#1 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,315 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

I'm reading you guys make a nice case for Ruggiano as a sleeper, and i'm debating with myself on what to expect from Stanton, and both situations conjure up the concerns of who will be around them? I have no idea.

Logan Morrison...Chris Caughlin... who else? who's playing short? that minor leaguer from tampa? who's playing second? they'll need a backup 1B for LoMo, no doubt. do they have a catcher? is someone gonna play third?
12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Plouffe
CI/ Craig
2B/ Lowrie
SS/ Simmons
MI/ Wong
4 OF/ Rios, Bautista, Cespedes, Leonys
Utl/ Heyward
SP/ Felix, Teheran, Sale,
Archer, Latos
RP/ Ross, Richards
, Martinez, Stroman
BN/ Cron
DL/ Everth, Encarnacion

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#2 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

This one is simple to me. Stanton is going to hit alot of HRs. That is all I got.
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#3 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

View Posttucker26, on 29 December 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

This one is simple to me. Stanton is going to hit alot of HRs. That is all I got.

He's not going to see any pitches if the Marlins can't find him protection.  Why pitch to Stanton if the lineup has 8 Walking AFKs? I could see him getting frustrated real fast.

#4 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  • Interests:Still waiting for my man.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

This is EXACTLY why I have Stanton much lower on my lists than I'm assuming the "Yahoo experts" (or even maybe some people here) will have him, and why I am "down" (I find it hard to really be "up" on a 30-year-old who broke-out in only 330 AB or so honestly, a very small sample size) on Justin Ruggiano.

I am avoiding ALL Marlins like the plague this season, save for maybe some pieces to the back-end of their bullpen depending on if I wind up in a league that counts holds or not. Even not, if Cishek holds the CL role, he may wind up generating saves because they're bound to win a lot of ugly/close games.

Other than their CL and possibly set-up man/men, they are ALL off of my radar. There is no team.

By the way, one guy the original poster forgot was Placido Polanco. I think he signed w/ them, but maybe I'm wrong? I know Carlos Lee was a FA to be, or I'm pretty sure anyway. And Rob Brantly projects to be the starting C right now- yep, Rob Brantly.

Point is... Stanton is not going to be worth as much as he's paid in auctions or his ADP in regular drafts if he has the cast that projects to play around him for a full season. Ruggiano is being way over-hyped and is a 3 category player at best, and probably a part-time player as well on a rebuilding Marlins team.

This team should lose 100 games, easily...
The thing that hurts them the most in my opinion is the returns on some of those trade packages were not even that good at all.
Team #1: currently winning $250 if the season ended today.
Team #2: currently winning $1.250 if the season ended today.
This site: as bad as Yahoo's new updates when it comes to news blurbs and typos. I'll donate my earnings if you'll fix your news?

#5 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

View Postcalzonesays, on 30 December 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

He's not going to see any pitches if the Marlins can't find him protection.  Why pitch to Stanton if the lineup has 8 Walking AFKs? I could see him getting frustrated real fast.

This is exactly why I'm avoiding Ruggiano unless he's a dollar pick on a $260 budget. Unlike Stanton, he cannot take a pitch and why walk him when you can throw him a slider away and know that there's no one to protect him? He'll K 200 times as a regular. I didn't want to say that in the Ruggiano thread because he seems to have people enamored with his "upside" (the typical 're-worked his swing, got buried in the minors on a team with a deep system, and has always had 20/20 upside' type of guy- the potential there is always sexy- but when you're 30 and it's the first time you have 20/20 fantasy upside, see Andres Torres in 2011 and what can happen).

I know if I post much more reason to avoid a guy like Ruggiano even though he may go cheap, I think of guys like Torres who went for $26 in my auction draft in 2011, the year after his break-out season w/ the Giants where he had 15+ HR and 25+ SB and played great D in CF). I think most of us can remember how Torres did in 2011. Well, he did nothing.

I don't think Ruggiano is going to do much on a team with nothing around him. And he's not much of a big deal at 30 years old and coming off of 350 AB or so of his first good big league play. Flukey.

Ditto to Brandon Moss- avoid and let someone else overpay. Maybe these will be things that cost me my league, but I think a lot of these players are being way over-hyped and any Marlin is on my do not draft list.... save for maybe Cishek.
This site: as bad as Yahoo's new updates when it comes to news blurbs and typos. I'll donate my earnings if you'll fix your news?

#6 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

Their current position player crop outside of Stanton is: Bryan Peterson, Justin Ruggiano, Greg Dobbs, Adeiny Hechavaria, Donovan Solano, Logan Morrison,  and Rob Brantly.  That is beyond awful.  It would be shocking if this team doesn't lose 100.  Their rotation will also suck out loud, especially if Eovaldi and Turner don't improve.  Nolasco is their ace.  I don't know how any fan could go to the ballpark to watch this pile of garbage.  What an awful team this will be.

