Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Clayton Kershaw 2013 OutlookBest pitcher in baseball?

• Please log in to reply
554 replies to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

Will this be the year that Kershaw takes the best pitcher in baseball award away from Justin Verlander?

Kershaw out did Verlander last year in ERA, WHIP, and K/9.  But Verlander had more Wins, IPs, and overall Ks.

Either way both of these guys are looking to be fringe first rounders who will probably be taken in the mid to early second round.  I'm all about sleeping on pitchers but guys with this much talent I couldn't argue with people using an early 2nd round pick on them.

Where will you be drafting Kershaw?

#2 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  • Interests:Still waiting for my man.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

I think in 2011 I was able to nab Kershaw for about $21- and then like a moron I dealt him to the guy who overtook me for 4th place (last money slot)..... he went for $44 this year in the same league.

After two years of Lincecum-like numbers and nothing that says he's going to let up- plus a better offense if anything- I would expect him to push $45+, making him too espensive for me as a SP to draft...

He was fun to own as a $20-$25 player- but now that he's anywhere from $45-$50 (literally) he is just not worth price for the risk of one elbow or shoulder injury knocking him out for the year or an extended period of time.

Not to go off-topic, but when I think about a guy like Kershaw who is just going to be worth so much money (kind of like Strasburg, who will be getting a ton as well now that there are no caps whatsoever on him and all of that) I question how much a guy like R.A. Dickey will get in auctions when Kershaw should easily see $40, ditto to Strasburg. Because you could probably argue that Dickey is as likely (if not more so) to stay healthy and he'll still post gaudy K numbers. But will he rack up wins and keep his ERA/WHIP as pristine as it was now that he's in the East?
(Ergo, I think Dickey winds up a bargain because people will undervalue him, pitching a lot of his games in the AL East now with its reputation.)

Remember Adam Wainwright.... that's why I cannot and will not go the distance on a guy like Kershaw.

But I do think he is the best pitcher in the NL right now. I just don't want to risk one injury wrecking my year or wasting a ton of money. It's more manageable when it's a position player, believe it or not. Losing a top pitcher you bid major money on is a huge blow to anyone's chances....

Edited by Nick Mitchell, 26 December 2012 - 03:16 AM.

Team #1: currently winning $250 if the season ended today.
Team #2: currently winning $1.250 if the season ended today.
This site: as bad as Yahoo's new updates when it comes to news blurbs and typos. I'll donate my earnings if you'll fix your news?

#3 jv35

jv35

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostNick Mitchell, on 26 December 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

Remember Adam Wainwright.... that's why I cannot and will not go the distance on a guy like Kershaw.

I know Wainwright had/has an inverted-W, which screams TJ, but Kershaw doesn't appear to have an inverted-W or another serious flaw in his mechanics that could cause injury.
Something tells me I could easily beat those trained professionals. - Bender

#4 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Lets see...probationary member with only 2 posts and you want us to click on a link...no thanks.
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#5 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostluvBaseball123, on 15 February 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

I've always loved Kershaw, but thought Verlander was better until I read this article.

Think the Dodgers lineup is good enough this year to make Kershaw the best? click on the link and tell me what you think.
Both are great. Kershaw's dominance at such a young age is certainly impressive. I think the comparison, like so many, is a bit unfair. They both are exceptional in their own right.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#6 lavaman

lavaman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Kershaw will be the best pitcher in baseball this season.

Bank on it:   he's got the pitches, he's got the youth, and he's got the offense behind him.
NL Only 3-Keeper $ League (2013 runner-up):
SP Kershaw, 1B Freeman, OF CarGo

AL Only 3-Keeper $ League (2012, 2013 Champion):
SP Verlander, 3B Miggy, OF Bautista

PPR 3-keeper league
Cam, Foster, JJ, Jefferey

#7 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

View Postlavaman, on 16 February 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

Bank on it:   he's got the pitches, he's got the youth, and he's got the offense behind him.

He's #1 in my book
Verlander close behind
I've got more hits than Sadaharu Oh.

#8 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

View PostluvBaseball123, on 15 February 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Sorry, thought it was a good article and wanted to post it.

I really just want to know what people think about Kershaw and Verlander, my draft is coming up soon.

Sorry, it wasn't intended to be a personal attack, nor a knock on people posting links.  I am just always cautious of new members posting links...never know what you're going to find on the other end.  There have been many spammers on these forums in the past.  The fact that you are actually replying to what I posted changes my perspective.  Again, sorry for the skepticism.  Welcome to the forums!

As a Kershaw owner in an NL-only dynasty, I may be a bit biased, but I think he's the #1 pitcher.

Edited by Halo Fan, 16 February 2013 - 01:16 AM.

"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#9 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

I give Verlander the edge for best pitcher in baseball because I consider the league each of them plays in. I'd take Kershaw #1 pitcher in fantasy, but Verlander #1 in real life.

