Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Prince Fielder 2013 OutlookMay be a 2nd rounder?

• Please log in to reply
434 replies to this topic

#1 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

So I've done a few mock drafts (serious ones) now and Prince has gone either 12 or later in all of them.  He went 12, 17, and 24.  The time he went 24 I wanted to take him but passed on him to see where far he would actually go and he went 5 picks later.

It just seems wrong with Prince going as late as 19 with what he has been in the past.  But I can understand the dip in ADP.

As he had his lowest HR total last year in 2012 with 30 since his rookie season in 2006 (28 HRs).  

He had his lowest total of BBs in 2012 with 85 since 2008 when he walked 84 times.

Prince had his lowest total of Runs in 2012 with 83 since his rookie season back in 2006 of 82 runs scored.

But on the plus side Prince had a career best in batting average last year at .313 (.287 career) and a career best in K% at 12.2% (17.6% career).

To me there's a few things that explain this.  First and foremost Comerica Park. It's big and spacious there hard to hit them out.  Secondly I feel Prince knowing he was coming to more of a pitchers park has reworked his game a bit going for more of a singles approach.

#2 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,390 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

I like him. he's pretty safe and kinda boring.

He's gonna be 29 in May. 29 in dog years = 203. 29 in huge fat guy years = I don't know what. It's probly way too crazy early to be looking for signs he's falling to the downside of his career, but i can't help but worry a little bit that at some point soon he'll have to majorly adjust his approach both at the plate and off the field. I debate how a guy so big can keep up what he's doing the way he's doing it. But at the same time, he's such a natural hitter. He can hit any pitch to any field.
12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Encarnacion
CI/ Singleton
2B/ Gyorko
SS/
Simmons
MI/ Wong
4 OF/ Aoki, Bautista, Cespedes, Rajai
Utl/ Heyward
SP/ Felix, Teheran, Sale,
Archer, Latos, Tillman
RP/ Ross, Richards
, Stroman, Carrasco
BN/ Rios, Reynolds, Teixiera
DL/ Everth

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#3 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,668 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

View PostLyondellBasell, on 25 December 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

I like him. he's pretty safe and kinda boring.

He's gonna be 29 in May. 29 in dog years = 203. 29 in huge fat guy years = I don't know what. It's probly way too crazy early to be looking for signs he's falling to the downside of his career, but i can't help but worry a little bit that at some point soon he'll have to majorly adjust his approach both at the plate and off the field. I debate how a guy so big can keep up what he's doing the way he's doing it. But at the same time, he's such a natural hitter. He can hit any pitch to any field.

Prince isn't falling on the down side of his career.  He's smack dap in the middle of his prime and still trending upwards.

#4 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

I will still have him ranked as my 3rd overall 1b.

#5 shypri

shypri

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

After he adjusted to the new league he had a tremendous 2nd half. 260 atbats 15 hr .331 avg 1.006 ops post allstarbreak. I would still take Pujols and Votto slightly ahead of him but the gap between these 3 is very small.
10 team league (includes OPS and BB for hitters, K/BB and QS for pitchers)

C : Santana
1B: Freeman
2B: Carpenter
3B: Miggy
SS: Peralta
IF: LaRoche
LF: Choo
CF: Puig
RF: Heyward
OF: Stanton
UTI: Crisp
UTI:Aramis

SP: Verlander, Cobb, Lester, Fister, Kennedy, TyRoss, Stroman, Miley, Odorizzi
RP:  Rosenthal, Robertson, Doolittle, Allen

#6 Wavier JunKie

Wavier JunKie

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

He will kill it this year because its an odd year and he will have some protection with V Mart.  This guy is great on even years and outstanding on odd years.  I don't buy into the every other year crap except with him and Beckett.  Due to chicken wings and beer Becketts run could be over though.

http://espn.go.com/m.../prince-fielder

#7 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

He came on strong in the 2nd half and I would assume that means he became more comfortable in the AL and with his new team. I'm not sure what his monthly trends were, but his fly ball % was the lowest of his career BY FAR (excluding his "cup of coffee" in the 2005 season). He's actually seen a downward trend in that category 3 years in a row. That is certainly troubling, but I can't imagine he does anything but raise his 33.3 fb%..his second lowest was 37.1%. Even if he does get back to 37% which is still lower than his career average, that likely adds around 3-5 homers right there. I think that he has a mammoth season. He'll turn 29 mid-season, which as mentioned is right in his prime. I expect he smacks over 35 homers, drives in a ton of runs (110+), and bats around .300. I'm assuming V-Mart is behind him this year, which should also lead to more runs scored as well (Prince is actually a pretty good base-runner for a man as massive and slow footed as him). Any of Votto Pujols Fielder can finish as the #1 1b in my eyes, so if you can get Fielder 3-5 picks after that I think that is pretty good value.

