Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

* * * - - 3 votes

2013 Offseason Closer ThreadFeb. 26: ANA/TOR discussion center-stage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
655 replies to this topic

#1 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

I'll start with the NL.

NL West:
Dodgers - League
Giants - Romo
Padres - Street
D'Backs - Putz
Rockies - Betancourt

NL Central:
Reds - Broxton
Brewers - Axford? (Not very good last year)
Cards - Motte
Pirates - Hanrahan? (Trade rumors swirl)
Cubs - Marmol?

NL East:
Braves - Kimbrel
Nationals - Clippard/Storen?
Marlins - Choate
Phillies - Papelbon
Mets - Francisco/Parnell?

Feel free to comment/correct/update.
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#2 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

I don't think Brandon is in Kenley's league.

#3 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

- David Hernandez could be this year's Chapman/Jansen/Rodney
- Marshall is another possibility for that. he's draftable for ratios and should get another crack if Brox falters or gets hurt again
- Gregerson should finally be a safe #2 behind Street after the job he did before Street got back
- Kenley over League
- Romo gets the kid gloves treatment so Casilla or even Affeldt (Lopez?) might be worth a pick in deeper leagues
- Marmol is as good as gone
- don't think the Pirates will get much for Hanrahan, so they could keep him and hope to trade him at the deadline
- I think Clippard is better than Storen, and will be cheaper in drafts so I might gamble on him
- Choate is a bona fide LOOGY. Cishek is a much better bet to close
- Frank Frank was atrocious and is going under the knife (minor) so I'll take another shot on Parnell

Tier 1 NL
Kimbrel

Tier 2 NL (no order)
Jansen
Motte

Tier 3
Romo
Broxton
Cishek
Street (must handcuff to Gregerson)
Putz (must handcuff to Hernandez)
Betancourt

as usual I'll probably target those tier 3 guys.

Edited by jsp2014, 21 December 2012 - 12:31 AM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#4 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

My take...

It definitely is too early to start tracking closers.

#5 budman

budman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

League over Jansen for now. That's how the Dodgers see it anyways. They said so and saw it on RW. They also gave League a big contract this off season so after that and hearing their confidence in him I would say League is their guy. Do I agree with it? No. Do I think it will stick? No. Bottom is line is for now if you are talking who has the job all signs point to League.

One thing I am interested in is the Nationals closing situation. I would think Storen gets a shot, but with the way Clippard pitched while he was down it could go either way.

#6 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

View Postjsp2014, on 21 December 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

- Marshall is another possibility for that. he's draftable for ratios and should get another crack if Brox falters or gets hurt again
- Gregerson should finally be a safe #2 behind Street after the job he did before Street got back
- Kenley over League
- Romo gets the kid gloves treatment so Casilla or even Affeldt (Lopez?) might be worth a pick in deeper leagues
- don't think the Pirates will get much for Hanrahan, so they could keep him and hope to trade him at the deadline
- I think Clippard is better than Storen, and will be cheaper in drafts so I might gamble on him
- Frank Frank was atrocious and is going under the knife (minor) so I'll take another shot on Parnell

Tier 1 NL
Kimbrel

Tier 2 NL (no order)
Jansen
Motte

Tier 3
Romo
Broxton
Cishek
Betancourt

Where does Papelbon slot in?
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

#7 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Oops! Meant Cishek, not Choate. Choate is definitely a LOOGY, and he's definitely a Cardinal.

I agree  that Jansen is the far more talented, but as was already mentioned, the Dodgers are saying League, right now. You also have Jansen's heart issue that may or may not factor into the equation.

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#8 det_tigers

det_tigers

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

I'm not drafting any closers this year. They change. A LOT! How many closers keep their jobs from start to end last year? Just keep close look at monthly closer topic here and you will be fine as the season goes.
8 Teams H2H 5x5 (R-HR-RBI-SB-AVG & W-SW-K-ERA-WHIP)
C: B.McCann
1B: P.Goldschmidt
2B: I.Kinsler
3B: A.Beltre
SS: J.Rollins
OF: R.Braun - A.Rios - Y.Cespedes
Util & Bench: M.Brantley - V.Martinez & J.Bruce- J.Abreu
SP: Y.Darvish - S.Strasburg - C.Hamels - J.Shields -  A.Sanchez - M.Latos (DL) - S.Kazmir - J.Chavez
RP: S.Romo - J.Papelbon - J.Soria - S.Doolittle
12 Teams H2H 6x6 (R-H-HR-RBI-SB-AVG & IP-W-SW-K-ERA-WHIP)
C: S.Perez
1B: D.Ortiz
2B: R.Cano
3B: T.Frazier
SS: Y.Solarte
OF: C.Gonzalez - C.Gomez - H.Pence
Util & Bench & DL: G.Springer & J.Bruce - C.Beltran (DL) - A.Ramirez (DL) - B.Belt (DL)
SP: M.Bumgarner - J.Shields - C.Hamels - G.Cole - H.Bailey - N.Eovaldi - A.Harang - T.Bauer - W.Peralta - J.Beckett
RP: H.Rendon - Z.Britton

#9 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

For basic leagues that allow unlimited roster moves, that strategy would work. Leagues with move limits, however, that could be a different story.

