Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

advice for league payout problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 hey_ahab

hey_ahab

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

i'm the commissioner of a 12-team work league that just finished its sixth season. given that we've never had a problem with anything, owners don't pay their $100 league fees until right before our playoffs start.

before week 10, one of the owners was fired, and he pretty much disappeared. between weeks 10 and 14, he didn't make any roster moves. as such, the consensus among the other owners was that the guy wasn't going to pay, but it didn't seem like a big deal because in order for him to win money, he needed about 500 things go his way. we figured the only ramification was that the league would finish $100 short.

and then those 500 things went right. the guy didn't just make the playoffs, he also won the championship and is now in line to collect almost $700. he started making roster moves again in week 15, which was when our playoffs began. in addition, our prediction was correct: he didn't pay his fee.

the remaining league members are divided as to what should be done, and they've left the decision up to me. while i think we have to bite the bullet and pay the guy his winnings, i'm wondering how other people would handle the situation. thanks for your help.

Edited by hey_ahab, 31 December 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#2 Armalite

Armalite

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Pay the man.

Edit: he didn't pay the fee, so if it was stipulated that you HAVE to pay the fee by this time, then don't pay him.

Edited by Armalite, 31 December 2012 - 02:28 PM.

20 TEAM PPR IDP LEAGUE, Sex Grossman's Cannon
QB) Joe Flacco, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles
RB) Eddie Lacy, Shonn Greene, Bernard Pierce, Ronnie Hillman, Jerrick McKinnon, Lorenzo Taliaferro
WR) Keenan Allen, Torrey Smith, Roddy White, Denard Robinson, Robert Woods
TE) Jordan Cameron, Larry Donell
K) Blair Walsh
DEF) Houston Texans
DB) Harrison Smith
DL) Rob Ninkovich
LB) Paul Worrilow

#3 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Pay the man less his $100 fee. And change the rules for next year to avoid the same problem from happening again.

#4 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,439 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#5 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Yeah I agree with Hippie. Just give him everything he would get minus his original fee. It is a tough situation, but the guy did win, regardless of how it happened. And I agree that next season you should implement a payment deadline. You will just have to take off the "pal" pants and put on the commish pants.
RW Mock Draft Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, 6pt all TDs

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Matt Forte, Trent Richardson,
DeAngelo Williams, Stepfan Taylor, Shaun Draughn
WR: Pierre Garçon, Larry Fitzgerald, Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson
W/R/T: T.Y. Hilton, Mike Evans
TE: Vernon Davis,
Antonio Gates
DEF: Denver D/ST
K: Stephen Gostkowski

Any Given Pick League (Friends): 11-team non-PPR, Running point total, 10pt all TDs, 10 point bonus at 100 yds rush/rec or 300 yards passing, Can keep up to three players drafted 9th round or later for 4 years after draft (* = keepers prior to draft)

QB: Nick Foles
RB: Eddie Lacy, Arian Foster, Lamar Miller, Fred Jackson*, Terrance West
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones*, Cordarelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Josh Gordon*
Flex: Percy Harvin
TE: Kyle Rudolph
DEF: Cincy D/ST
K: Crosby

#6 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Great movie!

Antonio Gates

Any Given Pick League (Friends): 11-team non-PPR, Running point total, 10pt all TDs, 10 point bonus at 100 yds rush/rec or 300 yards passing, Can keep up to three players drafted 9th round or later for 4 years after draft (* = keepers prior to draft)

WR: Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones*, Cordarelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Josh Gordon*

#7 hey_ahab

hey_ahab

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

thanks for the responses. like i said, i don't see any alternative but to pay him. it's just frustrating knowing he would've had no problem shortchanging everyone if he hadn't won money.

#8 Armalite

Armalite

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

thanks for the responses. like i said, i don't see any alternative but to pay him. it's just frustrating knowing he would've had no problem shortchanging everyone if he hadn't won money.

