Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Austin Jackson 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
132 replies to this topic

#1 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

he finished with a good average. the same this year. any improvements. did he really stink the second half of the season?

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

He also finished with 100 runs scored. I like guys like AJ, just solid across the board contributors if he could get the bags up into the 20 range, would be fantastic. Ive got him in the 30's of my OF rankings.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

He also finished with 100 runs scored. I like guys like AJ, just solid across the board contributors if he could get the bags up into the 20 range, would be fantastic. Ive got him in the 30's of my OF rankings.

And he could still keep developing that power too this year. He could be 100 RS and 15 homers 20 steals this year.
No Days Off

#4 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

he is so underrated. even with only 12 steals last year, on a per-game basis (min. 100 games played) he was the #20 hitter last year.

he showed skills growth in terms of lowered K%, greater BB%, and increased power. all indicators appear positive: lower swinging strike rate, lower O-swing% among others.

he had Brennan Boesch hitting behind him for a good portion of the year. the Tigers should be a better offense just by virtue of removing all the dead weight they had and replacing them with V-Mart, Torii, and Infante.

prorate his 2012 stats to the 152 games he averaged his first two years:

.300, 18 HR, 13 SB, 114 R, 73 RBI

and I think those SB should rebound. he had a good success rate his 1st two years. it tanked last year but I think there is reason to expect that to rebound.

Edited by jsp2014, 10 January 2013 - 04:24 PM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#5 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

he is so underrated. even with only 12 steals last year, on a per-game basis (min. 100 games played) he was the #20 hitter last year.

he showed skills growth in terms of lowered K%, greater BB%, and increased power. all indicators appear positive: lower swinging strike rate, lower O-swing% among others.

he had Brennan Boesch hitting behind him for a good portion of the year. the Tigers should be a better offense just by virtue of removing all the dead weight they had and replacing them with V-Mart, Torii, and Infante.

and I think those SB should rebound. he had a good success rate his 1st two years. it tanked last year but I think there is reason to expect that to rebound.

When he went on the DL in the middle of the year wasn't it for a hamstring or hip injury? Maybe that was hampering him a little affecting his running ability. He should be fully healthy now and I like think he takes a big step forward this year.
No Days Off

#6 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,024 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Agreed, he is my next step, bust out guy in the OF this year. I really like the trends I saw last year with him. His walk rate skyrocketed and his K rate plummeted. 2 signs of a guy that is finding his way at the dish. Only going to be 26 on opening day he has a lot of tools to work with. If he went for 110 runs, 20 HR's, 70 RBI's, 20 SB's and had an OBP of .370+ then he will be a top 10 outfield selection next year. I love that lineup for the Tigers as well, Jackson - Hunter - Cabrera - Fielder - Vmart - Avila - Peralta - Dirks - Infante. Just really solid hitters all throughout. That 8-9 is 2 very professional, tough out hitters so Ajax could have more opps with RISP than the average leadoff man.

#7 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Id temper the SB expectations. His instincts are terrible, gets really bad jumps a lot. Hes got the speed, hopefully he can learn how to use it
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa. -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. -Thomas Boswell

#8 Vestrogen

Vestrogen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

He improved so greatly from 2011 to 2012. A jump from .249 to .300 in average is ridiculous, if he keeps that average in the .285 to .300 range he will score 100 runs. I like him to steal 20 bases, in 2010 and 2011 he had 27 and 22 SB's respectively. His power has improved as well and I think he has a good shot at 20/20 with a .285 to .305 average. That might be a bit high, but I think he is almost a lock for 15/15.

#9 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Love Austin Jackson this year, the surge last year was most definitely not a fluke. .371 BABIP was right in line with his career .370 average. The increase in production was a result of improved plate discipline, something that has been in the works all 3 years of his pro career despite what looked like a poor year last year. A look at a few plate discipline numbers:

O-Swing% (% of pitches swung at outside the strike zone)
10 - 28.6%
11 - 27.5%
12 - 24.0%

Swing% (total % of pitches swung at)
10 - 47.0%
11 - 44.5%
12 - 42.4%

Contact% (total % of contact made when swinging at all pitches)
10 - 84.3%
11 - 84.7%
12 - 87.2%

So he has been becoming a more selective hitter, while also getting better at making contact, with last year being the biggest jump. A great trend for a young player like Jackson. This improved discpline has resulted in:

