Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Keeper for Dynasty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 DropkickAlex

DropkickAlex

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

The league I'm in is expanding the league from 10 teams to 16 teams (keep all your starters and 1 bench player). After a .500 season in season one and a below .500 season last year, I finally had a breakout year going 11-2 losing in the championship game.

QB: Drew Brees
RB: Adrian Peterson
RB: Jamaal Charles
FL: Julio Jones
WR: Brandon Marshall
WR: Vincent Jackson
WR: Mike Wallace
TE: Jimmy Graham
D: Texans
K: Phil Dawson

Bench: Rashard Mendenhall, Ryan Mathews, Bills D, Andrew Luck, Josh Gordon, Maurice Jones-Drew, Mikel LeShoure, Kyle Rudolph, Mike Williams, Montell Owens.

I know my team is stacked and accuse me of cheating but I cashed in on Eli Manning before the season for Brees.

Peterson, Jackson, and Wallace were all original draft picks. The owner of Charles dropped him after the knee injury thinking he was done and I snagged him up. I also drafted Julio Jones that year.

With that being said...who from my bench players who should be the keeper. I was thinking Luck and it's a no brainer but in a 16 team league is a QB that important especially since I have Brees for the next 3/5 years? Thanks and leave a link and I'll help.
Brooklyn Dodgers: Buffalo Baseball League: Dynasty League: 7th Year:
World Series Champion (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
American League Champion (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
Division Champion (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)

#2 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

Ugh. I'd hate to keep 2 QBs. In such a large league, I'd prefer to hang onto Mathews or Leshoure. At the same time, it'd be really difficult to justify getting rid of Luck in a dynasty league.

Do you think it'd be possible to trade Brees (or even Luck, I suppose, if you're married to keeping Brees) for maybe some front end backfield insurance? Somebody a bit more reliable than Mathews, for instance.

#3 DropkickAlex

DropkickAlex

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Maybe but what would be fair value for Luck in a Dynasty League?
Brooklyn Dodgers: Buffalo Baseball League: Dynasty League: 7th Year:
World Series Champion (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
American League Champion (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
Division Champion (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)

#4 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Maybe but what would be fair value for Luck in a Dynasty League?

Virtually anybody. I don't put much stock in any QB but it'd be very reasonable to offer him in exchange for anybody other than Doug Martin, Trent Richardson, Dez, or A.J. Green.

#5 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,048 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Lucks value completely depends on the qb scoring. He's worth a lot more in a 6 pt TD leauge than a standard league. I don't think you will get any of those RBs for Luck. You might be looking at 10-15 WR and 15-20 RB at least if I was dealing with you.

As for my keeper I'd probably keep Mathews. Much rather have rb depth than QB depth.

#6 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Lucks value completely depends on the qb scoring. He's worth a lot more in a 6 pt TD leauge than a standard league. I don't think you will get any of those RBs for Luck. You might be looking at 10-15 WR and 15-20 RB at least if I was dealing with you.

As for my keeper I'd probably keep Mathews. Much rather have rb depth than QB depth.

I absolutely agree with you that RB depth is more integral than QB, but I feel like you're vastly under-estimating Luck's perceived value in dynasty leagues.

I personally wouldn't give up a useful RB or WR for him, but I completely disagree with where you're placing his trade value. Like I said, it'd be reasonable to offer him for ALMOST anybody.

People go nuts for Luck. Especially in the long-term formats. His perceived value is sky high.

#7 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,048 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

I absolutely agree with you that RB depth is more integral than QB, but I feel like you're vastly under-estimating Luck's perceived value in dynasty leagues.

I personally wouldn't give up a useful RB or WR for him, but I completely disagree with where you're placing his trade value. Like I said, it'd be reasonable to offer him for ALMOST anybody.

People go nuts for Luck. Especially in the long-term formats. His perceived value is sky high.

Not going to argue I just don't think any QB is worth an AJ Green or top line RB. There is just too much depth and every year there seems to be another QB showing themselves to be a viable QB option. Luck will obviously by a cornerstone QB for a long time to come.

At the end of the day his value is whatever someone will give you for him. The way I go about trades is start high and work your way down. You never kno what someone might end up giving you.

#8 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Not going to argue I just don't think any QB is worth an AJ Green or top line RB. There is just too much depth and every year there seems to be another QB showing themselves to be a viable QB option. Luck will obviously by a cornerstone QB for a long time to come.

At the end of the day his value is whatever someone will give you for him. The way I go about trades is start high and work your way down. You never kno what someone might end up giving you.

I think you may have read my initial post incorrectly. I said that Green and those other players would NOT be realistic trade exchanges for Luck. I wouldn't trade Green for any QB either, nor should anybody else.

Also, you seem to be approaching this from too much of a first person aspect. Okay, I understand that YOU personally would not give a valuable back or WR for Luck. Neither would I. But many people would in a dynasty format. He is one of the most valuable dynasty assets whether you're a fan of him or not and he holds very heavy trade value in such a format. I have a feeling you don't play in any dynasties.

