Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Tim Lincecum 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
578 replies to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,012 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

We all remember how Lincecum came onto the baseball scene with his unique delievery and electric arm. He had become a fantasy staple and was one of the best pitchers in the game.

The 2 time Cy Young (and World Series) winner last year at 28 easily had his roughest season of his career last year. The K's were still there but his WHIP, ERA, and BAA all suffered imensely.

Ultimately Lincecum was moved to the pen in the playoffs where he flourished. Did he iron out the kinks that were causing him problems as a starter in his playoff run out of the pen?

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

We all remember how Lincecum came onto the baseball scene with his unique delievery and electric arm. He had become a fantasy staple and was one of the best pitchers in the game.

The 2 time Cy Young (and World Series) winner last year at 28 easily had his roughest season of his career last year. The K's were still there but his WHIP, ERA, and BAA all suffered imensely.

Ultimately Lincecum was moved to the pen in the playoffs where he flourished. Did he iron out the kinks that were causing him problems as a starter in his playoff run out of the pen?

Baseball is a funny game sometimes or perception about performance, I owned him for part of the season (the rough part) and watched him in some other starts as well and watched him in the playoffs. He still was somewhat all over the place in the playoffs, he kind of just got away with it, during the regular season, he didnt, he would have the high-stress inning and couldnt get out of it.

The one thing I kind of like in 2013 is the fact he is pitching for his contract, Lincecum has rolled the dice pretty much every year, going year to year instead of signing a "safe" deal that gave up arb and maybe some FA years like we see many guys doing. Last year was the only year that the next years contract had pretty much been decided because he signed a 2-year deal last spring. Maybe its just that little edge he needed, not sure, maybe Im grasping for a reason to want to buy on him. Unfortunately, have a lot of NL West fans in my league, almost half are Giants fans, so his value in my league is probably less than most.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 Primetime_21

Primetime_21

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Always liked Lincecum, but I think I would need to see some uptick in velocity before buying on him in pre-season. He hasn't proven to this point that he can be a dominant pitcher without those extra mph that he used to have.... although he's still good for a bunch of k's.
12 team Roto (keep 7) 6x6 (OPS, QS)

C- McCann
1B - Goldschmidt
2B - Hill
3B - Machado
SS - Bogaerts
OF - Puig
OF - Kemp
OF - Jennings
OF - Aoki
UTIL - Mesoraco
BN - Seth Smith, Betts (NA)
DL - Harper
NA - Bryant

SP - Tanaka, Strasbourg, Gray, Ventura, Kluber, G. Richards
RP - Robertson, Doolittle, Frieri, Hawkins

#4 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,012 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Baseball is a funny game sometimes or perception about performance, I owned him for part of the season (the rough part) and watched him in some other starts as well and watched him in the playoffs. He still was somewhat all over the place in the playoffs, he kind of just got away with it, during the regular season, he didnt, he would have the high-stress inning and couldnt get out of it.

The one thing I kind of like in 2013 is the fact he is pitching for his contract, Lincecum has rolled the dice pretty much every year, going year to year instead of signing a "safe" deal that gave up arb and maybe some FA years like we see many guys doing. Last year was the only year that the next years contract had pretty much been decided because he signed a 2-year deal last spring. Maybe its just that little edge he needed, not sure, maybe Im grasping for a reason to want to buy on him. Unfortunately, have a lot of NL West fans in my league, almost half are Giants fans, so his value in my league is probably less than most.

Yeah I noticed this too last year.... He would start a game off 3 IP 4 K 0 H 1 BB cruising along then in the 4th or 5th inning, the wheels came off and he'd give up 3 - 4 runs.

