Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Keeper Question, Keep 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 pierceNKC

pierceNKC

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,993 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

So I thought I was set with Adrian Peterson (Rd 2), Demaryius Thomas (Rd 4), and Randall Cobb (Rd 9).

However, with a late season surge of Russell Wilson (Rd 15) and David Wilson's (Rd 15) possibility of being "lead dog" in NY if Bradshaw hits the road, my keeper picture is looking a little murky.

I realize a lot can change between now and training camp, but as of today, who would your 3 keepers from this group be?

On a side note, I also have Dwayne Bowe (Rd 3) as an option (which I like with Reid in KC and if they resign him), but I figured he would be easier to toss aside than the others.
i'm in too many leagues.

#2 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I'd Keep AP, Demaryius Thomas, and David Wilson as of right now. First, I would never keep two WRs unless they were both top tier. I consider Demaryius Thomas top tier, but Randall Cobb still has a ways to go before I put him in that realm, aside from his solid season. Aaron Rodgers also tends to spread the ball a lot, where you know Thomas is Peyton's go to guy aside from Decker.

Reason why I pick David Wilson over Russell Wilson is because you have only seen one season of Russell, and he's in Seattle. He could have a sophmore slump next year and Seattle's receiving core is nothing to necessarily write home about, depise Russell's accuracy, and tendency to rush sometimes. David Wilson as far as I believe will be the man in NY next year, and even if it's Bradshaw to start the season, Wilson will get his touches still, he's too talented. Again though, a lot can change but if my deadline were tomorrow that's what I'd do.

#3 pierceNKC

pierceNKC

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,993 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Bump.

Thanks, any other opinions?
i'm in too many leagues.

#4 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I know it seems like a good idea to keep David Wilson but this kid will never be a consistently useful fantasy back IMO. He has made improvements in his blocking but remains one of the worst blockers in the NFL, he has major ball security issues, and is incapable of comprehending the playbook.

I personally don't see Coughlin keeping a guy like that on the field. Remember, everyone insisted that Wilson would steal Bradshaw's job this past season but who took the job when Ahmad went down? Andre Brown. Wilson hasn't improved THAT much since he was the guy who got passed over for Andre Brown.

You can buy into generic coachspeak if you want but the staff does not love the guy. The organization had their heart set on David Martin and panicked when he was picked by trading up and taking Wilson too high.

He is fast as hell and will keep a job in the league running back kicks, but he isn't really a "good football player".

High ceiling if he can ever somehow get all his issues sorted out, but I'm not taking a chance on him.

#5 pierceNKC

pierceNKC

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,993 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Anyone else?
i'm in too many leagues.

#6 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

As of right now I'm keeping your original three but as you said things can change between now and then.

http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=332997

#7 Rush2112

Rush2112

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,830 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

AP , Thomas , David Wilson. NYG want to give the ball to him a lot more, Since Bradshaw is always hurt & another year older and slower.

Edited by Rush2112, 10 January 2013 - 11:38 PM.

#8 NyjersInParis

NyjersInParis

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,496 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

ap and thomas are no brainers. id keep wilson because as a 15 rd pick hed be good value if hes the lead back. if hes not the lead back by the time you have to decide id keep wilson.

Team 1 12 team espn 9-3 qb rivers rb forte sjax wr jones jeffrey gordon te rudolph flex evans
k tucker def stream bn r. matthews mi. floyd l. murray herron west m. lewis
Team 2 10 team .5 ppr espn 6-6 qb wilson rb forte ellington wr bryant gordon green te rudolph flex white
k vinatieri def stream bn mason mi. floyd r. matthews gordon j. bell v. davis gray
Team 3 12 team yahoo 7-5 qb romo wr bryant ju. jones rb l. bell l. miller te witten flex gordon
k tucker def stream bn t. smith gordon j. bell herron l. murray sims
Team 4 10 team auction yahoo 6-6 qb rivers wr jeffery cobb benjamin rb lacy charles te gates flex gordon
k tucker def stream bn j. bell k. davis herron hill martin
Team 5 10 team yahoo 8-4 qb newton wr green cobb rb forte gore te kelce flex ellington
k parkey def stream bn b. tate r. matthews 
Team 6 10 team yahoo 8-4 qb brady wr megatron maclin rb murray l. bell te olsen flex gordon
k vinatieri def stream bn kaep matthews watkins mason d. walker (bye)
Team 7 10 team yahoo 7-5 qb romo wr julio jones maclin marshall rb lacy ellington te kelce
k bailey def stream bn r. matthews blue mi. floyd newton cj anderson 
Team 8 10 team 1 pt ppr auction yahoo 8-4 qb newton wr nelson maclin rb forte anderson te walker flex beckham jeffrey
k tucker def stream bn white j. bell shoelace

#9 pierceNKC

pierceNKC

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,993 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

the way russell wilson ended the year, its going to be tough to make a case for him not being worth my final keeper spot @ 15th round value.
i'm in too many leagues.

#10 pierceNKC

pierceNKC

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,993 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

bump
i'm in too many leagues.

#11 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

the way russell wilson ended the year, its going to be tough to make a case for him not being worth my final keeper spot @ 15th round value.

I disagree. I mean he's barely a top ten QB going into next season....if that. I think you'd regret it if you keep him over a more talented guy at a less deep position.

#12 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

AP, DT and Cobb are still your guys as of right now.

Russell Wilson isn't passing over those 3 any time soon, as much as Wilson presents moderately appealing keeper value, those 3 are above him easy.

David Wilson is the interesting factor, you'll have to see how this offseason plays out. If Bradshaw is gone OR Wilson is projected/announced as the starter, it's difficult to pass up that talent. If you want to take a chance on him despite his lack of being a complete back, Cobb would be the one to lose obviously, AP and DT are locks. I still lean towards Cobb, if Bradshaw is out of the picture entirely it's extremely close, however, don't forget Andre Brown would still be there regardless who they loved putting in for all the goal line looks to make sure Wilson owners go insane.

