Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Different Strategies, Which Do You Prefer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Which strategy do you use? (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Which strategy do you use?

1. Depth, plenty of balance filled with lesser players (34 votes [53.97%])

Percentage of vote: 53.97%

2. Star Power, load up on 2-3 top players leaving the rest as blah (10 votes [15.87%])

Percentage of vote: 15.87%

3. Cat Punts, load up on 4-5 cats to ensure you win every week (19 votes [30.16%])

Percentage of vote: 30.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kizzel

Kizzel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

In fantasy basketball there are plenty of different strategies. I would like to discuss a few, see which ones are the most popular.. Feel free to vote and then voice your opinion on why you selected the one you did.
30 Team H2H 8Cat Dynasty League
C - Dwight Howard
F - Josh Smith
F - Dirk Nowitzki
G - Mo Williams // Kirk Hinrich
G - Tony Allen // Patty Mills

#2 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

All three.

#3 Izanagi

Izanagi

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

If you look at my league settings in my sig,you'll see that i play in a different type of league compared to some of you guys.

I had bookend this year and i went BPA which was D-will and LMA.

Top tier PGs and Big men are worth a bit more than most wings(there are exceptions: LBJ,KD,Harden etc)

I do a mix of one and two
Saints,Pelicans,Sharks and Nationals Fan

#4 BareaFan

BareaFan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

I like to punt 4 cats and stack on 5. It works for me, but some people doesn't like it.If not, I always recommend punting FG%. A lot of people tend to underrate low FG% player, or players that jack up a lot of shots. They're a blackhole in real life, but, in fantasy, they're gold. Examples: Brandon Jennings, Bargnani, Kobe(yes, Kobe), Felton, Westbrook(although he's pretty high this year).And guess what? They're all high FT% players ;). You just gave up FG% to excel in FT%, 3s, and points. Your steals should also be above average.

Edited by BareaFan, 31 December 2012 - 03:21 PM.

Five Cat Stacking: FT%, 3s, Pts, Ast, Stl

10 Teams H2H Standard 9-Cats:
PG: Westbrook; Kyrie Irving; Jennings; Jameer Nelson; Jrue Holiday; Eric Bledsoe; Ramon Sessions
SG/SF: Bryant; Pierce; Jerryd Bayless; Danny Granger
PF/C: Kevin Garnett; Tiago Splitter

#5 markdash

markdash

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Didn't answer because the poll isn't specific enough. I prefer to punt 1-2 (not 4) categories, and if given the option I will choose "Stars & Jars" over a balanced roster, but these are dependent on the texture of the draft and the trading environment in the league. If the league is deep enough, there's little advantage to S&J over a balanced roster, in fact there could be a disadvantage since so much of your team is tied up in one player, and if that player gets hurt your team will suffer greatly.
"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
-G.K. Chesterton

"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its students."

#6 Nucker101

Nucker101

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

I only play in one league, a 9 cat h2h redraft auction. My strategy this year was to draft a deep team and get good value with each player and do my best not to get caught up in hype and bidding wars. I don't pay much attention to %'s, I prefer all my PG's t average at least 6 dimes with decent 3's and steals. From my SG/SF I want a good source of points, 3's and steals. From my bigs I want close to 8 boards+ and over a block per game(prefer about 1.3 or higher). I found that loading up on PG's and bigs that fit that criteria was the way to go, while drafting a guy like Iggy as a SG/SF since he provides the stats I want plus a good amount of assists almost like a PG. I also prefer to use one roster spot for streaming where I add players on a slow(non-busy) NBA gameday to plug into my lineup. It's worked out well for m so far at 8-1 despite owning guys like Granger(IR), Dragic, Mo-Will, Iggy, Hibbert and Lin who have really struggled(or been injured) at times throughout the season.

Edited by Nucker101, 31 December 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#7 earthtobrint

earthtobrint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Weird poll. These options aren't mutually exclusive and are very vague.

#8 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

I dont punt anything really. I just builld on my weaknesses by trading categories of strength on my team, creating a much more balanced team. Im always on the lookout to improve my teams weaknesses and that usually does good for me. Also i have a habit of loading up on big men then flipping the most elite one for a big haul.
[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#9 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

As far as that "punting" strategy, which is currently leading the poll, drafting your team with the intention of going 5-4 every week is not how you win fantasy championships.

#10 hifica

hifica

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

in H2H league, punt will win you championship, balanced strategy will get you higher seeding in regular season. remember it's impossible to build a team to have every cat better than your opponent and you don't know who you will play in playoff.

