Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

2013 Coaching CarouselWho's out, where are they going...

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#41 hawkeyefootball

hawkeyefootball

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

#Bears offense was ranked 15th in 2006. 2007: 27th. 2008: 26th. 2009: 23rd. 2010: 30th. 2011: 24th. 2012: 28th.
-Zach Zaidman on twitter

Lovie was a great defensive coach, and perhaps he should stick to being a defensive coordinator. His defenses were great, even this year despite the age and injuries to key players. That said, as a head coach, you eventually have to take blame for the offensive failures.

Get an offensive minded coach and go all out on improving the offensive line, and the Bears offensive weapons could see their value skyrocket next season.

Edit: And for the love of God get rid of Kellen "Dropatron" Davis

Edited by hawkeyefootball, 31 December 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#42 CooL

CooL

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

View Postpredator_05, on 31 December 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

Lovie fired after going 10-6? That's a strange move.

It's not his fault that the Bears suffered a rash of injuries, but all anyone will remember about this season is they started 7-1 and at one point were in the talks about representing the NFC in the Super Bowl.  Then once again a huge collapse.  Mike Tice didn't help matters.  The fact that the Bears offense is so predictable (throw to Marshall, handoff to Forte) didn't help matters.  It'll be interesting to see what direction they move in.

Chan Gailey getting canned.  CJ Spiller owners rejoice!  Gosh, I wish I had taken him in my draft instead of the idiots I chose.

Norv's last presser was pretty pathetic.  It looked like he had been crying.  He said something like "Well, it's not up to me....  I assume they will be looking for a new coach tomorrow."  How utterly pathetic but incredibly fitting for an overrated coach who has overstayed his welcome for several years now.

Adam Schefter on ESPN right now saying how we have to keep in mind that today is a sad day for a lot of families.  It affects the coaches' families and then all of the other families of the coordinators and staff that work under the now fired coach.  Not exactly how I'd want to start out my 2013.  We sit here on our couches or desks and almost rejoice that people are getting fired.  I guess we're kind of numb to it.

Edited by CooL, 31 December 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#43 scienergy

scienergy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'm numb to paying the Kansas City Chiefs organization any more of my hard earned money to watch them spend the last 25 years trying to find a franchise QB who can win a SINGLE GAME (Croyle went 0-10).  That's right folks, not since 1987 when I was merely 6 years old have the Chiefs had a drafted QB capable of winning a game.  It's time to stop using other people's trash FFS.

#44 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostCooL, on 31 December 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Adam Schefter on ESPN right now saying how we have to keep in mind that today is a sad day for a lot of families.  It affects the coaches' families and then all of the other families of the coordinators and staff that work under the now fired coach.  Not exactly how I'd want to start out my 2013.  We sit here on our couches or desks and almost rejoice that people are getting fired.  I guess we're kind of numb to it.

As you pointed out the ones it really affects is the underlying coaches, but not even the coordinators, its more about the position coaches.  The ones who aren't making millions of dollars a year.  You can get bet your bottom dollar that all these coaches have enough money to hold them over until they get a new gig.  It could be as a head coach, coordinator, college coach, ect...  This doesn't include the possibility of them going to TV.  

You look at a lot of these coaches, Crennel, Norv, Gailey, Lovie.  They shouldn't be out of work for too long.  Most of them will be back in the NFL in some capacity in the upcoming year and all should have some job within 2 years.

#45 mbroo5880i

mbroo5880i

'07 It's Madness Champ

• Established Members
  • 5,143 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostCooL, on 31 December 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

View Postpredator_05, on 31 December 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

Lovie fired after going 10-6? That's a strange move.

It's not his fault that the Bears suffered a rash of injuries, but all anyone will remember about this season is they started 7-1 and at one point were in the talks about representing the NFC in the Super Bowl.  Then once again a huge collapse.  Mike Tice didn't help matters.  The fact that the Bears offense is so predictable (throw to Marshall, handoff to Forte) didn't help matters.  It'll be interesting to see what direction they move in.

Chan Gailey getting canned.  CJ Spiller owners rejoice!  Gosh, I wish I had taken him in my draft instead of the idiots I chose.

Norv's last presser was pretty pathetic.  It looked like he had been crying.  He said something like "Well, it's not up to me....  I assume they will be looking for a new coach tomorrow."  How utterly pathetic but incredibly fitting for an overrated coach who has overstayed his welcome for several years now.

I understand what you are saying.  I  would never root a specific coach with a specific team to lose his job, or a player, for that matter.  I just watch the movements with interest and gauge first, how they will affect each franchise and second, possible fantasy implications.   While it is a sad day for coaches, I think that it can be particularly sad for assistant coaches because in many cases they are let go because of another man's failure or because of the whim of the owner.  However, these guys have been through the drill many times and know that it comes with the territory.  Unlike the average person, the majority of those losing jobs in the NFL today have a better than average chance of landing a similar position, just in a different city.