#8 Bush25

Bush25

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

Should think with one year dip in HR department, I see it as the biggest discount you'll ever get on him. Potential 50 HR hitting monster, pretty much in his prime, and potential to hit .300 or higher. Prince has never been a better discount. I would absolutely take him as a 2nd rounder even on the back end of snake drafts to pair him up with a 1st rounder that could give me 30/30 potential.

#9 CM52

CM52

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostBush25, on 25 February 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Should think with one year dip in HR department, I see it as the biggest discount you'll ever get on him. Potential 50 HR hitting monster, pretty much in his prime, and potential to hit .300 or higher. Prince has never been a better discount. I would absolutely take him as a 2nd rounder even on the back end of snake drafts to pair him up with a 1st rounder that could give me 30/30 potential.

You make it sound like he's going in the 20s.  He's going in the 10-12 range as a top 3 first baseman in every draft I've seen, so saying you'd take him in the 2nd round doesn't mean a whole lot.

#10 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

if he gets at least 50AB during spring training and destroys it, he will have a huge start in the real season that I would not be surprised if he hits 55HR
20 team keeper H2H (took over the team), standard Yahoo.  Keepers below.  NA's get put into NA slots (5 max)
C:  d'Arnaud 1B: Lind 2B: Miller SS: Forsythe 3B: Manny Machado OF: Stanton OF: Springer OF: Harper
Util: Salty Bench: Willingham, Suarez, Pena DL: Owings, Myers NA: Solarte Baez (NA)
SP: Strasburg SP: Price RP: Motte RP: Broxton P: Stroman, Storen, Tazawa, Petricka, Santiago, Kendrick DL:Pineda NA:Meyer
Trades: 1) Taijuan Walker and 5th rounder for Ryu and 4th rounder 2) Heyward, Hosmer, Bailey for Ellsbury 3) Abreu for Harper and Lind 6) Soria, Shelby Miller and round 6 pick for Strasburg and 7th rounder 7)  Ellsbury and 3rd rounder for Springer and 1st rounder 8) Francisco, Allen, 7th rounder for 5th rounder 9) Rosenthal and Ryu for Price

Money league Roto
C- Carlos Sant 1B) Abreu 2b) Altuve 3b) E5 SS) Rollins OF- McCutch, Jones, Harper Util- Gardner, Cron Bench: NA: Bryant SPs:  Strasburg, Verlander, Ventura, Hudson, Samardzija, Duffy, Cain, Lester, Walker, Stroman RPs:  Reed Doolittle Papelbon Trades: 1) Joey Bats and Panda for E5 and Werth 2) Morse for RA Dickey 3) Soria for Garza 4) Braun and Mesoraco for McCutch and McCann 5) Werth for Homer Bailey and Gardner 6) Cain for Kemp 7) Hill for Samardzija 8)  Melky, Hosmer, Sale for Strasberg and JUp 9) Garza and Miller for Verlander 10) Balfour for LaRoche 11) Bourn for Soriano 12) Kemp for Lester and Cain 13) JUp, LaRoche, Chisenballs for Adam Jones

#11 CM52

CM52

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

View PostSuikoden, on 25 February 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

if he gets at least 50AB during spring training and destroys it, he will have a huge start in the real season that I would not be surprised if he hits 55HR

He probably had a few more 50 HR seasons in him if he stayed in Milwaukee, but I doubt he ever gets there in Comerica.  He'll still be insanely valuable, of course.

#12 midlip

midlip

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm confused by this guy.  He's ranked in everyone's ranks between 10-15 overall, regardless of position yet RotoWorld has him all the way down at #31, yes has nothing but glowing reviews and projected stats.

What gives?

#13 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

i think you could make a case to take him as high as 4. top three picks are pretty clear cut, but after that it's a crap shoot.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#14 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Too much of an injury risk for me.

#15 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostMy Dinner With Andre, on 15 March 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Please back this up with something.  Baseball is a different game now a days.  So many players, including superstars take or get days off to "clear their head" or nurse a very minor injury.
Prince Fielder on the other hand, prides himself on playing everyday.
Games played since his 2nd year where he became a full time player:
2007: 157
2007: 158
2008: 159
2009: 162
2010: 161
2011: 162
2012: 162
Man, he is injury prone, he's already missed a handful of games in 7 years...

