Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Jason Heyward 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1134 replies to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,086 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Once upon a time before the Harpers and Trouts reached the show Heyward was the baseball's prodigy child.

After a disappointing Sophomore season in 2011, Heyward had a strong 2012 campaign where he out produced his draft value last year.

His main problem was his lack of consistency throughout the season. Heyward would get blistering hot for a week or two but then drop off the face of the Earth for a week or two.

Now with another season under his belt and coming into the season at the ripe age of 23 Heyward should be ready to take his game to the next step. He should be more consistent and hit for a higher average this year.

He was 3 HRs shy of a 30 HR 20 SB season last year at the age of 22. Heyward's upside going forward is immense.

#2 cyberer

cyberer

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Those steals to me seem like they will be a career high. I love him to be a 25 HR hitter for decent average and a handful of bags, but his ceiling seems lower to me than Harper and certainly Trout.

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 9
Gronk if you're Horny

3rd Place

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (backup Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Gronk (backup Cameron)

FLEX Ben Tate (backups sproles, denard robinson, taliaferro)

#3 SoundMaster

SoundMaster

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

I'm high on Heyward for '13 after his 2012 rebound. Most promising was the increase in FB% and decrease in GB%. However, the BB% dropped while the K% worsened.
When it's said and done, it's difficult not to imagine a 20/12 floor with realistic expectations of the following numbers, assuming continued development:

.275 avg
.350 OBP
25 jacks
90 runs
90 rbi
20 SB

Sign me up!

The question is this: pound for pound, who would you prefer J-Up or Heyward? (This assumes similar draft positions or auction value, but I may be way off on that.)

#4 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'm high on Heyward for '13 after his 2012 rebound. Most promising was the increase in FB% and decrease in GB%. However, the BB% dropped while the K% worsened.
When it's said and done, it's difficult not to imagine a 20/12 floor with realistic expectations of the following numbers, assuming continued development:

.275 avg
.350 OBP
25 jacks
90 runs
90 rbi
20 SB

Sign me up!

The question is this: pound for pound, who would you prefer J-Up or Heyward? (This assumes similar draft positions or auction value, but I may be way off on that.)

Tough call Upton or Heyward. I'll go with Heyward because his ADP will be more affordable. But Upton probably out does Heyward overall but I'd think it would be close.

#5 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

.275 avg
.350 OBP
25 jacks
90 runs
90 rbi
20 SB

Sign me up!

Tough call Upton or Heyward. I'll go with Heyward because his ADP will be more affordable. But Upton probably out does Heyward overall but I'd think it would be close.

Both could be top 10 players and I can't say talent wise whom id rather have. But situationally, J-Hey is in a more positive place than after the last year or so of Upton mishandling in AZ.

I'll take J-Hey, two years removed from playing 'hurt for the Chipper'.

He still has MVP potential in him at a very young age.

Edited by tucker26, 21 December 2012 - 09:01 AM.

And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#6 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

did he have any DL stints last year? or just some stretches of being banged up? I didn't own him anywhere, didn't pay much attention.

his first two years it seemed he was always day-to-day or DL bound. he's built so wiry too, so i had concerns about durability through 162 games.

Edited by LyondellBasell, 21 December 2012 - 08:26 PM.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#7 RyanksN

RyanksN

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Haven't heard much on J.Hey lately...Any news lately? Trying to gauge his trade value
1.)CBS Auction Dynasty 5x5 Standard Roto (12 team)13 Keepers + 3 Minor League Keepers
$260 for 23 player (Also have 17 player bench not included in Auction Draft)
Batters (11) C(2)-Arencibia, Riuz $1 1st- Goldy $44, 2nd- Profar $9, 3rd- Sandavol $1, SS- Jeter $1, CI- Seager $7, MI- LaMeieu $1, OF(5)- J.Upton $26, Trout $61, C.Dickerson $5, Markakis $1, Castellanos $1 DH- Votto $37
BN - Y.Alonso $1, S.Genette $1, Ackley $1
Pitchers (4) SP(6)- , D.Keuchel $4, G.Cole $16, Teharan $15, Y.Ventura $1, D.Hutchenson $1, Pineda $1 RP(3)- T.Rosenthal $15, Hawkins $1, S.Casilla $2
BN - J.Paxton $1, D.Pomeranz $4, Tillman $5, M.Stroman $7, Rondon $1
Minors - J.Baez, K.Bryant,J.Pederson, J.Taillon, T.Glasnow, M.Wisler

2.)CBS Auction Dynasty Points League (12 team)10 Keepers + 2 Minor League Keepers
$300 for 18 players (Also have 12 player bench not included in Auction Draft)
Scoring: 1 pt = rbi, run, bb, sac, 2 pt= sb, 2.5 pt = dbl, 4 pt = hr, 5 pt = tpl, -1 =k
1 pt = IP, 2 pt = k, 3 pt = qs, hld, 4 pt = w, 5 pt = sv, 7.5 pt = cg, so, -1 pt = bb, er, -3 pts = loss
Batters (10) C- Weiters $22, 1st-F.Freeman $26, 2nd- Carpenter $11, 3rd- Arenado $11, SS- Jeter $1, OF(3)-McCutchens $50, W.Meyers $12, Gorden $7, DH (2)- A.Gon $22, Votto $49 BN-.A.Ram, Asdrubal, Cain, Pollock, Hansen, Seager, Soler
Pitchers (8) SP(5)- A.Wainwright $20, M.Scherzer $23, J.Zimmerman $17, M.Minor $12, Skaggs $1 RP(3)- S.Miller $12, A.Reed $2, A.Ogando $1 BN-.Miley $1, Paxton $9, E.Santana $12, Carrasco $8, A.Heaney $7

#8 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Haven't heard much on J.Hey lately...Any news lately? Trying to gauge his trade value

He's a hold in all keeper leagues for me. Unless you're going to lose him next year due to league contract / singing settings.

