Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

* * * * - 1 votes

Carlos Gonzalez 2013 OutlookAlready elite OF turned 27...

• Please log in to reply
913 replies to this topic

#1 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

There's a lot to like about Carlos Gonzalez going into 2013.  He has been a beast his entire career and will be 27 this year.  Still hitting at Coors.

But I'm cautious of using a top 5 pick on CarGo for a few reasons.  He has never played more than 145 games at the big league level.  In 2011 he played only 125 games and last year in 2012 he only played 135 games.

He gets a lot of nicks and bruises that he can't play through throughout the season.

But the upside this guy brings is just about as much as anyone else in the game.  He does everything, hits for average, hits for power, steals bases, brings good run production.  He hits in the middle of the order of a very good lineup (1 -5) in a great hitters park.

#2 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

my favorite player in the game. he's just an awesome hitter. honestly, i hope he learns to dog it more in the OF. take it easy out there, carlos. don't go diving around anymore. the reward isn't worth the risk.

Edited by LyondellBasell, 25 December 2012 - 10:15 PM.

12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Mesoraco
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Encarnacion
CI/ Belt
2B/ J Lowrie
SS/ Everth
MI/ Hardy
4 OF/ Rios, Bautista, Cespedes, Leonys
Utl/ Dunn
SP/ Felix, Sale, Teheran, Bailey, Lohse
Eovaldi, Peralta, M Perez
RP/ Ross, Richards, Hawkins
BN/ Sandoval, BJ Upton
DL/Latos

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#3 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

I have him in my keeper league so he is a no brainer to keep. But it would be hard for me to take this guy since he is so injury prone in a new season draft. Main reason is you have to take him in the first round and I will find others without the risk to take that high over him. If he ever fell to the late 2nd or early 3rd of course I take him. But so many other guys in the first that are just as good and without his injury risk.

#4 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

I feel like he's a late first maybe even early 2nd rounder. Just take make a more conservative pick to go along with him.  Starting your team off with Cargo and Beltre/Wright seems like a good late pick strategy.
-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

Football 2012: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: CHAMPION!!!!!
Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#5 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,079 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

View Postbrockpapersizer, on 26 December 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

I feel like he's a late first maybe even early 2nd rounder. Just take make a more conservative pick to go along with him.  Starting your team off with Cargo and Beltre/Wright seems like a good late pick strategy.

I haven't seen CarGo fall further than pick 7 in the four mock drafts I've done.  He went 7th twice, 5, and 6.

#6 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

View PostFouLLine, on 26 December 2012 - 01:45 AM, said:

View Postbrockpapersizer, on 26 December 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

I haven't seen CarGo fall further than pick 7 in the four mock drafts I've done.  He went 7th twice, 5, and 6.

thats interesting.  Im probably going Trout, Pujols, Miggy Braun, Mccutchen, Cano, and Votto over him for sure. Puts him at 8th at best for me.

Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#7 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

I would probably go Tulo over him also if I am willing to take the injury risk.

#8 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

Off the top of my head I would take all these over him(No order): Cabrera, Pujols, Votto, Cano, Tulo, Trout, Braun, Kemp, McCutchen.

#9 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

I forgot Kemp on mine, easily makes him 9 for me and a great opp to get him with one of the 3rd basemen I mentioned.  If one of my top 8 slip even further down, I'm even happier.

#10 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

View Postbrockpapersizer, on 26 December 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

I forgot Kemp on mine, easily makes him 9 for me and a great opp to get him with one of the 3rd basemen I mentioned.  If one of my top 8 slip even further down, I'm even happier.
Just did a mockdraft yesterday... He went 5th.  I'm with you though 5 is a bit pricey... I have him ranked 8th right before McCutchen.

#11 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

He was getting picked 10-14 last year and got hurt AGAIN. I guess there is more attrition at the top than I realized
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#12 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,494 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Cargo is one of my favorite players. He's a box score stuffer. He'll get you homers, rbi's, steals, and solid average. While he has been injured often, he's worth the risk to me. He can give you top production when healthy.
Bring back Ray!

