Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Kris Medlen 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
656 replies to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,012 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Anyone who had Medlen last year on their team knows how dominate he was last year as a starter.

After Medlen's last year's performance he is sure to start the season in the rotation. Which would be a great change for him as he's been an abused swing man in and out of the rotation his entire (yet still short lived) MLB career up until the middle of last season.

Now I know to expect his last year's numbers would just be one crazy pipe dream. But with consistently being in the rotation the entire year and being 27 this season I think Medlen is poised for a great season in 2013. I also think he will be had a solid bargain in fantasy drafts as well.

Medlen's last years #'s as a starter (including 1 playoff start):

Over 91 IPs 1.09 ERA, 0.77 WHIP, and 8.70 K/9.

Yeah I don't expect him to have a sub 2 ERA or a sub 1 WHIP or anything like that. But it wouldn't be out of the question to look for him to produce something around his career numbers compounded over 34 starts.

Which would be a 2.85 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, and a 7.89 K/9. Sure chances are his ERA won't be sub 3, but you never know with how much he dominated last year in 2012.

#2 Thespis721

Thespis721

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

It's not like the NL east line ups got that much better
C: McCann
1B: Victor Martinez
2B: Dustin Ackley
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Alexei Ramirez
CI: Anthony Rendon
MI: Jed Lowrie
OF: Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Alex Gordon, De Aza
UT: Chase Headley
DL: Fowler, Lind
SP: Scherzer, Kazmir, Alex Wood, Lincecum, Gallardo

#3 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

it's going to be really, really interesting to see where his ADP falls. sometimes people are overly cautious about these types so it's no guarantee that he's going to be overvalued.

Edited by jsp2014, 20 December 2012 - 02:19 PM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#4 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

i expect him to get the same kinda buzz that Cory Luebke got in last years drafts, which was like round 11 or 12 in 12 teamers... in the 130s overall.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#5 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,012 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Who is the idiot who put Offseason outlook on the thread title? Can we get that fixed please? lol

#6 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,937 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

i expect him to get the same kinda buzz that Cory Luebke got in last years drafts, which was like round 11 or 12 in 12 teamers... in the 130s overall.

I would think he would go much higher then Cory since he had better numbers and plays for a better team (leading to more W's)

#7 Jmadtown

Jmadtown

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

This dude won a lot of people championships last year(this guy). He'll be over-valued, me thinks. I wonder what round he'll go in...?

Edited by Jmadtown, 20 December 2012 - 11:16 PM.

Yahoo 12 Team Football- .5 PPR

Matt Ryan

DeMarco Murray

Lamar Miller

Demaryius Thomas

Keenan Allen

Kelce

Flex: Reuban RAndle

Bench: Jordan Cameron, Jonas Gray, Donte Moncreif, Tannehill, Terrence Williams 

2012 Fantasy Baseball Champion-10 Team-H2H-5x5
2013 Fantasy Basketball Champion 10 Team-H2H-9-Cat
2013 Fantasy Baseball Champion-10 Team-H2H-5x5

2104 Fantasy Baseball Champion-14 Team-H2H-6x6

#8 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

oh he's an easy pick in the 11th or 12th. I'll say almost no chance he lasts past the 100th pick, in any league.

#9 Jmadtown

Jmadtown

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

oh he's an easy pick in the 11th or 12th. I'll say almost no chance he lasts past the 100th pick, in any league.

For sure. 11 or 12 is a steal for the kind of talent that Medlen could give... I'm thinking he could go even earlier than that.. depends on the pre season buzz. I for one am in love with the dude... At most an 8th round kind of love. :D
But, I could be persuaded...

Edited by Jmadtown, 21 December 2012 - 11:27 AM.

Matt Ryan

DeMarco Murray

Lamar Miller

Demaryius Thomas

Keenan Allen

Kelce

#10 Gotham_Soldier

Gotham_Soldier

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

I had him last year and would easily throw $10 on him (out of 260). But I don't think I'd go much higher than that. I think someone in my league will spend stupid money on him and he'll end up as an $18 SP.
7x7 (TB, OBP, BB, QS)

#11 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

i guess 11 or 12 was pretty wishful... he went in round 6 in a CBS mock for H2H, 12 team

Edited by LyondellBasell, 21 December 2012 - 04:52 PM.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#12 Jmadtown

Jmadtown

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

i guess 11 or 12 was pretty wishful... he went in round 6 in a CBS mock for H2H, 12 team

Hmm. That's pretty low. I usually put all my eggs in one basket and draft my first pitcher in the 7th. It was Madbum last year, and it will probably be Kris this year.

Matt Ryan

DeMarco Murray

Lamar Miller

Demaryius Thomas

Keenan Allen

Kelce

#13 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Medlen will likely be overvalued when it's draft time. Whether it is by all the sites out there or by the one guy in your league that had him last year and doesn't want to miss the chance to get him again. I feel like he will be reached for in a lot of leagues this year, particularly by the people that owned him last year. He had one of the greatest runs ever by a pitcher, people won't want to risk not getting him by waiting a few rounds.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 21 December 2012 - 10:18 PM.

Bring back Ray!

#14 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

Medlen will likely be overvalued when it's draft time. Whether it is by all the sites out there or by the one guy in your league that had him last year and doesn't want to miss the chance to get him again. I feel like he will be reached for in a lot of leagues this year, particularly by the people that owned him last year. He had one of the greatest runs ever by a pitcher, people won't want to risk not getting him by waiting a few rounds.

where would you draft him out of curiosity? the nice thing about this time of year is we are unbiased by ADP and hype, so I'm interested in peoples' opinions of where he should get drafted.

#15 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

where would you draft him out of curiosity? the nice thing about this time of year is we are unbiased by ADP and hype, so I'm interested in peoples' opinions of where he should get drafted.

I'd draft him with the second wave of pitching. I'm in an auction league, so I don't know much about projecting ADP. It's a $275 cap NL only, so I'd probably spend about $15 on him. That would make him a number 2 starter on a fantasy team.
Bring back Ray!

#16 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

I think he will go anywhere from round 5 to 8. I'm just afraid of the hype really building on him when drafts get closer. I don't know of many drafts happening now, but now would probably be the time to get him.
No Days Off

#17 Dissection

Dissection

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

I would pick him in 8th not before that.(H2H,14 teams)
In my opinion,he'll go in 5th or 6th cause you always have a couple of guys willing to take big risk on some players.He could be great again but I think his ERA will be around 3.20-3.50 in best case scenario.

#18 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

He will be this year's Beachy/Luebke pick. The guys everyone calls a sleeper even though everyone will be over drafting him. There will be atleast one person in all leagues that take him many rounds before most would take him.

#19 tron34

tron34

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Bill James has him projected out at 14-7 with an ERA of 2.94 for '13
"How bad is it for Larry Fitzgerald that when he finishes pre game, that's the best part of his day?"- Mike Golic

#20 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

He will be this year's Beachy/Luebke pick. The guys everyone calls a sleeper even though everyone will be over drafting him. There will be atleast one person in all leagues that take him many rounds before most would take him.

I fail to see the connection. these guys both went down with TJ last year. Medlen has had TJ already.

Medlen had a half season as the #1 pitcher. Beachy and Luebke did nothing close to that.

and Beachy was also a complete monster before going under the knife, so it's not as if he was a disappointment. probably justified his ADP just from those 100 or so innings.