Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Cincinnati Reds 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

After two straight disappointing playoff runs, are the Reds actual contenders this year? On paper, they seem to be pretty good. Rotation headlined by Latos, Cueto, and Chapman and a solid lineup centered around Votto, Phillips, Choo, Bruce, Frazier, and Ludwick. A few questions for the Reds this year:

Will Broxton be successful in the closer role?
Will Chapman's arm hold up for a full year of starting?
Who starts behind the plate?
Does Billy Hamilton eventually fit in some place?
Can Arroyo, Bailey, and Leake follow up decent years to fill in the 4th and 5th starter roles?
Will the lack of depth matter this year?
Bring back Ray!

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

One other major question is Votto. He was not MVP contender Joey Votto coming down the stretch after the injury. The power just wasnt back yet. I like the Reds, I think the NL is tough but they can be one of the better teams. Going into the playoffs I liked them and Detroit and they looked good the first two games, then Cueto got hurt, Rolen made the error in game 3 and despite the GS by Posey in the decider, they had a lot of good opps and just couldnt get the timely hit to tie or pull ahead.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 RAEF715

RAEF715

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

they do look good on paper. obviously, the chapman to the rotation/broxton to closer decision is the huge one. personally, i would have left Chapman as closer and may have made different decisions than re-sigining Ludwick and Broxton.
could have put Choo in left, gone with Heisey in center and used the ludwick/broxton money to pick up a cf/4th of type guy, a 5th starter to keep Leake as the long man/spot starter ,and less expensive right handed set up guy to complement Marshall and Chapman.
but their bench seems reasonably solid to me- the rotation could be very good- broxton and bullpen depth if anything, plus the managerial stylings of dusty baker, the concerns...
1 month to the 2013 us open right here at Merion.

#4 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,012 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

I love The Reds in 2013. I have them pegged as World Series contenders.

#5 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

With Ludwick gone and Heisey pooping the bed (with Paul being marginally better) - how long before they just call up Billy Hamilton? I have about a dozen Reds blogs on my RSS feed and I check every morning to see if there's even an inkling that Billy will get called up. I just don't understand why it's not even a consideration.

The Phillies have Galvis in the OF, a kid who has never played the OF before, so the lack of experience out there should hardly be the reason. Hamilton has the ability to be a game changer and it's unfortunate they're keeping this kid down and not even considering a call up given how awful the alternatives have been.

#6 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

With Ludwick gone and Heisey pooping the bed (with Paul being marginally better) - how long before they just call up Billy Hamilton? I have about a dozen Reds blogs on my RSS feed and I check every morning to see if there's even an inkling that Billy will get called up. I just don't understand why it's not even a consideration.

The Phillies have Galvis in the OF, a kid who has never played the OF before, so the lack of experience out there should hardly be the reason. Hamilton has the ability to be a game changer and it's unfortunate they're keeping this kid down and not even considering a call up given how awful the alternatives have been.

He has a .594 OPS in AAA. (.386 over his last 10) Why would they call him up?

#7 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

You're forgetting one small detail

Hamilton is sucking horribly in AAA.

#8 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

The 13 steals in 12 games.

#9 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

Steals are not worth as much in the MLB as they are in Fantasy Baseball. Those Steals with that OPS is just polishing a Turd.. I'm pretty sure its in their Interest to let him Develop more as a hitter in AAA before he makes the leap.

#10 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

I guess but when you're a WS contender that should be weighed into the equation too. If he gets in scoring position once a game (which he's capable of doing evidenced by his MILB stats) then he's worth taking a chance on. That's a heck of an opportunity for your hitters to have a duck on the pond.

#11 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

I guess but when you're a WS contender that should be weighed into the equation too. If he gets in scoring position once a game (which he's capable of doing evidenced by his MILB stats) then he's worth taking a chance on. That's a heck of an opportunity for your hitters to have a duck on the pond.

Not all considerations though are for offense. I don't follow the Reds that closely, but are Heisey and Paul (whoever that is) better on the defensive side? Or do you move Choo again to left field and play an untested rookie in CF and let him learn on the job?

Just curious as I was surprised when they didn't call him up right after the injury.

#12 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

Steals are not worth as much in the MLB as they are in Fantasy Baseball. Those Steals with that OPS is just polishing a Turd.. I'm pretty sure its in their Interest to let him Develop more as a hitter in AAA before he makes the leap.

This. The old adage that you can't steal first base comes into play with Hamilton, right now it doesn't look like he's ready to hit at the MLB level.

#13 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,042 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

22 for 41 in SB's this season lol. Talk about a station to station baseball team.

#14 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

I still say they're the cream of the NL crop. This is going to be the year
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#15 MeisterT

MeisterT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

22 for 41 in SB's this season lol. Talk about a station to station baseball team.

they might have lousy basestealing instincts, Choo often just randomly takes off, but wouldn't call them station to station, they go 1st to 3rd on singles, score from 1st on doubles, etc. As a whole that lineup has decent speed, they just kinda suck at stealing bases this year, Phillips knows the most about swiping bags but he's not running much at all from the cleanup spot, maybe cause doesn't want to open a base for Bruce
"It's the learning f------ nothing that keeps me young." - Al Swearengen

#16 Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Will Dusty be axed if they miss the playoffs ?
Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7......

#17 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

Will Dusty be axed if they miss the playoffs ?

Fantasy owners hope so.

#18 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,042 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Cesar Izturis who has a sub .275 OBP his last 1000 MLB at bats, is hitting 2nd in an MLB lineup? Does MLB joint drug program test managers too?

#19 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Cesar Izturis who has a sub .275 OBP his last 1000 MLB at bats, is hitting 2nd in an MLB lineup? Does MLB joint drug program test managers too?

Baker clearly took the 50/1 odds against Votto registering 80+ RBIs in 150+ games played

#20 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

The 2nd hitter should be good at making contact, sacrifice bunting, executing hit-and-runs, etc. = old skool baseball covention