Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

"Can't miss" prospects that missed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

#1 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

I'm looking to compile a list of former prospects that were supposed to be amazing that fell far short of expectations in the majors. I'm particularly concerned with SP, but any position would be useful. Can you all help me out?

Right off hand I think of only a few:

Ben McDonald
Scott Kazmir

Greg Jeffries

Who else can we add to the list?
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#2 jbrekel

jbrekel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Brien Taylor
Todd Van Poppel

hitters:
Andy Marte

#3 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Matt Bush really fell apart with legal issues.
Luke Hochevar may count. He made it to the majors, but has been trash so far.
Chris Volstad never came around at the majors.

Bill Rowell is out of baseball now.
Jeff Clement never developed.
Lastings Milledge flared out quickly.
Donavan Tate was supposed to be real good, but has spent 3 mediocre years in A ball.
Matt LaPorta.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 22 December 2012 - 04:25 PM.

Bring back Ray!

#4 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,357 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Rowell & Clement are great examples.

I'm dating myself, but Brien Taylor.

Thankfully, prospecting is much better than in the past, but every once in a while we still have big whiffs, including:

-Tim Beckham (book's not closed, but the #1 pick was a bust there)
-Matt Bush (Padres went cheap, and paid dearly)

Re: Big Ben, Kazmir, and Jefferies - at least they had some degree of MLB success (but yeah, the results didn't match the hype - at least for both Kaz & Ben, injuries derailed some serious talent - can't say the same for the Rowells/Clement/Bush/Beckham).
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#5 LegendInMySpareTime

LegendInMySpareTime

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

Being from the boston area, I know of Craig Hansen, Trot Nixon, Brian Rose, and Jeff Juden(from the area).  Mark Prior to an extent? Justin Smoak...does fukudome count?
14 Team Dynasty League 6X6 H2H League (AVG,R,HR,RBI,SB,BB)(W,S,H,K,WHIP,ERA)

MLB Roster -
C- Salvador Perez
1B - Justin Morneau, Ryan Howard
2B - Dustin Pedroia, Emilio Bonifacio, Brian Dozier
SS -Alexei Ramirez, Chris Owings, Marcus Semien
3B - Will Middlebrooks, Chris Johnson
OF - Giancarlo Stanton, Yoenis Cespedes, Darin Ruf
SP - Jose Fernandez, Jonathan Niese, Patrick Corbin, Jered Weaver, Danny Salazar, Ivan Nova
RP - Luke Gregerson, Ryan Cook, Joakim Soria, Joel Peralta, Brian Wilson

MiLB Roster -
3B Miguel Sano
SS Corey Seager, Dorssys Paulino
OF Mason Williams, Avisail Garcia
P - Danny Hultzen, Luis Heredia, Yordany Ventura

#6 LegendInMySpareTime

LegendInMySpareTime

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

Kevin Maas too!
14 Team Dynasty League 6X6 H2H League (AVG,R,HR,RBI,SB,BB)(W,S,H,K,WHIP,ERA)

MLB Roster -
C- Salvador Perez
1B - Justin Morneau, Ryan Howard
2B - Dustin Pedroia, Emilio Bonifacio, Brian Dozier
SS -Alexei Ramirez, Chris Owings, Marcus Semien
3B - Will Middlebrooks, Chris Johnson
OF - Giancarlo Stanton, Yoenis Cespedes, Darin Ruf
SP - Jose Fernandez, Jonathan Niese, Patrick Corbin, Jered Weaver, Danny Salazar, Ivan Nova
RP - Luke Gregerson, Ryan Cook, Joakim Soria, Joel Peralta, Brian Wilson

MiLB Roster -
3B Miguel Sano
SS Corey Seager, Dorssys Paulino
OF Mason Williams, Avisail Garcia
P - Danny Hultzen, Luis Heredia, Yordany Ventura

#7 motown magic

motown magic

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

How about Brandon Wood. Huge third base  prospect from the angels. He crushed minor league pitching but couldn't hit his weight everytime they sent him down and called him back. Hank Blalock another one that really didn't go off like many thought. But not nearly as bad as Woth last year but is now an outfielderame back to earod.
Alex Gordon took a few years before hitting a couple of years ago . Came back to earth last season but is now an outfielder.

#8 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Speaking of Brandon Wood, I'll throw out another former Angel 3B prospect, Dallas McPherson.

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#9 imnottheonly

imnottheonly

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

Andy Marte, Lastings Milledge, Jeremy Hermidia, Rick Ankiel, Jon Rauch (BA MiLB POY 2000), Roco Baldelli, Jeff Francis, Andrew Miller, Ian Stewart, Joba Chamberlin.

