Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Who will be the 2013 versions of F. Rodney (CL from nowhere), M. Trout (breakout rookie), Lincecum (dud), etc. etc....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Didn't know how to title the topic.

Basically, this isn't a who will breakout in 2013 type of thread, but more of a who is going to do that type of thing again (if anyone) thread. A couple categories I thought of when i got the idea to make this (and I didn't see any other posts that were similar, but perhaps I overlooked something- in which case, please just merge and I apologize for any inconvenience)...

I'll give a category and a player who fit the mold for last year for the first few to give people an idea of what I'm getting at here.

Best Rookie Stash Draft Pick (2012, Trout):
[Mediocre] RP Most Likely to Be Abducted From Team Hotel By Aliens, Only to Return as a CL you probably can add off of waivers (2012, Fernando Rodney; Jim Johnson to a lesser extent):
Injury Dud: (2012, Troy Tulowitzki?)
Due For a Sophomore Slump (the Eric Hosmer award):
Import player most likely to make a fantasy impact (2012, Yoenis Cespedes):
Most overvalued pitcher (2012, Matt Moore?....):
Most overvalued position player: (don't even know who to choose for 2012 besides maybe Tulowitzki but that's also due to injury too- so maybe Hanley?):
Most likely to have a power surge (2012, Edwin Encarnacion?):

There's other things one could use for categories, but I could just keep listing things forever really. The idea of this thread is to give owners a discussion as to which players could be the 2013 versions of the aforementioned names. While it's impossible to read into the future with the freak fantasy breakouts, it would be fun to look at this thread next Oct. and see if anyone can nail anything that isn't so predictable. Some of these things are easier to see (i.e. rookie stash would probably be a guy like Myers, maybe Dylan Bundy if you're feeling ballsy and think he'll make it up by May).... but other things are harder to predict, like a Rodney or Jim Johnson rising to the top echelon of fantasy closers.
let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Closer bounceback: Broxton - always liked his upside, but something happened in LA with Mattingly, Torre, etc and he was lost. Guy has good K upside, if he is cheap backside of draft I would love to have him. Also good with Jason Grilli as well.

Disappointing or Sophomore Slump? Im going for disappointment for a lot of "sleeper" picks that I think is going to end up being overvalued, especially in 2b-ss-ci roto leagues of any size: Josh Rutledge - he had 5 of his 8HR in a 6-game stretch then proceeded to go 2 HR for like 2 months, this despite the meaningless ABS of late August through September.

Best Rookie (Stash) especially if he doesnt have clear job, I would go with Jedd Gyorko, especially with Pads keeping Headley I think he will be a nice grab at second base. Runner up: Nolan Arenado - this guy has clear pathway to a job with nice upside. Could be this years Pedro Alvarez.

Expected regression: Edwin Encarnacion and RA Dickey
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Rookie Stash - Myers is the obvious answer, but I'll go a little deeper and say Danny Hultzen. Safeco is always helpful to pitchers, and Hultzen has solid talent. Also considered - Travis d'Arnaud, Jose Fernandez, Gerrit Cole, Oscar Taveras, Darin Ruf.

Surprise closer - Greg Holland. Not sure if he counts, but I'm very high on him. Has a solid K potential and the Royals actually should be decent this year and produce save opps. Also considered - Kyuji Fujikawa, Glen Perkins, Broxton.

Sophmore Slump - Josh Reddick. He really fell apart after a hot start to the year. I can see that downward momentum carrying over to the start of this year. Also considered - Wade Miley, Mike Fiers, Manny Machado

Injury Dud - This is difficult to predict, but I have a bad feeling about Sale this year. People keep saying he's an injury risk waiting to happen. Also considered - Tulo, Rollins, Posey, Morneau.

Import player - Hyu-Jin Ryu. I don't know much about him, but he was highly coveted and is slotted into a rotation spot on a decent Dodgers team. Also considered - Fujikawa, Hiroyuki Nakajima.

Most overvalued pitcher - Kris Medlen. I do think he will be good, but the hype train will likely cause him to be overdrafted as people will be expecting a repeat of his second half from last year. Also considered - Aroldis Chapman, Michael Pineda

Most overvalued hitter - Yadier Molina. He's set to be drafted as the number 2 or 3 catcher. Last year seems like a fluke to me. He plays great defense, but has really only ever produced average. Don't see him being able to have the stats to back up his draft posititon. Also considered - Shane Victorino, Hanley Ramirez, Adam Jones

Power Surge - Allen Craig. Everything seems right for him. His power potential is huge, finally has a starting job, and is also healthy. If he stays healthy, he could be similar to Encarnacion's 2012. Also considered - Wilin Rosario, Chris Davis, Bryce Harper
Bring back Ray!