RotoJunction.com

#13 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 26 December 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

Cargo is one of my favorite players. He's a box score stuffer. He'll get you homers, rbi's, steals, and solid average. While he has been injured often, he's worth the risk to me. He can give you top production when healthy.
If CarGo plays 160 games he should easily warrant a top 6 pick... If he only plays his usual 135 - 140 you may be left shaking your head.

#14 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Tulo being hurt last year more than likely hurt his numbers as well. Definitely a really attractive fantasy option that everyone drools over. The stolen bases will eventually go down but if he stays in Colorado he is one of the top hitters to own in yearly leagues and keeper leagues.

#15 Izanagi

Izanagi

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

View PostDodger Blue 88, on 26 December 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

Off the top of my head I would take all these over him(No order): Cabrera, Pujols, Votto, Cano, Tulo, Trout, Braun, Kemp, McCutchen.

This

I like cargo a lot but i'm wary
Still on on NFL boycott (6/28/13)

Saints,Pelicans,Sharks and Nationals Fan

#16 Thespis721

Thespis721

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

I don't think value is the real thought process when thinking about Cargo.  Nobody thinks about value when they are thinking about Cano.  If Cargo had a bad year and ended up going in the third round, then he could be a fantastic value choice.  As of now, he's a 1st rounder, and with that in mind, you have to think who on the board is the best to pick to maintain the value of a 1st round.  I agree that top 5 is way too pricy for a guy who is probably going to play 125-135 games and you never know where his AVG might land.

Personally, I love Cargo but I think a lot of that is sentimentality.  He helped me get into playoffs years back when he was more unknown.  Cargo isn't going to stop running full speed into OF walls anytime soon and you also need to wonder how all that impact is affecting his body long term.  It depends who's around in the 1st round, but I am probably steering clear just because I always like to keep my 1st round pick for a player that isn't an injury risk or I think will break the injury pattern.  That's why Tulo and Cargo are off my risk.

After writing that statement, I wonder if I'll be picking any Rockies players this year.  They seem to get hurt....

#17 imnottheonly

imnottheonly

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

I like Cargo at the turn in a 12 team league... I think that is right where he should fall his 2nd half last year was a disaster. Tulo returning should help as will the development of Wilin Rosario. Rockies are a team in transition but Cargo is a late first early 2nd talent for sure.
6x6 H2H 12 Team Dynasty- 5th year

C- Brian McCann
1B- Eric Hosmer
2B- Anthony Rendon
SS- Jurickson Profar(DL), Asdrubal Cabrera
3B- Miguel Cabrera, Nolan Arenado, Chris Johnson
OF- Cargo, Alex Gordon, Jason Heyward, Michael Brantley, Oswaldo Arcia (DL),

SP- Cole Hamels (DL), Yordano Ventura, Jordan Zimmerman, Homer Bailey, Tony Cingrani, Zack Wheeler, Alex Wood, , Aj Griffin (DL), Derek Holland (DL),
RP- Sergio Romo, Kenley Jansen, Casey Jannsen, Jose Valverde, Cody Allen

Farm Team- Carson Kelly, Maikel Franco, Jake Marisnick,  Michael Choice, Matt Wisler, Lucas Sims, James Paxton, Kevin Gausman, Raimel Tapia, Franklin Barretto, Nick Williams, J.P. Crawford, Jesse Winker

#18 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

View Postimnottheonly, on 27 December 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

I like Cargo at the turn in a 12 team league... I think that is right where he should fall his 2nd half last year was a disaster. Tulo returning should help as will the development of Wilin Rosario. Rockies are a team in transition but Cargo is a late first early 2nd talent for sure.

Unlikely he'll last to pick 12.  You'd be lucky to get him at 10.  In almost all of the serious mock drafts I've done he's gone 5 - 8 and closer to the 5 side.

#19 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

I'm picking late and would feel grateful to get him with the #11 pick. You'll be sitting pretty with him and another top pick at the turn.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#20 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

after last season I am avoiding him. which means he will probably do good. he was too inconsistent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users