Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Coaching Carousel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
213 replies to this topic

#81 calz way

calz way

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying the jump from NCAA to the NFL is easy, but just that coaches can have success in both leagues. And it's not like they are talking about getting the coach from North Dakota State, but one of the best coaches and offensive minds in the NCAA.

I think it will be difficult, especially for Kelly, because of his lack of exposure to the NFL and because of how he's been successful. Pete Carroll had amazing talent and ran an NFL style offense with Norm Chow.

Chip Kelly runs an uptempo/no huddle offense based on speed, (and most of his players are undersized) but everyone is fast in the NFL.

Chow ran a college derivative of the WC offense based on principles from Edwards and Dewey Warren. It wasn't a pro-style offense anymore than Shanahan is running a pro-style offense currently (he's not). He incorporated the pro-style zone blocking scheme and married with with the 3 and 5 step drops of the Edwards WC college principles. Really the "pro style offense" phrase is a misnomer in today's NFL. It means very little b/c most things have bubbled up from the college level. Only Walsh's modified system can really be considered innovation from the pro level and even he needed a couple of years to perfect at the college level.

The WC-Air Coryell offense had its beginnings when Coryell was at SDSU. NE's system is based on spread principles from the NFL and college. The college game and pros are so intertwined that it's difficult to really say a system can't evolve to a successful one if one is open to it. Speed and the grind dictate that NFL offenses require less running from the QB spot and better accuracy from their QBs, but Kelly's system could work if integrated with some other things. I'm not sure Kelly is open to that and how would he communicate with NFL players. Different paradigm than college b/c it's less dictatorial as some guys are making more money and may have more leverage than the coach...

I do agree that Chip Kelly would be one of the riskiest hires in modern NFL history. More risky than Steve Spurrier, who had actually won a championship with his system and had at least played in the NFL. Kelly just has no experience in the NFL other than coaching clinics and he runs a very specific style. He'd really have to be more open to changing how he calls a game and have specific personnel.

Agree with all of this. Another factor that makes Kelly an extremely risky hire is his style of play calling. He is aggressive often to the point of seeming impulsive (Going on 4th down in less than advantageous positions at any point in the game and going for 2 pt conversions) and because he runs an option based attack he has sometimes needed time to "feel out" opponents in the first half to see their strategy while blowing them out in the second half because he knows where to attack and because of his team's superior speed and conditioning. NFL defenses are more multiple than college ones so he may find one team using multiple strategies to slow him down in one game as well as complex disguises. Also, he won't be able to "out-athlete" teams any more. He also uses "surprise" where he uses a unexpected wrinkle to existing gameplans and I just don't think he will sneak up on anyone in the NFL with the way he thinks he outsmarts other college coaches.

Honestly, imo the most pro ready college coach is David Shaw from Stanford. I wish the Lions would dump hothead Schwartz and hire this guy...
ESPN 12 team money league, H2H each cat., usual 8 categories plus 3pt % and assist to turnover ratio
PG: Russell Westbrook, Tyreke Evans, Raymond Felton
SG: Evan Turner, Paul George
SF: Carmelo Anthony, Jared Dudley, Al-Farouq Aminu
PF: David Lee, Dirk Nowitzki, Tiago Splitter
C: Tiago Splitter, Marc Gasol, Andrew Bogut

#82 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,010 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Fat Reid to the desert? Would he bring Vick or does he want to be reunited with Kolb?

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms reports that Andy Reid is close to becoming the Cardinals next coach, with one source putting the odds at "95 percent."

Somers says, "Not so fast, my friend"....

According to the Arizona Republic, the Cardinals have yet to speak to Andy Reid and plan to interview other candidates this week.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#83 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Fat Reid to the desert? Would he bring Vick or does he want to be reunited with Kolb?

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms reports that Andy Reid is close to becoming the Cardinals next coach, with one source putting the odds at "95 percent."

Somers says, "Not so fast, my friend"....

According to the Arizona Republic, the Cardinals have yet to speak to Andy Reid and plan to interview other candidates this week.

Gotta interview a minority candidate first, lest they run afoul of the Rooney rule. Never know how that will turn out, PIT was going to hire Wisenhunt until they interviewed Tomlin and we all know how that ended.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#84 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

So if Wisenhunt ends up in Buffalo, what can we expect on how he handles Spiller?

#85 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

So if Wisenhunt ends up in Buffalo, what can we expect on how he handles Spiller?

I dont think hes a committee guy, wasnt when he was in PIT and they had a back they could trust and he was forever trying to find the one guy in ARI with no luck.

#86 cs3

cs3

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Schiano's success has made college coaches 'popular' again.

So Schiano is the first ex-college coach that comes to mind when you think of "success" and "popular"?
You must not realize that there is football on the west coast.

#87 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

So Schiano is the first ex-college coach that comes to mind when you think of "success" and "popular"?

Am I the only one who isn't all that impressed with Schiano?
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#88 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

And can a mod please use the correct spelling of "Carousel" in the thread title?

A carousal is a drunken feast and/or social gathering. We're not talking about the NBA GM's meetings.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#89 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

And can a mod please use the correct spelling of "Carousel" in the thread title?

A carousal is a drunken feast and/or social gathering. We're not talking about the NBA GM's meetings.

