Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Kevin Garnett 2012-2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#1 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

First of all I am flabbergasted that there was no KG thread until now.

Second of all I think the Celtics would be playing better if they weren't so guarded about his minutes limit. I know he is playing C instead of PF and that leads to even more banging down low but as KG goes the Celtics go. He is more vital to their success than Rondo or Pierce imo.

Finally, and most importantly, seeing him with Kevin McHale really hit home with me. It actually made the hairs on the back of my neck & arms raise and brought a tear to my eye. Class act.
I play fantasy sports

#2 JimboSlice

JimboSlice

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Indeed. Was trying to study for a final, manly tears were shed and gave me motivation today. With the Cs, they only care about making about the playoffs at this point. I can only see them ramping up his minutes if they need a spot to make the playoffs or avoid playing Miami in the first round.
I believe in Masai.  I believe he can touch the sky.

#3 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

First of all I am flabbergasted that there was no KG thread until now.

Second of all I think the Celtics would be playing better if they weren't so guarded about his minutes limit. I know he is playing C instead of PF and that leads to even more banging down low but as KG goes the Celtics go. He is more vital to their success than Rondo or Pierce imo.

Finally, and most importantly, seeing him with Kevin McHale really hit home with me. It actually made the hairs on the back of my neck & arms raise and brought a tear to my eye. Class act.

KG is easily their most important player, when he is not on the floor their defense totally collapses. But at this stage of KG's career, he can't play heavy minutes and they are wise to limit it until the playoffs.

#4 formless

formless

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

KG is easily their most important player, when he is not on the floor their defense totally collapses. But at this stage of KG's career, he can't play heavy minutes and they are wise to limit it until the playoffs.

I agree, but this has been hard on us owners. I picked him up expecting a resurgence like last season but I guess you could say I'm slightly disappointed.

On the bright side though, he' still the most consistent player in fantasy.

#5 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

I agree, but this has been hard on us owners. I picked him up expecting a resurgence like last season but I guess you could say I'm slightly disappointed.

he's 36 years old man, expecting a resurgence like last years second half was not smart. He's actually doing pretty well so far this year, his ft% will normalize back into the mid 80s which will make him a top 35 players once again.

#6 jayreyd

jayreyd

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

he's 36 years old man, expecting a resurgence like last years second half was not smart. He's actually doing pretty well so far this year, his ft% will normalize back into the mid 80s which will make him a top 35 players once again.

I grabbed him this yr as well for the value and ended up slightly overpaying (worst part of auction drafts) but had to ship him out. I've never owned him so I don't know about last yr but the rotations are a headache. It felt like he was on the bench for such long stretches.
I got my Landry Fields Raps jersey.... Do you?

#7 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

He has been a top 15 player the past 2 seasons in 9-cat leagues based solely on that consistency. When everybody else gets hot he is still the same. Then when those same hot players cool down he is still there. His ranking is slowly creeping up because of it. Eventually he will probably be back to a top 20 player as nothing about his line last year is unattainable this year. The you factor in that they will ramp his minutes up eventually it would not surprise me if he followed the exact same course as last season. Maybe not as extreme but still.
I play fantasy sports

#8 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

He has been a top 15 player the past 2 seasons in 9-cat leagues based solely on that consistency. When everybody else gets hot he is still the same. Then when those same hot players cool down he is still there. His ranking is slowly creeping up because of it. Eventually he will probably be back to a top 20 player as nothing about his line last year is unattainable this year. The you factor in that they will ramp his minutes up eventually it would not surprise me if he followed the exact same course as last season. Maybe not as extreme but still.

they aren't going to ramp his minutes up, he will stay at around 30 minutes all year. They have a 5/5/5/5 minute restriction on him in every quarter and if hes not tired they will play him more. 15/7.5 with elite %'s is what you should expect from him.

#9 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Uncharacteristic poor shooting night from KG. He's missed a lot of shots he usually makes so he'll bounce back soon enough.

#10 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

they aren't going to ramp his minutes up, he will stay at around 30 minutes all year. They have a 5/5/5/5 minute restriction on him in every quarter and if hes not tired they will play him more. 15/7.5 with elite %'s is what you should expect from him.