#5 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,974 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

http://media.lockerd...b2058935b_large

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 9
Gronk if you're Horny

3rd Place

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (backup Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Gronk (backup Cameron)

FLEX Ben Tate (backups sproles, denard robinson, taliaferro)

#6 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

Yeah Velo readings will be key. I personally don't think he gets it back, but you never know.
I play fantasy sports

#7 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

I don't see how anybody will be able to draft Lincecum with confidence next year. His stats that have been key to his success over the years, BB's and K's, are both trending in the wrong direction. If you go back to 2009, his K's have decreased every year, going from 261 to 231 to 220 before bottoming out last year at 190 last year. His BB's are also gooing up every year, going from 68 to 76 to 86 before hitting 90 last year. If Lincecum can't reverse these trends, it will be another lost year.
Bring back Ray!

#8 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

I would say he is worth the gamble since he will fall in drafts this yer but I have to think in each draft one guy(atleast) will take him way too high for me.

#9 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

His mechanics are breaking down, he can't stay on top of the ball consistently anymore. Name value will keep him out of my draft.
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa. -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. -Thomas Boswell

#10 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

I want to nab him because if he gets "it" back he will be a great value, but he just lost whatever "it" was. Its hard to think a two time, back to back, cy young could fall off so fast. One of two things need to happen:

1) The velocity comes back
or
2)He learns to pitch with his reduced velocity since last year he did have that ONE inning. Most importantly, when he did hit that, bump he could not fool anyone for the last out.

#11 Thespis721

Thespis721

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

He's someone I'm probably not going to have. Trending downward enough for even me to notice not to make a move for him. He needs to learn how to be a pitcher and not a thrower. If he was someone who was going to drop to a $15 (in standard league) play, I would take that gamble, but otherwise, not so sure.
C: McCann
1B: Victor Martinez
2B: Dustin Ackley
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Alexei Ramirez
CI: Anthony Rendon
MI: Jed Lowrie
OF: Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Alex Gordon, De Aza
UT: Chase Headley
DL: Fowler, Lind
SP: Scherzer, Kazmir, Alex Wood, Lincecum, Gallardo

#12 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:36 AM

I'm not going to touch this guy in any of my drafts. One of the very few players on my absolute avoid list. Interesting fangraphs article: http://www.fangraphs...itch-not-throw/
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#13 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I don't think he's quite reached the avoid list yet. I would probably take him at #146 ADP (MDC) and as a #3 starter.
www. drafttracker.net

#14 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,540 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

12 W, 4 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, strong K rate, but overall K's will depend on how deep he pitches into games.

The floor is pretty low though, and I don't know if he will ever sniff his ceiling again. Big risk.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#15 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

I don't think he's quite reached the avoid list yet. I would probably take him at #146 ADP (MDC) and as a #3 starter.

This is exactly what I was going to post...100% agree.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#16 ipstaff

ipstaff

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Coming off of his postseason experience, I actually wonder if an Eckersley-like (or Kerry Wood as a more recent example) shift to closing duties isn't in Tim's future. Avoids the multiple inning problem, and frees him up to just throw his best stuff out there for a few batters. He still has the ability to generate a good amount of K/9.

As far as this season goes, I'm likely not to pay quite as much as it will take to get him, especially if it's a traditional roto "no bench" league where there's no way to keep him as an "inactive" member of your team if he struggles again. I love him as a source of cheap Ks if he falls, but expect in most leagues there's going to be at least on person betting more on him for a comeback on name value alone.

FWIW, Timmy's 2012 splits:

1st half:
3-10, 6.42 ERA, 1.583 WHIP

2nd half:
7-5, 3.83 ERA, 1.343 WHIP

Edited by ipstaff, 20 January 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#17 myzto

myzto

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Would you trust Lincecum's 2013 season over drafting a Jordan Zimmerman or count ona young arm like Matt Harvey?

#18 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Would you trust Lincecum's 2013 season over drafting a Jordan Zimmerman or count ona young arm like Matt Harvey?

I'd count on a young arm or overdraft for Zim. I have no faith at all in Lince to bounce back.
Bring back Ray!

#19 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Drafted him as my #5 starter, willing to take the risk and hopefully the reward
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#20 aggie

aggie

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

He cut his hair and with the eliminated weight I believe that the strain on his body will decrease and he will be able to perform at CY level again :D