One could argue that any reputable head coach would have to be WASTED to take the KC Chiefs job.

#90 smokin_that_greenellis

smokin_that_greenellis

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

I think he did a good job considering this was his first stint as an NFL head coach.

For starters, I thought the Bucs and Schiano did some good wheeling and dealing in the 2012 draft. Barron had a solid season and Martin is a huge talent. Grabbing Lavonte David at the end of the 2nd round was clutch too, considering he tied 8th for combined tackles and 2nd for solo tackles in the entire NFL.

As for the actual games: In 2011 that defense was dead last in the NFL against the run at 156 YPG. This season they finished first, giving up 82 YPG. Yeah they struggled vs the pass, but such a drastic change vs the run is impressive.

And the offense improved in most areas as well, most notably going from 91 YPG (30th) to 114 YPG (15th). Freeman really struggled down the stretch, throwing 9 of his 17 picks in the final 3 games. Otherwise I thought he took some good strides for 3/4 of the season. I think this team continues to improve, and Schiano deserves credit.

It's all fun and games until a fart becomes a shart.

12-Team Standard

QB:   Eli Manning

RB:   Shady McCoy

RB:   R. Hillman -- M. Ball, B. Cunningham, C. Hyde

WR:  R. Cobb

WR:  V. Jackson

WR:  J. Hunter -- C. Patterson, J. Matthews

TE:   H. Miller -- Z. Ertz

FLX: A. Ellington

#91 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,048 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

I think that FJax will be a factor no matter who is coaching unless he is released. That's obviously not going to happen but I just can't see them leaving him on the bench. I think in the best case scenario for Spiller owners FJax becomes a more talented Michael Turner, a goal line/short yard situation. In a worst case scenario it's a 50/50 split. More likely I see it being a 70/30 split but with what Spiller showed so far that is enough to put up some fantasy points.

#92 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I think that FJax will be a factor no matter who is coaching unless he is released. That's obviously not going to happen but I just can't see them leaving him on the bench. I think in the best case scenario for Spiller owners FJax becomes a more talented Michael Turner, a goal line/short yard situation. In a worst case scenario it's a 50/50 split. More likely I see it being a 70/30 split but with what Spiller showed so far that is enough to put up some fantasy points.

If the next coach goes in with a 50/50 split or using Fjax for anything other than breathers and change of pace he shouldnt get the job. The Fjax at the goal line always confuses me too based on his fumbling issues down there this year.

#93 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,048 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

If the next coach goes in with a 50/50 split or using Fjax for anything other than breathers and change of pace he shouldnt get the job. The Fjax at the goal line always confuses me too based on his fumbling issues down there this year.

100% agree with this but doesn't mean it will happen. Maybe I'm still scared from the Chan effect but I just won't believe it until I see it. With that said there is no chance I don't keep him and I'm not starting him going into the year.

#94 sfdevil

sfdevil

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

One could argue that any reputable head coach would have to be WASTED to take the KC Chiefs job.

Actually, there is a lot less pressure there, then, say, in Philly. With comparable talent too.

#95 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Actually, there is a lot less pressure there, then, say, in Philly. With comparable talent too.

Was just reading today that CLE seems to be regarded in some circles as having the best talent in place of the teams with job openings. They certainly did a solid job of assembling a defense and there are some good pieces on offense as well. Thats a team that with the right coach and GM could turn around a lot quicker than ARI or likely PHI if they are going to bring in a coach like Kelly who will need to overhaul much of the roster.

#96 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I think he did a good job considering this was his first stint as an NFL head coach.

For starters, I thought the Bucs and Schiano did some good wheeling and dealing in the 2012 draft. Barron had a solid season and Martin is a huge talent. Grabbing Lavonte David at the end of the 2nd round was clutch too, considering he tied 8th for combined tackles and 2nd for solo tackles in the entire NFL.

As for the actual games: In 2011 that defense was dead last in the NFL against the run at 156 YPG. This season they finished first, giving up 82 YPG. Yeah they struggled vs the pass, but such a drastic change vs the run is impressive.

And the offense improved in most areas as well, most notably going from 91 YPG (30th) to 114 YPG (15th). Freeman really struggled down the stretch, throwing 9 of his 17 picks in the final 3 games. Otherwise I thought he took some good strides for 3/4 of the season. I think this team continues to improve, and Schiano deserves credit.

How much credit should he actually get for drafting Mark Barron though? How much of a hand did Schiano have in that draft class? I'm seeing a bunch of no-brainers there.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#97 hasonmare

hasonmare

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

Love is officially out. Bears fans everywhere rejoicePosted Image

#98 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,048 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

I hear Lovie will be talking to Buffalo soon. Could be an interesting fit but will probably frustrate the hell out of Spiller owners. I easily see a Forte/Bush situation where Spiller gets it to the 1 and FJax punches it in.

#99 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,048 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Looks like Reid will be going to the Chiefs. Very interesting, something I wasn't expecting even after the reports this morning. Not really sure how this impacts Kansas City skill players since they really don't have any outside of Charles but I will be curious to see what they do to rebuild that team.

#100 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Maybe they were referencing college coaches to the NFL and Dennis Erickson who got a DUI ON THE WAY to a practice when he took over the Seahawks.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about