BB%
10 - 7.0%
11 - 8.4%
12 - 10.9%

K% (This has been the biggest issue for Jackson so far and it was also the biggest improvement he made last season)
10 - 25.2%
11 - 27.1%
12 - 21.7%

And with improved discpline comes improved power:

ISO (Isolated power, more telling than SLG)
10 - .107
11 - .125
12 - .179

Jackson has been doing exactly what you hope every young player with his type of talent that struggles early on does. Very mature for someone his age. He should hit at least .290 with a ceiling in the .315-.320 range (his career average is .280, he hit .300 last year and is only getting better). That type of average hitting in front of Cabrera and Fielder is a lock for 100+ runs.

My projection: .307 AVG, 109 R, 68 RBI, 20 HR, 18 SB

Edited by iAugust, 11 January 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#10 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Love Austin Jackson this year, the surge last year was most definitely not a fluke. .371 BABIP was right in line with his career .370 average. The increase in production was a result of improved plate discipline, something that has been in the works all 3 years of his pro career despite what looked like a poor year last year. A look at a few plate discipline numbers:

O-Swing% (% of pitches swung at outside the strike zone)
10 - 28.6%
11 - 27.5%
12 - 24.0%

Swing% (total % of pitches swung at)
10 - 47.0%
11 - 44.5%
12 - 42.4%

Contact% (total % of contact made when swinging at all pitches)
10 - 84.3%
11 - 84.7%
12 - 87.2%

So he has been becoming a more selective hitter, while also getting better at making contact, with last year being the biggest jump. A great trend for a young player like Jackson. This improved discpline has resulted in:

BB%
10 - 7.0%
11 - 8.4%
12 - 10.9%

K% (This has been the biggest issue for Jackson so far and it was also the biggest improvement he made last season)
10 - 25.2%
11 - 27.1%
12 - 21.7%

And with improved discpline comes improved power:

ISO (Isolated power, more telling than SLG)
10 - .107
11 - .125
12 - .179

Jackson has been doing exactly what you hope every young player with his type of talent that struggles early on does. Very mature for someone his age. He should hit at least .290 with a ceiling in the .315-.320 range (his career average is .280, he hit .300 last year and is only getting better). That type of average hitting in front of Cabrera and Fielder is a lock for 100+ runs.

My projection: .307 AVG, 109 R, 68 RBI, 20 HR, 18 SB

I think this is a great projection, and the great thing about Jackson is that he does have upside wjth those runs and rbis because of the lineup he plays in. I wouldn't be surprised if he got 125 runs and 80 rbis due to the good 8th and 9th hitters in det like a previous poster mentioned
No Days Off

#11 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Now that we're all in agreement, let's lock/delete this thread

Edited by jsp2014, 12 January 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#12 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Now that we're all in agreement, let's lock/delete this thread

Good idea, soon we will get the homers who think he will hit 35 35 and also the doubters who will argue that his babip will correct itself and he will hit 250 and strike out 250 times
No Days Off

#13 archibjd

archibjd

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Are any of you predicting a sizable jump in homers or a big rebound in stolen bases?

For an OF his counting stats and upside seem a little low to get too excited about.

Unquestionably he is an improving hitter entering his prime but I am not sure how well that will translate into fantasy production.

Edited by archibjd, 13 January 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#14 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Are any of you predicting a sizable jump in homers or a big rebound in stolen bases?

For an OF his counting stats and upside seem a little low to get too excited about.

Unquestionably he is an improving hitter entering his prime but I am not sure how well that will translate into fantasy production.

This is an error in human perception, more specifically an inability to gauge 1 value out of 5 numbers. The player rater I use loved him last season.

Edited by jsp2014, 13 January 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#15 archibjd

archibjd

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

This is an error in human perception, more specifically an inability to gauge 1 value out of 5 numbers. The player rater I use loved him last season.

Really, how so?

My thoughts are that the market will have him valued at an ADP that shows some improvement over his 2012 stats.

You tend to think his market value will be undervalued. What basis do you have for that assumption? I doubt very many people don't think he can't or even won't improve marginally over his 2012 stats and certainly most people think his 2012 line is at least very repeatable. So you will have to pay for an improvement in where you draft Austin in order to land him.

Therefore his only value to your team will be if he increases his 2013 more than just a little over his 2012 line otherwise you will just be getting what you paid for.

