Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Nick Swisher 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#1 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

$56 million 4 years, ouch....I would say $10 million max...but thoughts>?
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#2 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

As a Yankees fan, I have a few.....

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#3 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

In all seriousness, if this were 5 years ago, NY would have given the same contract at the same age...

He's a consistent 25HR hitter, can switch hit, and last year only one of his home runs was under 350.....however...he BLOWS in the playoffs....but since Cleveland is not expected to make the playoffs for the next 20 years, can we really say it's a bad deal for Cleveland to bring back a hometown boy?
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#4 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

what a country. what a game.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#5 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Really a crazy offseason for average players getting these great contracts, but for his fantasy value next year, I don't think he will be great. I think not playing in Yankee stadium for a contender will hurt him
No Days Off

#6 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Yes, overpayment considering his age. But this contract doesn't seem *that* bad.

Swisher has been a plus OBP guy for years, consistent power hitter, is durable, wasn't a product of Yankee stadium and can hit LHP. These are all things that the Tribe could use. And he still fits into the Indians philosophy that all lineup spots must be able to hit left-handed! They loved to have 9 LH bats every game and then the opposing team would simply counter mid-game with a LH reliever, lol. OK, now that Stubbs and Reynolds are around that gimmick may actually go away.

CLE seems to have a thing for guys that work the count, hit the occasional HR and whiff/walk a ton. Ex-Tribe Hafner, Choo, or current guys Santana, Reynolds, Stubbs etc. Swisher fits right into that framework.

Edited by cymbaline, 24 December 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#7 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

He's an above average player and very consistent year-to-year. ~4 WAR every year. Steady as she goes. Great signing for them

Edited by jsp2014, 24 December 2012 - 02:26 PM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#8 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

He's the classic 'feasts on bad pitching' hitter who never does anything in the big spot. I'd rather have the sandwich pick than potentially give him 70 million dollars.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

#9 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

He's the classic 'feasts on bad pitching' hitter who never does anything in the big spot. I'd rather have the sandwich pick than potentially give him 70 million dollars.

Yep which is why he is so bad in the playoffs, the guys who he does damage off of arent pitching in the playoffs. Backside rotation guys, long relievers on bad teams, meaningless spots...all spots where these types of guys excel.

That said, I like what Cleveland is doing. They had very little pop in their line up and although both of these guys are flawed, they have added two guys with pop in Reynolds and Swisher. I also like the upside of Stubbs and Bauer.

Only issue is that a lot of their power guys: Swisher, Reynolds and Santana along with Stubbs could be all low average guys.

They also picked up Bauer, a potential ace. Im not in love with these guys, but I appreciate the fact they are trying to do something and I think across the board have improved.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#10 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hmm, if this is true then Swisher might really thrive in CLE, at least for roto. Lots of meaningless games and facing tons of terrible pitching in that division.

Edited by cymbaline, 24 December 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#11 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Teams don't give up a pick anymore I don't think. And they didn't give him 70

Do you have facts to back up that assertion? Just curious.

#12 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...ear-deal-source

A source told ESPN that Swisher agreed to a four-year, $56 million contract that also includes a $14 million option for a fifth season that will "easily vest, making the potential total value of the contract $70 million.

The Indians will lose their second-round pick in next year's amateur draft as compensation for signing Swisher, and the Yankees will get an extra selection following the first round.

#13 Thespis721

Thespis721

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I like Swisher... but man.. paying him $17 mil a year is outrageous. Swisher gets hurt but I think he'll be able to pull together the cumulative ABs to get that extra $14.

That said, I think this actually COULD help his AVG, but take a hit in his power.
C: McCann
1B: Victor Martinez
2B: Dustin Ackley
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Alexei Ramirez
CI: Anthony Rendon
MI: Jed Lowrie
OF: Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Alex Gordon, De Aza
UT: Chase Headley
DL: Fowler, Lind
SP: Scherzer, Kazmir, Alex Wood, Lincecum, Gallardo

#14 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Cant believe we let go of Choo, because we "didnt have the money", just to get this bum. Granted i liked the trade that we got for Choo, but damn i dont like this signing.

#15 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Cant believe we let go of Choo, because we "didnt have the money", just to get this bum. Granted i liked the trade that we got for Choo, but damn i dont like this signing.

As a diehard Indians fan, Swisher is an upgrade from Choo...

to all the people saying Swisher is "average":

wOBA/wRC+ over last 3 seasons

Swisher (.367/129)
Zimmerman (.364/128)
Wright (.363/130)
Granderson (.362/126)
Choo (.362/131)
Teixeira (.360/123)
Gordon (.359/125)
J. Upton (.359/120)
Bruce (.355/120)

WAR amongst OF over the last 2 seasons

Swisher (7.7)
BJ Upton (7.5)
Adam Jones (7.5)
Corey Hart (7.0)
Hunter Pence (6.5)
Andre Ethier (6.3)

#16 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

http://espn.go.com/m...ear-deal-source

A source told ESPN that Swisher agreed to a four-year, $56 million contract that also includes a $14 million option for a fifth season that will "easily vest, making the potential total value of the contract $70 million.

The Indians will lose their second-round pick in next year's amateur draft as compensation for signing Swisher, and the Yankees will get an extra selection following the first round.

0 for 2 for me :)

I still think it's a good signing. He basically got the same deal as Edwin Jackson. Players who are solid at everything tend to get underrated.

#17 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Over paid for sure. But hey who in The MLB isn't over paid? Even at league min you're getting $400K to play the greatest game ever.

#18 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Over paid for sure. But hey who in The MLB isn't over paid? Even at league min you're getting $400K to play the greatest game ever.

Agreed.

#19 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

After watching so many Swisher ABs that ended in him looking foolish on a changeup, other teams and advanced scouts have to know this, right?

#20 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

After watching so many Swisher ABs that ended in him looking foolish on a changeup, other teams and advanced scouts have to know this, right?

I'd have to think the word on Swisher has been out for awhile now....