#9 slaughterrt

slaughterrt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Luck has sky high potential, especially in dynasty fantasy leagues. He was startable in many of the games this year, and he is only going to get better. Plenty of people believe he will be the next Manning, maybe better. Plenty of those guys would overpay big time to have Luck on their squad for the long haul. There are always one or two guys in a league who will throw out outrageous offers for someone that they NEED to have.

Would I keep Brees and Luck? I would try to move Brees in the offseason. If I couldn't trade him then I keep him period. Plenty of offers will come forward when someones QB gets injured or is playing crappy.
10 Team IDP Dynasty League (non ppr)
QB Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson
RB Alfred Morris, Daryl Richardson, Danny Woodhead, Joique Bell
WR James Jones, Antonio Brown, Eric Decker, Percy Harvin, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon, Danny Amendola
TE Aaron Hernandez, Kyle Rudolph
LB Daryl Washington, Wesley Woodyard, Mason Foster
DL J.J. Watt, Michael Johnson
DB Harrison Smith, Janoris Jenkins, Tim Jennings
K Blair Walsh

14 Team PPR Dynasty
QB Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco, Tim Tebow
RB LeSean McCoy, Adrian Peterson, Mikel Leshoure, Daryl Richardson, Bilal Powell
WR Randall Cobb, Victor Cruz, Miles Austin, Hakeem Nicks, Rod Streater, Julian Edelman
TE Aaron Hernandez, Dwayne Allen
DL Haloti Ngata, Julius Peppers, Carlos Dunlap, Matt Shaughnessy, CJ Mosley
LB James Laurinaitis, Chase Blackburn, Anthony Spencer, Perry Riley, Jameel Mcclain
DB Casey Hayward, Patrick Peterson, Morgan Burnett, Craig Dahl, Stephon Gilmore, Tavon Wilson
K Justin Tucker, Bal K

#10 Rush2112

Rush2112

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,373 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Luck has sky high potential, especially in dynasty fantasy leagues. He was startable in many of the games this year, and he is only going to get better. Plenty of people believe he will be the next Manning, maybe better. Plenty of those guys would overpay big time to have Luck on their squad for the long haul. There are always one or two guys in a league who will throw out outrageous offers for someone that they NEED to have.

Would I keep Brees and Luck? I would try to move Brees in the offseason. If I couldn't trade him then I keep him period. Plenty of offers will come forward when someones QB gets injured or is playing crappy.

+1

#11 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,048 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

This is off topic but after re-reading the post your dynasty league is expanding from 10 teams to 16 teams? That's going from a league where most teams will be stacked to a league where most teams will be struggling to find bye week fill ins. How are the original teams allowed to keep all the starters?

The new 6 teams will be picking basically from bench and rookie scraps. Doesn't seem conducive to those new teams having success.

#12 slaughterrt

slaughterrt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I dunno how those new teams will be able to draft a decent team when the top 10 qbs, top 20+ rbs, top 20+ wrs, top 10 tes...all gone. Not very competitive if you ask me.
10 Team IDP Dynasty League (non ppr)
QB Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson
RB Alfred Morris, Daryl Richardson, Danny Woodhead, Joique Bell
WR James Jones, Antonio Brown, Eric Decker, Percy Harvin, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon, Danny Amendola
TE Aaron Hernandez, Kyle Rudolph
LB Daryl Washington, Wesley Woodyard, Mason Foster
DL J.J. Watt, Michael Johnson
DB Harrison Smith, Janoris Jenkins, Tim Jennings
K Blair Walsh

14 Team PPR Dynasty
QB Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco, Tim Tebow
RB LeSean McCoy, Adrian Peterson, Mikel Leshoure, Daryl Richardson, Bilal Powell
WR Randall Cobb, Victor Cruz, Miles Austin, Hakeem Nicks, Rod Streater, Julian Edelman
TE Aaron Hernandez, Dwayne Allen
DL Haloti Ngata, Julius Peppers, Carlos Dunlap, Matt Shaughnessy, CJ Mosley
LB James Laurinaitis, Chase Blackburn, Anthony Spencer, Perry Riley, Jameel Mcclain
DB Casey Hayward, Patrick Peterson, Morgan Burnett, Craig Dahl, Stephon Gilmore, Tavon Wilson
K Justin Tucker, Bal K

#13 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

You'd want to keep MJD. RBs are always shallow in fantasy (and most injury prone, therefore highly coveted) and you know he'll be getting touches next year, regardless if Tebow snags a couple goaline stints or not (assuming the Jags get him). You're right about Luck, so don't feel bad throwing him back into the mix.

#14 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

You'd want to keep MJD. RBs are always shallow in fantasy (and most injury prone, therefore highly coveted) and you know he'll be getting touches next year, regardless if Tebow snags a couple goaline stints or not (assuming the Jags get him). You're right about Luck, so don't feel bad throwing him back into the mix.

I agree with your statement that "RBs are always shallow in fantasy". Hopefully everybody on the board realizes that. I kind of disagree with everything else you say in this post, though.

I'm a man who puts about 100X more emphasis on establishing a deep, quality backfield than I do in securing a QB, but even I would value Luck as exponentially higher than MJD in this format. MoJo has got one foot out the door.

If anything, keep Mathews or Leshoure.