Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Ike Davis 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
448 replies to this topic

#1 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

I'll preface by saying I've never been a fan of Ike Davis. He doesn't hit LHP, plays in the wrong park, strikes out a lot, etc.

Good:
After looking at split stats this guy launched 20 bombs post-ASB to salvage an otherwise lost season. Only Miggy, Headley, Beltre and Upton out-homered Ike during this period. I guess by the time he really turned it on he was so far off my fantasy radar that I did not really take notice. Davis is also a lot more interesting in OBP leagues. He does take walks. Lastly, apparently the Mets still consider him a key element in their lineup. He hit under .200 for a sizable portion of the year and the organization still kept Ike in the meat of the order almost every day.

Bad:
It seems like he's an obvious platoon player given his .217/.281/.361 career split against LHP. He was quite a bit worse than this in 2012, triple slashing a horrid .174/.225/.335. He's also a lot better on the road. OPS split here is more than 100 points. He's built a reputation for taking an absurd number of called third strikes (whopping 52% of his K's were backward in 2011)

Despite all the negatives, I feel like this guy makes a good value pick. He'd be in the low tier of 1B and probably be really cheap on draft day. Platoon him on handedness with a WW 1B and it's possible to get a decent 5x5 line on a high pick/high dollar position.

Thoughts?

Edited by cymbaline, 04 January 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#2 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I think he'll be a lot closer to his post All-Star stats than his over all stats in 2012.

#3 SoundMaster

SoundMaster

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

For the reasons you mentioned, it's difficult to envision a .275+ bat, but the power is real and a .260 average can be 'absorbed' on a good fantasy roster.
He's got a solid BB rate, as well, which adds value in non-traditional leagues.
If you miss out on the few top tier IB this season, there are solid options in the middle rounds, for sure.

My Ike Davis '13 projection:
30 hr
95 rbi
70 runs
.350 OBP

#4 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

he's gonna get some hype and won't be the super value some are hoping for. the industry will focus on the second half, and ike usally destroys spring training pitching.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#5 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

he's gonna get some hype and won't be the super value some are hoping for. the industry will focus on the second half, and ike usally destroys spring training pitching.

I agree here, most people will probably focus on the second half home run totals and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting drafted ahead of where he was drafted last year because of vally fever. The craziest stat like cymbaline mentioned is how much he strikes out looking. This is something that has to be correctable right?
No Days Off

#6 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

what's his auction value in standard mixed leagues? i was thinking around 7, maybe a bit higher in keepers. he's going to be 26 when the season begins.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#7 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,165 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

what's his auction value in standard mixed leagues? i was thinking around 7, maybe a bit higher in keepers. he's going to be 26 when the season begins.

Because first base is so deep i think 7-10 would be his auction price. Which could make him a steal in drafts especially after a disappointing last year.

#8 Djop20

Djop20

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

Ike always destroys ST pitching and he has started off mashing again.

He does strike out to much (23% for his career) but he also walks a ton (11% for his career) and had a excellent line drive rate (21%) last year. He also had a babip of .246 which is mind boggling given his line drive %.

I think he has a decent chance of being a .270 hitter (with some upside potential) with 35+ bombs and 100+ rbi who is going at and ADP of 119.

SIGN ME UP!

#9 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Ike always destroys ST pitching and he has started off mashing again.

He does strike out to much (23% for his career) but he also walks a ton (11% for his career) and had a excellent line drive rate (21%) last year. He also had a babip of .246 which is mind boggling given his line drive %.

I think he has a decent chance of being a .270 hitter (with some upside potential) with 35+ bombs and 100+ rbi who is going at and ADP of 119.

SIGN ME UP!

.270 is definitely possible, and .280 wouldn't shock me. he hit .300 in 36 games in 2011, and did it for the majority of his time in the minors. with an obvious increase in babip, and if he can get his contract rate up a bit he could hit for a very good average. he's just turning 26 this year
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#10 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

His swing has too many holes in it, I'll pass
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#11 FUM

FUM

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

His swing has too many holes in it, I'll pass

The guy dealt with strength zapping Valley Fever last year and hit 32 bombs. He won't hit less than .265 and I can live with that considering he will flirt with 40 homers. Dont pass on this guy when he's finally healthy.
Rotoworld Forums' Official Badass with 6 warning points.