#10 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Drafting I'd give the edge to Kershaw being in the NL over Verlander. I like the idea of facing a pitcher for an easy out with it being a potential strikeout.

#11 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

View PostRed Sox Nation, on 16 February 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

I give Verlander the edge for best pitcher in baseball because I consider the league each of them plays in. I'd take Kershaw #1 pitcher in fantasy, but Verlander #1 in real life.

Also +1 for Kate Upton

#12 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostHalo Fan, on 15 February 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Lets see...probationary member with only 2 posts and you want us to click on a link...no thanks.

Link was legit you can always (at least on chrome / torch) inspect the element to see where it's trying to link you.

#13 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,506 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostluvBaseball123, on 15 February 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

I've always loved Kershaw, but thought Verlander was better until I read this article.

Think the Dodgers lineup is good enough this year to make Kershaw the best? click on the link and tell me what you think.
To me he is the No.1 rated P in baseball.  Lots to like.  Great K potential, plays on team I think could be a 95+ win team so could easily see him 20+ wins and not that he needs the help plays in more of a pitchers park and has two good pitchers parks in Petco and ATT, plus pretty lousy lineups in SF and SD plus one of the best hitters in the division (Justin Upton) now out of the division.

Where exactly you take him in a snake draft or how much you buy him from in an auction is always up for debate, but if we were drafting like my daughters softball league where there is a seperate pitchers draft, I think he would be consensus no.1.  

I guess the two risks:
1. The Hip from last year, obviously like hitters, hip rotation is a big part of the pitching process, if it recurs?

2. Dodger blow up and getting caught up in that.  If this blending together of stars just blows up to a toxic situation, mentally he could get caught up in that mess and have a "down" year and disappoint.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#14 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,950 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Kershaw because he is five years younger and has a lot less mileage on his arm.  Hip is concerning for sure but I don't think it will stop him this year.
www. drafttracker.net

#15 rag9876

rag9876

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Gotta love this guy anchoring your rotation.

Re: hip issue. He missed 1 start last year due to it, but came back and made 3 after the injury:

21 IP, 23/10 K/BB (including one 5 BB game his first game after injury, which seems like an aberration), 2 ER.

Also stated in early November:

During an interview with Jim Duquette on MLB network radio, Clayton Kershaw said that his hip is fine and that he's fully healthy heading into the offseason.
Kershaw also mentioned that he's willing to listen to contract extension proposals, but hasn't yet had any conversations with the Dodgers about it. He added that his preference is to not go through arbitration, but would if he had to.

I think we have to assume that the 4+ months he's had off since October have allowed him to fully heal.  I suppose there's always the chance of re-aggravation, but he's showed the ability to still pitch through it at an elite level.  I wouldn't hesitate to take him around pick 15 or so, or to make him the highest paid pitcher in an auction.

#16 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

View Postlavaman, on 16 February 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

We will see, my bet is on Strasburg.  I like Price too, but would probably take Kershaw over him when considering division and team. Then again, Price held his own last year and my thinking is he's only going to get better.
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#17 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Kershaw is the #1 arm on my board, but I can't take him in the 1st round.  I just prefer to take the premium bats due to the risk of pitchers getting hurt.  I know there's no science to predict injury for hitters pitchers, but personally, I'm more comfortable in taking the stud bat who will hopefully play 150-162 games.

Are the hip issues a thing of the past now?  I'm not concerned right now, but it is weird for a pitcher so young to have hip problems.

#18 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Best pitcher in baseball. Can't really go wrong drafting him

#19 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

If you take a pitcher over a batter in the first round, you're gonna have a bad time, mmmkay?
20 team keeper H2H (took over the team), standard Yahoo.  Keepers below.  NA's get put into NA slots (5 max)
C:  d'Arnaud 1B: Eric Hosmer 2B: Brad Miller SS: Owings 3B: Manny Machado OF: Stanton OF: Heyward OF: Myers
Util:  Jose Abreu Bench: Avila, Schoop, Solarte, Baez (NA)
SP: Homer Bailey SP: Shelby Miller RP: Rosenthal RP: Soria P: Motte, Broxton, Withrow, Storen, Allen, Webb
Bench: Pineda, Ryu, Stroman and Meyer (Both NA's)
Trades: 1) Taijuan Walker and 5th rounder for Ryu and 4th rounder

Money league Roto
C- Carlos Sant 1B) Mash Abreu 2b) Altuve 3b) E5 SS) Rollins OF- Braun, Harper, Werth Util- Melky Morse
Bench: Brad Miller, Hosmer, Hill, Solarte  NAs: Bryant and Springer
SPs:  Sale, Cain, Ventura, Hudson RPs:  Reed Balfour Papelbon Soria Bench: Ubaldo DL- Walker
Trades: 1) Joey Bats and Panda for E5 and Werth

#20 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

View PostSuikoden, on 17 February 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

If you take a pitcher over a batter in the first round, you're gonna have a bad time, mmmkay?

Yes. First round bats NEVER disappoint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users