Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Alcides Escobar 2013 OutlookSpeedy SS sleeper.

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hit .293 and stole 35 bases last year.  KC's lineup should be even better this year.  He should also be hitting at the top of the order either #1 or #2 this year instead of #8 and #9 where he hit for a good portion of last season.

Edited by PRoSPx, 03 January 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#2 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

this is a guy I am checking out for a steal. a value steal. get him after the elite guys and big name guys are gone to give you some good numbers.

#3 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,531 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

If you spend cap money or high picks on guys who dont steal bases and need value and SB at SS, this guy is a really good option.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#4 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Plus he'll only be 26.

#5 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,649 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

This is a guy to target. The SS position doesn't have many stars without question marks. Alcides is a very good player that no one has heard of or noticed last year. It's worth the wait to pick up Alcides.
Bring back Ray!

#6 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

What's really so good about him? My league has extra cats (OBP, SLG) so he's not as valuable in my league perhaps but other than SB, I don't really see anything great. Low runs last year.....am I missing something?

#7 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,649 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostTravis Burten, on 31 January 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

What's really so good about him? My league has extra cats (OBP, SLG) so he's not as valuable in my league perhaps but other than SB, I don't really see anything great. Low runs last year.....am I missing something?

He has great speed, a solid average, is a consistent presence at a thin position filled with question marks (Tulo's injury past, Jeter's coming off injury, Hanley's numbers have been decreasing for a few years), and bats near the top of what should be a solid lineup.
Bring back Ray!

#8 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 31 January 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

He has great speed, a solid average, is a consistent presence at a thin position filled with question marks (Tulo's injury past, Jeter's coming off injury, Hanley's numbers have been decreasing for a few years), and bats near the top of what should be a solid lineup.

I don't know...68 runs-5HR-52 RBI isn't that great. Unless of course, everyone's projecting him to hit .300+ with 100+ runs and 30+ bases, then I guess the HR/RBI don't really matter.

#9 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

The reason he's so valuable is because he brings 30-40 sb potential at a position where you want your speed to come from. You're willing to take 70-5-50 from a ss if he also brings 35 sb's and a .290+ batting average.

#10 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

His K rate rose 3% last year, and his already bad walk rate was equally bad to his previous seasons.  You don't like to see the K rate go up that much for a young player who is already a free swinger.  He got really lucky with balls in play last year .344, compared to his career average of .303.  Not sure we really see much of an improvement, infact his average probably goes down this year, unless he learns to cut his K rate and improve his BB rate somewhat.  In non OBP leagues if you do not want to draft a SS high he is a good guy to target later for his SB's.

#11 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

It's less what's so good about him and more ugh, no sure thing at shortstop. Question marks for nearly every player at the position. Alcides won't kill your average and he helps with the stolen bases. Were shortstop a deep position he wouldn't be worth much. But it's not. And so we're stuck with a guy who won't murder most or your ratios being an asset.

He's not my favorite late round shortstop pick, but I'd be okay if I got stuck with the kid. There are some concerns about him but concerns come with most shortstops.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#12 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,538 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostCmilne23, on 31 January 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

His K rate rose 3% last year, and his already bad walk rate was equally bad to his previous seasons.  You don't like to see the K rate go up that much for a young player who is already a free swinger.  He got really lucky with balls in play last year .344, compared to his career average of .303.  Not sure we really see much of an improvement, infact his average probably goes down this year, unless he learns to cut his K rate and improve his BB rate somewhat.  In non OBP leagues if you do not want to draft a SS high he is a good guy to target later for his SB's.

His K% rising isn't much of an issue.  Even at 15.4% is damn good especially for a guy who will only be 26 next year.

But it would be nice to see him draw more walks.

#13 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostFouLLine, on 01 February 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

View PostCmilne23, on 31 January 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

His K% rising isn't much of an issue.  Even at 15.4% is damn good especially for a guy who will only be 26 next year.

But it would be nice to see him draw more walks.

15.4 is below the league average, so I cant complain there with his K. Also as someone with speed his BABIP should be higher. He can also develop more power this year as well as he is entering his prime age.
No Days Off

#14 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,314 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

how much to i love him? this < __________________________________________________________________________> much
12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Plouffe
CI/ Craig
2B/ Lowrie
SS/ Simmons
MI/ Wong
4 OF/ Rios, Bautista, Cespedes, Leonys
Utl/ Heyward
SP/ Felix, Teheran, Sale,
Archer, Latos
RP/ Ross, Richards
, Martinez, Stroman
BN/ Cron
DL/ Everth, Encarnacion

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#15 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Guys with zero ability to draw walks there BABIP is inconsistent on a year to year basis.  Guys like Escobar swing at the worst pitches.  Some years the 8 ft slider in the dirt swings where they make enough contact for a swinging bunt leads to an infield single, and some years it does not.  I'd like to see progression in his pitch recognition before I got excited about him.  Very few guys can swing at everything and be consistent.  Vlad Guerrero, Pudge Rodriguez and just a handful of others.  But for people who don't want to pay drop dollar for a SS he is a good gamble because his SB's are valuable.  I just wouldn't get too carried away with expecting a big breakout with the lumber.

#16 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostCmilne23, on 03 February 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Guys with zero ability to draw walks there BABIP is inconsistent on a year to year basis.  Guys like Escobar swing at the worst pitches.  Some years the 8 ft slider in the dirt swings where they make enough contact for a swinging bunt leads to an infield single, and some years it does not.  I'd like to see progression in his pitch recognition before I got excited about him.  Very few guys can swing at everything and be consistent.  Vlad Guerrero, Pudge Rodriguez and just a handful of others.  But for people who don't want to pay drop dollar for a SS he is a good gamble because his SB's are valuable.  I just wouldn't get too carried away with expecting a big breakout with the lumber.

If you look at his O-Swing% it has improved from 2011 and last year it was 32% which is around the league average of 30%. His swing% is also around league average 46%, So I dont really see that he swings at everything. His BB percentage isn't very good but I dont really think he is hacking away at everything.
No Days Off

#17 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

His run totals will be dependent on how good Moustakas and Hosmer become

#18 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,118 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I like Alcides for reasons stated above.  Solid BA, 30+ Sbs, should score 90 if he really does hit leadoff this year.

In fact, I debating whether to trade Andrus in a 5x5 and keep him AC as a replacement.

#19 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

View Post96mnc, on 05 February 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

I like Alcides for reasons stated above.  Solid BA, 30+ Sbs, should score 90 if he really does hit leadoff this year.

In fact, I debating whether to trade Andrus in a 5x5 and keep him AC as a replacement.

I think he will hit #2 behind Cain. Still, that's a great spot to hit with Butler, Moustakas, and Hosmer to follow.

#20 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostTravis Burten, on 05 February 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

View Post96mnc, on 05 February 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

I think he will hit #2 behind Cain. Still, that's a great spot to hit with Butler, Moustakas, and Hosmer to follow.

Do you really think Cain and his .316 OBP is the Royals best candidate to leadoff?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users