Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

It's another extremely disappointing hot stove season for the Buccos. The dumping of Hanrahan for a AAAA OF and a 23 year old SP who has very little success at AA. Looks like the 20+ years of ineptitude will continue in 2013.

#2 W74

W74

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Would've been better if they could've got a SS to compete with Barmes...

Edited by W74, 23 December 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#3 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'm actually OK with getting sands for handratty. The red sox paid less for andrew Bailey.

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 9
Gronk if you're Horny

3rd Place

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (backup Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Gronk (backup Cameron)

FLEX Ben Tate (backups sproles, denard robinson, taliaferro)

#4 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Was Hanrahan making a lot of money? This trade looks like nothing more than a salary dump. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get a solid prospect back for a closer that has been rock solid for the past 2 years.
Bring back Ray!

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm actually OK with getting sands for handratty. The red sox paid less for andrew Bailey.

Less for Bailey? It was Reddick who ended up hitting 30+HR for the A's last year.

This is a situation where I think fantasy and reality collide. Hanrahan was undrafted in our 13-team roto league two years ago when he was projected as Bucs closer, despite getting him at free agent price and having an all-star season, I couldnt deal the guy, nobody wanted him. Then fast forward to 2012 offseason, I didnt keep him and actually got him back for $1 less and did trade him, but for very little in return. Reality is I think that teams either already had situations they liked at closer OR didnt value Hanrahan enough to give up anything worth while.

The Bucs actually have a lot of potential upside guys who have emerged over the last year through trade or opportunity: Snider, Sands, Liriano and now Grilli.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Would've been better if they could've got a SS to compete with Barmes...

Sox dont have much there unless maybe Iglesias (who is pretty much a defensive player only) Xander is probably a year away and they wouldnt trade him for Hanrahan and they just signed Stephen Drew as the one year placeholder.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#7 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Was Hanrahan making a lot of money? This trade looks like nothing more than a salary dump. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get a solid prospect back for a closer that has been rock solid for the past 2 years.

Hanrahan has been rock solid for 3 years. He had a solid year setting up in 2010 with 100 Ks in 69.2 IP. I think they should have waited until late July to trade Hanrahan as his services could have commanded a better package of higher ranking prospects. They desperately need an upgrade at SS and already have Cutch in CF, Marte in LF and Snider, Tabata, Presley and G.Jones battling in out for RF

#8 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Sure, in hindsight- but no one thought reddick was much of anything at the time. Present value wise I think sands is worth more than present value of what Boston got at the time

Gronk if you're Horny

3rd Place

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy

#9 Lebowski87

Lebowski87

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

I didn't like the Hanrahan trade, just looked like a pure salary dump. They already have three barely useful outfielders with Tabata, Snider, and Presley, why add a fourth to the mix? It would be nice if they can trade one of those guys if another team could use them, like the Mets.

I think they should have just kept Hanrahan since they made a few moves to improve the club this year and just see how they stand at the deadline. THey could have gotten much more from him then, he's a top closer and even at 7M he will still be cheaper than what Soriano is asking for on the market.

Even though they signed to guys to decent sized deals, they didn't really up payroll too much when you consider money is off the books and they traded Hanrahan,

The team looks set now for the most part but they still need to add a reliever or two and I wouldn't mind seeing a trade of an extra outfielder and maybe search for 5th-6th starter types on minor league deals. I would bring back Karstens if he takes 3M or so and sign Mike Gonzalez.
10 Team PPR League- Two Time Champ
QB- Foles
RB- Ball, Gerhart
WR- D Thomas, Nelson
TE- Gronk
Flex- Roddy White
K- Dawson
DEF- Jets
Bench- Cutler, R Jennings, F Jax, Heath Miller, T Williams.

#10 W74

W74

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Red Sox acquired RHP Joel Hanrahan and INF Brock Holt from the Pirates for OF/1B Jerry Sands, RHPs Stolmy Pimentel and Mark Melancon and INF Ivan DeJesus, Jr.

