Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Nick Markakis 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Markakis has been around forever. He's also been solid year in and year out. Sure he's disappointed in fantasy terms as people jumped the gun on him because he was so good at such a young age yet he never gave them that big season where he took it to the next level.

Call it a gut feeling but I think this guy is going to come in big time this year. I'm feeling career highs across the board. He's finally in a good lineup too.

#2 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Career highs across the board is pretty bold. I'm sure he'll at the least be a solid grab.

#3 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

If he is hitting leadoff, he should be in for a solid year. He was on fire in that spot after coming back until CC went up and in.
Bring back Ray!

#4 TrueShoe

TrueShoe

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

If he is hitting leadoff, he should be in for a solid year. He was on fire in that spot after coming back until CC went up and in.

Yeah leadoff will hinder his RBI
Gearing up for baseball.

#5 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

I don't like Markakis at leadoff for fantasy purposes. Sure, he helped the O's with a high OBP but zero SBs from leadoff and fewer RBI. Hoping he's moves back to #3

#6 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

I don't like Markakis at leadoff for fantasy purposes. Sure, he helped the O's with a high OBP but zero SBs from leadoff and fewer RBI. Hoping he's moves back to #3

More than likely he will hit third. McLouth should be leadoff.

McLouth
Hardy
Markakis
Jones
Davis
Wieters
DH
Machado
Flaherty/Roberts
Bring back Ray!

#7 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

this guy is the epitome of mediocre. his face should be in the razzball glossary under yawnstipating.

last time he had more than 15 HR or SB was 2009. 3 years without either 15 HR or 15 SB. for an OF. that's just sad. and he played 160 games in 2 of those years.

I was also surprised to see he's 29 years old. not even in his development stages anymore. 1000+ MLB games played.

Edited by jsp2014, 20 December 2012 - 08:01 PM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#8 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

this guy is the epitome of mediocre. his face should be in the razzball glossary under yawnstipating.

last time he had more than 15 HR or SB was 2009. 3 years without either 15 HR or 15 SB. for an OF. that's just sad. and he played 160 games in 2 of those years.

I was also surprised to see he's 29 years old. not even in his development stages anymore. 1000+ MLB games played.

Well he hit exactly 15 HRs in 2011 and only played 100 games in 2012. You can hold a disappointing 2009 / 2010 against him but he looked like he was getting back on track last year to me.

#9 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Well he hit exactly 15 HRs in 2011 and only played 100 games in 2012. You can hold a disappointing 2009 / 2010 against him but he looked like he was getting back on track last year to me.

I'm not holding 2 years against him. I see 4 straight mediocre years. even if you project out last year to 150 games, still pretty mediocre. and you're conveniently ignoring how mediocre his #s were when he played 160+ for 3 straight years.

not saying he's not bad. he's mediocre.

Nick Markakis is who you draft if you're aiming for 4th place.

Edited by jsp2014, 21 December 2012 - 11:25 AM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#10 SoundMaster

SoundMaster

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

I was on his bandwagon through the '10 season. But at this point, I think he is what he is: a decent player that is a #3-4 OF in mixed 12 teamers.

Where I like a guy like Markakis is in deeper leagues that utilize additional starting roster spots. (IE: 4 or 5 outfielders or multiple Utility spots. There, he value is increased rather significantly.)

#11 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

Look, I love Markakis, one of my favorite Orioles.

But he is Fantasy Vanilla..

#12 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

let's not forget his season ended due to a broken thumb. sure, it'll be technically healed by the time the season starts, but how many times do we hear later that complications from hand injuries linger and linger and linger ... not a huge factor, but just another thing to be wary of.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#13 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

He has 1050 career games played at The MLB level before his age 29 season. It's rare that 30 year olds have 1000 games played.
The guy has talent. Just has yet to take his game to the next level. Now in a good lineup for once in his career he is looking promising to post a career year.

#14 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,616 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

McLouth
Hardy
Markakis
Jones
Davis
Wieters
DH
Machado
Flaherty/Roberts

My guess is Reimold will get another chance to leadoff if he's healthy. Have we all forgotten how much of a beast he was for the first 3 or so weeks last year? Eh, I dont blame you. But I'll be drafting him as a sleeper most likely.