EDIT: Please don't say he's an injury risk this year because he's fat.  He's ALWAYS been fat and hasn't dealt with injuries.  Plus he's only 29......if he was 33-34, then it could be a different story.

Edited by poopdungbeatle, 15 March 2013 - 08:00 PM.

14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Devin Mesoraco / 1b - Edwin Encarnacion / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Evan Gattis, Charlie Blackmon
Bench - Kendrys Morales, Alex Guerrero
NA - Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson
DL - George Springer, Allen Craig

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P -   Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka, JP Howell, Mike Fiers
Bench - Alex Wood, Chris Archer, Jesse Hahn, Danny Duffy, Jacob, deGrom, Jimmy Nelson, Kyle Hendricks

#16 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

View Postpoopdungbeatle, on 15 March 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Please back this up with something.  Baseball is a different game now a days.  So many players, including superstars take or get days off to "clear their head" or nurse a very minor injury.

EDIT: Please don't say he's an injury risk this year because he's fat.  He's ALWAYS been fat and hasn't dealt with injuries.  Plus he's only 29......if he was 33-34, then it could be a different story.

Yeah, youre hard pressed to find a more durable player than this. His injury risk is nil at this point.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#17 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

View Postpoopdungbeatle, on 15 March 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Haha, come on, that was just such a ridiculous comment that you had to see the the underlying sarcasm!

When it comes to fantasy baseball give me the fat, portly players over the musclebound physical specimens any day of the week.

#18 jammer2

jammer2

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Prince goes OFF this year, 40 HR, 121 RBI, .318 BA.....which leads to Hunter scoring 110 runs!
Standard Yahoo, head to head league Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL Batters Stat Categories: Runs ®, Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG) Pitchers Stat Categories:
Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)

SP Stephen Strasburg,Jered Weaver, Max Scherzer, Doug Fister, Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner, Shelby Miller, F.Dubront   
RP Jason Motte, Bruce Rondon, Jason Grilli,
C V.Martinez,   
1B Pujols, Swisher (1B/OF)
2B Zobrist (2B,SS,OF),
3B Middlebrooks, Matt Carpenter (3B,1B,OF),   
SS Rollins,   
OF HunterPence, Tori Hunter, Josh Reddick, David Murphy,
Util Jurickson Profar,

#19 jr11890

jr11890

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

I took him 7th overall last night and dont regret it. Hes the safest pick of round one IMO. I think he wins the mvp this year
16 Team H2H Non Points League Non Keeper
Positions:C 1B 2B 3B SS OF OF OF SP SP SP SP SP BN BN BN BN BN DL DL DL DL
Categories:R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB K'S AVG OBP IP W L CG SHO HR K'S ERA WHIP QS
C-Molina 1B-Freeman 2B-Carpenter 3B-Beltre SS-Boaegerts OF-Puig,Craig,Calhoun
SP-Kershaw,Cueto,Ventura,Burnett,Arietta,Odorizzi,Smyly
BN-Peralta,Crisp
DL-Holland,Victorino,Crawford,N.Walker

#20 lbjames6

lbjames6

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Prince is on the booooooard!

3 run jack off Boone Logan to right field.
Yahoo $$$ 12 Team 5x5 H2H (42-24-4)
Infield - Wilin Rosario*, Miguel Cabrera^, Kolten Wong*, Edwin Encarnacion, Jean Segura
Outfield - Alex Rios, Wil Myers, Michael Morse*
Utility - Alcides Escobar*, Everth Cabrera
Bench - Kole Calhoun, Jason Kipnis^, Salvador Perez
Starters - Michael Wacha, Sonny Gray, Andrew Cashner (DL), James Paxton (DL), Michael Pineda, Jason Vargas*, Wily Peralta^, Erik Bedard*, Tommy Milone*
Relievers - Francisco Rodriguez*, Ernesto Frieri*, Ronald Belisario
* - Waiver pickup.....^Trade pickup
Yahoo $$$ 12 Team 5x5 H2H (38-27-5)
Infield - Evan Gattis, Paul Goldschmidt, Jedd Gyorko, Kyle Seager, Ian Desmond
Outfield - Yasiel Puig, Jose Bautista, Wil Myers
Utility - Everth Cabrera, Justin Morneau
Bench - Carlos Beltran (DL)
Starters - Gio Gonzalez (DL), Alex Cobb, Andrew Cashner (DL), Alex Wood, Sonny Gray, Zach Wheeler, Chris Tillman, Michael Pineda, Wei-Yin Chen*, Trevor Bauer*
Relievers - Matt Lindstrom*, Francisco Rodriguez*, Bryan Shaw*, Jenrry Mejia*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users