Yeah I don't have delusions of him going crazy and getting 36 minutes but he averaged 31 minutes the last 2 seasons. He is at 29 so far, so if he is going to reach that 31 threshold he would have to play more than 31 minutes per game from here on out which bodes well. They might have a stricter plan for him though (5/5/5/5 to the extreme). It seems like he isn't getting as much consistent run but I don't really remember how they used him last season compared to now. Like as soon as they bring him in Doc is counting down the seconds to take him out, and then the game is out of reach by the time he wants to bring him back. What happened to this Boston team man? End of an era?
I play fantasy sports

#11 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Just missed a bunny from right underneath the basket. Definitely having an off night.

#12 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Yeah I don't have delusions of him going crazy and getting 36 minutes but he averaged 31 minutes the last 2 seasons. He is at 29 so far, so if he is going to reach that 31 threshold he would have to play more than 31 minutes per game from here on out which bodes well. They might have a stricter plan for him though (5/5/5/5 to the extreme). It seems like he isn't getting as much consistent run but I don't really remember how they used him last season compared to now. Like as soon as they bring him in Doc is counting down the seconds to take him out, and then the game is out of reach by the time he wants to bring him back. What happened to this Boston team man? End of an era?

The Celtics usually turn it on in the second half so I wouldn't worry too much about them. Taking Miami to a game 7 last year gave their organization false hope that they could contend for a title, but in reality they still had many issues with their roster (don't forget that 76ers took them to a game 7 a round before and could have won due to some questionable referee calls). Terry has not been able to replicate Ray Allen, Green has been pretty bad, Lee has been bad, and they still have the same rebounding issues.

#13 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

The Celtics usually turn it on in the second half so I wouldn't worry too much about them. Taking Miami to a game 7 last year gave their organization false hope that they could contend for a title, but in reality they still had many issues with their roster (don't forget that 76ers took them to a game 7 a round before and could have won due to some questionable referee calls). Terry has not been able to replicate Ray Allen, Green has been pretty bad, Lee has been bad, and they still have the same rebounding issues.

You can't honestly say that Boston had referees on their side last postseason, can you? Marc Davis and the Hawks? When the VP of Referee Operations openly admits to Danny Ainge without a care that they blew multiple calls against Boston? When former referees and ESPN analysts openly question the integrity of the officiating in the whole BOS/MIA series? I'm not even saying this because I'm a Boston fan, since officiating was downright terrible across the board last season in the Eastern Conference (i.e. IND/MIA).

Not to take this too off-topic, but I wish NBA officiating in the Western Conference could be the standard for the whole league. Remember that MEM/LAC series? That was true basketball. Tough, physical, intense; players HAD to come out giving it their all or they would've been eaten alive. Fouls were called when appropriate, but nothing comes easy in the postseason, and all the ticky tack plays were usually left alone. At the same time, it was still no where near perfect: LAC could flop at their whim, Reggie Evans T'd up for high-fiving Blake Griffin, etc. But overall, fouls in general were called only when needed, and they were called consistently.

#14 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

You can't honestly say that Boston had referees on their side last postseason, can you? Marc Davis and the Hawks? When the VP of Referee Operations openly admits to Danny Ainge without a care that they blew multiple calls against Boston? When former referees and ESPN analysts openly question the integrity of the officiating in the whole BOS/MIA series? I'm not even saying this because I'm a Boston fan, since officiating was downright terrible across the board last season in the Eastern Conference (i.e. IND/MIA).

Not to take this too off-topic, but I wish NBA officiating in the Western Conference could be the standard for the whole league. Remember that MEM/LAC series? That was true basketball. Tough, physical, intense; players HAD to come out giving it their all or they would've been eaten alive. Fouls were called when appropriate, but nothing comes easy in the postseason, and all the ticky tack plays were usually left alone. At the same time, it was still no where near perfect: LAC could flop at their whim, Reggie Evans T'd up for high-fiving Blake Griffin, etc. But overall, fouls in general were called only when needed, and they were called consistently.

