Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Ben Zobrist 2013 Outlook2B/SS/OF brings good versatility and value.

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,538 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Ben Zobrist is one of the more under rated players in the game.  I think he's one of the better bargains on draft day.

4 of the last 5 years Zobrist has put up an .822 OPS or better.  I see him to continue doing so.

#2 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

You his agent or a family member?  Sure, he is a very solid player but I don't think it's a secret to most of us.

#3 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostRob_P, on 31 December 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

You his agent or a family member?  Sure, he is a very solid player but I don't think it's a secret to most of us.

I agree with OP though. he is a very underrated and underappreciated player.

he is SS eligible this year too. yes please.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#4 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Ya convinced me.  Feel like I must have him now.   I will say the SS eligibility is nice.

#5 Jmadtown

Jmadtown

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

What round do you think he will go in? I got him in the 6th in a 10 teamer last year, if memory serves.

Edited by Jmadtown, 31 December 2012 - 10:36 PM.

Yahoo 14 Team 6x6-Scoring-R/H/RBI/SB/BB/AVG-W/L/IP/K/ERA/Saves-Redraft
C:  Mesoraco
1B: Jose Abreu
2B: Dustin Pedroia
SS: Ben Zobrist
3B: Miguel Cabrera
OF: Yasiel Puig, Jose Bautista, Starling Marte
UT: Matt Holiday
Bench: Morse, Jon Singleton, Erick Aybar
SP: James Shields, Johnny Cueto, Chris Archer, Yovani Gallardo
Yordano Ventura, Iwakuma, Elias, Odorizzi
RP: Glen Perkins, Z. Britton

2012 Fantasy Baseball Champion-10 Team-H2H-5x5
2013 Fantasy Basketball Champion 10 Team-H2H-9-Cat
2013 Fantasy Baseball Champion-10 Team-H2H-5x5

#6 chowder35

chowder35

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

in h2h he's money. zobrist is so consistent week to week.
2013 "Dusty Two-Sacks" H2H Fantasy Baseball (Keep 4)

C- Yadier Molina
1B- Kendrys Morales
2B- Chase Utley
SS- Nick Franklin (Asdrubal Cabrera)
3B- Ryan Zimmerman (k)
MI- Jedd Gyorko
CI- Josh Donaldson
OF- Shin-Soo Choo, Nate McLouth, Nelson Cruz (Daniel Nava, Rajai Davis)
U- Eric Young, Michael Saunders

Minors- Xander Bogaerts

SP- Adam Wainwright, Matt Harvey, Doug Fister, Gerrit Cole
RP- Edward Mujica, Glen Perkins, Addison Reed, Kenley Jansen, Koji Uehara

DL- Jake Peavy, Kyle Blanks

#7 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,538 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostJmadtown, on 31 December 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

What round do you think he will go in? I got him in the 6th in a 10 teamer last year, if memory serves.

Well, I'm thinking he's going to be one of those guys with a sporadic ADP.  Somewhere between the late 5th and the late 7th round.

The way to key him is you know that Tulo, Jose Reyes, Hanley, Castro, and possibly even Elvis Andrus will be off the board before you have to jump on Zobrist.

#8 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostFouLLine, on 01 January 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

View PostJmadtown, on 31 December 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

Well, I'm thinking he's going to be one of those guys with a sporadic ADP.  Somewhere between the late 5th and the late 7th round.

The way to key him is you know that Tulo, Jose Reyes, Hanley, Castro, and possibly even Elvis Andrus will be off the board before you have to jump on Zobrist.

I think his ADP was around the fifth/sixth last year, but I'm hoping its going to be a little later this year. Zobrist is a safe player. which may lead him to fall a little during the draft because we all know how people love the upside players, but by picking zobrist you know hes going to get you 15 homers 15 steals a decent average, runs, and rbis. Also the Rays offense should be better this year if they can stay healthy.
No Days Off

#9 cmm06h

cmm06h

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

I was just in a draft where Zobrist was taken in the 4th round of a 12 team 5x5 h2h league. And in most mocks he's going in the 5th round. I think folks are recognizing his value. What's the earliest most of you would take him?
12 team, 5x5, h2h

C- Wilin Rosario
1B - Paul Goldschmidt
2B - Aaron Hill
3B - Evan Longoria
SS - Ben Zobrist
OF - Kole Calhoun
OF - Melky Cabrera
OF - Shin Soo Choo
OF - Yangervis Solarte
UT - David Ortiz
BE - Devin Mesoraco

SP - James Shields, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Sonny Gray, Drew Hutchison, Erik Bedard, Gavin Floyd
RP - Grant Balfour
BE - Drew Smyly, Julio Teheran, Ian Kennedy, Dallas Keuchel, Matt Cain
DL - Derek Holland

#10 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postcmm06h, on 03 March 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

I was just in a draft where Zobrist was taken in the 4th round of a 12 team 5x5 h2h league. And in most mocks he's going in the 5th round. I think folks are recognizing his value. What's the earliest most of you would take him?

I'm not taking him in the 5th round.  He doesn't offer that insane upside appeal.  I must admit he does have some upside and has had a few very good seasons and was had at the cost of a waiver pick up in those years.

If he's there in the 7th or later I'd jump all over it.  But no way in the 4th or 5th round for me.