I would keep Bowe out of the picture, for now. If he happens to stay in KC, Cassel is not the QB that can allow Bowe's insane talent to finally be showcased properly. If Bowe finds a legitimate thrower, however, he could be considered over Cobb. Cobb is the conveniently safe bet, however, he's bound for some mind-numbing duds but it's hard to argue with Rodgers no1 wr.

#13 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

AP Thomas Wilson

#14 Bandito

Bandito

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,332 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Looks pretty clear now that Bradshaw's gone. AP, DT, Wilson.

12 team PPR, deep keeper, start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1flex ---> RE-BUILDING
Currently 10-14 (double headers)
    {3 2nd Rd picks and 2 3rds in 2015}
QB- Rodgers
RB- RJennings, Ingram, DRobinson, TRich, Hyde, AWilliams, Michael
WR- Maclin, LaFell, JMatthews, Britt, Johnson (MN)
TE- Daniels,  Cameron
D- 49ers

IR- Spiller, Cooks

#15 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

I'd still go with Cobb over David Wilson. Wilson has a long way to go before I buy into him being a capable NFL lead back. His inadequate blocking, poor ball security, and lack of understanding of the playbook are really difficult for me to get over. Especially when a guy with Cobb's ceiling is the alternative.

Edited by SenatorSpaceman, 07 February 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#16 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Stick with the AP, DT, Cobb

Russell is a no because QB is really deep and he's definitely not elite. You will be able to redraft him or find a comparable QB in the draft. David is a no because he will not be the sole RB there, Tom Coughlin is pretty much the founder of the RBBC system and has never looked back (Jones & the Barbarian might've been the first but i am not going to look that up.....and i just made everyone that reads this stupider for even including that irrelevance in this post, including myself). People assume because Bradshaw's out Wilson is the man. They will either resign Brown or find another RB via FA/draft. Coughlin has won 2 superbowls with the RBBC it's highly unlikely that's changing next season.

I understand the whole value of keeping the Wilsons at the cost of really low draft picks, but i think that logic is flawed. Past the top 3 rounds of the draft it's pretty much a crap shoot as to who emerges as the new stud and warrants being in the top 3 rounds the next year. You're hoping the Wilsons get better, where as you know your original 3 keepers have established value. all of those guys warrant top 3 round selection....opinions might defer slightly on Cobb, but he is still a far more proven commodity than David (std non-ppr scoring he finished # 17 WR, and that includes jennings being there as well as sitting out week 17 and not really playing weeks 2 & 3). keep Cobb & you're only giving up a 9th round pick.....keep David and you get your 9th round pick. Who are you picking from with a 9th rd pick? Since its a keeper league most all studs or high upside proven players (i.e. Cobb) aren't going to be available in the 9th. Essentially there's not a whole lot of difference between a 9th and 15th round pick, where as big difference between lets say a 2nd and 8th round pick. So weigh that against the difference between Cobb and Wilson. Bradshaw = 156 pts last year w/ missing 2 games so its reasonable to say David gets around that many points but that has a lot of unknowns, Cobb =160 pts (even more if your league counts return yards). I take Cobb as i know what he is capable of vs David is a guessing game (btw 160 pts is more than likely Cobb's floor). If you really like David you'll have a shot a redrafting him. Hope this helps you.

#17 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Russell is a no because QB is really deep and he's definitely not elite. You will be able to redraft him or find a comparable QB in the draft. David is a no because he will not be the sole RB there, Tom Coughlin is pretty much the founder of the RBBC system and has never looked back (Jones & the Barbarian might've been the first but i am not going to look that up.....and i just made everyone that reads this stupider for even including that irrelevance in this post, including myself). People assume because Bradshaw's out Wilson is the man. They will either resign Brown or find another RB via FA/draft. Coughlin has won 2 superbowls with the RBBC it's highly unlikely that's changing next season.

I agree with much of what you say in this paragraph. You kind of lost me in that second paragraph but that's not the point.

The point is....are you suggesting that Felix Jones and MB3 were the first RBBC ever?

Idk about that. I mean it's obviously not the easiest thing to quantify but I have been watching the NFL since '85 and I can remember several timeshares that pre-date Felix/MB3. That was like 4 years ago for crying out loud.

#18 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

I agree with much of what you say in this paragraph. You kind of lost me in that second paragraph but that's not the point.

The point is....are you suggesting that Felix Jones and MB3 were the first RBBC ever?

Idk about that. I mean it's obviously not the easiest thing to quantify but I have been watching the NFL since '85 and I can remember several timeshares that pre-date Felix/MB3. That was like 4 years ago for crying out loud.

HAHAHA, you just had to call me out & make me go and look it up......

-The infamous Jones/Barber RBBC started in 2005, 8 years ago

-Tom Coughlin started RBBC'in it in 2007 with Jacobs/D-Ward and has never looked back since then.

I grew up watching the Oilers, basically boycotted football from 1998-2002 (I still have a deep hatred for Bud Adams), started playing fantasy football in 2002, but didn't get really really into it until 2005 (Those college years can get kind of "hazy" sometimes). So that might explain my prior not so accurate statements. Thanks for making me feel like I'm still young, as I approach 30 in a few months & it's freaking me out.

#19 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Where exactly did you look that up?

Felix Jones' rookie season was 2008 so it's unlikely that he was in a timeshare with MB3 in 2005.

Bottom line, RBBC has been going on for decades to some degree. Obviously it's more prevalent now.

#20 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Tom Coughlin did not invent "hey, this guy offers a different skillset than this other guy. let's use both."