You are incorrectly assuming I don't know how to assign relative worth to Austin based on increasing his fantasy stats in 2013 somewhat marginally and the market doesn't either. I've given you no basis to think that since I haven't attempted to assign him a relative value.

I just asked if he has a real chance to improve significantly from a fantasy standpoint over what he did in 2012 especially from the perspective of homers and sb and what basis is there for thinking that way.

Edited by archibjd, 13 January 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#16 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Really, how so?

My thoughts are that the market will have him valued at an ADP that shows some improvement over his 2012 stats.

You tend to think his market value will be undervalued. What basis do you have for that assumption? I doubt very many people don't think he can't or even won't improve marginally over his 2012 stats and certainly most people think his 2012 line is at least very repeatable. So you will have to pay for an improvement in where you draft Austin in order to land him.

Therefore his only value to your team will be if he increases his 2013 more than just a little over his 2012 line otherwise you will just be getting what you paid for.

You are incorrectly assuming I don't know how to assign relative worth to Austin based on increasing his fantasy stats in 2013 somewhat marginally and the market doesn't either. I've given you no basis to think that since I haven't attempted to assign him a relative value.

I just asked if he has a real chance to improve significantly from a fantasy standpoint over what he did in 2012 especially from the perspective of homers and sb and what basis is there for thinking that way.

re-read my post that you quoted.

Edited by jsp2014, 13 January 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#17 archibjd

archibjd

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Most people, including myself, in this thread believe that AJ will improve over his 2012 numbers.

Therefore you will have to pay a premium on AJ and his 2012 numbers to land him in 2013 for your fantasy team.

If that is the case, for him to give your fantasy team value, he has to improve more than what the average person who is looking to target AJ will expect of him.

What reason is there to believe there will be a marked jump in AJ's numbers and not only just the improvement most expect and are willing to pay for from AJ?

How is he going to improve significantly and where and why do you believe that will be the case?

If you believe you are going to get AJ at a discount and not a premium on his 2012 numbers and that is how your team will get value from him I think you are mistaken.

PS - What exactly is my error in human perception ( I assume it is mine since you quoted me)? Spell it out for me if it is not relatively assigning value to AJ.

Edited by archibjd, 13 January 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#18 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

PS - What exactly is my error in human perception ( I assume it is mine since you quoted me)? Spell it out for me if it is not relatively assigning value to AJ.

I mean looking at these 5 numbers and accurately gauging the total value. it's very tough to do. I definitely can't do it with any sort of precision. we look at Jackson's 2012 line and think it's nothing special, but it is. across-the-board contributors are undervalued because nothing pops out. conversely if a guy hits 30 HR with 90 RBI, 75 R, no steals, and a .260 AVG you might think he's good because he's got power but that's a really mediocre line. it's not just you personally.

so what I'm saying is that Austin Jackson rated out really well last year and he only played 137 games. his final season rank was higher than his ADP is. if you treat it per-game then he was the #20 hitter.

Edited by jsp2014, 13 January 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#19 archibjd

archibjd

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

You have to also analyze players based on how drafting certain players at specific positions force you to target other types of players at other positions.

If you draft an OF that has mediocre power and declining SBs with worsening success rates what does that mean for the rest of your team? In the OF you really have to look for the 20/20 guys with good power/speed upside. At 1st base you want the 300 average and 30+ homer power. Not drafting 1st base power means you have to overcompensate in the OF position for power where the sacrifice in SB's you have to give up for increasing power later on in the draft is too costly.

I don't really think in the context of drafting a team and finding synergy and balance with players a reasonable argument can be made that an OF with mediocre power and who only stole 12 bases while getting caught 9 times is a top 20 fantasy player and great value given where you will have to draft him and his OF/CF position.

I'm more curious though as to what can be reasonably expected of AJ in terms of improvements in hrs/sb's. You stated he will rebound in sb's. Sure that is probably a safe bet but by how much? His stolen bases have gone down while being caught more over the last 3 years. Given his speed he has to rebound but it is not reason for optimism for a huge rebound. You have a point about games played but I still don't see an above average OF in either power or sb's. He is below average in terms of SB;s for the CF position which is where you usually draft speed and where it comes relatively cheap compared to other positions.

Edited by archibjd, 13 January 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#20 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

yes but when you get cheap speed from a CF is there any power there.... 100 runs? jon jay like? just asking not saying you are wrong.