start talking - but New Year is a more realistic ETA.  Momentum is key to doing the online community mocks - and it's safe to say the Holidays are more like to cause delays...and let's face it, the delays have been rather sore points in past drafts.
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#10 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Alright I'll just slowly keep moving this along. It starts when it starts. In no hurry, but if we got 12 people I'd be down to slowly move it along.  I think if we all acknowledge that there will be delays during the holidays it's not going to be a big deal.

I agree with a lot of what the Harsh/RRF said, but I personally like looking at early mocks because they are more challenging and I prefer people drafting from their head rather than relying on the copious amount of material that gets published closer to the draft.

Also down to talk and iron out all settings/rules.

1) BrockPaperSizer
2) MJB03003
3) dzmens

#11 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,692 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'll be interested, but like most people have stated, its still too early right now..

#12 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,141 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

For the record...

1.  brocksizedpaper
2.  mjb03003
3.  jsp2014
4.  dzemens
5. monkeyzonsteroids

All 5 need to confirm they can do a Jan. 7 start date for 7-10 days minimum (we'll pick that as holidays are done with school for most).
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

#13 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

View PostRotoRaysfan, on 13 December 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

For the record...

1.  brocksizedpaper
2.  mjb03003
3.  jsp2014
4.  dzemens
5. monkeyzonsteroids

All 5 need to confirm they can do a Jan. 7 start date for 7-10 days minimum (we'll pick that as holidays are done with school for most).

If you want to take over recruiting and making the rules, I'm all for it. I'm obviously in.... I did start the thread.

#14 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

View Postbrockpapersizer, on 13 December 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

For the record...

1.  brocksizedpaper
2.  mjb03003
3.  jsp2014
4.  dzemens
5. monkeyzonsteroids

If you want to take over recruiting and making the rules, I'm all for it. I'm obviously in.... I did start the thread.

The same rules that have made the community mock drafts a successful activity over the last several years are being used now. As far as the list of participants goes, it's simple: first come, first serve.

We only ask that those who choose to engage fully understand the time commitment. These drafts can be done as quickly as in a few days, provided everyone is online constantly, or they can take a few weeks. Either way, every prospective drafter will have to dedicate himself to the project if it is to be finished in a timely manner. Therefore, if you don't think you can do it - no sweat. It's asking for a lot, given the constraints.

Once all 12 people have signed up and committed to the announced start date, we can begin. Those that volunteer after the original 12 will be wait-listed; if someone else drops out (before or during the draft), the first person on the wait-list is given the opportunity to take over.

Hope we get this rolling soon! I look forward to seeing how the community values some of the more intriguing names (Harper, Strasburg, Hanley, etc.).

#15 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,141 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

View Postbrockpapersizer, on 13 December 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

For the record...

1.  brocksizedpaper
2.  mjb03003
3.  jsp2014
4.  dzemens
5. monkeyzonsteroids

The rules are consistent from year to year - since it is a Main Forum thread, the principles stay the same.  

As for recruitment, that's up to the members who want to join (understanding the dates and commitment involved) - Hence the 5 members needing to confirm given the rules weren't up before.

You're confirmed!

#16 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  • Interests:Still waiting for my man.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

I would like to join if possible. I have full access to the internet and am online daily, and would be completely active.

I've read and agree to the rules, if you can mark me down. :)

(Also glad that this is going to happen after the holidays- less likely people will be out of town or just away in general.)
Team #1: currently winning $250 if the season ended today.
Team #2: currently winning $1.250 if the season ended today.
This site: as bad as Yahoo's new updates when it comes to news blurbs and typos. I'll donate my earnings if you'll fix your news?

#17 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • 5,670 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

1.  brocksizedpaper - confirmed
2.  mjb03003
3.  jsp2014
4.  dzemens - confirmed
5. monkeyzonsteroids
6. Nick Mitchell - confirmed

For those that haven't read the rules and confirmed, please do so by January 7th.

#18 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,718 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'm in if this is a Professional Money League ... jk ... I'm in for a 01/07/13 start

EDIT:

1.  brocksizedpaper - confirmed
2.  mjb03003
3.  jsp2014
4.  dzemens - confirmed
5. monkeyzonsteroids
6. Nick Mitchell - confirmed
7. jp_power - confirmed

Edited by RotoRaysfan, 13 December 2012 - 07:34 PM.
Updated list!

#19 dumherb1

dumherb1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Im in read the rules 1/7/13 works and full access from work/home

Im confirmed!!

#20 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,354 posts
  • Interests:Stocks, fantasy sports and Real Estate investment....

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

i am in
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978