Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Cody Ross 2013 OutlookCan he follow up his career year?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Ross was great last year for the Red Sox. One of their top hitters. Now that he is leaving Fenway and heading to Chase, will the numbers travel with him? How does he fit in with Arizona? Upton, Eaton, Kubel, Parra, and now Ross for only 3 spots. Someone is going to be the odd man out once the season starts, and will it be Ross?
Bring back Ray!

#2 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

You sign him to a 3-year contract, hard to believe you want him to be a 4th OF.

It's already being discussed in the J-Up thread, but this has to be the 1st shoe to drop, the next one's coming.

As for Ross, if he gets PT, he'll be productive in Chase Field - I would think he'll be a fantasy version of many Rockie players - must start at home except the RH aces, a questionable start on the road, except @ Coors/CIN/etc.
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#3 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,826 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Why are the Dbacks signing more outfielders?  They already have Upton, Parra, Kubel, Eaton.  "Hi, my name is Kevin Towers, and I am addicted to signing outfielders."

#4 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostRotoRaysfan, on 22 December 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

It's already being discussed in the J-Up thread, but this has to be the 1st shoe to drop, the next one's coming.

As for Ross, if he gets PT, he'll be productive in Chase Field - I would think he'll be a fantasy version of many Rockie players - must start at home except the RH aces, a questionable start on the road, except @ Coors/CIN/etc.

He may not be a 4th OF, but he may end up splitting time this year with Kubel if no one is traded. I haven't seen anything with the money yet. That will determine whether or not he is going to be a full time starter.
Bring back Ray!

#5 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 22 December 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

He may not be a 4th OF, but he may end up splitting time this year with Kubel if no one is traded. I haven't seen anything with the money yet. That will determine whether or not he is going to be a full time starter.

Fair enough if no trade goes down - but re: the signing, then you'd wonder why Ross would sign a 3-year deal if it isn't for starting OF $ (most players don't lack for self-confidence to take 4th OF $$ for 3 years).  Hard to believe Ross didn't sign for a deal that capitalized on his great 2012.  Guess we'll see when the details come out...
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#6 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

3 year, $26 million. Now someone has to go. Kubel or Upton?
Bring back Ray!

#7 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Well there's no guarantee Eaton will be ready for the majors.  Yes Eaton had one hell of a season in The PCL last year but keep in mind PCL numbers as well as he had a .432 BABIP.

#8 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 24,807 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostPRoSPx, on 22 December 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

Well there's no guarantee Eaton will be ready for the majors.  Yes Eaton had one hell of a season in The PCL last year but keep in mind PCL numbers as well as he had a .432 BABIP.

The problem is that they have ton of corner OFs.  Even if you stick Parra in CF, you have Upton, Kubel and now Ross to get ABs with no DH....Have to think someone is moving.  My guess would be Kubel....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#9 RNiner

RNiner

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

Good lord, what an awful contract. :lol:   Not a very good off-season for Arizona so far!
20 Team Roto Keeper League, 5x5 (OBP replaces AVG)
9 Keepers*

C Mauer*
1B Goldschmidt*
2B Utley*
3B
SS
OF Trout*, Cargo*, Billy Hamilton*
Util
Bench

SP
RP Kimbrel*, Jansen*, Robertson*
Prospects - Dylan Bundy, Carlos Martinez

#10 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

What's wrong with a kubel, Ross and uptown full time of?   Can upton or Ross not play cf?  It just doesn't seem they will be committed to parra as full time of and maybe figure that eaton isn't ready.  I'm not a big fan of the signing, Ross has been very up and down he was 24-90 for marlins in 2009, had the great postseason for giants in 2010 then the good year in 2012 with sox.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#11 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

View Postparrothead, on 24 December 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

What's wrong with a kubel, Ross and uptown full time of?   Can upton or Ross not play cf?  It just doesn't seem they will be committed to parra as full time of and maybe figure that eaton isn't ready.  I'm not a big fan of the signing, Ross has been very up and down he was 24-90 for marlins in 2009, had the great postseason for giants in 2010 then the good year in 2012 with sox.

There's nothing wrong with that, but they seem to like Eaton and want him in center next year. It still seems like an odd signing unless they trade Upton or Kubel. There's just not enough room to play everybody with how it is right now. Eaton has nothing left to prove at the minors and provides the best defense in center over Ross.
Bring back Ray!

#12 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 24 December 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

View Postparrothead, on 24 December 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

There's nothing wrong with that, but they seem to like Eaton and want him in center next year. It still seems like an odd signing unless they trade Upton or Kubel. There's just not enough room to play everybody with how it is right now. Eaton has nothing left to prove at the minors and provides the best defense in center over Ross.

Eaton still has to make the team out of spring.  Upton could easily play CF if need be.

I'm not sold on Eaton being 100% MLB ready quite yet.  If you have the depth like they do why not give him a good 6 - 8 week start in the minors.  It could do wonders for his season.

People don't realize that Trout starting in the minors was a huge factor to him having the type of season he had. No I am not calling Eaton Trout just giving you one of the more extreme and recent examples to showcase my point.

#13 NickyEyes

NickyEyes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

lol, lots of activity in here.. he might be back by the 8th i'm hearing.
12 Team, H2H Points, $150 Auction League, Mostly Standard Scoring

C - Devin Mesoraco
1B - Jose Abreu
2B - Robinson Cano
SS - J.J. Hardy
3B - Nolan Arenado
CI - Brett Lawrie
MI - Martin Prado
OF - Mike Trout, Ryan Braun, Oscar Tavares, Yasiel Puig, Denard Span
UTIL - Salvador Perez

BEN - Yangervis Solarte

SP - Adam Wainwright, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Jonathan Niese, James Shield, Justin Masterson, Matt Cain, A.J. Burnett
RP - Trevor Rosenthal, LaTroy Hawkins, Dellin Betances, Cody Allen, Alex Wood

#14 whips02

whips02

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,403 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Where does he hit in the AZ lineup?

Is he in the lineup vs RHP and LHP? Or does he platoon?

#15 Great8vechkin

Great8vechkin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

5th

Eaton, prado, hill, goldschmidt, ross when healthy

full time

#16 whips02

whips02

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,403 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Is he playing in the minors right now? How is his rehab assignment going?

#17 TheGreatUnwashed

TheGreatUnwashed

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

Rotoworld blurb says he is due back friday.
"Sir, it's Mega Maid. She's gone from suck to blow!"

12 Team Daily H2H 9 Cat

G - Beverley, Beal, Walker, Blake, Ellis
F -  T Jones, Marion, Deng, Pierce, W Chandler
C - Ibaka, Gasol, Anderson, Hawes

#18 placeholder

placeholder

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

Projections?
C - Russell Martin
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - ...........
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
SS - Jimmy Rollins
CI - Paul Goldschmidt
MI - Alexei Ramirez
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Shin Choo
OF - Hunter Pence
OF - Desmond Jennings
OF - Will Venable
UTL - Leonys Martin
DL - Corey Hart

#19 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,676 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

View Postplaceholder, on 09 April 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

Projections?

.260avg 70R 20 HR 75RBI 3 SB.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#20 placeholder

placeholder

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hmm, not much to offer than.. some decent AVG and POP.
C - Russell Martin
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - ...........
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
SS - Jimmy Rollins
CI - Paul Goldschmidt
MI - Alexei Ramirez
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Shin Choo
OF - Hunter Pence
OF - Desmond Jennings
OF - Will Venable