53 replies to this topic

#1 slaughterrt

slaughterrt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

Mccluster has definitely shown flashes, especially as a WR/RB hyrid. Chiefs were big on him coming out of college. From what I hear, bringing in Andy Reid is going to raise Mccluster's stock. Is he worth grabbing and stashing away in a dynasty format?
10 Team IDP Dynasty League (non ppr)
QB Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson
RB Alfred Morris, Daryl Richardson, Danny Woodhead, Joique Bell
WR James Jones, Antonio Brown, Eric Decker, Percy Harvin, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon, Danny Amendola
TE Aaron Hernandez, Kyle Rudolph
LB Daryl Washington, Wesley Woodyard, Mason Foster
DL J.J. Watt, Michael Johnson
DB Harrison Smith, Janoris Jenkins, Tim Jennings
K Blair Walsh

14 Team PPR Dynasty
QB Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco, Tim Tebow
RB LeSean McCoy, Adrian Peterson, Mikel Leshoure, Daryl Richardson, Bilal Powell
WR Randall Cobb, Victor Cruz, Miles Austin, Hakeem Nicks, Rod Streater, Julian Edelman
TE Aaron Hernandez, Dwayne Allen
DL Haloti Ngata, Julius Peppers, Carlos Dunlap, Matt Shaughnessy, CJ Mosley
LB James Laurinaitis, Chase Blackburn, Anthony Spencer, Perry Riley, Jameel Mcclain
DB Casey Hayward, Patrick Peterson, Morgan Burnett, Craig Dahl, Stephon Gilmore, Tavon Wilson
K Justin Tucker, Bal K

#2 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

You can pray that Charles gets hurt again for any shot for McCluster to produce consistently, but even when Charles went out for the yr in 2011 McCluster didn't really take advantage of his opportunities and produce....with Ried in town, you never know I guess. However, I'm not optimistic.

I've seen his flashes that you speak of, but I've also seen him not take advantage of golden opportunities when guys ahead of him in the depth chart go down. I'll pass.

#3 slaughterrt

slaughterrt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

True about him not taking advantage of opportunities...but i could see him as a 3rd down / passing down kind of back. Possibly a Percy Harvin type of utility player as well.

Also...i dont really see Peyton Hillis returning.
WR James Jones, Antonio Brown, Eric Decker, Percy Harvin, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon, Danny Amendola
K Blair Walsh

14 Team PPR Dynasty
RB LeSean McCoy, Adrian Peterson, Mikel Leshoure, Daryl Richardson, Bilal Powell
WR Randall Cobb, Victor Cruz, Miles Austin, Hakeem Nicks, Rod Streater, Julian Edelman
LB James Laurinaitis, Chase Blackburn, Anthony Spencer, Perry Riley, Jameel Mcclain
DB Casey Hayward, Patrick Peterson, Morgan Burnett, Craig Dahl, Stephon Gilmore, Tavon Wilson
K Justin Tucker, Bal K

#4 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

i could see WR3 value next year ... he's too tiny to ever be a stud WR or starting RB , but he's definitely got the talent worth getting 5-10 touches a game.

especially if/when bowe leaves ... not much else to throw to.

#5 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

i could see WR3 value next year ... he's too tiny to ever be a stud WR or starting RB , but he's definitely got the talent worth getting 5-10 touches a game.

True...his limited value, well-stated. He should be cheap in drafts if you want to take a chance on him.

#6 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

True...his limited value, well-stated. He should be cheap in drafts if you want to take a chance on him.

i've owned him every year ... pretty much given up hope of him ever truly breaking out ... just too tiny to break any tackles and his speed is somewhat negated by the speed of NFL defenders

but i think reid can draw up a few creative ways to get him the ball, and if bowe leaves he's pretty much gonna have to.

#7 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

i've owned him every year ... pretty much given up hope of him ever truly breaking out ... just too tiny to break any tackles and his speed is somewhat negated by the speed of NFL defenders

but i think reid can draw up a few creative ways to get him the ball, and if bowe leaves he's pretty much gonna have to.

Yeah a new coach, and a smart and innovative one at that, in Andy Ried is definitely the best silver lining to find in his outlook for next year. It's possible he finds a way to find him a productive and consistent role...he wasn't taken at the end of the first round for no reason, he's supposed to be an electric little guy that can be a back breaker, maybe the Chiefs had some Sproles-like aspirations when drafting him.

He's shown his flashes, but gets the good part of the blame for never really emerging with his chances. I do like Ried there though, and to McCluster's credit he's never really had the solid QB to throw him the ball as he's primarily a pass-catching RB. He's still younger in his career, and has at least a few reasons to be a late round pick next year. Chiefs have a long way to go to be a competent offense, which has a lot to do with McCluster's value, but we'll see.

