Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Justin Verlander 2013 OutlookStill the best pitcher in baseball?

• Please log in to reply
539 replies to this topic

#1 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Justin Verlander was the undisputed first pitcher off the board in last year's drafts.

Although he is still certainly an elite pitcher I can't say he's the undisputed best pitcher in baseball this year with the younger Felix and Kershaw right there with him.

The main thing I'm wondering is how is dating Kate Upton going to effect Verlander.  

Will having a super babe in his corner project his confidence and swagger to out of this world levels or will staying up all night with that fine piece of a** take away from his concentration on baseball?

#2 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,740 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Just let me say that if Verlander isn't the undisputed best pitcher in baseball he has the undisputed hottest girlfriend in baseball.

#3 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostFouLLine, on 25 December 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

Just let me say that if Verlander isn't the undisputed best pitcher in baseball he has the undisputed hottest girlfriend in baseball.
Agreed brother.

#4 Bravesfan155

Bravesfan155

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Came across this on youtube. It's every strikeout he made last season. Hard not to be amazed by that curveball.

My favorite part is 7:05.

Edited by Bravesfan155, 18 January 2013 - 02:33 AM.

forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=283533&st=20#entry2736207

forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=265147&st=500#entry2810860

#5 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

Yeah his hammer is so sick.

#6 phoenixbases

phoenixbases

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Do you guys think that he didn't have hot girlfriends before Kate Upton?  I'm fairly certain he's always done quite alright for himself.

#7 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostPRoSPx, on 25 December 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

Justin Verlander was the undisputed first pitcher off the board in last year's drafts.

Although he is still certainly an elite pitcher I can't say he's the undisputed best pitcher in baseball this year with the younger Felix and Kershaw right there with him.

The main thing I'm wondering is how is dating Kate Upton going to effect Verlander.  

Will having a super babe in his corner project his confidence and swagger to out of this world levels or will staying up all night with that fine piece of a** take away from his concentration on baseball?
He is for sure elite, if I had first pick of a "pitcher" draft I would probably go Kershaw with Verlander being my no.2, I think if he is healthy however Strasburg will probably put up the best 2013 numbers, its just too much a gamble at this point over Verlander or Kershaw.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#8 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I could watch that K video all day every day.

#9 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Am i crazy for considering this guy #1 overall in H2H pts leagues?  There isnt a more dominant SP.  (Kershaw still a clear #2 IMO)

He's pretty much a lock top 10 overall scorer.  

Thoughts?

#10 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostWhoopie!, on 25 February 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Am i crazy for considering this guy #1 overall in H2H pts leagues?  There isnt a more dominant SP.  (Kershaw still a clear #2 IMO)

He's pretty much a lock top 10 overall scorer.  

Thoughts?

I think Kershaw is better, but you really can't go wrong with Verlander. If that's your guy, go for it

#11 Coach George

Coach George

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

This Detroit infield defense is just terrible...

Peralta had an error in the first...Verlander had an error in the first and Infante just booted an easy double play ball.  He got one out, but it should've been two for sure.

This could be a big factor for Verlander and the rest of this staff.  Not breaking news but worth considering...

#12 det_tigers

det_tigers

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yeahh

Tigers signed RHP Justin Verlander to a five-year, $140 million extension with a vesting option for 2020.

Verlander was under contract for two more years at $20 million per season, but he'll now earn an additional $140 million over the five seasons after that and will get a total of $202 million if his vesting option kicks in. It's a ton of money to commit to a pitcher, especially with how many innings Verlander has piled up in recent seasons. He's earned it, though, after winning the AL MVP and Cy Young in 2011 and finishing runner-up in the Cy Young last season.

#13 juice219

juice219

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

View Postphoenixbases, on 20 January 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

Do you guys think that he didn't have hot girlfriends before Kate Upton?  I'm fairly certain he's always done quite alright for himself.

actually...not.  Had a longtime girlfried, that was average at best, whom he dumped for Kate.  Traded a D player, for the best A player on the block.

#14 2Balls

2Balls

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

View Postdet_tigers, on 29 March 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

Yeahh

Tigers signed RHP Justin Verlander to a five-year, $140 million extension with a vesting option for 2020.

