Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

The Reason You're in the Championship

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#1 AshesAndLaughter

AshesAndLaughter

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

I figure this is a good time to address this. We are all in the championship because of a bit of luck or because of a draft steal or because of some great waiver wire pickup. So, let's here it so we can all look back at this season and think of areas that we should have made decisions in which we didn't.

I drafted DMC, Ryan Mathews and Percy Harvin as my top three picks in PPR. Harvin carried my team early. RGIII was a great steal in the 7th round and Danny Amendola in the 14th round helped.

I had some great trades. Landing Graham after his ankle injury. Getting T-Rich after his rib injury. Basically, I take advantage of people who are nervous about injuries. It did suck owning T-Rich, Ryan Mathews, DMC, and Harvin there for a bit.

Pickup of the year was, by far, Danario Alexander. Bryce Brown helped me two weeks too. So, I got pretty lucky this year. The week I placed a waiver claim on Bryce, I had Ronnie HIlman as a higher priority. Someone else got Hilman, I got Bryce Brown for two week winning games and two duds. Here I am.

That is the condensed version of my year. How about yours?

12-team PPR; 4pt passing TDs, 2 Flex Spots and no kicker (HIGH FIVE):

QB: Russell Wilson
RB: Rashad Jennings
RB: Jerick McKinnon
WR: Demaryius Thomas

WR: TY Hilton
Flex: Cecil Shorts
Flex: DeAndre Hopkins
TE: Super Smash Rob Gronkowski
Def: Stream

Bench:

Mike Wallace Jeremy Hill, Bryce Brown, Dan Herron, Kyle Rudolph, Juwan Thompson

Biggest trade of the year:

Week 3: Sent Matt Asiata, received TY Hilton.

Week 10: Sent Julio Jones + Vereen + Donnell; received Rob Gronkowski and DeAndre Hopkins

#2 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,042 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

The main reason I made it is because I did not pick up Zuerlein on any teams this year.

Joking aside, drafted well I got RG3 cheap in both my keeper leagues and loaded up on depth. Ended up using that depth throughout the year to make key trades. I traded RG3 for AP in my keeper league that I was doing well in. RG3 is a 5 dollar keeper next year, and AP cannot be kept so I basically went all in for this season. I went big picture this season and built my team to win in the end and gave up a few weeks early in the season and it has paid off for me (traded for guys on bye week to a team that was desperate to win that week).

Edited by Cmilne23, 21 December 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#3 Samurai Mike

Samurai Mike

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Started with Cam Newton and Julio Jones for really cheap in a 10 team, 2 keeper auction league.

Drafted AP (for relatively cheap because of injury concerns); Doug Martin (somewhat cheap because he is a rookie); Trent Richardson; AJ Green; Andrew Luck

Traded Julio Jones for Megatron straight up around mid year to a guy that wanted Julio Jones for his cheap keeper value because he was looking towards next year already. Traded Andrew Luck straight up for RG3 to someone in a similar situation who was convinced that RG3 wouldn't last the year (trade happened right after the RG3 concussion).

#4 WestCoastMets

WestCoastMets

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Ray Rice, RG3 and a little help from Torrey Smith got me through the first half of the season.

Trading for Felix Jones the week before Murray went down and Ahmad Bradshaw with RG3 and Rice got me through the middle part of the season.

Having the balls to trade Calvin Johnson for CJ Spiller, Miles Austin, Steve Johnson, and Aaron Hernandez in a dynasty league got me to the playoffs.

Russell Wilson, Steven Jackson, and Steve Johnson get a shout out for getting me to the finals.

Edited by WestCoastMets, 21 December 2012 - 11:37 AM.

Ill Communication - 12 Team H2H Keeper (3*) - $$$ - QB, 3WR, 2RB, TE, 2W/R/T, DEF, NO Kickers
1pt PPR, 6pts All TDs, 1pt per 10yds Rush/Rec, 1pt per 25yds Pass, 5pt Bonus @ 100, 150, 200yds Rush/Rec and 300, 350, 400yds Pass

QB - Tony Romo
WR - Dez Bryant*, Victor Cruz, Antonio Brown
RB - Reggie Bush*, Zac Stacy
TE - Rob Gronkowski
W/R/T - Lamar Miller, TY Hilton
DEF - Cowboys

