Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Daniel Straily 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
667 replies to this topic

#1 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Dan Straily dominated the minors last year with insane strikeout rates at over 11 per 9.

He is looking to be The A's 5th starter right now after a very solid 39.33 MLB innings where the 24 year old righty posted a 3.89 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, and a 7.32 K/9. He should crack the team out of spring.

He comes with the risk of being young and unproven but he also has very good upside. He should be a late round sleeper and could end up being a nice draft day deal.

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Is he the 5th starter though? That is the risk somewhat I guess depending on your league settings. They resigned Colon which kind of throws a monkey into the wrench a bit.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 Big Tuna

Big Tuna

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Love this guys potential - and he looked solid in his 1st shot...they have to give him a spot...right?

#4 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Did he even get taken in the mock draft?

#5 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

He's got the 5th slot right now and should be able to hold off the competition if there is any from Brad Peacock (don't see Travis Blackley making a push). Right now the A's are at Brett Anderson, Jarrod Parker, Tom Milone, AJ Griffin & Straily.

#6 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

He's got the 5th slot right now and should be able to hold off the competition if there is any from Brad Peacock (don't see Travis Blackley making a push). Right now the A's are at Brett Anderson, Jarrod Parker, Tom Milone, AJ Griffin & Straily.

What about Bartolo Colon? They resigned him very early in the offseason process and I saw an interview with Beane where he praised him, so I assume he is somehwere in that rotation mix?
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#7 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

What about Bartolo Colon? They resigned him very early in the offseason process and I saw an interview with Beane where he praised him, so I assume he is somehwere in that rotation mix?

I think he will be. I dont see him mentioned in MLB Depth charts.com though. I would assume Straily would get the bump from the rotation before Griffin because a little less experience

Edited by klove42, 18 January 2013 - 12:24 PM.

No Days Off

#8 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Bartolo is going to miss the first month of the season at a minimum due to the Steroid suspension

#9 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Kind of unrelated but does anyone else feel like this year there are a million SP sleepers? Guys like Griffin, Strailey are two examples. I just feel like this year more then ever you can really wait and get solid guys with upside later that have decent K potential.
No Days Off

#10 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Bartolo is going to miss the first month of the season at a minimum due to the Steroid suspension

He's only going to miss the first 5 games. http://espn.go.com/m...kland-athletics

I'm pretty sure Straily is going to not start in the rotation. Colon, Griffin, Anderson, Milone, and Parker are my guesses.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#11 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Kind of unrelated but does anyone else feel like this year there are a million SP sleepers? Guys like Griffin, Strailey are two examples. I just feel like this year more then ever you can really wait and get solid guys with upside later that have decent K potential.

Agree 100%, I think its important to get a staff anchor or two, but then ton of guys with upside or bounceback potential who should be great values at end of drafts and auctions.

#12 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Yeah, Bartolo already missed 40 games in the regular season, plus 5 more in the playoffs (has 5 more to go), I initially thought he had only missed like 30 games in the regular seas and needed to go 20 more because I didn't count the playoffs. Straily might be locked out to start the year, but someone will be hurt early and he'll be up soon -- might actually make him a better draft value.

#13 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

You don't hold back an MLB ready talent like Straily for Bartolo Colon.

Maybe Straily starts the season in the minors and they run with Colon. As The A's may want to hold Straily back to get one more year before he's eligible for arbitration. But Straily will be up and in producing in the bigs before The All-Star Break.

#14 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Why wouldn't you? You're acting like Bartolo stunk last year. He pitched 152 innings. He went 10-9 with a 3.43 era.

Dan Straily pitched 39 innings. He went 2-1 with a 3.89 era.

I've seen Bartolo dismissed as a joke in more than one thread around here. It's ridiculous. If a young guy did what Colon did it'd be great. Because he's at the end of his career it's...what, garbage? Stop being ridiculous, people. Bartolo's production last year is something every team in baseball could use.

Straily will get his chance this year. Injuries and/or trades will happen. It just is unlikely to happen at the start of the season. That's fine - it gives you room to roster other sleepers.

Edited by AnonymousRob, 18 January 2013 - 03:04 PM.

Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#15 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Care to name of few of your top sleepers? I know there are a lot, but I want to see what you're thinking of.

#16 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Why wouldn't you? You're acting like Bartolo stunk last year. He pitched 152 innings. He went 10-9 with a 3.43 era.

I've seen Bartolo dismissed as a joke in more than one thread around here. It's ridiculous. If a young guy did what Colon did it'd be great. Because he's at the end of his career it's...what, garbage? Stop being ridiculous, people. Bartolo's production last year is something every team in baseball could use.