#8 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

In Reid I trust on this one, I think he can maximize production out of a player like McCluster. For me he will hold way more value if he keeps his RB/WR designation on the platforms I'm on as I would want him as flex or to use if I have major injuries at either RB or WR.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***
Record: 2-4

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Julio Jones (2.09)
WR2: Roddy White
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Robbie Gould
Bench: Calvin Johnson (1.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, Carson Palmer, James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#9 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

yup, good point, the RB/WR tag has a lot to do with his value. If he's listed as such he can go anywhere on your roster which is great. While Ried, I'm sure, will be most focused on utilizing Charles correctly, he won't be overlooking McCluster's speedy talent that has yet to be unleashed in the NFL.

I realize now, McCluster is more than just a mere lottery ticket in drafts, some real potential wr3/flex potential here, despite seemingly being a bit of a long shot. He's at the very least worth a look in the late rounds, especially if you're running out of ideas there's no reason to shy away from this bench spot investment next year. And I don't really see a hype train getting started on this guy, he'll be a true bargain.

#10 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Update: Ried will officially be the OC in KC also, as recently reported.

Additional mention: Ried very much prefers a 3-down back in his offense. So I believe Ried will likely give Charles the heaviest workload of his career, leaving the amt of carries for McCluster to very few.

It's appearing that McCluster's best shot at fantasy relevance rests as almost exclusively as a WR. Maybe a not-as-extensive Cobb/Harvin role in his offense is something possible. Moving to a near full-time slot WR, getting bubble screens and shorter routes, and maybe a reverse or two a game. If there's a viable QB under center in KC next year, like I said, he's on my late-round radar.

#11 Mr. Roper

Mr. Roper

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Yeah I have given up on him also

#12 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

I think he is what we think he is. I don't think he has much more upside than he already has. Reid likes to throw the ball down the field and dump off to rbs. I don't really see a place for the mc luster type player. He's a smaller less athletic Harvin and don't think he is worth more than at best 50 yards a game.

#13 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Yeah like i said, I'm not optimistic. I don't see him being fantasy relevant. The few cases that he could be are stated well here, however. WR3 ceiling, if he's lucky.

#14 slaughterrt

slaughterrt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Yeah. I was being optimistic when i started this thread. There is always the chance that he could break out and be a decent flex. Definitely 2nd the notion of him keeping the wr/rb designation. Definitely helps his stock. Hope Reid can do something with him. It would be a waste of a high round pick.
K Blair Walsh

14 Team PPR Dynasty
K Justin Tucker, Bal K

#15 Stiltz

Stiltz

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

McCluster is listed as the #1 KR and PR on the KC depth chart. I'm in a return heavy return league (1pt.-10yds PPR), and he's on the WW. He's projected to get something like 270 pts in this league this year but that would be only if he was KR/WR. Anybody know anything helpful?
  • Golden Ratio likes this

#16 Gains

Gains

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

got him super late in a league that values KR/PR.

#17 Golden Ratio

Golden Ratio

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

McCluster is listed as the #1 KR and PR on the KC depth chart. I'm in a return heavy return league (1pt.-10yds PPR), and he's on the WW. He's projected to get something like 270 pts in this league this year but that would be only if he was KR/WR. Anybody know anything helpful?

I'm in a similar league, and lo and behold his projections have him outscoring all but my top half dozen picks. I double-checked, too. He is still listed as the primary KR and PR on their depth chart.
POS FIRST SECOND THIRD OTHER P Dustin Colquitt Ryan Succop K Ryan Succop Dustin Colquitt KO Ryan Succop Dustin Colquitt LS Thomas Gafford H Dustin Colquitt Chase Daniel PR Dexter McCluster Devon Wylie KR Dexter McCluster Devon Wylie

http://www.kcchiefs....epth-chart.html

Needless to say, I added him. ;)

Edited by Golden Ratio, 29 August 2013 - 06:25 PM.

"The Hafner argument has been conceded as a bad argument, since Hafner is only DH-eligible, and he's a moldy clementine." -RotoRaysFan

#18 Taxman

Taxman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

Anybody have any thoughts on McCluster this year? Projections? Just trying to gage his value this year.
1st Fantasy pick ever Thurman Thomas #3 Overall. Should have taken Jerry Rice.

#19 GoalineD

GoalineD

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

In my league service hes only listed as a wr. I can safely say unless he turns into wes welker then he will remain on waivers. The flexibility of his position status was his best attribute.

#20 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,738 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Reid turned "small" players into stars before. See Westbrook, Brian.

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 6

"Formerly" All About the Benjamin

2nd Place
12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (Backups Michael Crabtree and Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Kelce (backup Cameron)
FLEX Ben Tate (can also play cordarrelle or crabtree here)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users