Edited by hifica, 31 December 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#11 Jmadtown

Jmadtown

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Although punting cats is fun, I'm more of a taxidermist, I prefer stuffing them.

Yahoo 12 Team Football- .5 PPR

Matt Ryan

DeMarco Murray

Lamar Miller

Demaryius Thomas

Keenan Allen

Jordan Cameron

Flex: Terrance Williams

Bench: Kelce, Reuben Randle, Benny Cunningham, Moreno, Ridley-Waivers Pending  :wacko: 

2012 Fantasy Baseball Champion-10 Team-H2H-5x5
2013 Fantasy Basketball Champion 10 Team-H2H-9-Cat
2013 Fantasy Baseball Champion-10 Team-H2H-5x5

2104 Fantasy Baseball Champion-14 Team-H2H-6x6

#12 BareaFan

BareaFan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

As far as that "punting" strategy, which is currently leading the poll, drafting your team with the intention of going 5-4 every week is not how you win fantasy championships.

That's true, but I think you get the highest possibility of winning with that strategy. There is no definite strategy to win you a championship, because luck is involved in it.
Five Cat Stacking: FT%, 3s, Pts, Ast, Stl

10 Teams H2H Standard 9-Cats:
PG: Westbrook; Kyrie Irving; Jennings; Jameer Nelson; Jrue Holiday; Eric Bledsoe; Ramon Sessions
SG/SF: Bryant; Pierce; Jerryd Bayless; Danny Granger
PF/C: Kevin Garnett; Tiago Splitter

#13 LuN

LuN

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Build a team of entirely top 50-ish players or top 50 while punting two cats (usually TO/FG%).

Take bigger risks the deeper you go into the draft. Don't pick the players who will get you a steady 90-110 ranking every year.

The home run picks that work out will be great..the ones that don't work out, you can drop for the inevitable gems that pop up.

Most of my team are:
- at least top 50-60
OR
- top 50-60 in the last 30 days
OR
- top 50-60 when you punt two cats

#14 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Most of my team are:
- at least top 50-60
OR
- top 50-60 in the last 30 days
OR
- top 50-60 when you punt two cats

I'm pretty sure any player on any of my teams would also be top 50 if you took away his two weakest cats. That's not very telling.

Last 30 days essentially means very little when talking about established players.

Your post comes across more as bragging than strategy discussion.

#15 posey_MVP

posey_MVP

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

i've been following this strategy for a few years now and it has work for me.. this is for 9 cat H2H leagues.. basically load up on point guards and power forwards.. it will help you build a solid team but sometimes you have to change your strategy to whom your playing against (especially in playoffs..). another key to success is working trades to help you build on your strengths.. not all trades will work out in your favor but you have to be willing to take risks..

"Essentially, the strategy involves loading up on guards who can score, dish, steal and hit 3-pointers (typically point guards) and big men who can score, rebound and block shots (typically power forwards). Fill around them with a few quality swingmen who can score, drain the 3 and create steals, along with a few centers who can bolster your rebounding and shot-blocking numbers, and you'll have yourself a well-rounded squad that can compete in categories across the board."

http://sports.espn.g...k2k13_blueprint

#16 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I only play daily h2h with 2 rebound cats and no TOs. I fully realize I'm in the minority but you can't win my league without punting, and I think any competitive H2h league forces you to punt something unless every single owner is going for balance. Actually, I think that makes punting even more appealing.

I'll never understand how you guys draft balance across 9 cats in your leagues. It's just not possible with the guys in my league.

I think the most astute answer is that your strategy should depend a lot of who else you play with and how they intend to craft their rosters. Be flexible, but don't be afraid to punt.
10 team H2H (PTS, 3s, FG%, FT%, OREB, DREB, AST, STL, BLK), PG-G-G-F-F-C-UTILx3

#17 KeyboardHero

KeyboardHero

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I only play daily h2h with 2 rebound cats and no TOs. I fully realize I'm in the minority but you can't win my league without punting, and I think any competitive H2h league forces you to punt something unless every single owner is going for balance. Actually, I think that makes punting even more appealing.

I'll never understand how you guys draft balance across 9 cats in your leagues. It's just not possible with the guys in my league.

I think the most astute answer is that your strategy should depend a lot of who else you play with and how they intend to craft their rosters. Be flexible, but don't be afraid to punt.

I personally agree punting/stacking is the most reliable route to take when drafting or building a team. But I think winning with a well balanced roster is quite possible, just significantly more difficult and much more unreliable.