Give him the boot and get someone else to replace him next year.
20 TEAM PPR IDP LEAGUE, Sex Grossman's Cannon
QB) Joe Flacco, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles
RB) Eddie Lacy, Shonn Greene, Bernard Pierce, Ronnie Hillman, Jerrick McKinnon, Lorenzo Taliaferro
WR) Keenan Allen, Torrey Smith, Roddy White, Denard Robinson, Robert Woods
TE) Jordan Cameron, Larry Donell
K) Blair Walsh
DEF) Houston Texans
DB) Harrison Smith
DL) Rob Ninkovich
LB) Paul Worrilow

#9 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,439 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yea, unfortunately that's on you (the league). If you would have had a deadline for payment before the season then this isn't an issue. Can't penalize someone for something you think they're going to do in the future. Live and learn, I guess.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#10 jcboston21

jcboston21

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'd say pay him less the $100 and institute a pay by date. The commish in my league locks your team after week 5 if we don't pay. Changes your password until you pay

#11 Seether

Seether

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Pay him minus the $100 fee and boot him from the league. OR get everyones $100 upfront so you don't get this issue next year.
8 Man, $300 Buy in winner take all Redraft 2 Keeper League NON PPR Record - 0/0

QB - Matthew Stafford / Nick Foles
RB - Jamaal Charles / Arian Foster / Andre Ellington / Shane Vereen
WR - AJ Green / Julio Jones / Alshon Jeffery / DeSean Jackson / Markus Wheaton / Josh Gordon
TE - Kyle Rudolph
K - Mason Crosby
DST - Denver Broncos

We Start the following lineups:
1 QB
2 RB's
2 WR's
1 Flex (RB/Wr)
1 TE
1 K
1 DST

#12 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

through the years especially in football Ive found that its best to collect ahead of time. The other thing too is if you get controversy and people havent paid, it gets even worse.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#13 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

so was this guy "fired" or not? it seems he went MIA from reading this story and that the league did not all say "Ok, he's out".

If he was "fired" by the group, well, group decision....if he only did nothing with his roster and you all thought he left...pay him
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#14 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

so was this guy "fired" or not? it seems he went MIA from reading this story and that the league did not all say "Ok, he's out".

If he was "fired" by the group, well, group decision....if he only did nothing with his roster and you all thought he left...pay him

No I think when the guy mentioned "fired," he was fired from work. He had mentioned this was a league amongst coworkers, and so once this guy got fired (I am assuming from their job) he no longer cared for his team much until week 15.

Antonio Gates

#15 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

You have to pay him without his $100, but make a payment deadline next year and say that if you don't pay by whatever date, then you won't be eligible for the money. It would avoid future issues like this from ever coming up.
Bring back Ray!

#16 Rush2112

Rush2112

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 56,777 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

Pay him less and change all the rules to make them all more stricter in 2013.

Edited by Rush2112, 31 December 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#17 hey_ahab

hey_ahab

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

the owners are all people i work with; i've known each of them for at least six years and we see each other every day (which is why we don't have strict rules regarding fee payment). the guy i'm talking about got fired from his actual job, and no one's heard from him since. the issue isn't about his roster, but rather that if he hadn't won he wouldn't have paid the fee.

again, i appreciate the replies.

#18 BlueDevils22

BlueDevils22

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Id pay him eventually, Id certainly take my time with it though.

#19 lawilt

lawilt

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

u could have just replaced him in the playoffs for the next time that would have gotten in to avoid this
16 Team Dynasty/Keeper League(8 Keepers)
QB, 2RB, 2WR, RB/WR, TE, DEF, K, 7 Bench spots
QB: Ben Roethlisbeger, Kirk Cousins
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Andre Ellington, Christine Michael, V Ballard, Latavius Murray, Jordan Todman, Edwin Baker
WR: Antonio Brown, Demaryius Thomas, Greg Jennings, Aldrick Robinson, Jeremy Kerley
TE: Jimmy Graham
Def: Seahwaks
K:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 Team Dynasty League
QB and any 9 combination of RB, WR, TE
QB: Romo, Alex Smith
RB: Jamal Charles, Forte, Andre Ellington, DeAngelo, Kenjon Barner, Edwin Baker, Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings
WR: Antonio Brown, Demaryius Thomas, Hakeem Nicks, James Jones, Andre Holmes, Lance Moore, Aldrick Robinson
TE: Dennis Pitta, Brent Celek, Fasano
Def: Browns, Rams

#20 bacon6966

bacon6966

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Co-workers or not you need to have a strict deadline for payments and what not. This situation should make it clear that payments should be due well before playoffs or even before the draft. Personally I would have no issue not paying him and would allocate payments as seen fit (i.e. first place prize money to guy who finished in 2nd place, 2nd place money to guy who finished in 3rd place and so on).

His roster also should have been locked when he decided not to pay.