BN - David Wilson, Lance Moore, Delanie Walker, Willis McGahee, Carson Palmer, Eagles D, Lions D, Falcons D

#5 GChicago

GChicago

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

I feel like I just outlasted everyone in my league. My team wasn't great, I had no great pick-ups during the season, and no great draft steals. I also didn't have any busts or seriously injured players and my guys got hot when they needed to. Other than Defense and Kicker my starting line-up last week was picks 1-7 in my draft. Pretty boring really.
12 Team PPR League
QB: T. Romo
RB: L. McCoy, A. Foster, L. Bell, D. McFadden
WR: V. Cruz, J. Maclin, R. Wayne, B. Cooks, K. Tompkins
TE: J. Witten, A. Gates
K: M. Bryant
Def: Denver

#6 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

The main reason I made it is because I did not pick up Zuerlein on any teams this year.

Joking aside, drafted well I got RG3 cheap in both my keeper leagues and loaded up on depth. Ended up using that depth throughout the year to make key trades. I traded RG3 for AP in my keeper league that I was doing well in. RG3 is a 5 dollar keeper next year, and AP cannot be kept so I basically went all in for this season. I went big picture this season and built my team to win in the end and gave up a few weeks early in the season and it has paid off for me (traded for guys on bye week to a team that was desperate to win that week).

Beat me to the legatron joke. Though mine would have been a tad different.

Really cause I played vs ELI and Rice last week. And Cobb, Marshall, Brees and Jets D for last week. The whole season was Martin plus those guys above.

It wasn't because I traded Gore for MJD the week before MJD got hurt. That hurt me too and have walked with a limp ever since.
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#7 stchri

stchri

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thanks to a wonderful auto-draft, my draft day projection was 12th place (out of 12 teams). Check out this lovely start:
1. (10) Larry Fitzgerald WR 2. (15) Cam Newton QB 3. (34) Fred Jackson RB 4. (39) Steve Smith WR 5. (58) Fred Davis TE 6. (63) Vincent Jackson WR 7. (82) Jahvid Best RB 8. (87) Pittsburgh DEF 9. (106) Mike Nugent K 10. (111) Ben Roethlisberger QB 11. (130) Jacquizz Rodgers RB 12. (135) Santana Moss WR 13. (154) Toby Gerhart RB 14. (159) Coby Fleener TE

As you can imagine, the early season was pretty brutal. Lost the first 3 weeks and struggled to score 70 points. My biggest early season pickup was probably Alfred Morris. When Fred Jackson went down in week 1, my RB situation was REALLY bad and getting Phat Alfred in there stabilized the black hole.

As the season progressed, little tweaks improved the situation gradually and I started to pick up some wins. I always play for the playoffs so I started to pick up injured talent with the hope that I could make it there and thanks to some key late season pick ups and Cam Newton FINALLY waking up, I snuck into the 5th seed on a tie breaker.

Once the playoffs started, I've been rotating defenses (don't let me down Cardinals), reaping the benefits of some midseason injury pickups (D. Murray) and riding some hot hands (thanks for showing up Cam!) to the championship week. I like my chances but however it turns out, I think this has been one of my better management seasons.

Here is my up to date roster for comparison:

QB
Cam Newton
  • (Car - QB)
WR
Steve Smith
  • (Car - WR)
WR
Vincent Jackson
  • (TB - WR)
RB
Alfred Morris
  • (Was - RB)
RB
Knowshon Moreno
  • (Den - RB)
TE
Owen Daniels
  • (Hou - TE)
W/R
DeMarco Murray
  • (Dal - RB)
K
Matt Bryant
  • (Atl - K)
DEF
Arizona
  • (Ari - DEF)
BN
Rob Gronkowski
  • (NE - TE)
BN
David Wilson
  • (NYG - RB)
BN
Russell Wilson
  • (Sea - QB)
BN
Anquan Boldin
  • (Bal - WR)
BN
Cincinnati
  • (Cin - DEF)

Edited by stchri, 21 December 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#8 Samurai Mike

Samurai Mike

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Also, A. Hernandez was a very unlikely hero for me last week. Rotted on my bench almost all year but has really come through for me when it counts. Dudes a beast when healthy.

#9 sott3

sott3

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Picked up Alfred Morris over the waiver wire after week 1. He made up for my bust draft pick of Ryan Matthews. Picking up the Seattle defense a month ago has helped too. But Morris has been the stable rock my team needed.

