Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

deep league vs shallow league

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 thecreditgrabber

thecreditgrabber

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

which do you prefer...?i love playing deep leagues because you would have a chance to trade more...in shallow leagues trades are minimal because there are alot fas available

#2 Nicm9531

Nicm9531

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

I play in a 12 team league but I want to get involved in a 20+. I think I would enjoy it.
Pg- Tony Parker, Eric Bledsoe, Trey Burke
Sg- Jimmy Butler, Gordon Hayward

Sf- Kawhi Leonard, Trevor Ariza
Pf- Kevin Love, Taj Gibson, Amir Johnson
C- Al Jefferson, Roy Hibbert,

#3 thecreditgrabber

thecreditgrabber

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostNicm9531, on 13 December 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

I play in a 12 team league but I want to get involved in a 20+. I think I would enjoy it.

base in my experience 20 man league with 9 players per team would be enjoyable...so there will be still some fa gems

#4 patentboy23

patentboy23

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

I tried 16 tm this yr and must say it's much more challenging to have a deep talented squad. In 10 tm and under, most of the teams are way too stacked.  I prefer minimum 12 team league.  Imo, deeper leagues weed out the good/ bad fantasy players since you have be savvy enough to get the studs when you getting in the 100+ pick range.
12 team H2H 12 cat
G -K. Irving, J. Nelson, R. Jackson
SG- D. Wade,, K. Leonard, D. Green
SF- P. Pierce, E. Illyasova, S. Marion
PF- K. Love, Mk. Morris
C- J. Noah, E. Kanter

#5 zass17

zass17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

assuming 6 playable players per NBA team, and with 30 teams out there, league size at 6*30=180 players could be pretty much enjoyable for me.

The 7th, or 8th guys of a NBA team always comes out of no where and that is what makes the FA very exciting, not oversupply yet not dry.

And because not everyone gets to grab the sleepers in FA, this size would be just enough to drive up trades between team owners.

on this basis, 20*9, 18*10, 16*11, 14*12 etc league setting could be very fun for me.

I don't know if this is a shallow or deep league though.

I also play another pretty fun setting: H2H 20 teams, 5 players per team, 3 spot per day: Utl, Utl, Utl. Auction draft. Cats: P,A,R,S,B
You get build up you own unbeatable 3 on 3 team, have the freedom to go all big or all small, and can spam the FAs with a lot of good players in the pool.It's pretty much like playing pokers to me.

Edited by zass17, 13 December 2012 - 09:05 PM.

9-cats, H2H, PG/SG/SF/PF/C/U*2/BN*4
16 teams, 11 players per,

G - Bledsoe, Lawson, Collison, C Lee
F - Kawhi, Parsons, C Butler, Dunleavy, Booker

C - Sullinger, Pekovic,

#6 LuN

LuN

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

deep league..you get to show your ability to predict gems and busts during the draft + off the wire

#7 Kawz

Kawz

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Deep League - 16 Team, 13 players

To me it's optimal
16 Team H2H 9 Cat Redraft League

G - Lance Stephenson, Caron Butler, Danny Green, Jeremy Lin,
F - Lamarcus Aldridge, Chandler Parsons, Thaddeus Young, Corey Brewer, Wilson Chandler
C - Al Jefferson, Spencer Hawes, John Henson, Jared Sullinger

#8 markdash

markdash

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,243 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Deep. My longtime league is 16 x 14 and the wire is more barren than the surface of the moon.
"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
                                                        -G.K. Chesterton

"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its students."

#9 inspiron22

inspiron22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

I think deeper leagues are more fun than shallow. I prefer at least 12. 10 or less feels like a joke--as in, you need a lot of luck and there's barely any trade movement

#10 hifica

hifica

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

I'm in a 20 teams (15 players) league, so 300 players were drafted. It was so much fun when I digged out Jeremy Lin and Pek last year. and this year I got shved. When you are in a 12 team league, you can always find someone useful off waiver wire.

#11 jayreyd

jayreyd

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

View Postmarkdash, on 13 December 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

Deep. My longtime league is 16 x 14 and the wire is more barren than the surface of the moon.

My long time one is 14x15. Majority of wire suggestions that articles talk about or are posted here were drafted. Seems like only players that breakout through a starters injury are the ones available.
I got my Landry Fields Raps jersey.... Do you?

#12 paqman78

paqman78

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

I hate deep leagues now.  People become too guarded against making trades and dropping players (because it's slim pickings in waiver wires).
"At the end of the day - we're ALL just speculating....and it's only Fantasy Basketball."

#13 ComericanPie

ComericanPie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Love deep leagues because it favors skill, while shallower leagues favor luck. I'm in an 8-man this year because we couldn't scrap up enough people for a 10 or 12, and while I'm doing well, it has a much different feel to it. We made it 8x15 though to somewhat salvage the wire from being a pool of studs (120 players rostered + IR spots), but it's still pretty packed. Quite annoying.

#14 phatjonny2001

phatjonny2001

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

20 Team League since 2001 for me.  This year, I've pulled out 2 trades and the waiver wire has been slim pickings to say the least.  However, this year the add/drop rate has been very active :)
20 Team League $$$ H2H 8 CAT - Weekly Lineups Must play - G G F F C Util Util
Guard- K. Walker/J. Teague Forward-K. Love/P. Pierce Center-M. Gortat Util-C. Frye/D. Green
Bench: W. Johnson/R. Sessions/J. Farmar

#15 Goon

Goon

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

View Posthifica, on 14 December 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

I'm in a 20 teams (15 players) league, so 300 players were drafted. It was so much fun when I digged out Jeremy Lin and Pek last year. and this year I got shved. When you are in a 12 team league, you can always find someone useful off waiver wire.

Agreed. I play in a 18 teams (15 players) and it is so much better because of the bigger challenge. Oh yeah, and it's a keeper league, which makes it even more interesting.

I used to play 4 or 5 leagues per season, now i only play one longterm league. It feels so much more realistic. Before when i was in more leagues it was allways weird, when one player had a great game, and i was happy because he was on one of my teams, but at the same time i played against him in one of the matchups. Strange feeling.

I don't have such a strong team yet, but i do have a lot of young prospects, including Irving and Davis. :)

Edited by Goon, 14 December 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#16 Dynasty999

Dynasty999

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Deep leagues for sure. You have a bigger edge if you are good + it's more fun