Straily will get his chance this year. Injuries and/or trades will happen. It just is unlikely to happen at the start of the season. That's fine - it gives you room to roster other sleepers.

Colon was plenty productive last year. I never said he was garbage, but way to misquote me and misinterpret what I said because of a triggered emotional response due to previous conversations about your boy Colon.

I clearly acknowledge that chances are Straily starts the season at AAA. Which in all honesty is more of a political money saving strategy and not because he is less skillful than Colon.

But let's get some facts straight. Colon first off hasn't pitched a full season in the bigs since 2005. He will be 40 in May. His BABIP was below his career average and HR/FB below his career average. Now they weren't entirely out of line with his career averages but at the same time the guy is 40 and something is going to eventually give.

Can Colon post a 3.43 ERA over a full season? Chances are extremely slim. Colon could very well be a disaster next year. A hardcore regression is the most likely scenario in this case. The guy is 40, by no means was he dominating, and has proven to be injury prone throughout his career.

Straily is one of the most promising pitching prospects in baseball right now. You act like Straily doesn't have an elite ceiling.

#17 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Care to name of few of your top sleepers? I know there are a lot, but I want to see what you're thinking of.

Even just in the A's staff there is straily Milone and griffin (straily is a sleeper of mine even if he doesn't make the rotation at first) then in the same division you can look at the Mariners and Erasimo Ramirez ,iwakimora or however you spell it, hultzen will also eventually be up. Tillman and Hammel in the Al east will probably be late sleepers. Estrada and friers from Milwaukee. Then some players coming back from tommy John like luebke , Danny Duffy, Paulino that probably won't even be drafted or grabbed late. These are just some off the top of my head if I was looking at depth charts I could name more
No Days Off

#18 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Colon was plenty productive last year. I never said he was garbage, but way to misquote me and misinterpret what I said because of a triggered emotional response due to previous conversations about your boy Colon.

I clearly acknowledge that chances are Straily starts the season at AAA. Which in all honesty is more of a political money saving strategy and not because he is less skillful than Colon.

But let's get some facts straight. Colon first off hasn't pitched a full season in the bigs since 2005. He will be 40 in May. His BABIP was below his career average and HR/FB below his career average. Now they weren't entirely out of line with his career averages but at the same time the guy is 40 and something is going to eventually give.

Can Colon post a 3.43 ERA over a full season? Chances are extremely slim. Colon could very well be a disaster next year. A hardcore regression is the most likely scenario in this case. The guy is 40, by no means was he dominating, and has proven to be injury prone throughout his career.

Straily is one of the most promising pitching prospects in baseball right now. You act like Straily doesn't have an elite ceiling.

I see nothing wrong with his HR/FB rate or is BABIP. They are both close enough to his career average, and Oakland is a pitcher friendly ball park. So I'm not sure why it even needs to be brought up. His age is of course a concern, but I don't see why he has to Hit a wall with regression like that this year.

He is going to be more of an innings eater than most of those young guys (on a per game basis). He went at least 8 innings 7 times last year in his partial season.

Pitching Depth is always a good thing for any team. And Colon provides Positive Value for the A's. right now.

But as you said Straily will get his shot this year at some point. Likely before the break. So yeah.

Edited by Slatykamora, 19 January 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#19 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,544 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Even just in the A's staff there is straily Milone and griffin (straily is a sleeper of mine even if he doesn't make the rotation at first) then in the same division you can look at the Mariners and Erasimo Ramirez ,iwakimora or however you spell it, hultzen will also eventually be up. Tillman and Hammel in the Al east will probably be late sleepers. Estrada and friers from Milwaukee. Then some players coming back from tommy John like luebke , Danny Duffy, Paulino that probably won't even be drafted or grabbed late. These are just some off the top of my head if I was looking at depth charts I could name more

Duffy will be interesting. I completely forgot about him. I don't think he's draftable, but I will keep a close eye on him. Is he going to be ready opening day?

I think Luebke is a great draft and stash
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#20 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Duffy will be interesting. I completely forgot about him. I don't think he's draftable, but I will keep a close eye on him. Is he going to be ready opening day?

I think Luebke is a great draft and stash

He won't be. I think he was injured early June so he could be back In July. He won't be drafted in most leagues which is good because he can be a player to keep an eye on. Im also kind of hoping straily isn't the fifth starter right away... I think he would eventually come up and his draft price will be drastically lowered if he isn't starting the year as the starter. He could be a great waiver pick up later
No Days Off