Markakis is a solid OF3 if healthy, if you get him as a 4 or dare I say 5, thats amazing value.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#15 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

McLouth
Hardy
Markakis
Jones
Davis
Wieters
DH
Machado
Flaherty/Roberts

My guess is Reimold will get another chance to leadoff if he's healthy. Have we all forgotten how much of a beast he was for the first 3 or so weeks last year? Eh, I dont blame you. But I'll be drafting him as a sleeper most likely.

Markakis is a solid OF3 if healthy, if you get him as a 4 or dare I say 5, thats amazing value.

Reimold's become a forgotten player. He's struggled with injuries so far in his career. It just seems like McLouth is better suited to hit leadoff, but you never know what Buck will do. Reimold and McLouth are likely to split time in LF, so whichever one plays will likely hit leadoff. Of course, one could always find their way in as the everyday DH.
Bring back Ray!

#16 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,616 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

McLouth
Hardy
Markakis
Jones
Davis
Wieters
DH
Machado
Flaherty/Roberts

Reimold's become a forgotten player. He's struggled with injuries so far in his career. It just seems like McLouth is better suited to hit leadoff, but you never know what Buck will do. Reimold and McLouth are likely to split time in LF, so whichever one plays will likely hit leadoff. Of course, one could always find their way in as the everyday DH.

He's good when he's healthy. If he's healthy he should start. Not saying he's a lock to keep it all year. I've seen enough of Mclouth's career to smell poo poo.

#17 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

McLouth
Hardy
Markakis
Jones
Davis
Wieters
DH
Machado
Flaherty/Roberts

He's good when he's healthy. If he's healthy he should start. Not saying he's a lock to keep it all year. I've seen enough of Mclouth's career to smell poo poo.

Yeah. I'm not a big McLouth fan, but he was pretty good to end the year. He didn't sign for much, so he'll probably split time with Reimold until either one of them steps up ad outshines the other. Both are probably worth taking when it's time for fliers in the draft.
Bring back Ray!

#18 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,616 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

McLouth
Hardy
Markakis
Jones
Davis
Wieters
DH
Machado
Flaherty/Roberts

Yeah. I'm not a big McLouth fan, but he was pretty good to end the year. He didn't sign for much, so he'll probably split time with Reimold until either one of them steps up ad outshines the other. Both are probably worth taking when it's time for fliers in the draft.

I just disagree. Even with Mcclouth's hot finish he didnt bat 250 for a year and hasnt in almost 5 years. I don't think there's any upside with Mcclouth and he isn't worth drafing outside of 5 OF AL Only leagues. Reimold has potential to be 12 team mixed relevant even in 3 OF leagues. Potential anyway. Mcclouth is the type of guy that will get hot for a short span and be in a waiver wire column once a year and then never heard of again.

They arent going to split time either. They are both better at hitting righties and Mcclouth is dismal vs lefties. Whoever has a better preseason will likely start and get most of the time there. Outside of injury (which is very possible), I'm taking my boy Nolan.

#19 myzto

myzto

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Markakis has been a stud in H2H Points fantasy league for years, more sowhen you consider his ADP. The doubles, RBI's, an R's make up fo rthe 15 homers. He played well last year outside the injury, I'm expecting 20+ homers this year and the 40 doubles. In h2h point leagues, what's not to like, especially how cheap he can be had for. In my CBS league, he's ranked 16th for OF's in projection. That's easily a #2 OF, and everyone is stating he's a #3 or #4 OF.. in 5 cat roto or h2h, sure.. but in h2h points he's consistently one of the best values every season.

#20 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Markakis has been a stud in H2H Points fantasy league for years, more sowhen you consider his ADP. The doubles, RBI's, an R's make up fo rthe 15 homers. He played well last year outside the injury, I'm expecting 20+ homers this year and the 40 doubles. In h2h point leagues, what's not to like, especially how cheap he can be had for. In my CBS league, he's ranked 16th for OF's in projection. That's easily a #2 OF, and everyone is stating he's a #3 or #4 OF.. in 5 cat roto or h2h, sure.. but in h2h points he's consistently one of the best values every season.

Amen to that. He's a much better real life baseball player than a fantasy baseball player.