Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

2013 2B Rankings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

So just finished going through the majority of my 2b Prep. If you are in a regular sized league, especially head to head where you really only need 1 2B and its gonna go 10-12 teams in a mixed league, you probably dont have much to worry about.

If you go deeper, maybe a 12-15 mixed Roto that has 2B and MI where you could be going 20-25 deep - you might find the position a little thinner than you think:
This is based on 20-game requirement and generally if a guy has 2b-ss elig, I will put him at SS, which I think is the thinner position

Top 10 Pretty Solid:
Cano, Kinsler, Pedrioa, Phillips, Zobrist, Hill, Weeks, Kipnis, Uggla and Walker.

Next 5 Gets a little riskier:
Jurickson Profar - would actually be 2B eligible for me because he played there the most and its where he might play in 13
Chase Utley - knee issues, if he could get full season of ABs numbers I think could be good.
Dustin Ackley and Gordon Beckham - both really high ranked prospects as they came up, have disappointed some but could have some PHS in them.
Jose Altuve - I know he gets a lot of pub, but 37 RBI? Better be a 50SB guy or hit .310+ with RBI that low
Danny Espinosa - talking about platoon? Troubling part is the side they dont like is the one where large majority of his power came from. 14/17HR??

2 Guys Fantasy owners should pull to be 2B in 2013: Grant Green and Jedd Gyorko.

Best of Rest:
Kelly Johnson (depending on where he ends up- would be nice to see him in 2b-dire fantasy spot like Minn, KC, Cubs or Miami.
Omar Infante - could be viewed by some in next level, Im just not buying career year from Journeyman.
Howie Kendrick
Daniel Murphy
Jeff Keppinger
Ryan Roberts

Injury Question Marks: Freddy Sanchez and Brian Roberts

The one in my top 10 I think I might target if I go after a 2B based on value is Rickie Weeks, had aweful beginning to season at .199, which soured many on him, he was unrostered in our 13-team roto league by end of the year, I think you call him out early in an auction (especially roto where you might go 20+ deep), very similar numbers in 4 categories to Brandon Phillips, who people would probably value much higher.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#2 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

I would rather have one of the risky guys than Uggla that bum.

#3 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

I would rather have one of the risky guys than Uggla that bum.

Well that is where value and pricing come in. Uggla had a big drop last year where his low average really wasnt worth it. It was OK when he was a 30+ HR guy, but when he dropped sub 20, and you pay for the higher production, he is a disappointment. He is another one along with Weeks who if you call him at the right time in an auction might bring good value. I think early, when two thoughts are:
1. He stunk last year
2. There are plenty of 2B still left
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#4 rag9876

rag9876

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

After the top 10, Josh Rutledge. Shh...

#5 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I don't think he qualifies at second though. It's a shame Tulo couldn't come back early enough last year to get Rutledge enough games at second to qualify. He'll play it this year though.
Bring back Ray!

#6 rag9876

rag9876

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

I don't think he qualifies at second though. It's a shame Tulo couldn't come back early enough last year to get Rutledge enough games at second to qualify. He'll play it this year though.

You could just draft him and wait 10 (or 20) games until he qualifies, since he'll be playing there everyday. Worst case scenario you use a replacement level guy for the first few weeks, then really cash in when he's clicking with the rest of the Rockies offense (hopefully) in the summer.

#7 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

As mentioned in my post its one of the things that makes 2B a little thinner than normal is a guy like Rutledge is SS eligible not 2B, but will be the 2B this year and the fact he is a SS, there will be no sssshhh about him, he will be one of the most hyped "sleepers" come March.

#8 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

I agree with the majority of your groupings but I think you have Howie Kendrick too low. .292 lifetime hitter with approx. 10 HRs and 12 bags

#9 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Id probably have Utley, Altuve, Kendrick over Uggla or Walker. But have not really done rankings yet.

#10 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Neil Walker is the guy I might wait for if i don't get Philips or Zobrist at a reasonble spot.

Btw, is Jemile Weeks off the radar completely now? ship has sailed?

Edited by LyondellBasell, 19 December 2012 - 08:48 PM.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#11 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Neil Walker is the guy I might wait for if i don't get Philips or Zobrist at a reasonble spot.

Btw, is Jemile Weeks off the radar completely now? ship has sailed?

It just seemed like the organization had soured on him and they are thinking now Grant Green at 2B. It will probably be a chance for Jemile to win that job in Spring and certainly if he does, he should be a cheap source of SBs, but for now I would probably go somewhere else and if it were an auction keeper league, I might go Green and stash him.

#12 Mexi1024

Mexi1024

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Matt Carpenter is the big sleeper on this list. I have a close eye on his off-season 2B transition.

#13 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

It would have to be a 5 game rule for Carpenter to qualify in a league at 2b for drafts. All of mine are 10+. He will be 1b/3b/of I think in most drafts.

#14 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Matt Carpenter is the big sleeper on this list. I have a close eye on his off-season 2B transition.

Is this NL Only league? I looked at him, especially when heard about potentially being told to look at 2B, but to me he is kind of like Decalso, in the sense for a standard sized league, I just didnt see the numbers being there to get me too excited. Yes he had a nice postseason, the clutch HR filling in was a great story, but I just dont see over course of season, even with the gig where he has much fantasy appeal in normal sized league.

#15 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

don't sleep on Utley. he's a smart player and smart players are able to handle the effects of age better than other players. he doesn't need speed to steal bases and doesn't need full strength to wait for a pitch to drive out of that bandbox. he's an injury risk but I'd take that 10 times out of 10 over a guy who might outright suck like Walker, Uggla, Weeks.

I like Altuve if he goes late enough. nothing sexy about him but I like speed/AVG guys from my MI spots, and moving to the AL should give him a slight boost in R and RBI.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#16 malta69

malta69

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

I relly hope to see Kipnis takes some strides forward this year. After such a phenomenal first three months, he really fell off of a cliff in the dog days, but then again, that entire team pretty much imploded late in the year. His second half decline was so steep that it may actually help bump his draft value pretty significantly this spring.
Bases...
2008 Extra Base Hit Dynasty League Champion - The Inaugural Season

Foots...
'06, '07, '08 & '09 Boozers & Losers League Champ

#17 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Let's talk super sleeper Gordon Beckham?

Anyone looking for him this year? Or is everyone still pissed off at him for how much he's under produced?

#18 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Let's talk super sleeper Gordon Beckham?

Anyone looking for him this year? Or is everyone still pissed off at him for how much he's under produced?

No I think he is on many radars including mine. I have him in that 11-16/17 group of 2B. If you are in a decent sized roto league going 2B-SS-MI he should definetly be on your radar.

#19 cyberer

cyberer

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

I'd rather have utley than many of the guys on the list. I have him for 20 in my mixed dynasty but that might be too rich though...

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 9
Gronk if you're Horny

3rd Place

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (backup Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Gronk (backup Cameron)

FLEX Ben Tate (backups sproles, denard robinson, taliaferro)

#20 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

One update to this, is actually Zobrist could find his way to the SS list, I should of put him over there as generally SS is worse than 2B and I rank players where they would have more value.

As for Utley whom a lot of you mentioned I love the guy as a player, one of my favorites in the game who cant love Mr. World "Fing" Champions. Guy is a gamer and had serious elite level numbers mid to late 00's. Both of these actually hurt him fantasy wise. Because a lot of people love the guy AND at one time he put up some of the best fantasy 2B numbers ever seen year in and year out, you are still paying for that, even though he hasnt been close to that in 3 years. Whether it be his ADP or his auction price, people bidding with hearts and not minds, still living in 2008.

The guy has knee issues which he cant seem to shake and as a result the last three years have been way below where he once was and probably below where the price you paid for him or drafted him suggested you thought he would be. IMO he is probably about 8-12, I rank him a little lower because of the injury situation, if he goes down, what are you replacing him with? In a decent sized roto league using MI, the pickins will be pretty slim if he goes down.