#4 phoenixbases

phoenixbases

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Rookie Stash - Myers is the obvious answer, but I'll go a little deeper and say Danny Hultzen. Safeco is always helpful to pitchers, and Hultzen has solid talent. Also considered - Travis d'Arnaud, Jose Fernandez, Gerrit Cole, Oscar Taveras, Darin Ruf.

Surprise closer - Greg Holland. Not sure if he counts, but I'm very high on him. Has a solid K potential and the Royals actually should be decent this year and produce save opps. Also considered - Kyuji Fujikawa, Glen Perkins, Broxton.

Sophmore Slump - Josh Reddick. He really fell apart after a hot start to the year. I can see that downward momentum carrying over to the start of this year. Also considered - Wade Miley, Mike Fiers, Manny Machado

Injury Dud - This is difficult to predict, but I have a bad feeling about Sale this year. People keep saying he's an injury risk waiting to happen. Also considered - Tulo, Rollins, Posey, Morneau.

Import player - Hyu-Jin Ryu. I don't know much about him, but he was highly coveted and is slotted into a rotation spot on a decent Dodgers team. Also considered - Fujikawa, Hiroyuki Nakajima.

Most overvalued pitcher - Kris Medlen. I do think he will be good, but the hype train will likely cause him to be overdrafted as people will be expecting a repeat of his second half from last year. Also considered - Aroldis Chapman, Michael Pineda

Most overvalued hitter - Yadier Molina. He's set to be drafted as the number 2 or 3 catcher. Last year seems like a fluke to me. He plays great defense, but has really only ever produced average. Don't see him being able to have the stats to back up his draft posititon. Also considered - Shane Victorino, Hanley Ramirez, Adam Jones

Power Surge - Allen Craig. Everything seems right for him. His power potential is huge, finally has a starting job, and is also healthy. If he stays healthy, he could be similar to Encarnacion's 2012. Also considered - Wilin Rosario, Chris Davis, Bryce Harper

Really good post imo.

#5 motown magic

motown magic

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Did you hear they have moved in the fences at Safeco? Its suppose to be hitter friendly now . Does that change your opinion of Hultzen ?

#6 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Did you hear they have moved in the fences at Safeco? Its suppose to be hitter friendly now . Does that change your opinion of Hultzen ?

I've heard that, but I've never heard how far. Do you know how far they moved them? Either way, Safeco was pretty big to begin with, they probably just made it normal sized.
Bring back Ray!

#7 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

Great list, I agree with a lot of this. Medlen and Molina especially.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#8 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Here is a link to the changes at safeco but looks like the lines remain the same. The big change appears to be left center in which the fences were brought in 12 feet. That could be fairly significant but it wouldn't change my draft strategy.

http://blog.seattlep...afecofences.jpg

#9 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

I agree with almost all of this. Exceptions being:

Pineda- I just don't think he will be overvalued unless he's cracking a rotation- at least maybe not in my league. If he's out well into May and/or beyond, he is not worth more than a $1 pick or $3.
Chapman- I do agree the hype will be unreal, and I won't pay for him unless he falls into my hands even if he looks like he'd be fun as hell to own- but I am a believer that unless he gets hurt, he will probably K 220 in his sleep and that value alone makes him worth the gamble in ways similar to Darvish was last year... he's just going to be so expensive.

--

Undervalued MI: Scutaro
Overvalued MI: Rutledge

Just wanted to post that. I really don't like Rutledge going into this year either. I recall dropping him right before his 5 HR power barrage last season (and I was a Tulo owner, but I opted to go with Alexei and Plouffe in favor of Rutledge, who I picked up on a random whim one day only to drop him pretty shortly thereafter- he did nothing for my stats in the time on my roster an then went nuts once released).... let's just say once his spree ended, I felt less stupid for cutting him for no reason.