#7 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

On Stanton, Kemp had Juan Rivera hitting behind him in 2011. So there's that to consider.

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Plouffe
CI/ Craig
2B/ Lowrie
SS/ Simmons
MI/ Wong
Utl/ Heyward
Archer, Latos
RP/ Ross, Richards
, Martinez, Stroman
BN/ Cron
DL/ Everth, Encarnacion

#8 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

I think Stanton will be fine, but this is a team i will probably never want to watch on TV... And I am a Tribe fan. Just terrible. I hope Stanton falls in draft because of the lineup, i will love to snatch him up.

#9 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

i have a good feeling the mets won't be in last place.

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Plouffe
CI/ Craig
2B/ Lowrie
SS/ Simmons
MI/ Wong
Utl/ Heyward
Archer, Latos
RP/ Ross, Richards
, Martinez, Stroman
BN/ Cron
DL/ Everth, Encarnacion

#10 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Poor Miami fans. They trick everyone down there into thinking they were going to be a new competitive team with a brand new stadium. That plan really went downhill fast.This team is going to be worse than awful. They could threaten the record for worst season ever.
Bring back Ray!

#11 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Marlins will listen to offers on Stanton.

I have no clue who could possibly afford him. Have to imagine trading a guy like that would entail a number of cheap MLB starters and top level prospects.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#12 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,562 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Everyone is so low on The Marlins.  Honestly I think The Marlins will be better than last year.  They will have mad sleeper pitching.  

Also don't sleep on how talented of a hitter LoMo is.  Sure he only hit .230 last year, but he had a .248 BABIP and he still OPSed .707 as a 24 year old.

Ruggiano is the real deal guys.  I'm not doubting that for a second.

#13 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,562 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yeah things don't look good for The Marlins as they are obviously rebuilding when they traded Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, and Mark Buehrle.  

But remember The Marlins have done this many times before.  I honestly trust Marlin scouting over just about any organization.  They pretty much cleaned The Blue Jays farm system out and The Jays farm was stacked.

This team could be this year's surprise in the bigs.  No I'm not saying they are playoff bound, but a lot of people are pegging them to lose 100 games.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were close to .500 this year.  Let alone 2 years from now.

The Marlins are overwhelmingly deep with MLB ready 23 - 25 year olds who all look to have solid to very good upside.

Edited by FouLLine, 30 December 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#14 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,562 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

View Postcalzonesays, on 30 December 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

The other side of that coin is.  If The Marlins are that bad and constantly losing and/or behind in games, why would you walk Stanton?

If Stanton is getting intentionally walked constantly that means one of two things if not both.  The Marlins are competitive on a consistent basis and the guys in front of Stanton are reaching base.

Juan P is still a very solid leadoff hitter.  LoMo and Ruggiano are both high upside guys.  The top of that lineup is going to be much better than most of you are giving it credit for.

#15 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Completely disagree about sleeper pitching.  Nolasco is terrible.  Henderson Alvarez can't K anyone and will probably end up in the 'pen.  Wade LeBlanc is terrible.  Eovaldi has potential, so I'll give you that.  Turner's velocity is way down from when he was considered an elite prospect.  He didn't impress me at all when I watched him last season.  I think Turner profiles more as a #4 SP as opposed to a top of the rotation starter now that his stuff is diminished.  They have Jose Fernandez in the minors, who is a stud.  Maybe he'll come up for a cup of coffee.

Also, their offense will be putrid.  Hechavaria and Solano will both struggle to post an OPS near .700.  Bryan Peterson can't hit at all.  We have no idea how Ruggiano will perform.  Dobbs is a career bench bat with a lifetime OPS under .700.  Brantly is a much worse hitter than he showed in time in the big leagues last season and will struggle over a full season.  LoMo has potential and maybe we'll see that this season.  I don't see this upside you're talking about to be honest.

#16 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostFouLLine, on 30 December 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

Yeah things don't look good for The Marlins as they are obviously rebuilding when they traded Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, and Mark Buehrle.  

But remember The Marlins have done this many times before.  I honestly trust Marlin scouting over just about any organization.  They pretty much cleaned The Blue Jays farm system out and The Jays farm was stacked.

This team could be this year's surprise in the bigs.  No I'm not saying they are playoff bound, but a lot of people are pegging them to lose 100 games.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were close to .500 this year.  Let alone 2 years from now.

The Marlins are overwhelmingly deep with MLB ready 23 - 25 year olds who all look to have solid to very good upside.

I'm not saying they won't be solid in a few years, but this team is very young and inexperienced. I think they start off really slow because for a lot of their players, it's going to be their first or second year in the majors. This team will get better as the season goes on, but I don't see them being that close to .500 this year. In a few year, they could be a very solid team. This team is very young and under contract for many years together. They will grow together and compete in a few years, but not this year.
Bring back Ray!

