Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Brett Anderson 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
336 replies to this topic

#1 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

He will be a top 15 pitcher this year. And I don't think the hype will be there either. Already I've heard some industry people knocking him down b/c he's an injury concern.

I feel the opposite. I look at a guy who pitched a lot of innings at a young age and was still dominant through stretches while dealing with lingering elbow pain. Now he got the TJ out of the way, 2 years removed, and -- yeah, he pulled an oblique at the end of the regular season, but who isn't pulling obliques these days? He cam back in the playoffs and shut out the Tigers for 6 innings in an elimination game.

this guy is legit, and i really hope people still go on considering him injury prone. In this recent CBS 12 team analysts' mock that came out, he went in the last pick of the 13th round. are you kidding me?!?!? Jose Altuve, Ryan Dempster, AJ Burnett all picked more than 14 picks earlier. Jon Niese went 34 picks ahead of Anderson ... :P

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#2 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Anderson is still an injury risk. He has really struggled to stay healthy throughout his short career.

With that being said, he is being undervalued. Definitely has an ace ceiling if he can stay healthy. The fact that he is going so late makes him a great value pick.
Bring back Ray!

#3 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

meh lots of guys get TJ. I don't think that makes him an injury risk.

he is a stud and plays in a great park. GB pitcher who controls walks and gets decent Ks. he goes deep into games and that helps in the W column. I have full confidence in him. I agree with OP, he's in that category of guys who could establish themselves as aces.

it says a lot that the A's, who need bats, wouldn't trade him for Wil Myers.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#4 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

The TJ doesn't make him an injury risk, all the injuries he has had do.

AND I STILL LOVE HIM!!!

He is just so damn good when he is on the mound he is well worth targeting almost regardless of draft spot. Obviously I wouldn't take him in RD 3 but if his draft spot is cheap then reaching for him won;t be a problem at all.
I play fantasy sports

#5 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

I always liked him but you have to call him an injury risk. Wish his K/9 was a little better also. But still a very good pitcher.

#6 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

What's the O/U on his GS? 10? 20? Would anybody be surprised if he made less than 10 starts?
That's the problem.

If the guy actually is healthy and starts >20 games then he's a decent value pick. He hasn't made that many starts since 2009. Also, he may have negative value in K's which makes him a 2-3 category guy in 5x5.

#7 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

What's the O/U on his GS? 10? 20? Would anybody be surprised if he made less than 10 starts?
That's the problem.

If the guy actually is healthy and starts >20 games then he's a decent value pick. He hasn't made that many starts since 2009. Also, he may have negative value in K's which makes him a 2-3 category guy in 5x5.

I didn't realize how poor his Ks were. in a cap IP league he definitely seems like a candidate to be over-drafted.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#8 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

That's the problem.

I'd be shocked. I'm a homer but see no reason to think he's going to be hurt coming into the year or is any more injury prone than many pitchers. He had tj surgery. Many guys do. He came back eventually and was dominant until straining an oblique. As long as he's still taking fitness seriously, I imagine he'll be fine.

Personally, I'll likely be avoiding him this year. But that's only because I'm a sucker for high k/9 rates. You'll see me destroying my WHIP as I climb aboard the Scherzers of the world. But if you do draft Anderson he should be able to help your ratios. And if Oakland stays as hot as they were last year, he'll be a solid source of wins as well.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#9 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

I was totally shocked to hear the A's passed up trading him for Myers given his health issues. With the vast depth the A's have on the farm for SP's, the potential impact bat in Myers would have been worth the risk to me. Straily is ready to step in now, with Parker, Milone and AJ Griffin already having proven themselves as good starters, and Gray in Sacramento developing along with Peacock, that potential impact bat is much more needed than Andersons arm, IMHO.
Perhaps the A's are going to hope he proves himself finally healthy, and perhaps trade him at the deadline, but at the young age of 24, they'll have a solid core of young arms for many years if he proves healthy and they decide to keep him.
Having watched his rehab starts, I'm not totally sold that he's who they think he was, but then again, I don't get paid by the A's to evaluate their talent,....
With their rotation and BP, 2 impact bats might help them keep pace with the Angels and Rangers, and I truly feel Myers could have been one of those bats, but alas, as of now, we'll never know about him.
I hope Brett proves us doubters wrong, Time will tell, but as A's fans, the outlook is bright no matter how you look at it.
Personally, I won't be drafting him unless I can grab him very late as an end of rotation filler. But I will root for his return and success.
“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it". author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#10 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

As a side note, Michael Choice might be one of the reasons the A's decided to keep Anderson rather than trade him for Myers, he's a promising prospect. The recently drafted Russell is also projected to play an OF spot rather than stick at 3b.