Team A - Yahoo Standard Scoring (4 pts per pass TD)
QB: M.Stafford
RB: E.Lacy, M.Ingram, B.Oliver, R.Matthews, A.Peterson, J.Starks
WR: Julio Jones, E.Sanders, S.Smith Sr, E.Decker
TE: J.Witten, J.Reed
K: P.Dawson
DST: Denver

Team B - Yahoo Standard Scoring (6 pts per pass TD)
QB: C.Kaepernick, M.Sanchez
RB: M.Ball, T.Richardson, R.Hillman, CJ Anderson, C.Hyde
WR: D.Bryant, C.Patterson, M.Colston, K.Benjamin, J.Matthews
TE: R.Gronkowski
K: S.Hauschka
DST: Houston

#10 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

1. Taking the best available player in each draft round, regardless of position. This is how I ended up RGIII in two leagues, AJ Green, and Dez, even when my roster holes screamed of different needs.

2. Diligence on the WW.

QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#11 cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

I feel like I just outlasted everyone in my league. My team wasn't great, I had no great pick-ups during the season, and no great draft steals. I also didn't have any busts or seriously injured players and my guys got hot when they needed to. Other than Defense and Kicker my starting line-up last week was picks 1-7 in my draft. Pretty boring really.

Similar to my story. Other than Moreno & Josh Gordon (lucked out starting him while he was scoring TDs every week when Nicks was OUT & Steve Smith disappeared from Panthers offense), I didn't make any great waiver pick-ups. Started the year w/ a QBBC of Flacco/Luck/Locker (have started each of them at least once); got "lucky" that Andrew became at least a trustworthy weekly starter. Rode my regular lineup of Ray Rice/Doug Martin/McGahee-Moreno (FLEX)/AJ Green all year long. Oh, and I hate kickers as much as anyone else, but Gostkowski has been consistently very good this year as well. I never lost b/c of a dud from my kicker at least.

Edited by cubbie5150, 21 December 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#12 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,648 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Trading for Brandon Marshall and Matt Ryan.

Trading for Randall Cobb.

Trading away Ryan Mathews.
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#13 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

The difference between my losing teams and winning teams was one factor: the young RBs and Brandon Marshall. My losing teams didn't have either, my winning teams did.

My 2 championship teams even managed to survive slow starts from guys like Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden, Cam Newton, etc. and an injury to Harvin because they were carried by Martin, Richardson, Spiller, Morris, all these guys i drafted as RB2s eventually became my RB1s. Marshall is also the number 1 WR in fantasy and consistently scored the big points whenever i needed them.

Best draft pick: CJ Spiller for $7. Unbelievable steal. Mike Williams for $1. Randall Cobb for $1. LOL

Best waiver pick: Danario Alexander.

Here is one of those teams (12 team, non PPR):

QB: Tom Brady
RB: Chris Johnson, Trent Richardson, Alfred Morris, CJ Spiller
WR: Brandon Marshall, Percy Harvin, Mike Williams, Randall Cobb
TE: Streamed all season. Celek, Rudolph, Cook, etc. Currently Dennis Pitta
D: Streamed all season, until i got Denver off the waiver wire...
K: Hanson, to Greg the Leg, now Dan Bailey

Edited by predator_05, 21 December 2012 - 01:29 PM.

"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#14 TommyJoe

TommyJoe

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,517 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

not panicking or over reacting with cam's slow start ....

trading mikel leshoure and brandon lloyd for victor cruz

no one taking me up on my trade offers that included doug martin or dez bryant or andre johnson

picking up both heath miller and aaron hernandez off waivers to man my TE position

snagging the "right" broncos back .... moreno

10 Team Yahoo H2H Football Geniuses League ***2010 League Champions*** PPR Scoring

Start: 1 QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR, 1 K, 1 DEF (6 BN, 1 IR) $65/$100 FAAB

QB: T Brady, R Wilson

WR: B Marshall, J Maclin, O Beckham Jr, J Gordon

RB: J Charles (K3), E Lacy (K2), R Jennings, R Mathews, J Hill

TE: T Kelce

K: D Bailey

DEF: Indianapolis, New York (Giants)

IR: Empty

Pending Trade: J Hill for K Davis

12 Team ESPN H2H Here Comes Da Poonami! NON-PPR Scoring

Start: 1 QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 K, 1 DEF (8 BN)

QB: M Sanchez, K Orton

RB: M Ingram, J McKinnon, R Jennings, C Sims

WR: B Marshall, R Cobb, P Harvin, J Matthews, K Wright, C Shorts III

TE: T Kelce

K: M Bryant

DEF: Chiefs, Rams, Giants

#15 Smoot4Prez

Smoot4Prez

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Drafted AP in the third round.