Most of what I post is for giggles. Please do not take me seriously when I'm venting about a pitcher that just got bombed or a hitter in a 2 for 20 slump. It's all for effect and trying to make all my fellow rotoheads chuckle, so don't be "that guy", yeah you know what I'm talking about.

#12 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

I'm totally on this bandwagon. He's still not on so many folks radar, rostered him in a 12 team 6x6 last night with OBP as the extra cat, a 10th round pick I'm most happy to have!!
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#13 TBarber21

TBarber21

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

He went for $13 in my auction on Sunday (it's also a partial keeper league). Guys in my league are usually all over sleepers so I wasn't expecting him to be had at much vaule, but he isn't a bad option at $13. I would think in most non-keeper leagues you could get him for $10 or less.
12 Team Auction League (partial keeper - $270 cap)

C - J Castro - $4
1B - M Napoli - $6
2B - A Hill - $15
SS - E Cabrera - $5
3B - D Wright - $35
OF - *J Upton - $26 , *A McCutchen - $20, *S Marte - $2
U -   D Ortiz - $26
SP - *M Bumgarner - $15, *J Fernandez - $6, C Hamels - $30, J Cueto - $16, *A Cashner - $3, H Ryu - $12, H Kuroda - $6
RP - J Veras - $3
Bench - B Moss - $5, C Tillman - $8, C Buchholtz - $6, S Kazmir - $6, E Ramirez - $4, *B Anderson - $9 (didn't want to take cap hit)

*Keepers

#14 ulysses

ulysses

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

how can anyone say he is a platoon player? he had his best season yet after having valley fever and not doing anything for 3 months. it's hard to imagine him not outplaying his draft position.

#15 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

how can anyone say he is a platoon player? he had his best season yet after having valley fever and not doing anything for 3 months. it's hard to imagine him not outplaying his draft position.

See first post. .174 BA v LHP in 2012. .217 v LHP career. I have no qualms about calling those kinds of splits a platoon gambit.

Just because the Mets play him against southpaws does not mean fantasy owners should.

#16 ulysses

ulysses

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

See first post. .174 BA v LHP in 2012. .217 v LHP career. I have no qualms about calling those kinds of splits a platoon gambit.

Just because the Mets play him against southpaws does not mean fantasy owners should.

yea i understand your reasoning. i guess just the term platoon player in a fantasy sense is accurate. I always saw Choo as a platoon player in fantasy but obviously in real life hes an everyday guy.

#17 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

yea i understand your reasoning. i guess just the term platoon player in a fantasy sense is accurate. I always saw Choo as a platoon player in fantasy but obviously in real life hes an everyday guy.

Yes, you are correct that my terminology isn't really spot on. Perhaps "splitter" is a more appropriate term.
Anyhow, I still think there's a lot of potential to pair Ike with other 1B's to get a solid 5x5 line.

Honestly, I was disappointed that Yahoo ranked Davis in the top 100 as I was really hoping for a better bargain.

#18 Djop20

Djop20

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

I am cautiously optomistic that he won't be completely useless against lefties this year.

If you look deeper at the stats he has only had ~330 ab's against lefties in the big leagues and he was able to hit .295 against lefties in 2010 in 122 ab's. So it has really been over the last two years in which he has been injured and gone through Valley fever that he has really really struggled against lefties.

Obviously I don't think he will be anywhere near .295 that mark this year against lefties but I am just hoping he won't be absolutely terrible.

#19 clutchcityfan

clutchcityfan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

I just drafted Ike for $7, and I was pretty happy with that price. Do you guys think 75/35/90/.260 is a reasonable projection?

#20 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

I just drafted Ike for $7, and I was pretty happy with that price. Do you guys think 75/35/90/.260 is a reasonable projection?

Seems reasonable to me.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.