Some of them were still servicible major leaguers but never lived up to the billing that they at one point had.
6x6 H2H 12 Team Dynasty- 5th year

C- Brian McCann
1B- Eric Hosmer
2B- Anthony Rendon
SS- Jurickson Profar(DL), Asdrubal Cabrera, Alcides Escobar
3B- Miguel Cabrera, Nolan Arenado,
OF- Cargo, Alex Gordon, Jason Heyward, Michael Brantley, Marcell Ozuna, Oswaldo Arcia (DL),

SP- Cole Hamels , Yordano Ventura, Jordan Zimmerman, Homer Bailey, Tony Cingrani, Zack Wheeler, Alex Wood,   Derek Holland (DL),
RP- Sergio Romo, Kenley Jansen, Casey Jannsen,  Cody Allen, Drew Storen

Farm Team- Carson Kelly, Maikel Franco, Jake Marisnick,  Michael Choice, Matt Wisler, Lucas Sims, James Paxton, Kevin Gausman, Raimel Tapia, Franklin Barretto, Nick Williams, J.P. Crawford, Jesse Winker

#10 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

Ankiel lived up to the hype. He just crashed back down to and through the earth, losing all control and confidence. Then he rebuilt himself into a serviceable OF.

#11 imnottheonly

imnottheonly

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostHalo Fan, on 24 December 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

Ankiel lived up to the hype. He just crashed back down to and through the earth, losing all control and confidence. Then he rebuilt himself into a serviceable OF.

I wouldnt really call a half season of great performances living up to the hype. If you bought into him as a front line start and staff ace then he definately did not live up to the hype. If you had said when he was coming up that ok youll get 1 great season from this guy then he will be a train wreck and eventually a below average starting OF anyone would have called that a dissappointing outcome. He wasn't a complete disaster certainly but with what was expected from him yes he was a miss.
6x6 H2H 12 Team Dynasty- 5th year

C- Brian McCann
1B- Eric Hosmer
2B- Anthony Rendon
SS- Jurickson Profar(DL), Asdrubal Cabrera, Alcides Escobar
3B- Miguel Cabrera, Nolan Arenado,
OF- Cargo, Alex Gordon, Jason Heyward, Michael Brantley, Marcell Ozuna, Oswaldo Arcia (DL),

SP- Cole Hamels , Yordano Ventura, Jordan Zimmerman, Homer Bailey, Tony Cingrani, Zack Wheeler, Alex Wood,   Derek Holland (DL),
RP- Sergio Romo, Kenley Jansen, Casey Jannsen,  Cody Allen, Drew Storen

Farm Team- Carson Kelly, Maikel Franco, Jake Marisnick,  Michael Choice, Matt Wisler, Lucas Sims, James Paxton, Kevin Gausman, Raimel Tapia, Franklin Barretto, Nick Williams, J.P. Crawford, Jesse Winker

#12 yort1919

yort1919

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

2 words.....RYAN GARKO
“Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.”- Babe Ruth

#13 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Jordan Lyles.
Bring back Ray!

#14 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

View Postimnottheonly, on 24 December 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

I wouldnt really call a half season of great performances living up to the hype. If you bought into him as a front line start and staff ace then he definately did not live up to the hype. If you had said when he was coming up that ok youll get 1 great season from this guy then he will be a train wreck and eventually a below average starting OF anyone would have called that a dissappointing outcome. He wasn't a complete disaster certainly but with what was expected from him yes he was a miss.
He was the No.1 Pitching prospect in baseball, dude had ridiculous numbers:
194K in 137 innings in 1999 between AA and AAA at 19 years old.  
Angels Wood and McPHerson came immediately to mind.

Couple of Andersons on the list:
Matt Anderson of the Tigers - guy often popped 100MPH on radar guy, everyone was waiting for him as next great closer.
Ryan Anderson - Mariners aka "the Space Needle"  people thought he was next Randy Johnson he was at or near the top prospects in game for a few years.

Some others I know I bought into:
Sean Burroughs - son of former major leaguer Jeff Burroughs, I think he was on a LLWS team, maybe the one from Jersey, got a ton of pub.
Adam Piatt - won Texas League triple crown for the A's system another A was Ben Grieve.

Mets had 3 pitching studs as starters, I know one was Jason Isringhausen who had nice career as closer, but two others one was Bill Pulsipher, I always forget the third guy.  