#10 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

View Postdet_tigers, on 21 December 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

I'm not drafting any closers this year. They change. A LOT! How many closers keep their jobs from start to end last year? Just keep close look at monthly closer topic here and you will be fine as the season goes.

Actually there were more closers who kept their jobs than lost their jobs.

#11 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostTimmah!, on 21 December 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

View Postjsp2014, on 21 December 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

- Kenley over League

Tier 1 NL
Kimbrel

Tier 2 NL (no order)
Jansen
Motte

Tier 3
Romo
Broxton
Cishek
Betancourt

Where does Papelbon slot in?

oops. I'd probably rate him as the 2nd best in the NL. not in Kimbrel's tier.

didn't know that they pegged League as the closer. I still like Jansen but clearly needs to drop down a tier if he won't be getting saves out the gate.

#12 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

I hope we don't go down this road again, because it has been beaten to death.

if you play in a competitive league, especially a roto league, it is not as simple as picking up closers from the WW at your leisure.

#13 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

View Postjsp2014, on 21 December 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

I hope we don't go down this road again, because it has been beaten to death.

if you play in a competitive league, especially a roto league, it is not as simple as picking up closers from the WW at your leisure.
  Personally I prefer to draft 1 solid, proven, secure closer (though there are no guarantees) and take a few shots late in the draft.  Once the season starts you must be on top of the ever fluid closer situations and jump on potential closers with solid K/9

#14 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Who's going to be the closer to come out of nowhere and surprise everyone this year? It seems like there are always a couple that nobody can see coming. Last year was Rodney and Johnson and 2011 was Putz and Axford. Who's it going to be this year? My early guess is Greg Holland.
Bring back Ray!

#15 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

How do we feel about

<<<<this guy for 2013

#16 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostSlatykamora, on 21 December 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

How do we feel about

<<<<this guy for 2013

I'm thinking he puts up another All Star caliber year on a playoff Orioles team.
Bring back Ray!

#17 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 21 December 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Who's going to be the closer to come out of nowhere and surprise everyone this year? It seems like there are always a couple that nobody can see coming. Last year was Rodney and Johnson and 2011 was Putz and Axford. Who's it going to be this year? My early guess is Greg Holland.

I don't think Holland is out of nowhere.

my bet is on David Hernandez. we know that, if given the chance, he is a top notch closer. and all that's standing in front of him is a brittle and aging J.J. Putz.

#18 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,260 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Don't know wtf dodger brass is thinking- have a top 5 closer, then sign a top 30 closer in league, and then explore trades for handratty. Unless this heart thing is worse than we were led to believe, what gives?

I am an owner in an NL Only Dynasty and I am concerned.
SIG UPDATED TO INCLUDE FOOTBALL!

Purple Breesus   1st place place in points/standings

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Michael Crabtree (backup Kelvin Benjamin and Steve Smith)
RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Shane Vereen
TE Jason Witten
FLEX Ben Tate

#19 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,577 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostHalo Fan, on 21 December 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

For basic leagues that allow unlimited roster moves, that strategy would work. Leagues with move limits, however, that could be a different story.
Our league falls into this category where we can only get guys when guys go on DL, so it makes it tougher.  That said, nobody has won our league over last 5 years without finishing top 3 in saves.  We do have limited Waiver Wire but closers seem to rarely be on there.

But being a roto league, with 13 teams often times the bottom three teams start to fall out of contention pretty quickly often times one of them has a non-keeper closer type you can pry for pretty cheap OR a team ended up with 3 closers and maybe you can make a deal.  There are a lot of options when it comes to finiding a closer, even with the limited pick up system we have, I still wouldnt go overboard for a closer.  I might open the season with 3 lower end ones, hoping 2 of them work out and with the instability at the position through the league, a lot of teams go this route, so you can find value.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#20 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,577 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

View Postjsp2014, on 21 December 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 21 December 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

I don't think Holland is out of nowhere.

my bet is on David Hernandez. we know that, if given the chance, he is a top notch closer. and all that's standing in front of him is a brittle and aging J.J. Putz.
I bought on the Holland card last year in Spring, only to see him lose the job to Broxton and proceed to get bombed the first month of the season before finally going on DL (thankfully).
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about