Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Chris Carter 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
141 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

In 2012, Chris Carter received the most ABs of his very short MLB career.

67 games, 218 AB, .239/.350/.514/.864 (16 homers and 39 BBs)

I think he performed about as well as what he was projected to do as a prospect - low avg, lots of power, and some walks. The question is, will Oakland give him a starting gig.

What do you think? What are your expectations for Chris Carter in 2013?

#2 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I've been following him closely a couple years now and he's very sporadic. He definitely proved to us his power, smacking a HR almost every other game while competing with Moss last season. Honestly, I think he'll have to fight over the position during spring training, with who else, but Moss. He has OF experience too so he might be a flex option. He's one of the guys I am keeping a very close eye on this offseason because he put up Rizzo-type numbers last season and look at the hype he got...Carter was just owned by 80% less people.

#3 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Moss had a lot of power too, I think they view these guys as a righty-lefty value platoon that will hit them HR if it were one guy that would cost them like $10 Million per season on the open market. They combined for 37HR in 570 At Bats.

How many full time 1B hit 37HR? I would suspect it stays just like it was at the end of 2012 unless of course management favorite Daric Barton finds his way to 1B at bats.

Edited by parrothead, 09 January 2013 - 01:47 PM.

Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#4 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Very true, but when one bat gets hot you have to know how long to ride it, regardless of the pitching matchups. Good point on the 37HR theory though...not as common as it used to be for the post-steroid era.

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

You cant be half-pregnant, its kind of like being a switch-hitter (the baseball version) you either have to stay committed to it and go up Lefty when a RH pitcher is on the mound or vice versa, you dont switch around because you are swinging a hot bat from one side or the other.

Platooning is the same way and the A's are very committed to it, Johnny Gomes was one of their team leaders and best hitters last year who didnt sniff much PT in the post-season because he was only in there versus lefties and the Tigers didnt start any in the postseason.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Well that's what the A's did last season alternating between the two between pitching matchups so it wouldn't surprise me if they did that again this year unless one guy blows the other out of the water during ST.

#7 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Well that's what the A's did last season alternating between the two between pitching matchups so it wouldn't surprise me if they did that again this year unless one guy blows the other out of the water during ST.

They both had really good years, Moss is one of only 30 players in MLB History to hit 20HR in sub 300 at bats in a season so he would have a pretty good case to make for himself too.

#8 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

He's going to have to get hot in ST and hit the ground running if he wants significant playing time. He's duking it out with not only Moss (who put up a much better season) but the leftovers from the outfield (Crisp, Young, Smith, Cespedes, Reddick). His power looks great but if you're in a strikeout league I'd likely steer clear. He's a hacker whose k rate rose each month, ending September striking out 43(!) percent of the time.

He's not going to make a lot of contact which means he's going to have some massive cold streaks. Streaks that will likely make Jay Bruce look like a model of consistency. But when he gets hot he's going to slug the snot out of the ball.

All in all I can't see him being drafted in standard sized leagues. At least not until it's clear how much playing time he's going to get.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#9 phoenixbases

phoenixbases

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Drafting Carter and Moss in a daily league to combine as your everyday 1B is an interesting idea.

#10 Dissection

Dissection

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

He walks a lot,39BB in just 67 games.He has great power but needs to improve in order to be a useful option.A's are crowded in 1B and OF so he needs to shine early.

#11 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Drafting Carter and Moss in a daily league to combine as your everyday 1B is an interesting idea.

Yes it is, in a roto of normal size they have little value because they dont play enough to score the runs and become somewhat of a liability, but in a daily where you can plug em in and out, you could have yourself a really good 1B combo for cheap.

#12 South Jersey Bombers

South Jersey Bombers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

any stock in him now?
Macann , Abreu , Altuve , Alverez , Tulo
Cespedes , Crisp , Granderson , Adams
Headley , Eaton , Lowrie , Castro
Darvish , Strasburg , Kazmir , Ventura , Quintana , Odorizzi , Lynn, Martinez , Cashner , Lirano
Holland , Mejia , Beniot

#13 TheJuggernautBTCH

TheJuggernautBTCH

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

He is definitely worth keeping an eye on now. He should have a chance to play everyday in a much better ball park. This guy has high upside......maybe Adam Dunn upside with a better average...in a full season i wouldnt put 30/35 hrs past him. This guy is built like a tank and should produce some robust numbers.

12  Team Auction League - 1/2 PPR - Keeper with Escalating Prices- Can Keep 3

w- waiver wire - can be kept for 15 next year

Contract 1 - can be kept +$5 next year

Contract 2 -  can be kept +$10 next year

Contract 3 - can be kept +$15 next year

QB(1) - Cam($10); Dalton ($2)

RB (2) - Tate ($11); J.Bell($22); J. Gray ($10w); J.Thompson ($10w); C.Michael ($4)

WR (3) - B.Marsh ($40); Watkins ($10);Evans ($13) Beckham ($2); J.Brown ($1); J. Matthews ($6)

Flex(1) - Vereen ($22);

TE (1): Witten ($11); Rudolph($7)

K(1) - J Tucker<w>

Def(1) - San Fran ($2)

Team is losing...sold off players for keepers

#14 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Agree, I think the trade to a team with really nothing to play for, I think he will see a full season or close to it worth of at bats, versus being on the wrong side of the Oakland platoon.

#15 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

with carter and moss there, if they can get Culpepper to come back they could be a very good offense.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#16 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

I'm really curious to see where the Stros play him. I'm hearing DH and LF. Either way, this park should get him 30+ homers easy.

#17 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,991 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

I'm really curious to see where the Stros play him. I'm hearing DH and LF. Either way, this park should get him 30+ homers easy.

IF he stays up all year he should hit 30. With the Astros obvious lack of offense, he'll likely be given a very long leash, but he he the potential to hit .200 with 200+ k's as well. Him and Carlos Pena is a hilarious "middle of the order".

#18 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

With the trade, the guy's value really rockets. I'd put him around 130 in AL only. I would feel good about drafting him ahead of Morn, however, whom I have at around 115.

#19 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Chances are he's got a damn good shot of being an every day player out of spring training. I think Houston banked huge on that trade.

#20 TheFranchiseAce

TheFranchiseAce

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

I really think he's going to be one of those value guys in h2h points leagues (if he gets 500+ ABs) where Avg won't hurt you. You can get this guy deep in the draft and could hit 30+ bombs easily.

I'll be targeting him deep in the draft.