I also agree Molina will be overvalued- BUT- if you want a C who you can count on, he's as good as anyone for the AB and playing time without needing to carry a backup/spot starter who plays consistently. Molina is anywhere from #2-#5 or maybe even #6 for me. C is very deep this year, and outside of Posey, the top 5-10 are all nice choices. Molina, to me, is overvalued because I like to wait on my C. I was able to use Ellis and Jaso last as a pair last year (OBP league, mind you), and I didn't even draft them- I drafted J.P. Arencibia (who I would drop and pick up over and over and over last year, as he became healthy/re-injured/streaked/etc.), Geovany Soto (accidentally bid on him- but I dealt him for Markakis right after the draft somehow, who I would pair w/ Middlebrooks RIGHT before he went down in return for Choo later in the year, which = a win for me I think!), and Jesus Montero (even once he was C eligible, he sucked and I eventually cut him... couldn't deal with his inconsistencies). In the end it was basically Ellis and Jaso anchoring my C staff in 1st. JP would start occasionally when I had him around.

Which brings me to another one- Arencibia...

He's obviously locked into the C role, unless Napoli floats into their hands or something weird happens, right? I mean... there is no Travis d'Anaurd to take over midseason now. Thole is not a starter- and shouldn't see much more time than Mathis did last year (I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jays add another backup, honestly).

Looking at his last year, with the injury... he still had 18 HR in under 350 AB. That is impressive power and he possesses it, no doubt. If you can live with a AVG/OBP catcher who will slug HR, he is definitely worth $1-$5 (I got him for $4 in an auction last year, and frankly, I think he might be cheaper this year- then again, you never know given the Jays' new lineup.) He is also very streaky- one of the streakiest and it comes with power barrages- so if you can guess right, it can pay dividends. I recall adding him simply because he had a nice 4 game stretch he was due to start, and I needed one C for the day. Wound up using him 4 days in a row and he put up big numbers, this being in July.

Two months in fact were very solid-
May: 90 AB, 8 HR, 19 RBI, .275 BA, .890 OPS
July: 53 AB, 6 HR, 13 RBI, .321 BA, 1.081 OPS

That is when he broke his hand. Came back and was not the same player, really. 2 HR after that point with an BA below the mendoza line to close the year out. This being said, what if he didn't get hurt? How long would he have continued to hit?

The interesting stat here is with RISP: Arencibia hit .295 (vs. what, .233 on the year?), driving in 44 runs and had 8 HR, all to the tune of a .654 SLG%.
Those are gaudy numbers with runners on base. And think about where he will be batting (somewhere from 6-8, my guess is 7 personally) and the players on front of him who should be getting on base....
Even as top-heavy as that order is- the top 4 or 5 the best in the MLB, perhaps- Arencibia should be able to clean up quietly in the back of that lineup and knock in some runs for sure, even if he doesn't hit for average at all and his OBP is Miguel Olivo bad.

He's worth a look.... more than people will realize. I always like to try to get him super cheap and stash him to see if he can get off to a red hot start. I often think in the case of catchers, getting off to a hot start helps a ton. See guys like Avila, Soto, etc. in the past. A hot start leads to more playing time, and the playing time leads to consistency. The best catchers caught (and catch) a lot of innings for a reason when they have their biggest seasons...

More I'd have liked to type on J.P. Arencibia, but thinking about it got me to thinking how he could be a bargain given his penchant for coming up with the big hit last year (if you aren't a Jays fan or didn't own him, you wouldn't be able to guess without looking at the splits- I wouldn't have known had I not owned him last season- but he did come up big with a lot of RBIs from the bottom of that order).

#10 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

I agree with almost all of this. Exceptions being:

Pineda- I just don't think he will be overvalued unless he's cracking a rotation- at least maybe not in my league. If he's out well into May and/or beyond, he is not worth more than a $1 pick or $3.
Chapman- I do agree the hype will be unreal, and I won't pay for him unless he falls into my hands even if he looks like he'd be fun as hell to own- but I am a believer that unless he gets hurt, he will probably K 220 in his sleep and that value alone makes him worth the gamble in ways similar to Darvish was last year... he's just going to be so expensive.

I just don't trust Pineda in Yankee Stadium. I don't see him being very successful.

Also, the hype for Chapman is going to be huge. It's the same thing with Medlen to me. I do think both will be great this year, but will not follow up on the lofty stats that everyone will be expecting them to produce. They are both solid number 2 pitchers that will be drafted with the aces.
Bring back Ray!

#11 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Rookie Stash- Travis D'Arnoud is going to be one hell of a catcher for the Mets. Trust me, john Buck wont last long and D'Arnoud really has nothing else to accomplish in the minor leagues and may even make the team out of spring. With some protection in that lineup, i can see D'Arnoud ending as a top 15 catcher by the end of the season

Surprise Closer- Addison Reed was just made to be a closer. He feautures a devastating fastball and 2 other plus pitches. The White Sox will give him plenty of opportunities and i can see him racking in 35-40 saves by years end.

