Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

Matt Harvey 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1178 replies to this topic

#1 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Personally, I love this guy's makeup and think he's going to be a stud. What say you?

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 29 December 2012 - 09:22 PM.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#2 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

I'm with you. Harvey has all the skills to be a stud starter. Someone to watch out for in drafts. What's his ADP/dollar value look like?
Bring back Ray!

#3 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

i can see him maturing into a chris carpenter like careers ... his 2013 will probly be something like lance lynn's 2012

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#4 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,967 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

He is a part of one of the best fantasy team names: Lee Harvey Oswalt.

#5 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

I like him a lot this year too. I haven't checked out his early ADP yet, but I have a feeling he will be everyone's popular sleeper pick and his ADP will be semi high (not like Moore last year though).
No Days Off

#6 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I like him a lot this year too. I haven't checked out his early ADP yet, but I have a feeling he will be everyone's popular sleeper pick and his ADP will be semi high (not like Moore last year though).

me too, but I feel that he's worth reaching for. he's done more at the MLB level than Moore had done last year. that makes me less hesitant to reach.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#7 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

me too, but I feel that he's worth reaching for. he's done more at the MLB level than Moore had done last year. that makes me less hesitant to reach.

I would definatly reach on him too, but I just am wondering where his ADP will end up as the season gets closer. For some reason I have a feeling he could end up being where Beachy was drafted last year (around pick 120)
No Days Off

#8 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

He likely will be allowed to go 200 innings if he can, considering he's gone (rounding) 136 and then 170 the past 2 years. I think he needs to lower his fastball a tick because he would overthrow a lot and his 3.94 bb/9 backs it up. He averaged 94.7 mph, but I think that he can be very effective at 94 and a little more efficient. Also, he had a super high line drive rate that didn't match-up with that low of a babip. No way his babip is in the .260's if his line drive rate is near 25% again. Those are my concerns. However, I do think he will be a star and an ace in the very near future. He has the moxy you need to pitch in New York. He has GREAT stuff, and if he can learn to pitch more efficiently (something that is easy to pick up since he is young) he likely has some top 5 Cy Young finishes in his future. I think the scouts and coaches on the Mets are much smarter than me, but I also think they work with him on being able to "pitch" more as opposed to just trying to blow it by people. Wins will be tough to come by with their "offense", but Niese was able to win 13 last year (I'm ignoring Dickey since I don't think that's a reasonable expectation), which shows with some luck 15 wins is attainable.

projections: 30 starts, 6.3 ip per start, 190 ip, 13 wins (8 losses), 3.40 era, 1.20 whip, 200 k's. Great #3 starter in standard 12 team mixed leagues

#9 GJDHouse

GJDHouse

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

There are only about 15 guys in the majors that are capable of putting up 200 k's in a year and Harvey is one of them. You can't undervalue that fact. High K pitchers that don't kill your ERA and WHIP are such a great commodity. I am hoping he can put up a Yovani Gallardo type season. 200+ k's 3.5-3.8 ERA, mid range whip, and double digit wins. Would be a great sophomore season.

#10 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

I landed him with the 121st pick in the rw mock slow draft, which feels like a steal to me.

#11 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

good to know people think he can continue what he was doing last season.

Edited by The Harsh, 15 January 2013 - 09:04 PM.
Removed BC content.

#12 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

He likely will be allowed to go 200 innings if he can, considering he's gone (rounding) 136 and then 170 the past 2 years. I think he needs to lower his fastball a tick because he would overthrow a lot and his 3.94 bb/9 backs it up. He averaged 94.7 mph, but I think that he can be very effective at 94 and a little more efficient. Also, he had a super high line drive rate that didn't match-up with that low of a babip. No way his babip is in the .260's if his line drive rate is near 25% again. Those are my concerns. However, I do think he will be a star and an ace in the very near future. He has the moxy you need to pitch in New York. He has GREAT stuff, and if he can learn to pitch more efficiently (something that is easy to pick up since he is young) he likely has some top 5 Cy Young finishes in his future. I think the scouts and coaches on the Mets are much smarter than me, but I also think they work with him on being able to "pitch" more as opposed to just trying to blow it by people. Wins will be tough to come by with their "offense", but Niese was able to win 13 last year (I'm ignoring Dickey since I don't think that's a reasonable expectation), which shows with some luck 15 wins is attainable.

projections: 30 starts, 6.3 ip per start, 190 ip, 13 wins (8 losses), 3.40 era, 1.20 whip, 200 k's. Great #3 starter in standard 12 team mixed leagues

he looks great on swinging strike% and outside the zone swing%. outside of the walks and line drives there's not a lot to dislike about him. his name was near the top every time i sorted a stat that i like pitchers to do well in.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#13 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Harvey had 10 starts last year to Moore's 31.

Sure Harvey had a better ERA, WHIP, and K/9 it was only over 59.33 innings as well as the fact the league has yet to really have the chance to force Harvey to adjust. Matt Moore has already shown he can make the adjustments as evidence by the difference in how he started 2012 and ended it.

On the other hand chances are Harvey won't put up as good of ratios this year as he did in 2012, whereas I only see Moore's getting better.

This is not a knock against Harvey as I like him as a sleeper, but he is easily 2+ tiers below what Moore is to me.

I feel that the 120's are too early to really be drafting Matt Harvey right now. But it all depends on the draft. That first mock draft a lot of mid tier pitching went early and often. I think in most leagues Harvey is a 11 - 12th round pick. As you can see in the 2nd mock draft a lot of these mid round pitchers are going over a round later this time around.

#14 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I don't think he'll reach Moore's level. Moore really developed a lot of hype after he had that great postseason that made just about everybody that watched love him and want him. Harvey doesn't have quite the hype. He's probably going to end up going as a low end 2/high end 3 in most drafts.
Bring back Ray!

#15 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

How will the park play with the fences being brought in?
www. drafttracker.net

#16 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,967 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Good point. I was already expecting a fairly big spike in ERA before.considering this. His ERA probably goes up close to a full run.

#17 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

I thought the fences were brought in prior to last season. I am mistaken?

#18 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

they brought the one side of the fence in last year. isnt another team bringing in their fences.

#19 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,967 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

they brought the one side of the fence in last year. isnt another team bringing in their fences.

Yeah Seattle.

#20 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I thought the fences were brought in prior to last season. I am mistaken?

you are correct.