Deal is now official.

I wonder if Melancon can reclaim the success he had with the Astros, if so then the deal isn't as bad as I first thought.

#11 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,886 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

I don't think it's a bad deal for either side. Sands has had nice success at AAA and it hasn't translated to success at the MLB level to this point. There are plenty of guys that profile that way that have broken out and become contributors. At the very least I can see him being half of a nice platoon.

Add to that the idea that Melancon could be a nice piece if he can get back to what he was doing in the NL Central and the deal has some potential for Pittsburgh.

#12 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,995 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

I could be wrong but sands had a .700+ ops in his big league career across 70 games. He wasn't great but this isn't Justin smoak we are talking about either. I like him a lot.

Melancon might make a nice sleeper in holds leagues in case grilli falters. Melancon was pretty good after those early hilarious meltdowns.

Gronk if you're Horny

3rd Place

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy

#13 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

Grilli is not a MLB closer. Shows what a joke of a franchise the Pirates are. Time toi just fold them up.

#14 mpbaseball22

mpbaseball22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Grilli is not a MLB closer. Shows what a joke of a franchise the Pirates are. Time toi just fold them up.

Heh, .5 game back of the division after taking 3 of 4 in Philadelphia.. now a huge couple games against the Cards and Brewers

16 Team Dynasty with Milb rosters (40 man mlb, 35 man milb) 15 start limit, points league
McCatchin Trout
C: Posey
1B: Lind
2B: Kipnis
3B: Harrison
SS: Asdrubal
IF: Lamb
OF: McCutchen, Trout, Castillo, Beltran
U: Gattis, Alvarez, Hardy
Bench: Moustakas, Dietrich, Sizemore, Ianetta, Lamb

SP: Zimmerman, McCarthy, Holland, Hutchison, M Gonzalez, Kazmir, Morton, Simon, Kennedy, Duffy, Feldman, Cashner, Wada, deGrom, Carrasco, Volquez
RP: Holland, Rosenthal, Melancon, Doolittle, Ramos, Cecil, Giles
Prospects (35 man rosters):
Bundy, Dahl, Schwarber, Carson Sands, Gillaspie, Medeiros, Luis Ortiz, Miguel A Gonzalez, Cameron Varga, Lorenzen, Lugo, Franmil Reyes, Chase Vallot, Adalberto Mejia, Mella, Heredia, Mike Montgomery, Joan Gregorio, Wendle, Jefry Rodriguez, Vaugh Bryan, Palka, Kevin Franklin, Juan De Leon, Willy Adames, Slegers, Hockin, Max George, Hentges, DeCarr, Tyler DeLoach, Josh Prevost, Amaurys Minier, Yu-Cheng Chang

#15 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

9 for 9 in save opp. without giving up an earned run yet. he went from not an mlb closer to a top 5 one this year, he had all the stuff to do it just needed Hanrahan out of the way
[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#16 BirdDog20

BirdDog20

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

On MLB tonight last night, they were throwing around trade ideas for Giancarlo Stanton. They mentioned 5 teams: Rockies, Mariners, Pirates, Orioles ... and i think Diamondbacks.

Idea for the Pirates was Cole or Taillon (pick 1), Starling Marte, Henson (or some other positional prospect).

What do you guys think? They considered Stanton a transformational franchise bat. Add him in there behind McCutcheon.
Team: Blind Squirrels
12 team keeper / auction / 5x5 (15 kept standard roto roster)
Week 6 lineup (5/5 - 5/11)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
C: Avilla Martin
1B: Rizzo
2B: Hill
SS: Tulo
3B: Moustakas
CI: Colabello
MI: B. Miller
OF:  Rios, Brown, Jackson, Byrd, Springer
U:  Smoak, Duda

P: Kershaw (dl), Chavez, Smyly, Richards, Salazar, Hutchison, Erlin, A.Reed, Perkins

BN:  Bogearts, Rosario (DL), Singleton (m), G.Polanco (m), Bauer (m)
DL:  Cobb, Paxton

#17 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

On MLB tonight last night, they were throwing around trade ideas for Giancarlo Stanton. They mentioned 5 teams: Rockies, Mariners, Pirates, Orioles ... and i think Diamondbacks.

