Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Fantasy Baseball Resources

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
181 replies to this topic

#1 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

Anyone hear some release dates? I saw Lindys is getting issued on Jan 8.

#2 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

I remember when I wanted the magazines to get out as early as possible.... But Jan 8th seems a bit early. As there will still be a bunch of offseason transactions.

#3 BB Universe

BB Universe

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Saw the Lindy's Fantasy Baseball magazine and a new one put out by Baseball America called Fantasy Guide - both at Barnes and Noble - this weekend.

#4 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I remember when I wanted the magazines to get out as early as possible.... But Jan 8th seems a bit early. As there will still be a bunch of offseason transactions.

I remember the "Mag" days. Going to the bookstore, going through the different mags to see what features they had, getting one or two and then doing your prep. Thats when sleepers were sleepers.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#5 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

I use to go daily hoping mags would be there. Internet sites have killed the mags for me. I buy one a year now just to read until it is time to wipe.

#6 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

I use to go daily hoping mags would be there. Internet sites have killed the mags for me. I buy one a year now just to read until it is time to wipe.

That's pretty much the only use for mags these days, or on an airplane. I do usually buy a book or two a year for fantasy baseball. Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster book is out already it's usually pretty solid I haven't bought it yet though.
No Days Off

#7 Kazmagic

Kazmagic

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

I went to the local B&N during lunch. No luck on the magazines. I like looking at the mags as a sanity check.

Quick head's up on Shandler's book. If you purchase it via his site, you get a digital copy for free. If not, you can purchase a digital copy for $9.99.

#8 SoundMaster

SoundMaster

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Same here. Years ago, I'd buy every mag I could get my hands on. Not any more. However, being that I am traveling this week, I did buy the Lindy's and Baseball Almanac mags. (Not read any of either yet.)

#9 TheWrightStuff

TheWrightStuff

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

My wife (yes, she's awesome) brought the Baseball America mag home for me last night. She got it at B&N in northern NJ. I haven't had a chance to look at it in too much depth, but so far it seems to be done semi-well for their first fantasy print publication. I liked most of what I got to read so far, but did notice that a few of their comments about certain top players didn't match their projections for the players...however, I don't put a lot of stock into magazine projections...I tend to go online to certain websites for such things and use my own observations, etc.

If anyone ever sees the Yahoo! or Rotoword mags, please let us know as soon as and where they were located.

Thanks.

2013 & 2014 Back to Back CHAMP!- Field of Dreams

(10 team, H2H, 5x5 [TB/OBP/R/SB/RBI...QS/W/K/ERA/WHIP]-No RP)

2015:
C-
1B-
2B-
3B-
SS-
OF-*Y.Puig

SP-*C.Hamels

*keepers

Let's go, Mets!

#10 TheFranchiseAce

TheFranchiseAce

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

I just use Rotoworld Online, the mags are great but don't really appeal to me considering that all the leagues i'm in are H2H Points and most of the info in the mags are geared towards Roto/Cat leagues. RW allows me to put in my league scoring settings and gear their rankings towards my scoring settings. Can't wait for the Draft Guide to pop up!

I did buy the 2011 Baseball Forecaster book and it was very insightful.

#11 Runelvys Hernandez

Runelvys Hernandez

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

I went to the local B&N during lunch. No luck on the magazines. I like looking at the mags as a sanity check.

Quick head's up on Shandler's book. If you purchase it via his site, you get a digital copy for free. If not, you can purchase a digital copy for $9.99.

WHere can you buy just the digital copy?

Baseball: 16-team 6X6 (+OPS and Losses) H2H Keeper League (5 keepers, +$3 every year kept, $275 cap, 25-man rosters, $50 FAAB/season) | Since 2004 - Champions 2007, 2009, 2012, 2014 
C: E. Gattis (11)
1B: E. Encarnacion (9)
2B: J. Rutledge (1)
3B: M. Cabrera (46)
SS: J. Peralta (11)
OF: M. Trout (10), J. Heyward (24), C. Dickerson (1)
Util: D. Ortiz (26), R. Davis (2), M. Betts (39)
Bench: M. Teixeira (1), J. Schafer (1), Y. Grandal (1)
DL: E. Cabrera ($1)
SP: F. Hernandez (39), G. Cole (30), C. Kluber (7), I. Kennedy (1), K. Lohse (2), D. Keuchel (1), J. Vargas (1)
RP: J. Papelbon (11), C. Qualls (1), S. Casilla (1), J. Petricka (1), A. Sanchez (1)
DL: H. Bailey (6)

#12 Sean-O

Sean-O

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

FWIW - In my local grocery store last night & saw the Sporting News & Lindy's magazines are out. $7.99 ea I believe.

CBS - 12 Team League - PPR
QB (1) - Brees
RB (2) - L. Bell, Ellington
WR (2) - J. Nelson, OBJ
WR/TE (1) - Landry
DST (1) - streaming
K (1) - streaming
Bench - Blount, P. Thomas, L. Murray, J. Stewart 

Yahoo - 10 Team League - PPR
QB (1) - Romo
RB (2) - Lacy, M. Lynch
WR (2) - A. Brown, V. Jackson
W/R/T (1) - Edelman
DST (1) - streaming
K (1) - streaming
Bench - Allen, M. Evans, McKinnon, J. Stewart

#13 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Anybody know what the deal is with Project Prospect? They've only done like two articles this winter.

"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#14 TheWrightStuff

TheWrightStuff

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

The Rotoworld fantasy magazine is out. I saw it in Target today.

2013 & 2014 Back to Back CHAMP!- Field of Dreams

(10 team, H2H, 5x5 [TB/OBP/R/SB/RBI...QS/W/K/ERA/WHIP]-No RP)

2015:
C-
1B-
2B-
3B-
SS-
OF-*Y.Puig

SP-*C.Hamels

*keepers

Let's go, Mets!

#15 BB Universe

BB Universe

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Saw at their website that the Fantasy Baseball Index Magazine will no longer be published. Some on-line Cheat Sheets may be available at some point.
That was one Magazine that I still liked to get - didn't always agree with some of the projections but the commentary was sometimes insightful.

#16 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Anybody know what the deal is with Project Prospect? They've only done like two articles this winter.

I remember reading some time in the Fall that Adam isn't doing a whole lot of work with the site anymore. The writing was on the wall when they decided to shut down their forums. I liked that website for a different point of view, but you get the feeling it didn't take off like they wanted it to and some people jumped ship.
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#17 LightTowerPower

LightTowerPower

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

MLBDepthCharts.com has their online Draft Kit up for sale. This website was on clubhouse confidential the other day on MLB Network so they have a good rep. Lots of good testimonials from subscribers in the comments section so I am thinking about purchasing it.

#18 LightTowerPower

LightTowerPower

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

The Rotoworld fantasy magazine is out. I saw it in Target today.

Saw it at walmart as well today. Baseball season is getting close!

#19 LightTowerPower

LightTowerPower

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Just ordered my Draft Kit from MLBDepthCharts.com. This thing is awesome. Recommend it to anyone that likes using excel as a draft day prepper.

#20 BB Universe

BB Universe

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Picked up the Rotoworld Mag last night and started reading it. As up to date on player moves as a magazine can be. Pretty good substantive articles. Has tiered rankings (haven't looked at those yet). Of course, the squibs on the individual players are good and projections (so far) in line with what one can expect (though print is a bit small).