Sophomore Slump- I agree with Baltimore

Injury dud- Dustin Pedrioia. just dont think he can stay healthy throughout the season and even when he does come back i think hell produce sub par numbers. He is defiantly on the decline since his MVP season

Most Overvalued Pitcher- Zach Greinke. People will think hell get plenty of run support from the Angels which he will but Milwaukee park was his home and now hes away from there and i dont think he adjusts to the stadium very well in the first year. The k's will be there but i think the ERA will be high 3's or low 4's

Most Overvalued hitter-Brian Mccann- Catchers are thin this year and people will defiantly reach for him and i see him producing like he did last year

Power Surge-Ike davis, started out the year horribly and still ended up with 32 homeruns on the year. i can see that number moving up to the mid to late 40's this year as i dont think hell go through his struggles this year because remember he did have the nile virus as well

Edited by NyMetsfan5, 25 December 2012 - 12:52 PM.

[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#12 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Ummmmm...if Greinke gets run support, it won't be from the Angels. :/
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#13 sportsfreak2744

sportsfreak2744

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Rookie Stash - Oscar Taveras
Surprise closer - Kelvin Herrera. Best relief pitcher no one talks about. He can hit 100mph with regularity but his best pitch is his 87mph changeup with movement. He's better than Greg Holland.
Sophmore Slump - Mike Trout. He's a phenom but he's human. The league will have a chance to adjust somewhat. No player is a sure thing.
Injury Dud - No point in speculating but name a pitcher and you've got a good chance of being right.
Import player - Hyu-Jin Ryu. Don't see him as a star but he should be effective.
Most overvalued pitcher - Wade Miley. I'm not a believer.
Most overvalued hitter - Allen Craig. No steals. Has a history of injury problems. And just because he hit 22 HR in 119 games doesn't mean he will be just as good in those other games.
Power Surge - Cameron Maybin. He changed his batting stance from a high leg kick to a leg twist and he had much better numbers in the second half. He also was among the leaders in average home run distance last year and he hit the 3rd longest homerun in baseball last year. He came up as a prospect that some scouts said could hit 30 bombs one day. I don't see that anymore, but 15 is a fair bet.

#14 mpbaseball22

mpbaseball22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

This is all great stuff guys. I appreciate it

16 Team Dynasty with Milb rosters (40 man mlb, 35 man milb) 15 start limit, points league
McCatchin Trout
C: Posey
1B: Lind
2B: Kipnis
3B: Harrison
SS: Asdrubal
IF: Lamb
OF: McCutchen, Trout, Castillo, Beltran
U: Gattis, Alvarez, Hardy
Bench: Moustakas, Dietrich, Sizemore, Ianetta, Lamb

SP: Zimmerman, McCarthy, Holland, Hutchison, M Gonzalez, Kazmir, Morton, Simon, Kennedy, Duffy, Feldman, Cashner, Wada, deGrom, Carrasco, Volquez
RP: Holland, Rosenthal, Melancon, Doolittle, Ramos, Cecil, Giles
Prospects (35 man rosters):
Bundy, Dahl, Schwarber, Carson Sands, Gillaspie, Medeiros, Luis Ortiz, Miguel A Gonzalez, Cameron Varga, Lorenzen, Lugo, Franmil Reyes, Chase Vallot, Adalberto Mejia, Mella, Heredia, Mike Montgomery, Joan Gregorio, Wendle, Jefry Rodriguez, Vaugh Bryan, Palka, Kevin Franklin, Juan De Leon, Willy Adames, Slegers, Hockin, Max George, Hentges, DeCarr, Tyler DeLoach, Josh Prevost, Amaurys Minier, Yu-Cheng Chang

#15 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Rookie Stash - Oscar Taveras
Surprise closer - Kelvin Herrera. Best relief pitcher no one talks about. He can hit 100mph with regularity but his best pitch is his 87mph changeup with movement. He's better than Greg Holland.
Most overvalued hitter - Allen Craig. No steals. Has a history of injury problems. And just because he hit 22 HR in 119 games doesn't mean he will be just as good in those other games.
Power Surge - Cameron Maybin. He changed his batting stance from a high leg kick to a leg twist and he had much better numbers in the second half. He also was among the leaders in average home run distance last year and he hit the 3rd longest homerun in baseball last year. He came up as a prospect that some scouts said could hit 30 bombs one day. I don't see that anymore, but 15 is a fair bet.

I like these a lot.

I also don't think Addison Reed does too great this year, personally. I could see him falling into a Walden-like trap honestly.