Idea for the Pirates was Cole or Taillon (pick 1), Starling Marte, Henson (or some other positional prospect).

What do you guys think? They considered Stanton a transformational franchise bat. Add him in there behind McCutcheon.

i think you do that and you got yourself the best 3-4 combo in the league but Marte is going to be one hell of a player and they are losing a future ace in Cole if they decide to go that route. Not so sure if the Pirates are willing to do that
[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#18 BirdDog20

BirdDog20

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

It was Dan Plesac's suggestion. If I'm the Pirates, I would consider it provided Stanton's shoulder proves healthy.
Team: Blind Squirrels
12 team keeper / auction / 5x5 (15 kept standard roto roster)
Week 6 lineup (5/5 - 5/11)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
C: Avilla Martin
1B: Rizzo
2B: Hill
SS: Tulo
3B: Moustakas
CI: Colabello
MI: B. Miller
OF:  Rios, Brown, Jackson, Byrd, Springer
U:  Smoak, Duda

P: Kershaw (dl), Chavez, Smyly, Richards, Salazar, Hutchison, Erlin, A.Reed, Perkins

BN:  Bogearts, Rosario (DL), Singleton (m), G.Polanco (m), Bauer (m)
DL:  Cobb, Paxton

#19 mpbaseball22

mpbaseball22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Pirates would never do that.. ive never seen the Pirates make a big move like that ever, and I dont expect them to trade their top prospects for a position they are deepest at

16 Team Dynasty with Milb rosters (40 man mlb, 35 man milb) 15 start limit, points league
McCatchin Trout
C: Posey
1B: Lind
2B: Kipnis
3B: Harrison
SS: Asdrubal
IF: Lamb
OF: McCutchen, Trout, Castillo, Beltran
U: Gattis, Alvarez, Hardy
Bench: Moustakas, Dietrich, Sizemore, Ianetta, Lamb

SP: Zimmerman, McCarthy, Holland, Hutchison, M Gonzalez, Kazmir, Morton, Simon, Kennedy, Duffy, Feldman, Cashner, Wada, deGrom, Carrasco, Volquez
RP: Holland, Rosenthal, Melancon, Doolittle, Ramos, Cecil, Giles
Prospects (35 man rosters):
Bundy, Dahl, Schwarber, Carson Sands, Gillaspie, Medeiros, Luis Ortiz, Miguel A Gonzalez, Cameron Varga, Lorenzen, Lugo, Franmil Reyes, Chase Vallot, Adalberto Mejia, Mella, Heredia, Mike Montgomery, Joan Gregorio, Wendle, Jefry Rodriguez, Vaugh Bryan, Palka, Kevin Franklin, Juan De Leon, Willy Adames, Slegers, Hockin, Max George, Hentges, DeCarr, Tyler DeLoach, Josh Prevost, Amaurys Minier, Yu-Cheng Chang

#20 Rabbit Maranville

Rabbit Maranville

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I have an announcement to make:

The Pittsburgh Pirates have the best record in major league baseball.
7-team Dynasty H2H
------------------------------
C- Ossee Schreckengost
1B- Hee-Seop Choi
2B- Bo Hart
3B- Doug Strange
SS- Matt Stairs
OF- Quinton McCracken
OF- Nemo Leibold
OF- William Beane
UTIL- Kevin Young
BN- Tony Womack, Abner Dalrymple
SP- Luis Tiant, Dustin Nippert, Rick Ankiel, Charles Radbourn, Bea Arthur, Bob Walk
RP- Mike Fetters, The Hamburglar, Byung-Hyun Kim, Joe Table

DL- Mark Prior