Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Kyle Seager 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Seager very quietly put up 20 homers, 86 rbi's, and 13 steals last year to pair with a decent triple slash of .259/.316/.423. He flew under the radar for all of last year, and not many people paid attention to him. He still isn't a very talked about player, but he could really surprise people this year. I don't know what his ADP is, but I'm guessing it isn't very high. Can Seager keep up the solid numbers this year?
Bring back Ray!

#2 myzto

myzto

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

From some of the Mariner fans I talk to, alot of belief in Seager is the real deal. I don't think 30 homers as a ceiling is out ofthe question. In my league he has 2B and 3B elgibility, which ups his value a bit on my eyes. 18 games at 2B last season. His power was even pre and post all star. But keep in mind that he hit only 5 homers at safeco last year and only 26 of his RBI's came at home. He did steal 10 bases at home. I think his ceiling is high, but my recommendation is if you want to win your fantasy league, you don't employ Seattle Mariners on it.

#3 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Watching MLB network today they were talking about the M's and he is listed as their 3-hitter. Definetly a guy who will be undervalued fantasy wise, especially in leagues where he is 3B only (20 games or more elig) maybe in leagues where he is a 2B with smart owners he will be a very well known commodity.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#4 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Long-term wise, will Seager be a permanent 3B or will Ackley be eventually moved to the OF?

#5 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

I have heard he may be on the move to the Dodgers in a deal for Ethier and Capuano. Nothing confirmed yet though. I think he will be a guy that is better in real life than in fantasy. He had 3 straight months of sub .700 OPS`last season, struggles vs. lefties and Safeco ate him up. A change of scenary may do him some good being surrounded by better talent, all that said I think last year may be as good as it gets for him counting stat wise, although his average could stablize in his prime.

#6 hasonmare

hasonmare

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

I think his ceiling is high, but my recommendation is if you want to win your fantasy league, you don't employ Seattle Mariners on it.Posted Image

#7 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

I have heard he may be on the move to the Dodgers in a deal for Ethier and Capuano. Nothing confirmed yet though. I think he will be a guy that is better in real life than in fantasy. He had 3 straight months of sub .700 OPS`last season, struggles vs. lefties and Safeco ate him up. A change of scenary may do him some good being surrounded by better talent, all that said I think last year may be as good as it gets for him counting stat wise, although his average could stablize in his prime.

If he gets out of Seattle that would boost his value dramatically.

#8 myzto

myzto

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Long-term wise, will Seager be a permanent 3B or will Ackley be eventually moved to the OF?

Long term he's the 3B solution. Ackley is the 2B basemen. Ackley's defense is really quite good and it could of just been local reporters hyping their own, but some gold glove talk with how he performed defensively. Also, Mariners do not have any big prospects on the mend at 3B, and if they did they wouldn't pan out either.

#9 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,090 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Long term he's the 3B solution. Ackley is the 2B basemen. Ackley's defense is really quite good and it could of just been local reporters hyping their own, but some gold glove talk with how he performed defensively. Also, Mariners do not have any big prospects on the mend at 3B, and if they did they wouldn't pan out either.

Seager's no slouch with the glove either but he has a better arm than Ackley.

#10 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

The fences moving in and the new lineup protection of Morse and Morales should do this kid some wonders.

#11 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Is the 20 Homers sustainable? He hit 20 homers while only having a 9.8 HR/FB ratio
No Days Off

#12 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Is the 20 Homers sustainable? He hit 20 homers while only having a 9.8 HR/FB ratio

I don't see why not. Another year older, fences moved in, more than sustainable HR/FB ratio.

#13 Big Tuna

Big Tuna

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

really like him as a cheap CI

#14 Jericho

Jericho

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Got "stuck" with him in my league. It's a keeper/mini-dynasty and 11 3Bs were kept (Encarnacio was my 3B last year and he's no longer eligible). I basically sat on the positionthe whole draft as I was not enamorated with any of the leftovers. Considering what was available and how late I got him, I'm reasonably happy. I do think he's undervalued as he does a little bit of everything with no obvious holes. Other than the fact he plays in Seattle, seems like a decent player.

#15 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

if he puts up the same numebrs as last year, I'm happy

If he does so with a higher batting avg and ups the HR to 25, I'm very happy

If he Mike Trouts it (lol), I'll be trading him for a teams first three round draft picks
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#16 Bud C. Lick Lite

Bud C. Lick Lite

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

For anyone watching this guy, does he at least have some hard hit balls? Wasn't expecting BA but no power or SB yet has me concerned.

#17 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

For anyone watching this guy, does he at least have some hard hit balls? Wasn't expecting BA but no power or SB yet has me concerned.

I watch him every night and no, he's looked awful...

He had one nice game in Oakland during the opneing series, other than that - lazy pop fly after lazy pop fly. Just to make sure I wasn't lying to you I checked out fangraphs - and yup, like every other young M's player from their system so far this year - horrible. He's rocking a 8% LD%.

I do like him though - he's a good ball player in real life, I don't think he'll match last years fantasy output. Especially the RBIs and HRs. His Home/road splits are RIDICULOUS!

#18 Bud C. Lick Lite

Bud C. Lick Lite

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:56 AM

I watch him every night and no, he's looked awful...

He had one nice game in Oakland during the opneing series, other than that - lazy pop fly after lazy pop fly. Just to make sure I wasn't lying to you I checked out fangraphs - and yup, like every other young M's player from their system so far this year - horrible. He's rocking a 8% LD%.

I do like him though - he's a good ball player in real life, I don't think he'll match last years fantasy output. Especially the RBIs and HRs. His Home/road splits are RIDICULOUS!

Thanks, good to know it just isn't a case of a guy having hard hit balls land in gloves or in foul territory. I remember he was streaky last year and was hoping that with a year under his belt and with Safeco moving in the fences he could at least duplicate last year's numbers. Maybe he will, but I'll take the chance he doesn't hit like a monster over the next few days on the waiver wire.

#19 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

Man this is getting brutal. Normally I wouldn't panic but this is a player with not much of a track record.

Baseball and football are very different games. In a way, both of them are easy. Football is easy if you're crazy as hell. Baseball is easy if you've got patience. They'd both be easier for me if I were a little more crazy and a little more patient. ~ Bo Jackson

#20 Sprayy

Sprayy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

Yeah the problem I'm having is I'd have to drop him in order to get another 2B. So i'm stuck with him for now.
12 team 5x5 rotoworld, year 2/4
C: Wilson Ramos
1B: Prince Fielder
2B: Kolton Wong
SS: Jason Villar
3B: Josh Donaldson
OF: Carlos Gonzalez
OF: Jason Heyward
OF: Alex Rios
UTIL: Kyle Seager

Bench: , Adam Lind, Rajai Davis

SP: Jordan Zimmerman, Chris Archer, Ervin Santna, Marcus Stroman, Trevor Bauer
RP: , Tommy Hunter, Zach Britton, Matt Lindstrom, Sean Doolittle, Jim Johnson, Jennry Mejia, Bryan Shaw, Ernesto Frieri

DL: Mark Trumbo, Jason Kipnis,
RIP Jose Fernandez, Matt Moore