Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Chris Sale 2013 OutlookCan he be better than last year?

• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Not sure if I'd expect him to top his 2012 numbers.  But very likely that he takes his 2012 ratios (or something close to) and applies them to more innings.

As he missed 5 starts last year due to arm fatigue.  So the injury concern is there.  But a lot of comparasions to Randy Johnson in his throwing motion.  One of the wackier delievies in the big leagues that has a lot of doctors and scouts baffled.  2013 will be a big test for Sale.

Either way the southpaw can flat out dominate.  He started 29 games last year and got 17 wins (winning 58.6% of his own starts).  That is Justin Verlander like.... Except last year Justin Verlander had the same 17 - 8 record but over 33 starts.

#2 Mastermind77

Mastermind77

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

He's got a long way to go to compare him to Verlander.
NFL 12 team - 3 player keeper league
QB Matt Ryan
RB J. Charles, R. Jennings
WR D. Thomas, DeSean Jackson
TE J. Graham
Flex Shane Vereen
Defense: Seattle
K:  Dawson

Bench
WR: Mi. Floyd, E. Decker, J. Gordon
RB: C. Michael, T. West, Asiata
TE: Ertz

#3 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,787 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostMastermind77, on 21 December 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

I never got this logic.  Players get compared to other players all the time.  Why do players out of the draft get compared to big leaguers all the time?

#4 SoundMaster

SoundMaster

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostFouLLine, on 21 December 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

View PostMastermind77, on 21 December 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

I never got this logic.  Players get compared to other players all the time.  Why do players out of the draft get compared to big leaguers all the time?

I assume that post was based on a Fantasy standpoint, and on the fact that Sale's only had one full year as a starter in he ML.      Due to the limited track record, he cant be held in the same light as a (mostly) consistent veteran like Verlander.

But I love Sale, too.     I hope to land him on a few rosters next year but dont expect to.

#5 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • Interests:ima fantac guru

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I was able to land Sale for $8 in my auction last year- the kid left Florida Gulf Coast the year before my brother started there (for a degree to do with golf, funny enough) and word around the college is he had amazing work ethic. I know this is just hearsay, but I'm passing it along (for what/if anything it's worth).

Barring injuries or arm troubles, I don't see his stats falling off much at all to be honest- I actually think they could improve, but the W-L column is going to depend more on the White Sox and how their pen (and run support) works with Sale. I'd question their ability to field a CL for the entire season more than Sale, but that's beside the point.

In the time I have watched Sale- and I watched all of his starts through September last year (save for the occasionally one I would miss) because I live in Chicago and had him on my roster- he has looked like one of the most dominant pitchers I have ever seen at times. He does have that weird throwing motion, and everyone has him pegged for a major injury... but until it happens, I wouldn't put a dent in his value.

I mean, if Jake Peavy who had his shoulder glued together can go and throw 219 innings with the White Sox last year, I think Sale will probably eclipse 200 easily as long as he stays healthy. And I would say he should get to 15 wins under that scenario, if I'm a gambling man. Averaging over a K per IP over his career, I don't think that is going to fall off of the table, either.

He's a safer pick than people are going to make him out to be- what with his alleged injury risks (or the thought he may fall off the table on a whim or something, I don't know really- but there is that doubt attached to the guy in fantasy circles and it was especially evident last off-season and around draft time, though his role wasn't even really defined yet). From that standpoint, I think he may be a bargain in some drafts. At the same time, I usually have a cutoff point with players like Sale if I feel they may carry some sort of risk (unless I'm getting them for $8 like this past season, that is).

Sale is a name on my board for sure- I'd love to have him again.... but I wouldn't want to overpay. I hope that all of the injury talk will kill his hype a bit, if anything, and make him cheaper for owners who do believe...

My two cents.

Edited by Nick Mitchell, 21 December 2012 - 02:35 PM.

let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#6 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostNick Mitchell, on 21 December 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

everyone has him pegged for a major injury...

He's a safer pick than people are going to make him out to be- what with his alleged injury risks (or the thought he may fall off the table on a whim or something, I don't know really- but there is that doubt attached to the guy in fantasy circles and it was especially evident last off-season and around draft time, though his role wasn't even really defined yet). From that standpoint, I think he may be a bargain in some drafts.

thinking the same thing. it has become trendy to predict him to get hurt, and I think a lot of people will have him on do not draft or overvalued lists come spring.

zig when they zag.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#7 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
  • Interests:ima fantac guru

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

View Postjsp2014, on 21 December 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

He's a safer pick than people are going to make him out to be- what with his alleged injury risks (or the thought he may fall off the table on a whim or something, I don't know really- but there is that doubt attached to the guy in fantasy circles and it was especially evident last off-season and around draft time, though his role wasn't even really defined yet). From that standpoint, I think he may be a bargain in some drafts.

thinking the same thing. it has become trendy to predict him to get hurt, and I think a lot of people will have him on do not draft or overvalued lists come spring.

zig when they zag.