I didn't watch the Bos/Phi series but I heard it was very poorly officiated (so you may be right that Bos got screwed or whatever). I still stand by what I said that people had very high hopes for Celtics this year since they took Miami to 7 games when in reality they had a lot of flaws coming into this season even with their off season acquisitions. Getting Bradley back will certainly help though

#15 LeeVanCleef

LeeVanCleef

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Do you think Garnett will get more minutes with the Celtics playing poorly as of late? They need to change up something and I understand the whole resting vets thing but they're now under .500 and things don't look too good.
12 Team - Yahoo Dynasty League 2014

QB: Jake Locker
WR: B. Marshall, Roddy White, Keenan Allen, Kelvin Benjamin, Andrew Hawkins, Davante Adams
RB: Arian Foster, Rashad Jennings, Joique Bell, Jerick McKinnon, Knile Davis, Christine Michael
TE: Gronk, Julius Thomas, Travis Kelce

12 Team - Yahoo League 2014 (10th pick)

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Emmanuel Sanders, TY Hilton, Andrew Hawkins, Davante Adams
RB: Rashad Jennings, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Steven Ridley, Kniles Davis, Isiah Crowell
TE: Zach Ertz
DEF: San Diego
K: Vinatieri

#16 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

Do you think Garnett will get more minutes with the Celtics playing poorly as of late? They need to change up something and I understand the whole resting vets thing but they're now under .500 and things don't look too good.

Nope.

If anything, expect lower minutes and maybe even a DNP soon. KG is getting tired way too quickly in recent games, and it's actually somewhat worrying. Besides, putting more emphasis on someone who's not the cause of the team's struggles is only going to hurt them, since they would simply be applying a temporary, half-assed relief to their bleeding, rather than completely stopping it by getting everyone to play hard on a consistent basis like Garnett, Rondo, or Sullinger.

#17 LeeVanCleef

LeeVanCleef

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

Nope.

If anything, expect lower minutes and maybe even a DNP soon. KG is getting tired way too quickly in recent games, and it's actually somewhat worrying. Besides, putting more emphasis on someone who's not the cause of the team's struggles is only going to hurt them, since they would simply be applying a temporary, half-assed relief to their bleeding, rather than completely stopping it by getting everyone to play hard on a consistent basis like Garnett, Rondo, or Sullinger.

Damn. Did not want to hear that haha. I'm not a boston fan but I love KG's play and he was one of the most consistent players on my roster last season so I figured I'd roll the dice and draft him (look at what Duncan's doing this season). This may fall into AC area but do you ride this wave with him and hold on? or do you start to try and look elsewhere?

WR: B. Marshall, Roddy White, Keenan Allen, Kelvin Benjamin, Andrew Hawkins, Davante Adams
RB: Arian Foster, Rashad Jennings, Joique Bell, Jerick McKinnon, Knile Davis, Christine Michael

WR: Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Emmanuel Sanders, TY Hilton, Andrew Hawkins, Davante Adams
RB: Rashad Jennings, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Steven Ridley, Kniles Davis, Isiah Crowell

#18 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

Definitely keep him, since he's posting #52 overall value on the year. On top of that, he (along with the rest of the Celtics) started out sluggishly last season, and hopefully this year follows a similar trend. Even though he's underwhelming and doesn't give you a lot of sexy statlines, he's still super consistent, and as odd as it may be sound, there might still be some untapped potential he has yet to achieve this season.

Edited by ballsohard, 30 December 2012 - 01:22 AM.

#19 LeeVanCleef

LeeVanCleef

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

Definitely keep him, since he's posting #52 overall value on the year. On top of that, he (along with the rest of the Celtics) started out sluggishly last season, and hopefully this year follows a similar trend. Even though he's underwhelming and doesn't give you a lot of sexy statlines, he's still super consistent, and as odd as it may be sound, there might still be some untapped potential he has yet to achieve this season.

Yeah, if there's one player that can find a way to get motivated and turn that beast mode on it's KG. Hopefully this current slide will get him hungry and angry but there's only so much a man can do when given such low minutes.

#20 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

Yeah, if there's one player that can find a way to get motivated and turn that beast mode on it's KG. Hopefully this current slide will get him hungry and angry but there's only so much a man can do when given such low minutes.

I really hope he gets hungry and angry. Someone needs to light the fire to get the C's going this season.