Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Carl Crawford 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
344 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Ever since Crawford signed his big contract with the Red Sox, it's been all downhill for the talented lefty. He was starting to show signs of coming out of his 2 year slump before undergoing his TJ surgery in August. With a change of scenery, is it possible for the 31 year old former speedster to resurrect his career?
Bring back Ray!

#2 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

when is he supposed to be back? I know position players don't miss as much time as pitchers with TJ, but hard to believe he'll be back in the first month or two.

he really only had the 1 bad year. as you said, he was hitting last year before having surgery. presumably, he's been able to keep his legs in good shape and there shouldn't be any residual effects. Dodgers don't have a leadoff hitter so the opportunity is there.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#3 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

when is he supposed to be back? I know position players don't miss as much time as pitchers with TJ, but hard to believe he'll be back in the first month or two.

he really only had the 1 bad year. as you said, he was hitting last year before having surgery. presumably, he's been able to keep his legs in good shape and there shouldn't be any residual effects. Dodgers don't have a leadoff hitter so the opportunity is there.

I don't think he'll miss much time unless he has a setback. By the time the season starts, he'll be around 7 months out of surgery. Hitters usually don't take as long to come back from it, so that may be enough time to get him back on the field on Opening Day.
Bring back Ray!

#4 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Dodgers GM Ned Colletti said Monday that Carl Crawford (elbow) should be ready by Opening Day.
Crawford underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in late August. The recovery period for pitchers who undergo that procedure is around 12-15 months, but position players do not need as much time. Source: Bill Shaikin on Twitter Nov. 12 - 7:32 pm et

This was a few months ago. I'm expecting him to be ready in April some time.
4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#5 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

definitely intriguing then. I suspect enough people have been burned by him that he might slip through the cracks.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#6 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,856 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

He could have some value. Maybe getting traded will be a little bit of a wake up call to him. I mean he can't really get much worse fantasy wise then he has been the last two years.
No Days Off

#7 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

His entire value depends on his wheels. I doubt he will show more power than he did in TB with the spacious parks in the NL West (SF, LA, SD). To be honest, I think Victorino puts up better numbers, and can be gotten later.

#8 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

His entire value depends on his wheels. I doubt he will show more power than he did in TB with the spacious parks in the NL West (SF, LA, SD). To be honest, I think Victorino puts up better numbers, and can be gotten later.

You are probably right about Victornio. But Crawford just has far more upside. Which makes him the "sexier" pick. Therefore you'll have to take Crawford many rounds ahead of Victorino.

#9 fremaochris

fremaochris

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

I'm expecting him to be ready in April some time.Posted Image

#10 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

I think Crawford, Hanley will be somewhat symbolic of the Dodgers season. If this "Dream Team" massive amounts of money works and this team wins 100+ games I think it will be because of huge years out of Crawford, Hanley, A Gone, Kemp etc.

If the thing goes in the tank, its likely these guys not producing is the reason.

If you are buying on the Dodgers, I think you are buying on Crawford, if you think this thing is heading for epic disaster then you are probably not interested in him.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#11 OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I guess my biggest question regarding Crawford is where will he be hitting in the lineup? Roto guide seems to have him hitting 7th. I don't like him there at all. Kinda feel like he needs to hit either lead off or in the 2 hole to have a good amount of upside. Anyone have any updated information on this matter?

Edited by OrangeCrush, 18 February 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#12 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

I guess my biggest question regarding Crawford is where will he be hitting in the lineup? Roto guide seems to have him hitting 7th. I don't like him there at all. Kinda feel like he needs to hit either lead off or in the 2 hole to have a good amount of upside. Anyone have any updated information on this matter?

I'm hoping it looks like this:

Ellis
Crawford
Gonzalez
Kemp
Hanley
Ethier
Cruz
Ellis
Pitcher
Bring back Ray!

#13 OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

I haven't done many mock drafts yet but I wondering where his ADP is in 10 man leagues at the moment. I def see some value if he is in fact hitting in the top half of the order.

#14 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

mark ellis wont last at leadoff.

#15 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I haven't done many mock drafts yet but I wondering where his ADP is in 10 man leagues at the moment. I def see some value if he is in fact hitting in the top half of the order.

Don't know if this is typical or not but in my ten team draft he went 14-4, which I think is a great value if he stays healthy for the year. Also, we start 5 outfielders.

Edited by An Old Hippie, 18 February 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#16 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

I think he is a great late round flier and he went in the 17th round (10 team 3 OF) in my leagues draft. He could provide some good value, as it seems like alot of people forgot about him, but that may change as all these experts hype up all their "sleepers".
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#17 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

I remember his first year after Boston, I wrote him several angry twitter rants. He was worthless. With a "new lease on life" however, and in a solid line-up, and in an effort to spite me, I imagine he'll have a nice bounce back year. Yup, rock solid analysis there.

#18 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Well... that didn't take long. Hopefully nothing serious, but hate to see these sorts of reports so early.

@kengurnick
Carl Crawford has forearm tightness in what appears to be a mild setback after elbow surgery.
https://twitter.com/...172772424077314

@truebluela
Carl Crawford has forearm tightness, will be held out of BP & throwing today. Mattingly called it more a pause than setback

Edited by Orion Braun, 28 February 2013 - 12:09 PM.

No one cares about my teams...

#19 rdubs23

rdubs23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think Crawford, Hanley will be somewhat symbolic of the Dodgers season. If this "Dream Team" massive amounts of money works and this team wins 100+ games I think it will be because of huge years out of Crawford, Hanley, A Gone, Kemp etc.

If the thing goes in the tank, its likely these guys not producing is the reason.

If you are buying on the Dodgers, I think you are buying on Crawford, if you think this thing is heading for epic disaster then you are probably not interested in him.

I just saw this and had to comment.

Who would've guessed that if your 4 highest paid players completely tank, that the season will be a failure, and if they all play very well, the team will do well? Someone sign this guy up as a GM!

Edited by rdubs23, 28 February 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#HANCHISE

#20 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Another update on Crawford from a Dodgers beat writer:

@kengurnick

Carl Crawford is down for a week after a setback with his repaired elbow. Don Mattingly said Opening Day is a "challenge."

No one cares about my teams...