Bingo bango! Exactly what I'm thinking, so let's keep this on the down-low. ;)
let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#8 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

View Postjsp2014, on 21 December 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

zig when they zag.

This. I do believe some players are more injury prone than others, but Sale doesn't have much of a history. People are basically just predicting injury because of his delivery style. Let's just hope people are predicting injury and everyone is warning people to keep him away from their teams. The lower his ADP is, the better the value he is.
Bring back Ray!

#9 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,855 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Per Sources, the White Sox are set to extend Chris Sale with $35 million guaranteed and options that could take it to $60 million. Seems like a lot as early in his career as he is, with one year as a starter and a funky delivery.

http://www.mlbtrader..._medium=twitter

Bruce Levine@ESPNBruceLevine

White Sox will give Chris Sale 35 million with options that could take deal $60 million.

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#10 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

View Postdzemens, on 07 March 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

Per Sources, the White Sox are set to extend Chris Sale with $35 million guaranteed and options that could take it to $60 million. Seems like a lot as early in his career as he is, with one year as a starter and a funky delivery.

http://www.mlbtrader..._medium=twitter

Bruce Levine@ESPNBruceLevine
White Sox will give Chris Sale 35 million with options that could take deal $60 million.

*sigh* they couldn't wait till end of season to do this? now he has nothing to play for lol
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#11 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

I think he's the type of competitor who, no matter how much money he's making, he's never going to be satisfied with his performance and will keep striving to improve.

I read several things last season where he was hard on himself and was obviously very demanding of himself.

#12 ScrappyDawg

ScrappyDawg

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

If I recall correctly, he was out at some point last year with a dead arm? What ever came of that?
*12 Team Half-PPR Keeper League*

QB - Matt Ryan, ATL
RB - Jamaal Charles, KC
RB - Reggie Bush, DET
WR - Randall Cobb, GB
WR - Keenan Allen, SD
TE - Rob Gronkowski, NE
FLEX - Percy Harvin, SEA
D/ST - 49ers
K- Matt Bryant, ATL
BN - Stevan Ridley, Marques Colston, Brandin Cooks, Ladarious Green, Matt Asiata

#13 chicagowhitesox1173

chicagowhitesox1173

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:52 AM

He did add 15-20 pounds to his frame over the off season so that may help him from injury.

#14 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

View Postchicagowhitesox1173, on 09 March 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

He did add 15-20 pounds to his frame over the off season so that may help him from injury.

That probably wasnt hard, food meet Chris, Chris meet food :lol: :lol: :lol:

#15 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

If Sale's MDP continues to hover around 68, then I will most likely take a pass on him this year.  I'd rather pick up pitchers like Halladay, Chapman, Gallardo, Moore, Zimmbermann, etc. a bit later.
www. drafttracker.net

#16 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,787 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostCmilne23, on 09 March 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

View Postchicagowhitesox1173, on 09 March 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

That probably wasnt hard, food meet Chris, Chris meet food :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dude is the definition of lanky.  A good 20 pounds would do him well.

#17 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Sale getting out of 1-out bases loaded trouble with a K of Butler then a pop-out by Moose.  Whew.

#18 natti

natti

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

super excited about his first start. great value at his adp if he stays healthy. elite ace type upside

#19 mastermin(d)esign

mastermin(d)esign

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

brilliant today.

#20 bdawkins456

bdawkins456

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

He's going to be a dirty southpaw for years to come Strike out potential out thee a**
2014 ESPN Standard 10 Team Redraft 5x5 H2H each category league
C- Jonathon Lucroy
1B- Freddie Freeman
2B- Josh Harrison
3B- Adrian Beltre
SS- Troy Tulowitzki
2B/SS- Hanley Ramirez
1B/3B- Jose Abreu
OF- Ryan Braun, Adam Jones, Billy Hamilton, Andrew McCutchen, Mike Trout
UTIL- Matt Holliday
BENCH-  Denard Span, Jed Lowrie, Alex Cobb
DL- Jose Fernandez, Edwin Encarnacion
PITCHERS- Max Scherzer, Zach Greinke, Clayton Kershaw, Felix Hernandez, Garrett Richards, Jake Arrieta, Craig Kimbrel, Rafael Soriano, Zach Britton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users