#17 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,562 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 30 December 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

I'm not saying they won't be solid in a few years, but this team is very young and inexperienced. I think they start off really slow because for a lot of their players, it's going to be their first or second year in the majors. This team will get better as the season goes on, but I don't see them being that close to .500 this year. In a few year, they could be a very solid team. This team is very young and under contract for many years together. They will grow together and compete in a few years, but not this year.

The Marlins are my this years Seattle Mariners.  I remember last year everyone was saying they'd lose 100 games too.

I know it looks bad.  But I just love their pitching, and already pegged them as the most under rated staff in the league.

#18 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

The Marlins pitching?

...what is there TO love? Sorry, but "cleaned the Blue Jays system out"?.... the Mets did a better job there, and for a 38-year-old coming off of a HUGE peak.

What the Mets got for Dickey alone was better than the haul for Johnson, Mark B., Reyes, etc. That was almost like a salary dump. Alvarez IS NOT that good. His k/9 for how hard he throws is pitiful. Even if his control is pinpoint, he's like Carlos Silva with more speed on his FB. He isn't a highly touted prospect anymore even if youth is on his side. He's made over 40 big league starts.

The rest inspire nothing to me.

View Postmjk356, on 30 December 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Completely disagree about sleeper pitching.  Nolasco is terrible.  Henderson Alvarez can't K anyone and will probably end up in the 'pen.  Wade LeBlanc is terrible.  Eovaldi has potential, so I'll give you that.  Turner's velocity is way down from when he was considered an elite prospect.  He didn't impress me at all when I watched him last season.  I think Turner profiles more as a #4 SP as opposed to a top of the rotation starter now that his stuff is diminished.  They have Jose Fernandez in the minors, who is a stud.  Maybe he'll come up for a cup of coffee.

Also, their offense will be putrid.  Hechavaria and Solano will both struggle to post an OPS near .700.  Bryan Peterson can't hit at all.  We have no idea how Ruggiano will perform.  Dobbs is a career bench bat with a lifetime OPS under .700.  Brantly is a much worse hitter than he showed in time in the big leagues last season and will struggle over a full season.  LoMo has potential and maybe we'll see that this season.  I don't see this upside you're talking about to be honest.

You more or less beat me to it. Only, I just wanted to say the Mets got more in d'Anaurd than the Marlins did in a single player in return. Even with d'Anaurd's injury concerns. They also got a nice arm with real #2 upside (the Mets).

Marlins dumped salary. I don't know who would want to drink their kool-aid for 2013 save for the Skip Bayless ESPN analysts or people trying to be outlandish and hope to strike gold. I dunno, I see NO potential for 2013- or 2014.

The Marlins haven't been good or in the playoffs for quite awhile, actually. So the confidence in their rebuilding .. I dunno why you still have that, either. They treat their fans like utter trash. I'd be ashamed to be a fan of their team. Would rather be a lifelong Lugnuts fan. Seriously man...

But on losing 100 games- while that is highly plausible, I truly expect HOU to lose 110+, maybe even set the futility record. They could be so so sooo bad...

Edited by Nick Mitchell, 31 December 2012 - 03:22 AM.

#19 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

They might be one of the worst teams in MLB history right now.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#20 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostNick Mitchell, on 31 December 2012 - 03:21 AM, said:

The Marlins pitching?

...what is there TO love? Sorry, but "cleaned the Blue Jays system out"?.... the Mets did a better job there, and for a 38-year-old coming off of a HUGE peak.

What the Mets got for Dickey alone was better than the haul for Johnson, Mark B., Reyes, etc. That was almost like a salary dump. Alvarez IS NOT that good. His k/9 for how hard he throws is pitiful. Even if his control is pinpoint, he's like Carlos Silva with more speed on his FB. He isn't a highly touted prospect anymore even if youth is on his side. He's made over 40 big league starts.

The rest inspire nothing to me.

View Postmjk356, on 30 December 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

You more or less beat me to it. Only, I just wanted to say the Mets got more in d'Anaurd than the Marlins did in a single player in return. Even with d'Anaurd's injury concerns. They also got a nice arm with real #2 upside (the Mets).

Marlins dumped salary. I don't know who would want to drink their kool-aid for 2013 save for the Skip Bayless ESPN analysts or people trying to be outlandish and hope to strike gold. I dunno, I see NO potential for 2013- or 2014.

The Marlins haven't been good or in the playoffs for quite awhile, actually. So the confidence in their rebuilding .. I dunno why you still have that, either. They treat their fans like utter trash. I'd be ashamed to be a fan of their team. Would rather be a lifelong Lugnuts fan. Seriously man...

But on losing 100 games- while that is highly plausible, I truly expect HOU to lose 110+, maybe even set the futility record. They could be so so sooo bad...

The Mets also got Syndergard (I don't think that's right, I don't know how to spell it) who is a comparable prospect to anyone the Marlins got. Marlins are going to need a lot of things to break their way to finish under 100 losses.
Bring back Ray!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users