#9 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

I feel like he will be a monster this year. This is the year he makes the braves his team
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#10 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Looks like he's slated to his 2nd for the Braves this season, which does hurt his RBI opportunities, but it makes it much harder for pitchers to pitch around him, and he'll score a ton of runs.

I think a monster season is coming.

10 team 2-QB, PPR, IDP, Auction dynasty
QB1 - Peyton Manning, QB2 - Mark Sanchez
WR1 - Julio Jones, WR2 - Mike Evans
RB1 - Matt Forte, RB2 - C.J. Anderson
TE - Travis Kelce
W/R - Jonathan Stewart
W/T - Keenan Allen
Bench - Colin Kaepernick, Boom Herron, Giovani Bernard, Davante Adams, Larry Donnell

IR - C.J. Spiller

DB1 - Harrison Smith, DB2 - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, DB3 - Joe Haden 
DL1 - Cameron Wake, DB2 - Carlos Dunlap, DL3 - Sheldon Richardson
LB1 - Lavonte David, LB2 - Paul Worrilow LB3 - Telvin Smith
D Flex - Nigel Bradham
Bench - Kiko Alonso, T.J. Ward

#11 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Power profiles to hit 35+ homers, I'm all in too. BJ Up won't hit in the 2 hole? J Hey 2nd seems to be a waste of his power. Maybe they figure he'll see more fastballs. JHey has an incredible eye too, he's primed to explode.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#12 lassetjus

lassetjus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

Looks like the Atlanta manager is trying to go for a RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT thing with Simmons-Heyward-JUpton-Freeman-BJUpton. If Heyward and BJUpton switched, you would have RIGHT-RIGHT-RIGHT-LEFT-LEFT

12-team H2H $$ Keeper League (4 Keepers From Round Taken, 3-Year Max Contract) (10th year in existence, 4-time Champion, 2-time Runner-Up)
Categories: 7 x 7 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K) x (W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD, QS)

C-Travis d'Arnaud
1B-Freddie Freeman (4)
2B-Anthony Rendon
3B-Nolan Arenado
SS-Mookie Betts
LF-Corey Dickerson
CF-Yasiel Puig (16)
RF-Jorge Soler
UTIL-Antoan Richardson

SP-Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner (3), Julio Teheran, Tanner Roark, Yordano Ventura, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Carrasco, Yusmeiro Petit
RP-Aroldis Chapman, Trevor Rosenthal, Jenrry Mejia, Ken Giles, Luke Gregerson, Brett Cecil

#13 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,086 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

This Atlanta lineup is going to have a huge breakout this year.

Heyward and The Upton Brothers are going to be something special. Plus Freeman, man that lineup has so much potential.

#14 FUM

FUM

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

did he have any DL stints last year? or just some stretches of being banged up? I didn't own him anywhere, didn't pay much attention.

his first two years it seemed he was always day-to-day or DL bound. he's built so wiry too, so i had concerns about durability through 162 games.

Don't forget the trainer was quoted to saying either his back muscles or the connective tissue there is built weaker than most people. But he seems to be coping with it well.
Rotoworld Forums' Official Badass with 6 warning points.

Most of what I post is for giggles. Please do not take me seriously when I'm venting about a pitcher that just got bombed or a hitter in a 2 for 20 slump. It's all for effect and trying to make all my fellow rotoheads chuckle, so don't be "that guy", yeah you know what I'm talking about.

#15 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

This Atlanta lineup is going to have a huge breakout this year.

Heyward and The Upton Brothers are going to be something special. Plus Freeman, man that lineup has so much potential.

Just posted in the BJ thread that I wonder what the odds are of all three of them going 30/30 this year.

#16 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Looks like the Atlanta manager is trying to go for a RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT thing with Simmons-Heyward-JUpton-Freeman-BJUpton. If Heyward and BJUpton switched, you would have RIGHT-RIGHT-RIGHT-LEFT-LEFT

I'd hit BJ leadoff with Uggla 5th and McCaan 6th but that's just me.

#17 cyberer

cyberer

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Yeah I can't understand this fascination with andrelton Simmons. I know he's a good prospect but you're built to win now and have 5-6 better hitters hitting in non-ideal spots bc he is leading off.

I think that leadoff talk for andrelton has quieted since the upton acquisition though

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 9
Gronk if you're Horny

3rd Place

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (backup Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Gronk (backup Cameron)

FLEX Ben Tate (backups sproles, denard robinson, taliaferro)

#18 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Hard to argue, though, with those that say BJ isn't an ideal leadoff hitter either, he's still fairly allergic to walks. Seems to me he'd be better suited for the 2 hole and J Hey hitting 3rd would just be ideal. Burner on base ahead of him, mashers behind him, I hope ATL can work it out for him there at #3.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#19 Dissection

Dissection

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I think they'll go with Simmons in the first 10-20 games and then see what's next.Braves now have a great offense and they can try different variations.

#20 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

It would be nice to see him have a big spring
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball