Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Hakim Warrick 2012-2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 Hammers

Hammers

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

I didn't see a post on this guy.

With Mullens out for about 1 month with a severely sprain ankle and no one else blocking him for minutes, Warrick may have just become fantasy relevant. Warrick has started 93 games over his career and averaged 14 and almost 7 boards and close to 50% shooting. He doesn't offer much in the way of defensive stats but someone in need of some scoring and boards, can do a lot worse.

#2 Bkswag

Bkswag

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Rotoworld is pitching him over Ayon now ..
PG - Damian Thrillard • Kemba Sky Walker • Michael "The Carter" Willams
SG - Sir Lance-Alot Stevenson • Wesley Big Body Mathews •
SF  - Kawhi "Top 30 in 9 cat" Leanord • Tobias Princess Harris • Trevor Corner 3 Ariza •
PF  - Anthony "The Brow" Davis • Blake "High Griffinition" Griffin
C   - Dwight Superman Howard • Jonas V-Nasty Valanclunis
UTIL - Singler • Harkless

12 team

Poised to win a championship!

#3 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

14 and 4 off the wire isn't bad. Plus no one else at PF. Sign me up!

#4 League Pass

League Pass

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

Anyone who may get 33 min a game moving forward deserves a thread.

#5 the1gq2nvy

the1gq2nvy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

i made the move and dropped mullens in my deep 14 teamer. I figure itll be a good month and they still havent release a timeline so possibly there doing more test.
14 team Head to Head Money league

PG- D. Will
G- M.Conley
G - D. Lillard
SG- Jr. Smith
SF- Delfino
F- Amir Johnson
F- M. Webster
PF- D. Cousins
C- T. Splitter
C. B.Lopez
Bn: Rubio, Charlie V, M.Barnes, Bogut

#6 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

The only thing with Warrick though is that his game is so non-fantasy friendly. He's a pretty decent player in real life, especially for a back-up (which most of the Bobcats are if we're being honest lol) but he profiles like a poor-man's Carl Landry; meaning he does absolutely nothing outside of some PTS/REB on very slightly above average FG% from the PF position.

Check out his Career Stats, even back when he was a starter for MEM for a few years averaging around 25+ min/g his stats were pretty ugly, especially considering he was a semi-important part of their offensive game plan (I forgot how bad MEM used to be).

His career averages of FG 49.2% & FT 72.7% are pretty solid for a PF, especially since he seems like a guy (looking at his MEM/MIL stats) that experiences a 2-4% uptick in FG% when he's getting more shots & run. His TO's are also pretty attractive, mostly bc of the nature of his game, he's not a guy who's gonna attempt to handle the ball so around 1.0-1.2 TO's/g is what to expect which is also pretty solid. Besides that though the upside is pretty much non-existent. He'll get you around 12 PTS/5 REB/0.8 AST w/ no 3's & about 0.4 STL/BLK in a BEST CASE scenario if he's playing 25-30 min/g. There's no reason to expect anything more than that either bc his stats, if anything, have gotten even more lackluster over the last few seasons - not improved.

So basically what I'm saying is, if you are absolutely stuck and need someone to plug in who won't hurt you really and will throw in some PTS & REB here and there Warrick is a solid pick-up, but if you're expecting him to break out and start contributing all-around look elsewhere. Honestly, in 12 or less team leagues (even very "competitive" ones) I would guess there is someone who contributes a little more in other areas or with more upside - just not the aesthetically pleasing look of the 12p/5r averages.

Also, and this just might be me bc my leagues are usually more strict about player eligibility (meaning we only use 1 Util and no "G or F" generic spots, we do PGx2, SGx2, SFx2, PFx2, Cx2, 1 util) so when someone is a borderline talent I usually go for the PF/C or the PF/SF over the PF only. Just something to think about.

Finally, just for completion sake, my predictions for his averages while starting for the RobertCats in 28 min/g is:
FG 51%/FT 72%/12.5 PTS/5.5 REB/0.5 AST/0.5 STL/0.2 BLK/1.1 TO - if that is satisfactory to you, pick him up, but I don't think he's worth it unless you are absolutely desperate or in a very deep league (14+ teams at least).
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#7 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

I personally think hes fool gold. Always has been, always will. hes not consistent enough to be on any roster and i think that the Mullens injury helps MKG and Biyombo
[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#8 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

I personally think hes fool gold. Always has been, always will. hes not consistent enough to be on any roster and i think that the Mullens injury helps MKG and Biyombo

More like fools bronze or something ;) But I like the way you put that, I'm gonna steal that from you haha.

#9 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

The only thing with Warrick though is that his game is so non-fantasy friendly. He's a pretty decent player in real life, especially for a back-up (which most of the Bobcats are if we're being honest lol) but he profiles like a poor-man's Carl Landry; meaning he does absolutely nothing outside of some PTS/REB on very slightly above average FG% from the PF position.

Check out his Career Stats, even back when he was a starter for MEM for a few years averaging around 25+ min/g his stats were pretty ugly, especially considering he was a semi-important part of their offensive game plan (I forgot how bad MEM used to be).

His career averages of FG 49.2% & FT 72.7% are pretty solid for a PF, especially since he seems like a guy (looking at his MEM/MIL stats) that experiences a 2-4% uptick in FG% when he's getting more shots & run. His TO's are also pretty attractive, mostly bc of the nature of his game, he's not a guy who's gonna attempt to handle the ball so around 1.0-1.2 TO's/g is what to expect which is also pretty solid. Besides that though the upside is pretty much non-existent. He'll get you around 12 PTS/5 REB/0.8 AST w/ no 3's & about 0.4 STL/BLK in a BEST CASE scenario if he's playing 25-30 min/g. There's no reason to expect anything more than that either bc his stats, if anything, have gotten even more lackluster over the last few seasons - not improved.

So basically what I'm saying is, if you are absolutely stuck and need someone to plug in who won't hurt you really and will throw in some PTS & REB here and there Warrick is a solid pick-up, but if you're expecting him to break out and start contributing all-around look elsewhere. Honestly, in 12 or less team leagues (even very "competitive" ones) I would guess there is someone who contributes a little more in other areas or with more upside - just not the aesthetically pleasing look of the 12p/5r averages.

Also, and this just might be me bc my leagues are usually more strict about player eligibility (meaning we only use 1 Util and no "G or F" generic spots, we do PGx2, SGx2, SFx2, PFx2, Cx2, 1 util) so when someone is a borderline talent I usually go for the PF/C or the PF/SF over the PF only. Just something to think about.

Finally, just for completion sake, my predictions for his averages while starting for the RobertCats in 28 min/g is:
FG 51%/FT 72%/12.5 PTS/5.5 REB/0.5 AST/0.5 STL/0.2 BLK/1.1 TO - if that is satisfactory to you, pick him up, but I don't think he's worth it unless you are absolutely desperate or in a very deep league (14+ teams at least).

Great post no doubt, but instead of just looking at the career stats you need to delve into the actual box scores and check out the stretches when he actually started. There wasn't a full season when he was a starter. In the stretches where he started he was pretty decent for points with moderately helpful fg and boards.

I'm going to take the two seasons he started the most games giving us the best sample size

05/06: 43 games started: 31 minutes average

15 ppg 6.5 rpg 51.5 fg%

06/07 30 games started 34 mpg

16.6 ppg 6.9 rpg 49.7 fg%

These two years count for the overwhelming majority of his starts considering he has 93 total. Also, with no competition for front court offense, I'd expect his minutes to be around 34. So I'd probably add some ppg to your production. His starts also came playing along side Gasol, which you can argue was a good or bad thing for fantasy. He also has a pretty solid ft% as a big man.

In conclusion, I think he's a non exciting but productive fill in. No arguments that he's meant for deeper leagues.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#10 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

Actually in one of those seasons the majority of the starts occurred when Pau was hurt with a foot issue to start the season. I think Pau ended up missing 40 games or so that year.

Great post no doubt, but instead of just looking at the career stats you need to delve into the actual box scores and check out the stretches when he actually started. There wasn't a full season when he was a starter. In the stretches where he started he was pretty decent for points with moderately helpful fg and boards.

I'm going to take the two seasons he started the most games giving us the best sample size

15 ppg 6.5 rpg 51.5 fg%

These two years count for the overwhelming majority of his starts considering he has 93 total. Also, with no competition for front court offense, I'd expect his minutes to be around 34. So I'd probably add some ppg to your production. His starts also came playing along side Gasol, which you can argue was a good or bad thing for fantasy. He also has a pretty solid ft% as a big man.

In conclusion, I think he's a non exciting but productive fill in. No arguments that he's meant for deeper leagues.

EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#11 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Actually in one of those seasons the majority of the starts occurred when Pau was hurt with a foot issue to start the season. I think Pau ended up missing 40 games or so that year.

15 ppg 6.5 rpg 51.5 fg%

Fair enough, I didnt actually click an individual box score. Like I said above you could argue that as a good or bad thing. Gasol probably attracted more defense opening it up for him when they played together, but Warrick probably saw more looks on offense when Gasol was out.

#12 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Warwick is a guy that he has had too many opportunities. He could barely see the floor and produce value with Steve Nash in Phx. He had minimal fantasy success in Memphis and he's been trending down from there. I like him deep leagues, but in 12 teamers he looks like a 12ppg-5.5rpg guy with little in the way of peripheral stats. I cant get excited.

#13 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

15 ppg 6.5 rpg 51.5 fg%

Yeah, good call, I usually do delve into the game logs a bit more beyond just the career #'s but I felt like I knew Warrick's story already, which I guess I didn't bc I didn't know he was ever that productive. Code also has a really good point though, that he couldn't do anything with his opportunities in PHX last year, which kind of goes along with what I said in my post - it almost seems like his game has kinda dropped off since his MEM days (I just remember him looking much more formidable back then vs the PHX games I watched on NBA-LP), even thought in theory he should be in his prime. Not sure why this happens to some guys but it definitely seems to. My only theory is that maybe as a player who's game is predicated on above average athleticism as that starts to wear off it exposes the fact that he hasn't really worked on the other parts of his game. Just an idea, but worth looking at.

#14 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,569 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

In terms of Pho last year, he never emerged because we can all agree he isnt that good and he had to fight for minutes with Frye and Morris. Gortat was locked in at a lot of minutes at Center.

He is currently fighting minutes with nobody while Mullens is out. He is their BEST low post scorer which says more about the bobcats than anything else. I think his fantasy value is based on going to get a lot of minutes in a very untalented front court tandem.

#15 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

In terms of Pho last year, he never emerged because we can all agree he isnt that good and he had to fight for minutes with Frye and Morris. Gortat was locked in at a lot of minutes at Center.

He is currently fighting minutes with nobody while Mullens is out. He is their BEST low post scorer which says more about the bobcats than anything else. I think his fantasy value is based on going to get a lot of minutes in a very untalented front court tandem.

Very solid analysis, and while I'm sure you don't need to be reminded of this, but to anyone else reading this I would just make sure you know what you'll be getting out of him even though he is getting minutes. Carl Landry light lol.

Like you said though, the Bobcats are seriously frighteningly bad. I mean how did they get this bad up front, I remember them having guys like Chandler, Wallace, etc - you'd think they'd at least try to swing a trade to acquire at least 1 decent F/C to put up front. If they do land someone like that around the trade deadline that guy's fantasy profile will look pretty sweet. Like the fantasy basketball version of open bar.

#16 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

To be honest, everyone on this forum would qualify to be a Rotoworld "analyst". All you need to do is a post a blurb after someone has a hot game, and include something along the lines of "if you need him and have someone to cut, make the move".

#17 League Pass

League Pass

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Brock that was a smart post by you... His career stats are misleading cause most of the time he's playing 11-18 min a game. The numbers to look at are the stats when he's getting 30min a game and more... And during those periods he's a serviceable player and. Pretty nice short term WW option.

#18 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

To be honest, everyone on this forum would qualify to be a Rotoworld "analyst". All you need to do is a post a blurb after someone has a hot game, and include something along the lines of "if you need him and have someone to cut, make the move".

wait i always wondered why fantasy analysts get paid. Just head on over to the forums and look at the outlooks
[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#19 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

wait i always wondered why fantasy analysts get paid. Just head on over to the forums and look at the outlooks

Lol I wonder how much $$ a guy like Bruski, Dr. A, or Knaus pull in a year?? At face value it seems like a pretty cool job, until you think about the fact that you would spend 1/3 of your working years writing about basketball players and a game based on the arbitrary stats they produce. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diminish fantasy sports, I LOVE fantasy sports, but I love them bc they're an escape from the very real stress of life and it's something I'll be really into for a week, then lay low for a few, and repeat that cycle at my own discretion. I couldn't imagine having to follow injury reports and player/organization/writer twitter accounts like a hawk and write about every little detail that emerges even when you're not in the mood to. No disrespect to those guys but that sounds like an incredibly unfulfilling career.

Sorry to change the topic, but it's just something I've wondered about before. What do you all think about that?? Is it something you'd want to do?? How much would they need to pay you?? Do you know what those guys get paid on average for that stuff??

#20 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,785 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

I'd love to get out of law/real estate and write about fantasy hoops all day. If i had balls i'd give it a shot. I'd love it as I truly love fantasy hoops and sports. Im not sure how much it pays though. Seems like a tough job to make 6 figures in. Guess i'll keep doing what im doing... :lol:

Lol I wonder how much $$ a guy like Bruski, Dr. A, or Knaus pull in a year?? At face value it seems like a pretty cool job, until you think about the fact that you would spend 1/3 of your working years writing about basketball players and a game based on the arbitrary stats they produce. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to diminish fantasy sports, I LOVE fantasy sports, but I love them bc they're an escape from the very real stress of life and it's something I'll be really into for a week, then lay low for a few, and repeat that cycle at my own discretion. I couldn't imagine having to follow injury reports and player/organization/writer twitter accounts like a hawk and write about every little detail that emerges even when you're not in the mood to. No disrespect to those guys but that sounds like an incredibly unfulfilling career.

Sorry to change the topic, but it's just something I've wondered about before. What do you all think about that?? Is it something you'd want to do?? How much would they need to pay you?? Do you know what those guys get paid on average for that stuff??