Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Starlin Castro 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
446 replies to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,967 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

The Cubs SS will turn 23 right before the 2013 season starts. He already has 445 games played in the bigs and carries a .297 career batting average.

He had a slight regression in terms of BA / OPS (from 2011 - 2012) but showed very nice improvement in the power department. Which will be key as he will be hitting in the heart of that Cubs lineup.

Castro showed a 40% increase in HRs and increased his XBH rate from 26.57% in 2011 to 30.10% in 2012.

Coming off back to back seasons with 22+ SBs, he looks to be a lock for 22+ steals again this year. As in 2012 Castro stole 3 more bases despite hitting 4 more HRs, 3 more 3Bs, and dropping 18 in his OBP.

Not that I'm banking on it but I don't think a .300 20 HR 30 SB season is out of question for the youngster.

#2 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I like Starlin a lot. But so do a lot of other people. In the few mock drafts I've done I have seen him go anywhere from 23 - 38. I really couldn't pull the trigger in the top 25. Now mid 30s or so I'd be satisfied with the pick.

#3 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Anyone worried about how his steals productions slipped so much last season? He started off in the league leaders and then disappeared completely

#4 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,952 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Anyone worried about how his steals productions slipped so much last season? He started off in the league leaders and then disappeared completely

Im worried about that and his inability to take a walk. Hes a really detriment in leagues that count OBP or OPS.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#5 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Im worried about that and his inability to take a walk. Hes a really detriment in leagues that count OBP or OPS.

Something that may help ease that concern some is Castro more than doubled his walk rate Post All-Star Break.

#6 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

Something that may help ease that concern some is Castro more than doubled his walk rate Post All-Star Break.

12 walks over his first 85 games and 24 walks over his last 77 games.

#7 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,952 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

12 walks over his first 85 games and 24 walks over his last 77 games.

One walk every 3+ games doesnt calm my nerves much. Its an improvement over the first 85 games for sure, but assuming 4AB per game, its still only a 7% walk rate which still rates him as below average, average being defined as 8.5%. That and the fact that his overall walk rate has still regressed from his rookie year (5.7% in rookie year, 4.9% in 2011, 5.2% last year), something youd anticipate being the opposite.

#8 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

ill be targeting him as my shortstop for sure in most drafts. I expect his average to be around the 310-315 range and i expect a little bit of a power surge from him as ive seen signs of it. Love the way the guy plays, if only he could stay focused and cut down the errors a bit. Ill be buying for sure especially because shortstop isnt the deepest position
[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#9 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

I don't worry as much about the walks, simply b/c he's shown skills to maintain a fine average inspite of his hacker approach... the SBs are my concern. To get him, you gotta invest high, and i would need the get steals back as part of my return ... i remember he was brutal for h2h category leagues in the middle of the year, he went like a 2 month stretch with hardly any steals.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#10 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

I don't worry as much about the walks, simply b/c he's shown skills to maintain a fine average inspite of his hacker approach... the SBs are my concern. To get him, you gotta invest high, and i would need the get steals back as part of my return ... i remember he was brutal for h2h category leagues in the middle of the year, he went like a 2 month stretch with hardly any steals.

Well that's because he was getting caught. He had 5 SB attempts in June, but got caught 4 times. After that, he was not stealing much until august. He came back good to end the year. That could be problem again this year. That and he was slumping at the plate in July..

But for Roto, by years end is should be good for 20 SBs and I expect his Power to keep climbing...

This could be his first 20/20 year coming up with a little over 80 RBI's, 55-60 XBH's is what i'm thinking... Hovering around a .300 BA...

Assuming progression with his power of course. I do not expect him to increase the walk rate. As he will still be a hacker...

As for OPS and OBP leagues. OBP will stay where is was in the lower .300s with hopefully a slight uptick in the slugging...

#11 SoundMaster

SoundMaster

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

I like Castro the ML player, but since I tend to play only in leagues that count BB and/or OBP, I've not owned him ever. I've not done all the necessary research yet, but I can see myself leaning towards Zobrist (who's highly valuable in such leagues) or even as Asdrubal Cabrera.

#12 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

His SB total is why I am dropping him a bit. But will still have him after Tulo, Hanley, and Reyes. Don't see aother SS I can put ahead of him after those 3.

#13 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

His SB total is why I am dropping him a bit. But will still have him after Tulo, Hanley, and Reyes. Don't see aother SS I can put ahead of him after those 3.

In a standard 5x5? Over Zobrist? Since he would be higher BA and more SBs. Hard to project RBI difference and Zobrist will be favored in Home runs. If for nothing, because he has a higher HR Floor... That and Zobrists OBP could likely get him more runs score again..

The Kicker is Zobrist will be able to play both SS and 2B.. At least point, I may prefer Zobrist because he has a higher overall floor and his Flexibility to your lineup. Castro would be it if your favoring Upside over Floor..

In an OBP league, its Zobrist and its not even a question..

Of course the Beauty is you can have both if you really want..

#14 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yea I play 5x5 roto. I like the upside of Castro over Zobrist. They are even to me already.

#15 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,952 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

5x5 Id be a big fan and would target him in leagues of that format. The issue with him becomes if you play in leagues that count more stats (7x7 etc), like I alluded to BB (some leagues count it),OBP, OPS, or even net steals (I play in a league with that stat). Clearly hes not helping in any league with OBP (not killing you either) and while his OPS wont kill you from SS for a guy with his power and average its dragged down considerably by that OBP. Net steals become an even bigger issue (last year) but I would anticipate that he should become more refined on the base paths and his SB% should go up. If it stays where its at (66% last year, 71% in 2011) he is right on the verge of not being a positive asset when it comes to running and as such unless he can convert more SB, he will likely be granted the ability to run less. Like I said though, Im optimistic that this is one area with some coaching he can improve, the walk issue not so much as a lot of guys arent able to come around on that.

#16 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Yea I play 5x5 roto. I like the upside of Castro over Zobrist. They are even to me already.

Most people are with you on that. Which is why Castro's price tag will be much higher than the quietly productive Ben Zobrist.

#17 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

all this analysis on castro is great, as there's many reasons not to like what we see... however, it does seem like there's a lack of burgeoning hitters who could become all out studs. Castro is one of the few. The idea he could get to 20 HR, 80 RBI, 30 SB, 90 runs, .300 from the SS position is huge. he can be a difference maker for fantasy teams.

If you think you can reach for him at what will likely be a pricey ADP and still build a solid lineup around him and stay active on the wire (like most of us will) the risk is very much worth it.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#18 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,860 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

all this analysis on castro is great, as there's many reasons not to like what we see... however, it does seem like there's a lack of burgeoning hitters who could become all out studs. Castro is one of the few. The idea he could get to 20 HR, 80 RBI, 30 SB, 90 runs, .300 from the SS position is huge. he can be a difference maker for fantasy teams.

If you think you can reach for him at what will likely be a pricey ADP and still build a solid lineup around him and stay active on the wire (like most of us will) the risk is very much worth it.

I agree that his potential is huge, but for some reason I just get the feeling that he will be one of those players that doesn't get there. I think he will be a good fantasy SS this year, but I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt improve much on last year.
No Days Off

#19 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

I agree that his potential is huge, but for some reason I just get the feeling that he will be one of those players that doesn't get there. I think he will be a good fantasy SS this year, but I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt improve much on last year.

Or he could be The New Hanley Ramirez?

#20 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,860 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Or he could be The New Hanley Ramirez?

Castro has gotten benched each of the past two years by two different managers, one time for not paying attention and another time for careless errors, so yes, that does remind me of Hanley.
No Days Off