#46 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Jon Gruden's name getting thrown back in the mix.

#47 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,680 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostGottaGetTheWin, on 31 December 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Jon Gruden's name getting thrown back in the mix.

Good I would love to see him get a job so I dont have to listen to him on MNF anymore.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#48 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Whisenhunt still safe? What does he have compromising pictures of the Bidwells?

#49 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Nevermind.  Whiz ain't safe anymore

#50 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Soon it'll be time to play: Distract the Playoff Bound Coordinator!
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#51 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

I really don't think Kelly will make the jump and if he does I don't think it will be long until he goes back to the NCAA. He'll get his pay day, suck, and then be gone, like Saban.

People don't realize that in the NFL the playing field is level. There's a salary cap. In college there is no limit on how many 5 star recruits you can get. You can't do that in the NFL.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#52 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,267 posts
  • Interests:SF GIANTS, Niners, Warriors

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Whiz and Graves...GONE
"Any Given Pick Napa" 12-team Non-ppr Keeper League - Custom Scoring *2009, 2012, 2013 Champion*
2014 Keepers (Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, FJax)

#53 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostGottaGetTheWin, on 31 December 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Interesting here.  Any chance the Chiefs can get a Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden to come back?  Maybe Nick Saban although I don't know why on earth Saban would ever leave Alabama.

It always seemed to me that Bill Cowher was just chillin' around waiting for the Giants job to open up.  But Tom Coughlin keeps messing that up by winning a Super Bowl every time he's on the hot seat.

#54 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

View PostMrArmageddon, on 31 December 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

I really don't think Kelly will make the jump and if he does I don't think it will be long until he goes back to the NCAA. He'll get his pay day, suck, and then be gone, like Saban.

People don't realize that in the NFL the playing field is level. There's a salary cap. In college there is no limit on how many 5 star recruits you can get. You can't do that in the NFL.

Schiano's success has made college coaches 'popular' again.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#55 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,267 posts
  • Interests:SF GIANTS, Niners, Warriors

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

View Postpredator_05, on 31 December 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

Schiano's success?  What about Harbaugh?  And Carroll?
"Any Given Pick Napa" 12-team Non-ppr Keeper League - Custom Scoring *2009, 2012, 2013 Champion*
2014 Keepers (Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, FJax)

#56 phizzics

phizzics

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Is it really true? Norv Turner is finally gone?

Where did they find his last horcrux?

#57 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 24,830 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

View Postpredator_05, on 31 December 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

Not so much Schiano as much as Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh.

Saban wasn't that bad of a coach in the pros.  His problem stemmed from personnel decisions and I'm unsure how much he played into that.  Their drafts were poor and although he says he wanted Brees, they ultimately decided on Culpepper....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#58 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 24,830 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

View Postphizzics, on 31 December 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

Is it really true? Norv Turner is finally gone?

Where did they find his last horcrux?

It was Drew Brees' cheek mark.  It was destroyed by Brees is the QB that lived.....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#59 crusoe

crusoe

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostGottaGetTheWin, on 31 December 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

View Postpredator_05, on 31 December 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

I doubt that such a decorated college coach would go to one of the NFL's backwater franchises...

If the money is right....no matter where he goes he should be in line for a nice contract.

I gaurantee Oregon and Phil Knight would beat any NFL offer on the board if they needed to, so its a matter of winning for Kelly.  That gaurantees he won't go to Buffalo.

You should do some research on Oregon's recruiting.  They actually have very few 5 star recuits compared to the SEC teams, Florida teams, Texas teams, and USC.  Oregon is so good because everybody buys into the coach's scheme, which rests squarely on Kelly's shoulders.  I don't want to see Kelly go, but I gaurantee he will be sucessful in the NFL.

#60 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,680 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

View Postcrusoe, on 31 December 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

View PostGottaGetTheWin, on 31 December 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

View Postpredator_05, on 31 December 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

I doubt that such a decorated college coach would go to one of the NFL's backwater franchises...

If the money is right....no matter where he goes he should be in line for a nice contract.

I gaurantee Oregon and Phil Knight would beat any NFL offer on the board if they needed to, so its a matter of winning for Kelly.  That gaurantees he won't go to Buffalo.

You should do some research on Oregon's recruiting.  They actually have very few 5 star recuits compared to the SEC teams, Florida teams, Texas teams, and USC.  Oregon is so good because everybody buys into the coach's scheme, which rests squarely on Kelly's shoulders.  I don't want to see Kelly go, but I gaurantee he will be sucessful in the NFL.

The issue at Oregon isnt going to be money, its going to be where that NCAA investigation is leading.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users