#11 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostPRoSPx, on 03 March 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

View Postcmm06h, on 03 March 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

I'm not taking him in the 5th round.  He doesn't offer that insane upside appeal.  I must admit he does have some upside and has had a few very good seasons and was had at the cost of a waiver pick up in those years.

If he's there in the 7th or later I'd jump all over it.  But no way in the 4th or 5th round for me.

Why does he need insane upside? He has a pretty solid floor/ Across the stat board contributor and is eligible at the 2 most scarce positions.

#12 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Given the depth at 2B/SS, Zobrist is absolute gold this year especially in head to head.  He is not sexy by any means but very solid all around.
www. drafttracker.net

#13 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Got him for my SS at pick 66 in a ten team league. Was a mid Feb draft though.

#14 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

He's pretty valuable at SS in a Brandon Phillips kind of way. Your not going to necessarily love the ride all season, but you will look up and see solid numbers across the board from the middle infield.

One thing I do worry about is how much he's going to run, he is trending down the last few years and last year he was down to 14 steals and 9 caught.  If he's a 10 steal guy that hurts a bit when a lot of people percieve him as a 20/20 guy.  

How do you guys compare him to Castro/Desmond/Rollins?

Also, to Brandon Phillips/Aaron Hill/Jason Kipnis?  I feel like this whole cluster of MI is a crap shoot for trying to rank them.

Edited by Wombat, 04 March 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#15 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'd take him over any of Castro/Desmond/Rollins no question. I have him ranked as my #2 SS and #3 2B. Top 25 OF too

#16 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

He's not amazing, but he's great to have especially with his position elg.  If he gives me 15 70 and 15sb with a 260 hitting, I'm fine with that; and that's being VERY conservative.
20 team keeper H2H (took over the team), standard Yahoo.  Keepers below.  NA's get put into NA slots (5 max)
C:  d'Arnaud 1B: Lind 2B: Miller SS: Forsythe 3B: Manny Machado OF: Stanton OF: Springer OF: Harper
Util: Salty Bench: Willingham, Suarez, Pena DL: Owings, Myers NA: Solarte Baez (NA)
SP: Strasburg SP: Price RP: Motte RP: Broxton P: Stroman, Storen, Tazawa, Petricka, Santiago, Kendrick DL:Pineda NA:Meyer
Trades: 1) Taijuan Walker and 5th rounder for Ryu and 4th rounder 2) Heyward, Hosmer, Bailey for Ellsbury 3) Abreu for Harper and Lind 6) Soria, Shelby Miller and round 6 pick for Strasburg and 7th rounder 7)  Ellsbury and 3rd rounder for Springer and 1st rounder 8) Francisco, Allen, 7th rounder for 5th rounder 9) Rosenthal and Ryu for Price

Money league Roto
C- Carlos Sant 1B) Abreu 2b) Altuve 3b) E5 SS) Rollins OF- McCutch, Jones, Harper Util- Gardner, Cron Bench: NA: Bryant SPs:  Strasburg, Verlander, Ventura, Hudson, Samardzija, Duffy, Cain, Lester, Walker, Stroman RPs:  Reed Doolittle Papelbon Trades: 1) Joey Bats and Panda for E5 and Werth 2) Morse for RA Dickey 3) Soria for Garza 4) Braun and Mesoraco for McCutch and McCann 5) Werth for Homer Bailey and Gardner 6) Cain for Kemp 7) Hill for Samardzija 8)  Melky, Hosmer, Sale for Strasberg and JUp 9) Garza and Miller for Verlander 10) Balfour for LaRoche 11) Bourn for Soriano 12) Kemp for Lester and Cain 13) JUp, LaRoche, Chisenballs for Adam Jones

#17 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,825 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostWombat, on 04 March 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

He's pretty valuable at SS in a Brandon Phillips kind of way. Your not going to necessarily love the ride all season, but you will look up and see solid numbers across the board from the middle infield.

One thing I do worry about is how much he's going to run, he is trending down the last few years and last year he was down to 14 steals and 9 caught.  If he's a 10 steal guy that hurts a bit when a lot of people percieve him as a 20/20 guy.  

Pretty good analysis.  Pretty streaky guy (even beyond the normal baseball player) and he can be absolutely frustrating but he's been fairly consistent since his breakout (except for 2010's BA0.  If you're in a OBP% or BB league, he's absolute gold when coupled with his positional eligibility.  His value, especially in deeper H2H leagues, can belie his gross numbers.  Nice guy to have on the roster but he will drive you batty some weeks....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#18 CM52

CM52

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Zobrist has been called underrated so many times the last few years he's probably overrated.

#19 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Love this guy, totally worth a 4th round pick. Went yard already.

#20 phillyloveslee

phillyloveslee

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostiAugust, on 04 March 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

I'd take him over any of Castro/Desmond/Rollins no question. I have him ranked as my #2 SS and #3 2B. Top 25 OF too
I love Zobrist, but you clearly overvalue him. #2 SS means you like him more than Reyes and Hanley (post-injury, maybe, but I still think Hanley will put up better numbers), and more than Kinsler??? That's just crazy. Kinsler's floor is higher than Zobrist's ceiling. Now I can understand if you think he has more value at his spot than these guys, but there is no way anyone can have him ranked that high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users