Two guys who missed in two sports both as QB of my Dallas Cowboys: Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson.  Quincy Carter was also a baseball guy but not a great prospect who QBed the Cowboys.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#15 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

I know it's the baseball forum, but since you brought up football, one guy that  always seems to pop into my head when I think about this forum topic is Ryan Leaf.

#16 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostHalo Fan, on 25 December 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

I know it's the baseball forum, but since you brought up football, one guy that  always seems to pop into my head when I think about this forum topic is Ryan Leaf.

And Kyle Boller and Mark Clayton. Both were pretty bad for my Ravens.

Back to baseball, I'd add Brian Matusz to the list. Yes, he was great out of the bullpen, but for a guy that was supposed to help rescue your franchise and be the ace the team had been searching for, a LOOGY is not really that spectacular.
Bring back Ray!

#17 Fantasy Monk

Fantasy Monk

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

I love those topics. Sleepers, Can't miss, Breakout players? Whatever and the people repling never think if the player fit to be listed in the topic. a few thoughts on the players bring up.

Scott Kazmir - Can he be called a miss, He did meet the hype at first few years but he did drop off early in the last few years but he is only 28 years old and there is a chance of a rebound. Not saying there will be but he is young enough there still a chance.

Greg Jeffries - Did this pot head really ever get that Hype?

Matt LaPorta - He is still very young and he still has 3 or maybe 4 season left before you can fairly call him a bust.

Joba Chamberlin - I wouldn't call him a miss but it's the yankees have not used him in a mather that his a value to a fantasy team.

Jordan Lyles - He's just stuck on a really bad team.

But to give a few names that I think is fair to call misses.

Oliver Perez, Zach Duke, David DeJesus, Homer Bailey

#18 d_wag

d_wag

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

View Postparrothead, on 24 December 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

View Postimnottheonly, on 24 December 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

He was the No.1 Pitching prospect in baseball, dude had ridiculous numbers:
194K in 137 innings in 1999 between AA and AAA at 19 years old.  
Angels Wood and McPHerson came immediately to mind.

Couple of Andersons on the list:
Matt Anderson of the Tigers - guy often popped 100MPH on radar guy, everyone was waiting for him as next great closer.
Ryan Anderson - Mariners aka "the Space Needle"  people thought he was next Randy Johnson he was at or near the top prospects in game for a few years.

Some others I know I bought into:
Sean Burroughs - son of former major leaguer Jeff Burroughs, I think he was on a LLWS team, maybe the one from Jersey, got a ton of pub.
Adam Piatt - won Texas League triple crown for the A's system another A was Ben Grieve.

Mets had 3 pitching studs as starters, I know one was Jason Isringhausen who had nice career as closer, but two others one was Bill Pulsipher, I always forget the third guy.

Two guys who missed in two sports both as QB of my Dallas Cowboys: Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson.  Quincy Carter was also a baseball guy but not a great prospect who QBed the Cowboys.

paul wilson, the 3rd member (and praised as having the higest upside, as a former #1 overall pick) of "generation k"..........like many on this list, his career was stunted by injuries

#19 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostFantasy Monk, on 26 December 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

I love those topics. Sleepers, Can't miss, Breakout players? Whatever and the people repling never think if the player fit to be listed in the topic. a few thoughts on the players bring up.

Scott Kazmir - Can he be called a miss, He did meet the hype at first few years but he did drop off early in the last few years but he is only 28 years old and there is a chance of a rebound. Not saying there will be but he is young enough there still a chance.

Greg Jeffries - Did this pot head really ever get that Hype?

Matt LaPorta - He is still very young and he still has 3 or maybe 4 season left before you can fairly call him a bust.

Joba Chamberlin - I wouldn't call him a miss but it's the yankees have not used him in a mather that his a value to a fantasy team.

Jordan Lyles - He's just stuck on a really bad team.

But to give a few names that I think is fair to call misses.

Oliver Perez, Zach Duke, David DeJesus, Homer Bailey

I don't think Bailey can be called a miss. He was pretty decent last year and should be solid again this year.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 26 December 2012 - 09:57 AM.

Bring back Ray!

#20 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostHalo Fan, on 22 December 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

I'm looking to compile a list of former prospects that were supposed to be amazing that fell far short of expectations in the majors. I'm particularly concerned with SP, but any position would be useful. Can you all help me out?

Right off hand I think of only a few:

Ben McDonald
Scott Kazmir

Greg Jeffries

Who else can we add to the list?
Kazmir dominated at a young age for a fee MLB seasons.... So I wouldn't say he's a "miss" but he did fall off quick.