Edited by FISH ON, 26 December 2012 - 03:33 PM.

“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it". author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#11 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

As a side note, Michael Choice might be one of the reasons the A's decided to keep Anderson rather than trade him for Myers, he's a promising prospect. As is the recently drafted Russell, he's also projected to play an OF spot rather than stick at ss/3b.

#12 Izanagi

Izanagi

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

He's worth a late rounder imo

Won't help much with Ks but he'll get you Ws and good Ratios

Not to mention he plays in OAK
Saints,Pelicans,Sharks and Nationals Fan

#13 avswsop91

avswsop91

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Really like Anderson this season. If he can stay in the lineup he will be a stud. What do you all think?

12 Team Dynasty, Head-to-Head Category League (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, Util, 7 P)

6x6 Each Categories (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K, QS, W, SV, ERA, WHIP)

My Roster:

C - Travis d'Arnaud

1B - Paul Gouldschmidt

2B - Dee Gordon

3B - Todd Frazier

SS - (looking)

OF - Giancarlo Stanton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Yoenis Cespedes

UTIL - Edwin Encarnacion

Bench - Evan Longoria, Kole Calhoun, Lucas Duda, Mookie Betts, Rusney Castillo

SP - Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner, Sonny Gray, Alex Cobb, Jake Arrieta, Jacob deGrom, Mike Fiers, Carlos Carrasco

RP - Aroldis Chapman, David Robertson, Zach Britton, Dellin Betances

Prospects: N/A

DL - N/A

WON THE 2014 CHAMPIONSHIP!!

#14 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

He will be a top 15 pitcher this year. And I don't think the hype will be there either. Already I've heard some industry people knocking him down b/c he's an injury concern.

I feel the opposite. I look at a guy who pitched a lot of innings at a young age and was still dominant through stretches while dealing with lingering elbow pain. Now he got the TJ out of the way, 2 years removed, and -- yeah, he pulled an oblique at the end of the regular season, but who isn't pulling obliques these days? He cam back in the playoffs and shut out the Tigers for 6 innings in an elimination game.

this guy is legit, and i really hope people still go on considering him injury prone. In this recent CBS 12 team analysts' mock that came out, he went in the last pick of the 13th round. are you kidding me?!?!? Jose Altuve, Ryan Dempster, AJ Burnett all picked more than 14 picks earlier. Jon Niese went 34 picks ahead of Anderson ... :P

a top 15 pitcher? seriously?

#15 myzto

myzto

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

If he stays healthy, he's a top 15 pitcher. I agree with that. Once you have a solid base(SP1-4 filled in) then i would be looking to add in Anderson.

#16 exm

exm

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

If you can pick up BA in a later round, go for it. Low risk/high reward.
Playing in 16 Yahoo Leagues: 3 Roto, 13 H2H.

#17 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I wouldn't count it out. He has a great park behind him, and also gets to face the Mariners and Astros in that division.
Bring back Ray!

#18 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,544 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

I wouldn't count it out. He has a great park behind him, and also gets to face the Mariners and Astros in that division.

If he's healthy he's Jordan Zimmermann. Which isn't bad.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#19 battle2heaven

battle2heaven

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Let's keep this thread quiet til after the season starts, shall we?

12 Team .5 PPR

QB Andrew Luck
WR AJ Green
WR Brandon Marshall
WR Julio Jones
RB Rashad Jennings
RB Ahmad Bradshaw
TE Travis Kelce
FLX Kelvin Benjamin

Bench
Justin Hunter/Allen Robinson/John Brown
Adrian Peterson/Carlos Hyde/Charles Sims

#20 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

I am going to draft this guy and if he stays healthy and isnt top 25 and I coming back and letting you have it. how can someone with such a low k rate be top 15.