Traded for Cam with an angry owner when his stock was low. (Was after the Giants game. Traded Cutler for him straight up)

Other than those two, it's been a carousel at every other position due to injuries. Just been keeping up with the WW and playing match-ups / hot hands all year.

#16 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Traded for Cam with an angry owner when his stock was low. (Was after the Giants game. Traded Cutler for him straight up)

Oh god...
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#17 the1gq2nvy

the1gq2nvy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

I got Brady and Lynch and gave up Romo, Vjax, sproles and ridley. Picked up cobb off FA.

12 team Head to Head Money league

PG- D. Will
G- K. Lowry
G - Isiah Thomas
SG- Jamal Crawford
SF- K. Korver
F- D. Gallonari
F- Ersan Illysova
PF- G. Monroe
C- Al Jefferson
C. Larry Sanders
Bn: M.Dunlevy, A. Stat, Hawes, Ginoboli

#18 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

My 7th and 8th round picks, CJ Spiller and Tony Gonzalez get a lot of credit. Romo has been at the helm for me all season, and he's been very solid especially the second half of the season. McCoy and Murray were my top two picks, a little dissapointing but Murray has been coming on and I think I'll play McCoy this week.

Julio is actually my only WR stud...other than that it was Antonio Brown until he got hurt, then, surprisingly, Lance Moore actually impressed me by carrying my WR2 position the entire 2nd half of the season. And my kicker/defense is Matt Bryant and Denver...very solid, guaranteed at least 20 pts from my kicker defense combo every week.

So actually not an incredibly stacked team, but very solid at every position.

#19 scienergy

scienergy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Cobb has been an excellent WR2 disguised as a WR1. Same for Shorts. Foster not getting hurt and Matty Ice in the 3rd round means I'm in the championship game.

#20 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

Foster staying healthy. Dominating the ww with Luck, Morris, and Cobb. Nailing the wr's I waited on to draft, Decker and Wayne. In the end I only made the playoffs because...I lost my end of the year trades...here's how:

I liked McGahee's schedule and Morris had an upcoming bye. I had the most points (consistently) but due to bad luck was 4-5 and in "must win" mode. I traded Morris and Luck for McGahee. Week 12 I played the guy I traded with, and McGahee was out for the season. The guy played Luck over Romo. That week Romo threw for 400+ yards and 3 tds on thanksgiving. If not for trading him luck, I would have lost. Losing that trade actually won me that game.

With an eye towards next year and a 5-6 record (still with the most points), I traded for McCoy to pair him with Foster as my two keepers. I dealt Matt Ryan and Reggie Wayne for McCoy, Mike Wallace, and Josh Freeman. I then dealt Ridley and Wallace for Gore because I hated Ridely's playoff schedule. As a result of the deal I waivered Brown which I wouldn't have done otherwise. He took me towards the playoffs.

As for the playoffs, after dealing Cruz Wayne during my crazy trading time, I was left with Decker and Cobb at wr. However, they have both been wr1's for the playoffs.

My most common lineup combination for the regular season was Matt Ryan, Arian Foster, Alfred Morris, Stevan Ridley/Randall Cobb, Reggie Wayne, Eric Decker, Jimmy Graham. I also had Cruz much of the season before dealing him for Graham because my crappy tight end situation lost me 3 games. I took that stud lineup and my playoff lineup has been a watered down combo of Josh Freeman (Joe Flacco this week), Arian Foster, Frank Gore, Bryce Brown (D-Will for the finals this week), Randall Cobb, Eric Decker, Jimmy Graham.

Somehow all my different and crazy moves have paid off. I am in the finals with a 50/50 shot to win it all. And, I now have Foster and McCoy for next season. I'll take it. Also, I tied round 1 but because my team was the higher seed, I got to move on.

Edited by Red Sox Nation, 21 December 2012 - 03:47 PM.