Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Cleveland Indians 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
123 replies to this topic

#1 Superb3ast

Superb3ast

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Lots of young talent in the infield- does Swisher get the job done at RF?

Over/under 500 combined strikeouts between Stubbs and Reynolds?

Bauer able to take the reins as the future ace for the Tribe?

Predictions: Asdrubal and Masterson are both traded prior to the deadline for young pitching talent and a first baseman. Lindor is the starting SS by end of season, and provides a huge spark down the stretch of an otherwise empty season. Team will once again resign a worthless vet they should stay far away from (Hafner), still doesn't understand the concept of a total rebuild and the fact that they need to do one.

Just another year as a Cleveland fan.

#2 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

i'm looking forward to carlos carrasco's return. the guy was putting it together in 2011, had a live, moving fastball, a swing and miss slider and change he mixed in a lot.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#3 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Cleveland likely won't contend this year, but they aren't that far off. All they need is a 1B and another starter. They have Asdrubal to use to get both of those positions set for the future.
Bring back Ray!

#4 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Im really excited to see Laporta. I just dont think Acta gave him that much of a chance especially with Kotchmans terrible fielding. Hopefully Francona can turn him into the stud that we traded Sabathia for. I do think that Asdrubal gets traded to get us another pitcher. Hopefully to St Louis for Shelby Miller maybe. I could also see Perez being traded as well, but i hope not cause he is one of my favorite players on the team. Love his fire. The chiz kid could also surprise us into a 15+ homer guy.

Ill take the under on 500 strikeouts. Somewhere in between 450-499 is where i am looking at.

Really dont like the swisher deal, but hopefully i am wrong about him.

I really like Bauer especially for what we gave up for him in Choo.

It might not be the best time to be a Tribe fan, but we have a lot of talent and we are on the upswing! At least we are not Marlins fans. :)

#5 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

Cleveland likely won't contend this year, but they aren't that far off. All they need is a 1B and another starter. They have Asdrubal to use to get both of those positions set for the future.

I wish this was true. We need an entire new staff, and by the time we get it the other "core" players will be up for trade. Standard Cle fare
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa. -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. -Thomas Boswell

#6 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

I wish this was true. We need an entire new staff, and by the time we get it the other "core" players will be up for trade. Standard Cle fare

I don't think you need an entire new staff. Bauer is someone to build around. If Masterson can find his 2011 form or Jimenez can find any level of consistency, then you have a decent top 3. McAllister wasn't that bad last year and makes a solid 4. Carrasco also should be back soon. If they can pick up another young solid pitcher with Asdrubal, then the rotation is decent. They aren't going to be top of the line, there is potential for them to be okay this year and allow the hitting to win them games.
Bring back Ray!

#7 Superb3ast

Superb3ast

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Im really excited to see Laporta. I just dont think Acta gave him that much of a chance especially with Kotchmans terrible fielding. Hopefully Francona can turn him into the stud that we traded Sabathia for. I do think that Asdrubal gets traded to get us another pitcher. Hopefully to St Louis for Shelby Miller maybe. I could also see Perez being traded as well, but i hope not cause he is one of my favorite players on the team. Love his fire. The chiz kid could also surprise us into a 15+ homer guy.

Ill take the under on 500 strikeouts. Somewhere in between 450-499 is where i am looking at.

It might not be the best time to be a Tribe fan, but we have a lot of talent and we are on the upswing! At least we are not Marlins fans. :)

i think Swisher will be a nice improvement for the lineup. He's steady and consistent, which this team lacks.. i disagree ref. LaPorta, i honestly at this point think he's simply a bust. The guy just doesn;t seem to have what it takes. I agree Perez is likely traded, though I hope they get something decent for him and don;t give him away. A closer isn't as important as some of the other pieces we need, and there's replacements for him in the bullpen anyway. i agree about his character and i like it too, but you have to think bigger picture.

I'm hoping Chiz really comes on, he's my favorite young player of theirs.

#8 Superb3ast

Superb3ast

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

I don't think you need an entire new staff. Bauer is someone to build around. If Masterson can find his 2011 form or Jimenez can find any level of consistency, then you have a decent top 3. McAllister wasn't that bad last year and makes a solid 4. Carrasco also should be back soon. If they can pick up another young solid pitcher with Asdrubal, then the rotation is decent. They aren't going to be top of the line, there is potential for them to be okay this year and allow the hitting to win them games.

I'm more hoping Ubaldo shows some flashes early int he season so we can trade that pile of crap for something worthwhile. if not for his club friendly contract they'd have already dropped him, and rightly so. i hated that trade from the word go, and still think it was a huge mistake. But then again, that's what this front office does best.

#9 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

i think Swisher will be a nice improvement for the lineup. He's steady and consistent, which this team lacks.. i disagree ref. LaPorta, i honestly at this point think he's simply a bust. The guy just doesn;t seem to have what it takes. I agree Perez is likely traded, though I hope they get something decent for him and don;t give him away. A closer isn't as important as some of the other pieces we need, and there's replacements for him in the bullpen anyway. i agree about his character and i like it too, but you have to think bigger picture.

I'm hoping Chiz really comes on, he's my favorite young player of theirs.

Totally agree on Perez he is expendable. Especially with Pestano ready to take the closer role. He is definitely going to be traded, especially if he starts opening his mouth about the management, and city, again. While i love that hes totally straightforward and honest -- you just cannot do that.