Verlander was under contract for two more years at $20 million per season, but he'll now earn an additional $140 million over the five seasons after that and will get a total of $202 million if his vesting option kicks in. It's a ton of money to commit to a pitcher, especially with how many innings Verlander has piled up in recent seasons. He's earned it, though, after winning the AL MVP and Cy Young in 2011 and finishing runner-up in the Cy Young last season.

I know I'm in the minority, but this wasnt a great business decision. He was locked up for 2 more seasons. Tigers extended him from ages 32-37 and will not get the return in investment IMO. You don't pay a guy for what he did in the past, yet this is exactly what the Tigers did.

Ask yourself, what's the better investment, 15 wins/year for $15M/$20M per year (could get very good pitcher at this price) or $30M/year in hopes that Verlander can continue to win 18-19 in his mid-30s?

If this contract was signed at age 26, I'd love it. Just think it's not a great investment. And considering Miggy & Prince are both on giant contracts & we don't have the TV deal some of the other big spenders have, one of them will have to go and/or the rest of the team will be stripped of talent (bye to Scherzer and AJax when their contracts are up).

#15 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

View Post2Balls, on 30 March 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

View Postdet_tigers, on 29 March 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

Yeahh

I know I'm in the minority, but this wasnt a great business decision. He was locked up for 2 more seasons. Tigers extended him from ages 32-37 and will not get the return in investment IMO. You don't pay a guy for what he did in the past, yet this is exactly what the Tigers did.

Ask yourself, what's the better investment, 15 wins/year for $15M/$20M per year (could get very good pitcher at this price) or $30M/year in hopes that Verlander can continue to win 18-19 in his mid-30s?

If this contract was signed at age 26, I'd love it. Just think it's not a great investment. And considering Miggy & Prince are both on giant contracts & we don't have the TV deal some of the other big spenders have, one of them will have to go and/or the rest of the team will be stripped of talent (bye to Scherzer and AJax when their contracts are up).

If what I've heard is correct (may not be, haven't heard much), the contract is front loaded so when the likes of Scherzer and AJax are in need of an extension then they could make it happen. Not 100% sure, but front loading the contract would make a ton of sense.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#16 2Balls

2Balls

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

2 more years at $20M, then 5 @ $28M

#17 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Unfortunately that's just how things have been going in the MLB lately. Ask the Angels.

5+ years down the line, we'll start to see the effects.

#18 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

View Postballsohard, on 30 March 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

Unfortunately that's just how things have been going in the MLB lately. Ask the Angels.

5+ years down the line, we'll start to see the effects.

Its the market rate and Detroit wasnt going to let him walk, age is an issue but it could have been worse, with a  7-8 year deal which seems to be the new norm for SP.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#19 bigge2win

bigge2win

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

The system is the way it is in order to benefit small market teams. Players aren't being paid their market value based on an annual performance. If they were, all small market teams would lose their prospects and younger players faster, while older players with declining production would be driven out of the league. There was an article on fangraphs a few weeks back about Mike Trout's situation with tons of comments about the fairness of the salary structure in MLB. Basically you gotta play for cheap money and earn the big contract when you're older, or lock into a deal when you're younger but forgo some of the potential millions more you can make when you hit the market.

It somewhat evens out in that sense. Look at Verlander's value for his past 5 years. He performed at $25-30M a year based on WAR, but was paid significantly less. In 2009, WAR of 8.1 worth $36.5M, but his contract was only $3.7M. Basically performed 10 times his contract. If all teams played chicken with players and agents and didn't pay up for past performance, you can see contracts going down, but then players would strike. They either get paid for performance when they're young (which hurts competitive balance since big market teams have the cash to blow on these high performance players) or they get paid when they're old and declining. There's no perfect system. Smart/practical teams will spend big money if they need to, but be thrifty. Big market teams will continue to be wasteful.

#20 dsw283

dsw283

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Not able to watch the game at the moment, but is Verlander having trouble locating pitches?

Edited by dsw283, 01 April 2013 - 05:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users