I guess i just dont want to think of Laporta being a bust especially because he cost us Sabathia, but we also got Brantley so i guess thats something. Youre probably right though.

#10 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

I'm more hoping Ubaldo shows some flashes early int he season so we can trade that pile of crap for something worthwhile. if not for his club friendly contract they'd have already dropped him, and rightly so. i hated that trade from the word go, and still think it was a huge mistake. But then again, that's what this front office does best.

One of the worst trades really. Traded Alex White and Pomeranz, but they just wanted to make a splash. Too bad that was a terrible move and we all saw that coming. Ubaldo had not been a good pitcher for almost a year and we paid top value for him.

#11 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Swisher is a world beater in the regular season. He feasts off of mediocre pitching like the Royals and White Sox. (yes I know the Royals "upgraded" this offseason, I'm still down on their rotation.) He should be just fine in the regular season, if the Indians somehow make the playoffs however, he will disappear vs. elite pitching as per usual.

Edited by calzonesays, 31 December 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#12 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

so no one else is joining me on the carlos carrasco love? ... so lonely....

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#13 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

This club might challenge the all-time most K's team record. Brantley really holds them back in this category but everybody else is capable of whiffing 100+ times and a couple guys might fan 200x.

They did do a shift on veering away from their "all lefty all the time" strategy by acquiring Reynolds and Stubbs. That's positive since the 2012 Tribe has been dominated by LHP for years -- unsurprisingly finishing dead last in the AL in BA, OPS & ISO against southpaws.

I still see that there's simply no pitching at all. Ubaldo is their #2 guy. That pretty much says it all.

#14 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

This club might challenge the all-time most K's team record. Brantley really holds them back in this category but everybody else is capable of whiffing 100+ times and a couple guys might fan 200x.

They did do a shift on veering away from their "all lefty all the time" strategy by acquiring Reynolds and Stubbs. That's positive since the 2012 Tribe has been dominated by LHP for years -- unsurprisingly finishing dead last in the AL in BA, OPS & ISO against southpaws.

I still see that there's simply no pitching at all. Ubaldo is their #2 guy. That pretty much says it all.

Well they did get Trevor Bauer. Of course that is also the same guy who would walk the bases loaded and this was in the national league. Wouldn't bank on him contributing.

#15 Superb3ast

Superb3ast

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

this post is so full of truth it makes my heart hurt. I've been bitching about the tribe's obsession with lefties for years now- glad someone else knows that feel.

#16 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

so no one else is joining me on the carlos carrasco love? ... so lonely....

I'll join you. He was decent in Philly and could finally be ready to contribute. The backend of the rotation is up for grabs if any pitcher wants it, so if Carrasco comes back healthy, he shouldn't have an issue locking down a rotation spot over guys like Kluber and Huff.
Bring back Ray!

#17 ohstbuckz21

ohstbuckz21

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Well they did get Trevor Bauer. Of course that is also the same guy who would walk the bases loaded and this was in the national league. Wouldn't bank on him contributing.

Bauer was pitching in the majors as a 21 year old last year and only had 29 professional starts under his belt. His performance last year is not who he is. Bauer will be a stud for a long time hopefully hearing the Wahoo cap for most of it.

A rotation of Masterson, Ubaldo, McAllister, Bauer, Carrasco is not terrible. Probably not what it'll look like at the beginning of the year since Bauer probably doesnt make the rotation out of spring training and Carrasco might not be ready to go yet.
20 Teams, 27 Players, Full Keeper, 8 Team Playoff
Categories - R, HR, RBI, SB, AVE, OPS, W, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP
Offensive Starters - Y.Grandal, D.Ortiz, J.Altuve, D.Wright, J.Segura, J.Hamilton, B.Hamilton, M.Machado, JD.Martinez
Bench - Y.Cespedes, CJ.Cron, J.Pederson(Minors), B.Swihart(Minors)
Starting Pitching - M.Scherzer, J.Cueto, D.Holland(DL), A.Cashner(DL), J.Quintana, J.Hahn, A.Wood, A.Bradley(Minors), C.Buchholz
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Relief Pitching - C. Kimbrel, C.Allen, N.Ramirez, J.Walden, K.Jepsen
2011 Champions

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]WHIR

#18 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,591 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Signed Myers to the back end of the rotation.....He should eat up innings and could be traded at the deadline for something low level.....

According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Indians have reached a one-year contract with Brett Myers.
The deal includes a club option for 2014. Myers, 32, had a solid 3.31 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 41/15 K/BB ratio in 65 1/3 innings of relief last year between the Astros and White Sox. He'll return to starting duties with Cleveland and should carry value in mixed fantasy leagues.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#19 Lebowski87

Lebowski87

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

I really like the Indians this year, even though I don't see them making the playoffs I think there's a good chance of them finishing second place in the division. I like to see teams go out and get players, try and make something happen instead of waving the white flag.

They essentially swapped out Choo for Swisher and received Stubbs and Bauer in return, I'd say that's a pretty nice upgrade.
10 Team PPR League- Two Time Champ
QB- Foles
RB- Ball, Gerhart
WR- D Thomas, Nelson
TE- Gronk
Flex- Roddy White
K- Dawson
DEF- Jets
Bench- Cutler, R Jennings, F Jax, Heath Miller, T Williams.

#20 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Really like that Myers deal. Will be a good # 4/5 guy. Good sleeper in fantasy imo. 3.50 ERA and 160+ K's.

Edited by Theoneupper, 02 January 2013 - 06:46 AM.